[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The seat stays on the AWOL are quite thin aren't they.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: bikey.jpg (339KB, 1850x361px) Image search: [Google]
bikey.jpg
339KB, 1850x361px
The seat stays on the AWOL are quite thin aren't they.

Which is best around the world touring bicycle?
>>
the one that fits you just right
>>
Something by Thorn.
>>
>>985495
>no genesis vagabond/datum/tour de fer
>no salsa deadwood/vaya
>disappoint.jpg
>>
>>985495

there is no right answer , only a wrong one.
the surly is the wrong one.
I don't evene hate surly like so many other people.
but that horizontal top tube is just retarded.
what is up with those chimney stacks.

anyway.
just try out as many as you can and see wich one you like best.
I fancy the awol.
the genesis tour de fer is also nice
>>
>>985667
>what is up with those chimney stacks.
Short heatube excerts more force on- and flexes the top- and downtube when forces act on the fork. You get a smoother ride with a short headtube and a spacer stack than a high head tube and stiff front end that will more directly transfer buzz and bumps. If you let stack scale with bike size the larger sizes will ride harsh compared to the smaller ones.
Shedfire used to design this way too, for the same reasons.
>>
Whichever you're the most comfortable on.
>>
File: four-corners_1140_658_80_s.jpg (104KB, 1140x658px) Image search: [Google]
four-corners_1140_658_80_s.jpg
104KB, 1140x658px
here's another 1
>>
>>985495
Of those three, the AWOL is probably the way to go. The 520 is overpriced for what it is and has the least tire clearance. The Surly could be decent, but geometry-wise it's not slack like a touring bike ought to be.

Really, the Surly makes for a better grocery-getter or commuter. The 520 might be fine if it's on sale and/or you want to stick solely to pavement. If you know your tour is going to take you over rough roads or through the woods (or if you just want wider tires for better comfort), go for the AWOL.
>>
>>985495
the frankenstein's monster bike you end up with after years of experimentation

and it's weird that none of those bikes have dynamo powered lighting because that's probably gonna be one of the first things you'll want on a srsbznss touring bike cycle
>>
AWOL owner here, great all around bike. It came with Fatboy tires, which I didn't like, had them switched out for Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
>>
The Surly ECR and the new Salsa 29+ Fargo. I prefer the more upright Jones bar fit of the ECR, that thing's a sled with 2.2-2.5" tyres on it. Put on 3" and go anywhere it laughs at terrain and loads.
>>
>>985881

Dynamos fail.
>>
>>985950
So do battery-powered lights and literally everything else, which is why you prepare for those eventualities as best you can. Having wheel-powered light generation (and USB charging) with a battery-powered spare is a good idea if you're going to be doing much night riding in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>985958

As someone who's actually toured, I can tell you that the vast majority of your riding is at daytime and only blog readers believe shit that you wrote. Get yourself a generator if you like, but don't kid yourself that the're more important than having a bulletproof hub.
>>
>>985960
>implying I haven't toured
>implying your experiences are universal
>implying dynamo hubs with quality bearings are any more likely to fail than non-dynamo hubs
>all these dumb as shit implications
Shimano, SP, and Schmidt hubs are all Just Fine. The biggest problem is the initial expense, and I guess that if you like fording streams, you have to be careful to not submerse them. And even if you aren't using them to power your main lighting (and you'll want a helmet light anyway), the benefits of producing your own electricity while on tour are pretty big.
>>
>>985958
lights on a tour are just for when it's rainy or you're late getting to your camping spot and you need to make sure cagers don't wreck your ass

most touring cyclists ride during the daylight hours so having lights on all the time isn't strictly necessary
>>
>>985673

you are the first person to ever explain this in a reasonable way.
thanks.
>>
Depends on where you ride. I mostly ride trails and forrest, so Jamis Renegade been working good for me, but if you are more of an agressive rider, get a rigid niner like salsa fargo.
>>
>>985990
>>implying dynamo hubs with quality bearings are any more likely to fail than non-dynamo hubs

More parts = more failures
>>
26" or gtfo
>>
>>986023
>More parts = more failures
While technically wrong it's also irrelevant as the hub portion of the dynamo hub isn't dependent on the dynamo part. Congratulations on being two kinds of wrong at the same time! You win no cooklies!
(Candy-ass.)
>>
>>985993
dynamo lights aren't on all the time, because during the daytime, there are far better uses for the electricity, such as charging your GPS or iWhatever.
>>
what do you guys think about the sequoia.
not for cross uganda trips but maybe 2 weeks in sweden ?
>>
>>986167
Looked at the picture and thought alloy. Read the specs and it said chromo. I'm so confused right now and that's got the be the ugliest chromo headtube ever. It's even worse than some of the Konas'.

Anyway, I guess you're thinking about the Sora build? Specs look decent enough, but at £1000 list price it's a non-starter. And I'll forever hate you for funding the Specialized war on independent wheelbuilders, cyclists cafés and bike culture in general.
For that kind of money I'd buy a Genesis Vagabond frameset and have it built up with hydro STI/Doubletap according to your preference. Shimano system wheels and the Apex 1 group, for example.

