[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /n/'s thoughts on a bike GPS? I recently got into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3064_thumb.jpg (68KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3064_thumb.jpg
68KB, 720x480px
What are /n/'s thoughts on a bike GPS? I recently got into cycling and would like to do longer rides than simply riding around the local neighbor hood 5 times but I'm terrible with navigation and sometimes even manage to get lost with GPS. I also panic easily and I don't want to venture into an unknown area and get lost. I was looking at various garmin models and figured I would go all out with their top of the line model, the edge 1000, granted I would have to save and pinch pennies for a few months to afford it but I figure it would be worth it to just go for the top of the line model off the bat since it would be future proof and have everything I need (also the time I spend saving will give me time to think if I really need it or not). The automatic route planning is a huge plus over the 810 model as well.
>>
i use a cheap blu phone on the bars as my gps. 40$. bike gps is not that great and costs way more.
>>
>>982176
820 just came out, so you should see how that stacks up with the 1000. 820 no longer has a micro sd card slot, 32GB internal storage which should hold a lot of maps.
>>
>>982176
Are you shilling for Garmin or something?

GPS on a bike is only really useful for loading pre-determined routes into so you don't get lost on a long ride or somewhere you're not familiar with. I've got a Joule GPS (which the upgraded me to for free when two non-GPS Joule's came up defective) and 95% of the time the GPS itself is turned off because I know where I'm going.

>I also panic easily and I don't want to venture into an unknown area and get lost.
Maybe cycling alone isn't for you then and you should just stick with riding with groups, then.
>>
>>982194
820 is a mini 810, not an upgraded 810. The 1000 is an upgraded 810.

Although I was under the impression any of the 800 series had auto route.
>>
>>982199
I don't do well interacting with others and started cycling because I loved it as a kid and it's something I can do with out interacting a lot and I can be outdoors. Also the only times I really leave my house are to go to work and get food, and now with cycling so I'm not familiar with the area outside of my normal commute

>>982200
It doesn't. I should also add using my phone isn't a practical option becasue I have the note 4 and mounting something that huge to my bike would cause more problems than it would solve.
>>
The auto route thing looks neat but I think I'd rather just plan my own route. I have an old garmin 705 I picked up off ebay for $70. I use ridewithgps to plan my rides and it works fine for the most part. A phone will work but it is nice to have a device that tracks your ride, has mapping, and doesn't burn through the battery doing it.
>>
Just buy a stand for your phone and a external battery pack just in case
>>
>>982176
Look at the Garmin Edge "Touring Edition". Screen can be switched from stats to compass for map navigation, and includes all navigation features of a car gps. Got mine a year ago and battery life holding up, just need to get a micrd card for neqest map updates.
Only weakness of my gps is that it isn't compatible with sensors like heartrate monitor etc.
>>
I like the etrex 20. I don't like touch-screens, especially when I'm pissing sweat.

>>982205

Don't worry about using them for routing, they're really good for recording your tracks so you can always get back. Enjoy the unknown.
>>
>>982176
Do you have a smartphone?
Download Osmand and a map of your country, you now have a GPS device with a more detailed and up to date map than commercial options.
>>
>>982176
nice ad, bud.
>>
If I'm going to an area I'm not familiar with, I always map my route out beforehand with GoogleMaps. If the route turns out to be complicated, all you need to do is print out the relevant map with your route highlighted with marker. It's not the most high tech way of doing it, but it works.

I've looked into bike GPS devices, and have yet to come across any I'd feel as confident with.
>>
>>982205
Does it really not? The DC Rainmaker video seems to show it does.
>>
Anyone have experience using an old smartphone as a GPS? It looks like I can pick up a waterproof ANT+ compatible Android for $100-150. Biggest concern is visibility in the sun and battery life.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.