[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2016 >Still trusting garbon >Enjoy your untimely death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 14

File: Garbon.jpg (913KB, 2048x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Garbon.jpg
913KB, 2048x1400px
>2016
>Still trusting garbon
>Enjoy your untimely death

(Shane Archbold's crash on the descent in today's TDF stage)
>>
Argony
>>
>someone cant afford carbon
>>
CRASHING AT 70KM/H DESTROYS YOUR BIKE? UNFATHOMABLE
>>
>>983352
Froomey should be cheeky and race an aluminum bike in next year's TDF. His performance is so far above the other riders that it won't even make a difference.
>>
>>983352
>Untimely death
>Nobody died
>>
File: Boardman-Road-Comp-main[1].jpg (179KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
Boardman-Road-Comp-main[1].jpg
179KB, 630x420px
>>983381
>implying aluminium is not better
>being part of the cabominatti
>>
>>983381
>his performance is so far above the other riders that it won't even make a difference.

You literally have no clue about anything.
>>
>>983389
This, I googled to see if someone died, since people do actually die at the TdF.
>>
>>983404
>>983381
Nigger you do realize the only reason he's "so far above" the other riders is because of Wout Poels, Geraint Thomas and Sergio Henao? Take a look at the GC group on any given mountain stage. Who do you see? Maybe one or two riders from any given team? And then fucking sky has 3 or 4? Yeah, that's why he's "so far above"
>>
>>983381

Entire Peloton is on the CAADjerk
>>
>>983440
This. The domestiques on team Sky would be GC contenders on other teams. And as long as others don't have the same level of domestiques Sky will ride that train up the mountains and dominate the tdf GC.

Sky is also the only team in the GC contention that is run like a professional team who's only aim is to win the GC. Movistar, Tinkoff, and Astana are all run like shit and while they have some great riders they don't ride the same way as a one unit with the only aim being winning the GC.

Fucking Mollema and Yates are ahead of Quintana in the GC right now because Movistar can't into tactics. And Quintana was supposed to be the only person capable of challenging Froome. Movistar have some excellent riders on their tdf team but you don't see them riding like sky rides.

People hate Sky for their train but personally I have huge respect for them all for doing what they do. They all ride to win, not to look good. It might be a bit boring but that's only because others don't do it. I just can't wait for 3 or 4 GC trains attacking others on climbs.
>>
>>983450
Quintana a shit. He's obviously fucked up his training/peak, in fact the whole team has apart from old man Valverde.

I'm tired of the sky bitching. Let's see some proper challengers, not hear bitching for the next three years when Froome turns into the new Indurain.
>>
>>983456
Well it's obvious now that Quintana, alongside the entire Movistar team fucked up their training. But that's one more thing Movistar has fucked up. I really want to see other competent teams even trying to challenge Sky at the tdf.
>>
>>983381
>Froomey should be cheeky and race an aluminum bike in next year's TDF. His performance is so far above the other riders that it won't even make a difference.

You can easily ride alumemein and stay at the UCI weight limit. The carbon frame is a marketing gimmick
>>
>14.85916 lbs
>>
ITT: poor people.

Alloy is fkn awful.
>>
>>983467
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/31/readers-rides-breaking-uci-weight-limit-without-carbon-fiber/

G A R B O N
A
R
B
O
N

P E D A L S
E
D
A
L
S
>>
>>983465
I know of the minimum weight limit, but is there a max?
>>
Is there a way to test carbon to see if it's fatigued?
>>
>>983491
Carbon doesn't really fatigue. The problem is invisible cracks and delamination, which can be found with an ultrasound machine.
>>
>>983492
I've got a 1/2 carbon bike and I'm scared.
>>
>>983494
You know, a lot of carbon related accients happen because the bonding between carbon and whatever other material fails. So yeah, you're gonna die
>>
File: Cnpq_2qWIAATFFC[1].jpg (40KB, 677x377px) Image search: [Google]
Cnpq_2qWIAATFFC[1].jpg
40KB, 677x377px
>>983409
He actually finished the stage and wants to finish the tour.
But Shane Archbold isn't exactly known for making good decisions.
>>
>>983509
It's not bonded, it's bolted.
>>
Why wouldn't you want a nice steel frame that will last you the rest of your life? I don't get it.
>>
>>983582
>steel frame
>will last you the rest of your life
If you're a fair weather cyclist. Or like 80 years old.
>>
>>983352
wtf I hate carbon fibre now
>>
>>983530
Bolted? Can I see it?
>>
>>983593
>what is framesaver
>what is washing your bike once every few months
>what is living in california
>>
>>983381
harder to hide a motor in aluminium tho

