[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Posted this on /fit/ and they told me to come here and ask. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: mountain_bike_jumping.jpg (477KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mountain_bike_jumping.jpg
477KB, 2000x1000px
Posted this on /fit/ and they told me to come here and ask. I want to buy a cheap reliable bike to ride to the gym and back. What should I look for in a bike?
>>
>>989244

A used 80/90 road one.
>>
Two wheels. No rust.
>>
File: dew.jpg (83KB, 1000x593px) Image search: [Google]
dew.jpg
83KB, 1000x593px
>>989244
Low price. No dampers of fluff. The €400 plain Kona Dew is a good choice. Lack of discs are not an issue for fair weather casual riding.
>>
Assuming it's a short ride on paved surfaces, head to Walmart and grab whatever is on sale. It will be cheap, more than adequate and won't be a target for thieves.

Real talk. No one else here will agree, but I'm 100% correct.
>>
>>989513
Only do this if you want to end up hating cycling.
>>
>>989514

Or want a cheap bike to ride to the gym.

If you think cycling may be a hobby you'd like to pursue, there may be merit in finding yourself a more 'enthusiast ' level bike otherwise- clunker.
>>
>>989517
If you ride a piece of shit from Walmart youll hardly enjoy it and thua never consider it as a hobby
>>
>>989517
>unless motoring will be a hobby you should buy the shittiest stinkiest rustiest car you can find that only sometimes start
>unless youll be a professional chef you want the dullest knife block walmart knives you can find
>unless youll be competing in marathon races you want the worst fitting cheapest shoes you can get your hands on
>unless youll be a professional carpenter you want fucked up screwdrivers a rusty saw and a hammer where the head comes off if you swing it too hard
>unless youll be a professional musician youll not want better than your laptop speakers
Anon, you're a moron. There's a great deal to be said for having decent gear. We're not talking $40.000 pro pelothon racing bikes. Just a decent base line.

Which you'll never understand because you're a neet/bum, but the rest of us try to treat ourselves to halfway nice things and maintain a decent quality of life.
>>
>>989514
I did this... sort of. It was actually just my Dad's I found in the garage but it was a cheap piece of shit. I have nothing to compare it to and I don't know how big a difference a better one will make. I'm reluctant to blame the equipment because I am incredibly unfit right now but I do wonder if I'm making it exceptionally difficult for myself. I just don't want to spend money until I'm in a regular routine and know I'll stick at it.
>>
>>989521
> We're not talking $40.000 pro pelothon racing bikes
no i think he should go with the $40 pro racing back
>>
>>989244
if it's less than 5km, literally anything

5km-15km, any 80s/90s road bike or a 90s rigid mountain bike with slick tyres. Make sure it fits.

more than 15km, you'll want a modern road bike unless you've gotta take it offroad. Go to a shop.

>riding a bike to the gym
>not just riding for the exercise itself
>>
>>989244
>know nothing about bikes at the time
>work colleague rides bike in
>tells everyone is a £1000 bike he got for £200
>believed him for ages
>get interested in cycling recently
>decide to look it up
>£200 at Halford's

Kek

Don't be that guy.
>>
OP here. I have 0 interest in cycling as a hobby. I just want a bike for a 5 - 10 minute ride down to the gym and back. That's literally all I'll ever use it for.
>>
>>989513
Have fun when your bike disintegrates in a couple months
>>
>>989739

It really doesn't matter, especially since you yourself said you dont even care. There's plenty of good advice in this thread but if you really don't care then just buy whatever you want, if you want a shitty little bmx to look cool, or you want a full sus mountain bike, just buy it, it won't make any difference for a 5 minute ride. Have a look second hand on craigslist, pick whatever you like the look of and try and get a friend or someone who knows a little bit about bikes to come with you and give a second opinion about the condition of the bike etc.
>>
>>989739

So... What I said up there is 100% accurate like I said. Don't listen to these retards OP- anything will get the job done for you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.