[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/n/, is it weird to never stand up when pedaling, especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15

File: Stand+Climb[1].jpg (111KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
Stand+Climb[1].jpg
111KB, 460x345px
/n/, is it weird to never stand up when pedaling, especially up a hill?

I have a decent road bike and I never, ever stand up when pedaling, not even for a few revolutions, but I always see the guys who are more into riding doing it, even the ghetto kids on shitty bikes.

I don't think I have the balance to do it, but I also don't see the point, I go pretty smoothly sitting down (I'm a novice so it isn't going really fast and smooth, but standing up seems to jerk around a lot)
>>
i avoid it because it feels like im damaging the bike and i like to be nice
>>
>>983555
>I don't think I have the balance to do it

Then you shouldn't be riding a bike, let alone on public streets. Ugh I bet you run clipless too.
>>
I hardly ever stand, mostly just to stretch when my butt gets sore. I usually shift up 2 - 4 gears before standing depending on the cassette setup. Its annoying if you spin out a gear while standing, since you can't shift with that much load on the drivetrain.

If I encounter a short hill I'll stand instead of downshifting. But with bigger hills its not worth the effort as you'll just spike your HR and buildup lactic acid.
>>
I like to stay in the seat, I avoid mashing to protect my knees and like to spin really fast in a low gear

Probably stupid but it feels good.

I'm in the drops 90% of the time too. yolo
>>
Standing while pedaling is fine for the bike. Pros do it all the time and any lasting damage you put on the crankset or chain will be negligible in the long run when you have to replace them for common reasons.

It's just a different technique. I enjoy staying out for longish periods just because it's a little more comfortable on a long ride, myself.
>>
>>983555
Spinning up hills like you do is generally considered the preferred way to do it.

>>983564
This guy is kind of right though. This is really worrisome.
>>
Ive been cycling for almost 4 years now and just recently I've been starting to get out of the saddle.

Sitting is fine - its efficient, it doesn't utilize a lot of muscle groups (thus reducing strain and helping you conserve energy) and is a great way to pace yourself. Lets not forget that you spare your bottom bracket and your front wheel/forks/handlebars by staying in saddle.

The thing though is that being on the saddle gets boring after a while. There's nothing quite like going high gear, standing up, pumping out your chest, and producing tons of watts to get you through those hills. The first few days/weeks of riding out of the saddle it will take toll on you but eventually you don't want to go back. Your legs adapt to the new riding demands/cycling position, and you start notice significant changes (i.e. higher average power output/speed, increased endurance/fitness etc.)

You'll eventually want to stand up. Trust me.
>>
I'm the opposite having rode bmx makes me want to stand. Sitting up hills feels slow and hard.
>>
I usually only get out of the saddle on very steep climbs or if I want to give my back a break for a minute or two (herniated disc). Sometimes I just want to shred up a hill though so I'll stand up and sprint until I get to the top.

There's no right or wrong way to do it but sitting down is the most efficient.
>>
Only get up on fixed gear and it feels gudman. Otherwise I like fast pedaling on low gear when out with mtb.
>>
Depends on how steep and/or long the hill is
In any case it's nice to stand up on the pedals once in a while
>>
sometimes I need to stand so I can reach down my bib shorts and wank blood back into my dick
>>
>>983606
This is what a domestique is for.
>>
>>983555
it depends on the rider. the smaller, lighter guys can usually stand on the pedals and be fine but bigger riders are often better suited to just mashing in the seat. I know thats how i am and it works for me better than standing.

Then again, my riding position is so pitched forward that im almost practically in the position anyways, as far as my lower body is concerned
>>
idk my brother's bike seat is too high so I can't reach the pedals
>>
Standing is basically for when you want to charge/sprint... if you are a filthy casual then it makes complete sense that you never stand. And why the fuck are you riding a bike or even living if you can't balance standing on a bike?
>>
File: WATSON_00001362-6691.jpg (404KB, 938x1409px) Image search: [Google]
WATSON_00001362-6691.jpg
404KB, 938x1409px
>>983649
You stand to stretch and use different muscles. It's a fundamental part of reducing fatigue.
>>
>>983678
cool
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (198KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
198KB, 3000x1688px
>>983678
>look /n/ i passed some tryhard in spandex on my rigid mtb