>>983602
if you've never cracked a steel frame you're a casulcore ferd
>>
>>983605
A cracked steel frame can be repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
>>
>>983605
/r/ pics of all the steel frames you've cracked.
>>
>>983602
Actually, what IS framesaver?
>>
>>983611

So can carbon, m8
>>
File: crack1.jpg (169KB, 946x631px) Image search: [Google]
crack1.jpg
169KB, 946x631px
>>983612
I've only documented evidence of one. Cracked the bb shell of a bianchi eros because I guess it couldn't handle my sik wattz.

Also fucked up an aluminum frame a couple years back but I rode it way the fuck longer than I should have.
>>
>>983620
I have no idea what it's actually composed of but it's stuff in a spray can that you shoot into all the tubes of a steel frame to prevent rust.
>>
>>983620
horse cum
>>
>>983627
Well then you are just too sikk for any kind of frame material, my friend.
>>
>>983440
can someone tell me what having helpers in a race does to help the leader?

aint they all going the same speed up the climb basically?

aint teammates only really helpful for flat stages?
>>
File: 20150429_150724.jpg (363KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20150429_150724.jpg
363KB, 1280x720px
>>983612
Ended up buying a beater from around the same era and have been transferring components. Is it possible or worth repairing?
>>
>>983656
Possible, certainly. Worth it? Depends on the frame and how much you care about it. You could probably have a dropout replaced for $100 or so.
>>
>>983654
To understand you have to go climbing with someone stronger than you and stay on their wheel. It is psychologically much simpler to follow a wheel than to have to dictate the pace yourself, and you can go faster for it.
>>
>>983656
>stamped steel dropouts
Well there is your problem. Not worth repairing.
>>
>>983582
Because a carbon frame will last me just as long as a steel one. If I crash so badly my carbon frame gets fucked it would've fucked a steel frame in most cases. And if I ever do crash as badly what happened to my frame doesn't really matter at that point as long as I'm going to be fine.
>>
>>983694
Not true, a carbon frame should be as strong, but abrasions is kill
>>
>>983352
>2016:
>Cherry-picking worst-case outlier examples to prove your point
>Appeal to emotion
Any other logical fallacies you want to commit?
>probably strawman is next
>>
>>983698
Only an idiotic asshole newfag would assume I would counterattack with a strawman fallacy.
>>
>>983473
https://2lo8.wordpress.com/my-non-carbon-bike-6-7kg/

GAS PIPE
A
S

P
I
P
E
>>
>>983582
Love the paintjob.
>>
>>983707
>the guy weighs the air in his tires
>>
>>983627
>but I rode it way the fuck longer than I should
W-what does that mean?
>>
>>983468
yeah I too think tungsten allys are awfull for bikes.

Fucking retard
>>
File: received_10210431265764791.jpg (125KB, 1080x1860px) Image search: [Google]
received_10210431265764791.jpg
125KB, 1080x1860px
>>983597
what did you mean by this
>>
>>983707
>>983739
I've never understood extreme weight weenieism. Especially when most of these guys could easily cut a few kilos off their body weight for free.
>>
>>983773
Rider weight and bike weight are not the same. Cutting a few kilos off the bike weight will affect how it rides, dropping a few kilos of body weight won't and may even mean losing muscle mass.

Sure, if the rider is a fat fuck then he should focus on losing that fat instead of dropping grams off his bike, but if the rider is already in shape then there's nothing wrong with having a light bike.
>>
>>983352

Carbon is the only thing keeping skeletons competitive.
>>
>>983582

Even a modern alloy frame is practically immortal. Carbon is a ripoff scam.
>>
>>983627

>steel frame
>hairline crack with years of notice
>carbon frame
>splinters into shards while decending at 70+
>>
>>983656

>muh dumpster-dive OTS
>>
>>983775
There's nothing wrong with light bikes. I have a light bike myself.