Häggs imports Genesis if you're in Sweden. Give him a call and see what can be done within your budget.
>>
>>986167
Nah. I and my buddy rode for couple of weeks in sweden both asphalt and shittiest dirt roads. He did it with old ten speed Peugeot. And the only problem was cheap panniers that almost fall apart on the bumpy dirt roads. So I don't think you should worry about your bike if you only ride short trips now and then. But I don't know anything about your said bike.
>>
>>985495
that green one in the middle is secksi as fuark
>>
>>985495
I saw one of those AWOL's built up. Pretty nice looking. It even comes with a front rack
>>
>>985495
imo the surly

awol is good if you're going offroad more
but there's a reason the LHT has the reputation it does. There's so much in it to make it the perfect touring bike that can take anything.

>>986214
yeah, that's the elite model i believe. Huge beefy tires on em.
>>
>>986356
Except a kickstand
>>
File: Hobootleg_55fc1ec57cf38.jpg (113KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hobootleg_55fc1ec57cf38.jpg
113KB, 1000x600px
No Cinelli Hobootleg?
>>
>>986171
>independent wheelbuilders, cyclists cafés and bike culture in general

you know, some people just want to fucking ride a bicycle
>>
>>986167
if you're swedish you know we have bike roads everywhere and a sequoia is not needed, just go to a bike shop and get a used nishiki mtb or cyclepro

though desu when i saw the sequoia it did look schmexy, men om du har pengar
>>
>>986362
I know you're trying to be funny, but for the record Surly never claimed you can't mount a kickstand. They said that overtightening the clamp of a kickstand, which is all too easy to do with a long hex even by hand, will crush the seatstay. It's kind of like saying you can damage your frame by putting the top tube in a vice and cranking down.
They also explained their rationale for not using a kickstand plate like some do.
>>
>>986402
Exactly. And some people like to sue people who just want to ride a bicycle. Specialized is some of those people. If you just want to ride a bike, don't fund them.
>>
File: 1469541918133.jpg (158KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1469541918133.jpg
158KB, 800x900px
>>986372
>those skimpy ass fenders
lewd
>>
File: 20160725_181135.jpg (3MB, 3453x1943px) Image search: [Google]
20160725_181135.jpg
3MB, 3453x1943px
The AWOL is a great clothes rack.

Also the slanted geometry makes it pretty comfortable too because the seat to bar drop is almost nonexistent.
>>
>>986411
ok, you make a point, ill buy a local brand
>>
I have the trek 520 disc and have to say its a pretty fantastic bike, I can understand why you would opt for the LHT for the extra tyre clearance though and I have also seen the AWOL set up with 27.5X2.2 mtb tyres which is a cool feature for offroad oriented touring. You should also consider the Surly Troll, theyve just previewed the 2017 model which is the first time its not suspension corrected which looks pretty good
>>
>>986167
>not for cross uganda trips but maybe 2 weeks in sweden

There's a difference?
>>
>>985673
and what are the advantages of the sloped top tube geometry? Why are most modern frames sloped?
>>
>>987621
it helps plebs who are afraid of owies on their ballsack
>>
What about the Soma Wolverine?

Seems to get more praise than any of those in OP

AWOL is cool looking but heavy as fuck

35lbs touring/adventure bike? No thanks.
>>
>>987636
>Seems to get more praise than any of those in OP
... seriously? The LHT/DT are probably the two most iconic production touring bikes in recent history.
>>
>>987638
I thought Surly's kind of lost their hipness in the past couple years for being overpriced for what you get? (Lower grade tubing that is both heavy and harsh riding, cheap powder coat paintjobs, made in asia, more expensive than stuff from soma, trek, salsa, etc)
>>
????
>>
File: Specialized-Sequoia-1.jpg (1MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Specialized-Sequoia-1.jpg
1MB, 2000x1333px
>>987640
i'd buy that bike in a heartbeat if it had thru axles, but at least there's the specialized sequoia coming out soon which is almost the same and has the thru axles i want
>>
>>987653
>garbon fork

nope
abort abort abort
>>
>>987665
the bottom end model comes with a steel fork
>>
File: eeeehhh.jpg (41KB, 522x464px) Image search: [Google]
eeeehhh.jpg
41KB, 522x464px
>>987653
>no rack or fender mounts
>>
>>987672
by the seatpost, and the dropouts
>>
>>985495
The one with front suspension and no disc brakes.
>>
File: specialized-awol-elite-26970_1.jpg (243KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
specialized-awol-elite-26970_1.jpg
243KB, 940x627px
OP here.

AWOL is on sale local at the moment so I'll get that, thanks chaps.
>>
File: nigger.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
A Japanese OTS with a slammed stem.
>>
>>987672
you 'tarded, m8?
>>
>>988222
good choice. we carry a lot of AWOLs at my shop, and they're pretty cool.
>>
>>988222

ffs i want that saddle bag w2c?
>>
>>988404
it's from revelate designs.
>>
>>987639

>competitor marketer
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.