It's called lycra faggot
>>
>>983672
is that a trek?
>>
>>983684
its the first compact geo bike
>>
>>983684
its a 3rensho dumbass
>>
>>983567
Good discipline to never apply torque when shifting.
>>
>>983567
>since you can't shift with that much load on the drivetrain
Learn to soft pedal, it's easy to shift while standing.
>>
>>983693
Tricky with barend shifters.
>>
>>983555
>/n/, is it weird to never stand up when pedaling, especially up a hill?
Pedaling while standing is actually incredibly inefficient. I interpret it as a sign that you're lacking in the ability to produce Force (i.e, your legs and/or core are weak). Now, at the start of a sprint you should be standing, because you can produce a fuck-ton of power that way, but only for a short period of time. But if you don't need to stand to climb hills, then you're either strong enough that you don't need to, or you're just not climbing them very fast. Since we know nothing about you then it's impossible to say which is the case.

As a sidebar to this: What I absolutely hate? Guys that stand on the climbs, but they can't transition from seated to standing and back to seated smoothly; they end up slowing down for about a second, and if you're on their wheel, you either have to brake or evade to not run into them.

>>983691
Sometimes you don't have a choice.
>>
>>983567
>I hardly ever stand, mostly just to stretch when my butt gets sore

>ride a long stretch of low grade "up hill" road
>stand up on the final metres since I am weak ass and barely started riding road
>my dick starts to tingle so hard I nearly fall off the pedals (and cum)
I froze in the position until the sensation became bearable. Started to go back down a little bit too.
Is this normal. I mean the dick thing and not necessarily being shit.
>>
>>983728
This happens to me as well, it's just the result of blood rushing back into your dick, buy a better seat if you want to have babbies.
>>
>he doesn't dance up hills
Any small hill that I can push through standing I do. Instead of changing down I'll stay in the same gear or even change up and get standing on my bike. Gear changes while standing aren't really a problem once you get used to it and time it correctly.

And if it's a longer climb I'll get out of saddle often to change it up. While it might not be as energy efficient it makes climbing so much more fun. And as I ride for fun instead of racing all that matters is how much fun I'm having.

Your body also gets used to riding standing if you do it often. Just like any physical activity. So get out of the saddle and enjoy those climbs.

>>983728
The blood flow to your dick was most likely restricted while you were seated and once to got out of the saddle the flow got back to normal which causes a tingling sensation. Might want to look at getting new saddle if you don't want to end up with erectile dysfunction.

Check out the saddle thread.
>>
>>983735
>>983736
Ah LEL.
Anyway, I did over 1k km already and the no-blood for my dick only happened at that one point (and on a route I already rode a week earlier with no sensations), so I'll hold the saddle swap just a bit more.
Would be more concerned with the tip of my right hand index finger getting numb after a ride, if it wasn't already getting less and less intense. A week or two and it'll go away completely, right?

>if you want to have babbies
Tfw dick tingling and no gf around (or at all).
>>
>>983555

lol wut

Next someone is probably going to tell that they can't ride without hands... 4chinners never fail to disappoint me.
>>
>>983741
>hand numbness

Also happens to me, shift your body backwards, hold yourself up with your core, rather than your hands, try to to have your wrists straightened out and don't lock elbows, that all should help.
>>
>>983745
It's only in one fingertip, though.
>shift your body backwards, hold yourself up with your core, rather than your hands, try to to have your wrists straightened out and don't lock elbows
Yeah I try to keep that at all times. Still, the stem feels a little bit too long for me (but that's mostly because I come from a very upright position) and I ride longer distances than what I used to.
Cheers.
>>
>>983728
I have a theory that this happens when I fold my dick wrong and the fabric of the shorts rubs against the tip, but the restricted blood flow prevents me from sensing it. Then when I stop or stand up for a while it realizes it's been jacked off for the past hour.
>>
File: IMAG1557.jpg (3MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1557.jpg
3MB, 2688x1520px
>>983555
My seat was stolen last week and I had to stand for my commute for an entire week until I could afford to replace the seat. Now Ive chained my new seat to my frame, pic related. Captcha: select all images with bicycles
>>
>>983914
Is that a quick release seatpost clamp? If not I don't understand why someone would go through the effort to steal it.
>>
>>983918
No its not, and the seatpost and clamp were also stolen. Bike theft is a major nuissance where I live, I got two bikes stolen in 1 week when I first moved, and every day I see bikes locked up missing wheels or seats or even pedals.
>>
>>983914
>seat
lemme guess you also have a "flat wheel" and your "steering wheel" is bent
>>
>>983923
Seat is a perfectly valid term, it attaches to a seat post that goes inside a seat tube which is supported by seat stays. Saddles go on horses.
>>
>>983925
shut up seat loving prick!
Ill have you know that shifting the gears on my deraillior and pressing the break levers have made me VERY rich!