However what I don't understand is going so far in weight weening that you have weights of everything that's in your bike, including the air in their tires, in an excel spreadsheet. And then masturbate over it with your weight weening friends and wonder where you could save few more grams.

When will a weight weenie blow up his home because he fills up his tires with hydrogen to save some grams?
>>
>>983479
No. He was saying you can reach the minimum weight limit with an aluminium bike, so carbon is useless.
>>
>>983788
I was more addressing your point about losing body weight instead, I agree that extreme weight weenieism is pointless.

However I do find it interesting, exploring the technical aspects and trying to push the limits of what's possible. I wouldn't personally do it myself as it's a lot of money, time, and effort for minute losses but I don't mind seeing others do it.

>>983789
There are other advantages to carbon fibre than just weight. Also whilst you can get a bike down to the limit using either frame material the carbon one will end up being stronger and likely stiffer where it matters and more aerodynamic (some of the other advantages).
>>
>>983788

Weight weenies often run ego gears too and can't admit that 53 chainring 25 cassette is a totally poser fag combo. So they desperately need to shave grams to alleviate their sufffering.
>>
Carbon is for suckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RG5dztrXM
>>
File: 2016-07-21_09-09-57_473.jpg (244KB, 1296x729px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-21_09-09-57_473.jpg
244KB, 1296x729px
>>983601
Upon closer inspection it might be bonded.
>>
File: 2016-07-21_09-10-03_692.jpg (189KB, 1296x729px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-21_09-10-03_692.jpg
189KB, 1296x729px
>>983799
>>
>>983799
>>983801
That's not bolted dumbass. It's bonded.

>where are the bolts
>>
>>983850
I kinda said that.
>>
>>983654
A couple of guys in front of you that will immediately chase an attack helps to stop them happening in the first place.

Also, you could train at a pace, then tap out that pace and you're dictating the race.
>>
Aluminium has the best price/performance ratio
>>
>>983352
So what actually happened to make this happen?
>>
>ywf Archbold broke his pelvis but got up on another bike and finished the stage anyway
Fucking monster
>>
>>983890
He crashed at around 80km/h against that stone wall. Not head-on, but still.
>>
>>983773
>I've never understood extreme weight weenieism.

It's an obsession. It's fun. But most take it into the danger zone which is not cool imho
>>
>>983660
holds personal significance. was my deceased Dad's when he was young so maybe I'll repair it. Where would I go? LBS?
>>
File: 007.jpg (61KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
61KB, 600x450px
>>983694
>If I crash so badly my carbon frame gets fucked it would've fucked a steel frame in most cases.

That's only half true. There are times when the frame takes a sharp hit in a small area. Steel will dent, without warping the frame, but carbon will be f**ked

Money-wise, Steel is a better bet. Aluminum can dent fine too (look at a well-used cannondale).

Nice carbon is 100% the best bet if you have a lot of money, baby your bike, and can afford a new one once in a while

Steel if you beat up the bike and want one for life

Aluminum somewhere in the middle but practically immortal if it's new and not super-thin like a CAAD bike. I like aluminum because there's no rust to watch out for... and you can strip + polish it :^)
>>
>>983924
>holds personal significance. was my deceased Dad's when he was young so maybe I'll repair it. Where would I go? LBS?

I'd go to a local frame builder if I were you.

Look up the difference between forged and stamped dropouts to understand why it cracked. You might need the other replaced one day.

I don't know about framebuildin' but maybe they could graft on brand new droppies? A man can dream
>>
>>983935
>There are times when the frame takes a sharp hit in a small area. carbon will be f**ked
That is untrue. There are some weak as shit weight weenie frames that you can't even sit on the top tube of without snapping it in half but a decently robust carbon frame will have no trouble taking hits from stones or even being dropped onto a rock.
>>
>>983935
Dented/bent tube loses most of it's properties. Tube as a shape is strong only if it's intact. So if you want to ride a solid frame dented/bent steel is one step ahead of busted carbon but not by much. Slightly dented/bent steel frame will do as a shitty beater/bar hopping bike but not much else.

