[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /n/ So I lived in a city until last month. I now live in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Comfyroad126.jpg (262KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Comfyroad126.jpg
262KB, 1024x768px
Hey /n/
So I lived in a city until last month. I now live in a more rural area and really want to start mountain biking as a hobby. There are some great trails within 2 miles of me so it would be perfect.

I know absolutely nothing about mountain bikes. I did a bit of reading on some forums and it was mostly websites shilling their brand. I am looking for one that is under $450 and won't break on me doing some downhill biking on rocks/roots. I hear Diamondback makes some good starting bikes but I know nothing about mtb so I can't tell if it's true.

Any Mtb vets have any tips or advice on picking the right bike?
>>
>>988571
>I am looking for one that is under $450 and won't break on me doing some downhill biking on rocks/roots
Then you have to buy used. pinkbike.com/buysell
Look for a hardtail, they're cheaper, and at your pricepoint, you'll probably have to go hardtail unless you want something shitty.
>>
Btw Kona makes good stuff. But so do a lot of companies.
Oh and while hardtails aren't designed for downhill, you'll have to pay at least $1500 or so for a downhill/enduro bike, maybe $1000 if you get lucky. And that's if you're buying used. If you mean lift accessed downhill then you're out of luck at 450. If you mean just something that is capable of going over rocks/roots while descending during your cross country rides, then a used hardtail could do the trick.
>>
>>988587
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>988589
Sorry if I didn't clarify enough. Yeah I meant I need a bike that can handle a steady decline that has some rocks and a lot of roots. I think the steepest part of the trail is about 35 degrees. Would a hardtail be fine for that?
>>
>>988593
>35 degrees
I HIGHLY doubt that it is anywhere near that steep for more than a few feet. Do you realize that 35 degrees will feel almost like a drop off?

Anyway, a hardtail can be used for riding downhill even through pretty techy stuff, you just have to pick your line more carefully. The bike won't do the work for you. With full suspension you can just plow right over everything in your path. Don't expect to be flying through a rock garden at 30mph on a hardtail, but if your goal is to be able to simply make it down the descents in one piece, then you'll be fine.
>>
>>988595
Yeah I won't be going fast for the downhill portions. Most of the trail is uphill or level with a lot of curves and hills. The last part though is what worries me. It's steep and has a lot of rocks and big roots. It is only about 40 yards long though so it isn't too bad.
>>
>>988601
You'll be fine then, you'll just have to take that last 40 yards slow and careful.
Basically, it comes down to this: You can ride pretty much anything on a hardtail, the gnarly descents just won't be as much fun because you can't ride as hard on them as if you were on an enduro/dh rig.
>>
>>988605
Right on. Thanks for all the info!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.