Meanwhile you cant even cycle your mother
>>
>>983923
And I suppose you regularly repurpose your "saddlepost" to stimulate your "boypussy"
>>
>>983927
Yes and I punctured my "rubber rim" last night feels batman.
>>
>>983923
>seatpost
>a post for a seat
>>
>>983919
Where is this crime ridden area, anon?
>>
>>983925
hm good point it's almost as if cycling has a lot of pointless traditionalism
>>
>>983555
lel... thought I was the only one.

I think the main reason why people do it is to utilise your full body weight to stem agains the pedals and thus generate 'easier' peddling motions when it gets really hard and/or to accelerate from standing faster.

I did it plenty of times when I was a kid. But nowadays I feel insecure as soon as my ass leaves the saddle, so I'd rather not try it.

[spoiler]I feel old and shitty for it.[/spoiler]
>>
>>984053
>flat pedals
casual
>>
>>983728
The reason your penis and taint/testicles go numb when riding a bike isn't because of blood flow, it's because your pudendal nerve passes right through your perenium (taint). Sitting on your bike seat for extended periods impinges on that nerve and causes numbness
>>
File: 1456687200031.jpg (80KB, 500x737px) Image search: [Google]
1456687200031.jpg
80KB, 500x737px
How casual do you have to be to never get out of the saddle? HOW. FUCKING. CASUAL?

PROFESSIONAL CLIMBING TIP: On sustained climbs get out of the saddle every few minutes for at least a few seconds to stretch your casual baby muscles. Feels good man.

Even when I'm commuting on a road bike I get out of the saddle for a little for no good reason at all. Sometimes it's just fun and feels good.

Anyways, if you're on a MTB or hybrid, just stay seated and keep your cadence below 40 and just fuck your line up all over the place, senpai.
>>
>>983914
You could just hot glue a ball bearing in the bolts
>>
>>984093
So is this all this board is? People one upping each other and insulting and denigrating each other for riding bikes differently than you?

That's all I see on here really
>>
>>983555
What a fucking downtube.
>>
>>983728
y-you guys... c-cum while riding?

how? my friend wants to know...
>>
>>984116
I like how you ignore the vast majority of posts that aren't like that
>>
>>984116
this is a designated shitposting thread
>>
>>983914
At least your cats are tidy.
>>
>>983568
>low gear
>in the drops

Pick the first and spend more times in the hoods.
>>
>>983555
I do it for quick bursts out of a tight corner or from a standstill to get back to cruising speed without having to shift. I really only use it for quick accelerations in a big gear, when I am going full pelt up a short steep hill im always in the saddle because I feel much more comfortable delivering power in the saddle at high cadence, even for short periods.

I tried to get out of the saddle on longer climbs because people said the variation is good, but after half a minute my legs end up feeling tired, and thats when going quite a bit slower than when I am in the saddle.

that contador lad is a madman I tell you.
>>
>>983568
Unless you're climbing trails on a Cyclo cross bike thas bad and slow stop it

>>983562
>>983567
>>983703
>>984053
Weak, slow, uncoordinated, faggots.

>>983741
You're just a pussy with a poorly fitted bike

>>987182
Get in better shape

I'm really high and bored so there's my input.

Here's a shitty video

https://youtu.be/ZmOh3O6YelQ
>>
>>987758
you input is useful to no-one, to be quite honest

kindly stop posting you degenerate
>>
File: 1442714512015.jpg (32KB, 540x523px) Image search: [Google]
1442714512015.jpg
32KB, 540x523px
>>987762
>no one cares about your opinion
>here's my opinion

You cared enough to respond you hypocritical salty bitch go fuck your mother

Who said I care if it's useful? This board isn't useful you could just Google any of the autistic questions I've seen on /n/.