And if I get into an accident where my frame gets busted the condition of my bike is the least of my worries. I'll be much more concerned about myself in that situation. The bike is insured anyway so I'll get some money towards buying a new crash replacement frame if it's fucked.
>>
>>983916
lmao. Definitely a flaw in the bicycle.
>>
>>983935
where do i have to look to get an aluminum bike anodized?
>>
>>983935
what about titanium?
>>
>>984018
There's no such element as Titanium. Stop reading scifi.
>>
>>983788
>However what I don't understand is going so far in weight weening that you have weights of everything that's in your bike, including the air in their tires, in an excel spreadsheet.
Because things add up and if you you just buy expensive parts, you may end up with a heavier bike for no reason or end up with a $10 heavy part negating the weight savings of a part you spent hundreds of dollars on.
>>
>>984028
my bad, i meant adamantium
>>
>>984042
If you had left it alone, we would have thought you were joking. Now the idiocy is for all to see
>>
>>984043
He wasn't replying to himself.
>>
>>983935
>and you can strip + polish it :^)
Is this true? I have an aluminium frame and I think it'd look awesome raw.
>>
>>984056
I was thinking the same thing.
>>
>>984056
You can, but it won't look chrome-like, and the polishing would only last for so long.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 816x474px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 816x474px
>>983936
Thanks. I wonder if my Dad braizing on the derailleur could have weakened it.
>>983785
It wasn't a terrible bike before there wasn't any maintenance for several years because I had no idea what I was doing. My Dad was the one who kept it up for me. I'm learning a bit now on a different bike but still have dreams of restoring this one.
>>
>>984096
sorry to crush your dreams but it's a crappy bike and any respectable frame builder would talk you out of it even if you have tears in your eyes and your dads eulogy in your back pocket.
>>
>>984108
Kek
>>
>>983656
It's not actually a difficult repair. Just be prepared to spend about 10 times what the bike is worth.
>>
>>983381
Downtuber detected.
>>
File: Cracked.jpg (122KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Cracked.jpg
122KB, 768x576px
>>983612
>/r/ pics of all the steel frames you've cracked.

Like previous anon, I've had a steel frame break at the dropouts - it was actually kinda scary, was truly 'just riding along' on a busy road and my wheel started rubbing.

And not really fatigue related, but I cracked the seattube on a steel frame with relatively little force, was trying to spread the ears of the seatlug in the process of trying to extract a stuck seatpost.
>>
>>983743
It was a Bianchi L Lite Alloy that wasn't made to handle being a daily driver on my shitty city's bombed-out streets, so it developed some small cracks and may have started delaminating in a couple of places. Racing bikes have never been made with long life expectancy in mind. 10 years is probably the longest that a racer should be in service, at least with any regularity. I rode mine for about 14. It had a good life. It's on my wall of course.

It's a shame because the bike handled deliciously and wasn't very harsh.

I'm protecting all of my current bikes against such problems by having lots of them and never riding one too often. Fuck n+1. n+10. n+10^10.

>>983783
Carbon's failure mode is usually a shitty crack, not a dramatic explosion of dethshards.
>>
>>983772
Is that an Opinel fork?

>>984164
A'ight. 14 years sounds good.
My daily commuter (model of 2008) is aluminium too, but it's not of the "lite" type. Frankly, it's rather heavy.
And I abuse it daily and with out mercy, so I got a little bit scared.
I did got myself a roady bike recently. One with a carbon fork, but it 10 years I sure as hell will have a new one, hopefully a carbon one (or better yet - graphene if that tech is going to get anywhere).
Cheers.
>>
>>984163
>stamped steel, not even once
>>
>>984169
>Opinel
Not him, but clearly Laguiole.
>>
>>984169
Yeah, most bikes are overbuilt as fuck because lawyers. Road racers, trifags, and xxxtreme mountain bikers accept lower reliability as a price of going fast, but they're a very small minority of cyclists.