Also
>degenerate

You're wasting your time on 4chan shut the fuck up.
Your just as much of a degenerate as me who the Fuck do you think you're kidding?
>>
>>987764
You're one of the worst posters of /n/. Obviously there's no point in asking you to stop posting, I just hope you're aware of that.
>>
File: lightsandshit.jpg (320KB, 3048x1640px) Image search: [Google]
lightsandshit.jpg
320KB, 3048x1640px
>>987772
The burden.
It's really really hard to give a shit about your opinion when you're taking the time to respond at this hour on a Saturday night.
>>
File: 1408918950657.jpg (60KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1408918950657.jpg
60KB, 640x640px
>>984161
My sides
>>
If standing on the bike is hard, the top tube may be too short. That's the case when people try to make roadbikes hybrids with <90mm stems.
>>
File: 133734306960.gif (3MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
133734306960.gif
3MB, 290x189px
>>983555
Just how fucking obese are you?
>>
When I first started cycling I was 120KG's and it was super hard to get up any hills so I had to stand up and rock side to side :(

I'm 82kgs now and I hardly ever stand up I just go into a low gear and spin.
>>
>>983672
oh my god that crank is amazing
>>
>>983702
Except who the fuck is standing up on a TT bike!
Do you mean friction shifters?
>>
File: allegedly.jpg (24KB, 348x339px) Image search: [Google]
allegedly.jpg
24KB, 348x339px
>>987928
Some retards have taken to installing barcon shifters on their """touring""" bikes because they can allegedly be serviced in the field with paper clips and yak butter if you get a breakdown on the weekly trip to the coffee shop. We call them hipsters and kill them whenever we can get away with it.
>>
>>983588
R u me
>>
File: kek.png (566KB, 1183x895px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
566KB, 1183x895px
>>987970

wut

you do understand that barcons were literally invented for touring bikes, right?

They are touring shifters which have been adopted by the TT & trifag community, not TT shifters which have been adopted by the touring community.
>>
File: bibendum_facepalm.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
bibendum_facepalm.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>988010
>woooosh
You sure look dapper with your 27.5+ road tyre, Brooks, pizza rack and barcon touring machine outside SB. Stay ahead of the curve, you free-thinker.
>>
Mostly grab the top of the handlebars, low gear and spin.

Standing is okay, but its a huge trade off. If theres a small part of a climb that's really steep, go for it.
>>
>>988753
>Standing is okay, but its a huge trade off.
That's completely individual though. Look at Alberto Contador and a few others. Some are much more comfortable standing up in the climbs, and sometimes even on the flats once in a while.
If you have a body that's more comfortabel standing up - stand up. It's a perfectly valid riding style.
>>
File: contador_standing.jpg (54KB, 480x267px) Image search: [Google]
contador_standing.jpg
54KB, 480x267px
>>988757
>pic
>>
>>983555
I used to do it a lot as a kid. I just went out for my first ride today in over a decade and standing both hurt like fuck and sent me all over the shop because of shitty balance.

Clearly whatever muscles it uses are now jello.
>>
>>983555
yes, it's quite weird. standing allows you to put power into the pedals with a different motion than sitting, thereby recruiting different muscles. this is useful for both climbing and sprinting purposes.

On a short enough climb, standing can be a faster way to just get it over with. On a longer climb, standing can give your sit bones a rest and break up the monotony of spinning.

For sprinting, you'll never achieve maximum speed without standing.

Every cyclist should know how stand and pedal.
>>
>>983555
You should be getting out of the saddle every so often during a ride to not fuck up your special areas.
>>
Just so you know OP, riding out of the saddle is much easier with clipless pedals since you don't have to be concerned about your feet being thrown off when your putting down those sikk wattz.
>>
File: 1469940586999.jpg (49KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
1469940586999.jpg
49KB, 400x343px
>tfw the frame is too big for standing
>>
>>991752
I once saw a small kid riding an adult framed bike and they were sort of standing inside the frame to one side with their shoulder resting on the top tube.
>>
>>991641
>For sprinting, you'll never achieve maximum speed without standing.
> what is track cycling
They almost never get out of saddle unless to accelerate. Maximum speed can be achieved in saddle.
>>
You can also apply more power to the pedals by pulling up on the bars to force your body lower. Its something I do mostly on steep loose surface climbs where standing would just spin out the rear wheel. Also handy in winter when you unexpectedly lose momentum but too much load on chain to shift.
>>
>>991752
There's no such thing
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.