The modern equivalent to the Bianchi would be a CAAD12, I guess, although the CAAD's geometry is a bit less aggressive. But the idea is the same, to make an aluminum frame that's just stiff enough for racing without being incredibly harsh.
>>
>>983788
>caring about weight
>not having a spreadsheet
Do people actually waste their money like this because they feel like calculating how to meet their goals is too nerdy?
>>
>>983468
>ITT: poor people.
ITT: Fred's who buy $10,000 bikes to ride in the park on the weekend
>>
>>983593
>>steel frame
>>will last you the rest of your life
>If you're a fair weather cyclist. Or like 80 years old.
I guess thats why everyone buys 10speeds made back in the 80s on the /bbg/ and no one buys garbon
>>
>>983352
This whole thread:
>I'm too poor to buy carbon
>>
>>984192
>>984193
I can almost smell how poor you are.
>>
>>984219
I'm broke AF and I have a 1/2 carbon bike
>>
>>984193
>everyone
You mean bums.

Moving on: The only reason the proverbial tenspeed is so plentifull is that they made lots of them. It's called the bike boom for a reason. If you made fifty gazillion cheap, overbuilt carbon bikes that were mostly locked away in a heated garage and never ridden there would be tons of them too on the second hand market in twenty-thirty-forty years.
>>
>>983352
>Froome has another minor crash (not enough to put him out of the race)
>Another six-figure garbon bike destroyed irreparably

I can't understand why anybody who doesn't have the budget of an international cycling team would ride a bike that isn't aluminum; knowing that a minor crash can render it destroyed.
>>
>>984271
>implying an aluminim frame cant be destroyed beyond repair by a minor crash
Dude, just letting an expensive aluminium bike fall under it's own weight has folded many a top tube. Light bikes are frail. News at eleven.
>>
>>984271
His bike was destroyed by that slide on wet asphalt? Jeez.
>>
Does anyone have a clip of the fall?
>>
>>983788
>not getting that weighing air was tongue in cheek
How butblasted are retrogrouches that are paranoid about freds?
>>
>>984301
Yes, but how much does it cost to buy a new aluminum frame versus a new carbon frame? How much weight is actually saved between the two?

I'm just saying that the average cyclist has a lot more to lose in buying a carbon bike rather than aluminum, for performance gains that are likely unnoticeable or insignificant to all but elite cyclists.
>>
>>984313
Apparently there isn't one, just the aftermath
>>
>>984329
>Yes, but how much does it cost to buy a new aluminum frame versus a new carbon frame?
Which ones? Many high end aluminium bikes are much more expensive than carbon. Hell, even steel frames can cost you as much as a decent house. The cost or type of material used has next to no bearing on high-end frame cost.
And if you're not talking high-end, ultra light bikes then the carbon frames aren't expensive either. Or frail. The mainstream road bike segment is a free pick of everything but titanium, and even that is sometimes made available in that price bracket.
>>
>>984329
If you compare the same level frames there isn't much difference. Obviously if you compare a BSO Walmart alu frame to pro level carbon frame there is a massive price difference.

Besides Froomey's bike in today's crash was most likely damaged when Nibbles sat on his rear wheel and bot by the actual crash.

And lightweight aluminium frames are just as likely to bust on a crash as carbon frames. Remember that dented/bent frame is a busted frame when it comes to aluminium. On top of everything carbon frames don't actually break as easily as the internet steel frame defense force makes you believe. I've crashed carbon bikes multiple times without any damage to the frame.
>>
Youre seriously stupid-rich, I mean you just go into a bike shop and buy whatever is high priced and think youre cutting edge when you actually dont know what youre buying. You dont understand the technology, you just buy expensive shit and brag about it not knowing how stupid you are for buying ultra-light shit that will explode. You are the stupid kind of Fred that always comes on these threads who are constantly defending carbon by saying its a superior material when you actually dont know shit about carbon and are just rattling off like some rich soccar mom would rattle off about Gucci bags. Youre a fucking idiot, you really dont know how stupid you look in front of people who actually know about bikes, I only wish this conversation took place in person so we could see what the stupid-rich really looks like face to face.
>>
File: 20_map_688x229[1].jpg (152KB, 688x229px) Image search: [Google]
20_map_688x229[1].jpg
152KB, 688x229px
>>983352
>2016
>Still trusting bicycles
>Enjoy your untimely death

Go kill you'reselfs you stupid,shitposting retard
>>
>>984337
>even steel frames can cost you as much as a decent house
how the fuck cheap are houses where you live
>>
>>984164

I've seen plenty of horror stories of sheared steerers, snapped forks, sheared seatposts and frames snapped clean in two.

Pros ride carbon because they're paid to ride them and paid to win.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.