[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /n/, /o/ here. Please explain to me how you justify spending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 15

File: fuji-altamira-di2-LE-21.jpg (267KB, 1033x641px) Image search: [Google]
fuji-altamira-di2-LE-21.jpg
267KB, 1033x641px
Hi /n/, /o/ here.

Please explain to me how you justify spending over $2k on a bicycle, rather than buying a car off Craigslist or something for much, much less than that.

i always come across people who buy these ridiculously overpriced bicycles and they defend them to their grave whilst at the same time completely denouncing the existence of the motor vehicle, i could understand if you live in a major city like New York or London for example and you *wasn't* car savvy in any way and have no mechanical experience.

But other than that i just don't get it, hell if you want a bicycle that bad, there's a ton of BMX and older road bikes for sale around Craigslist for $100... it's not like you'd *need* to go out and drop $2k on a brand new race bike.
>>
Riding bikes is fun
Riding nice bikes is even more fun
>>
>>982169
>Please explain to me how you justify spending over $2k on a bicycle
Because it's a hobby, and riding bikes is fun. At least it's a better use of funds than alcohol or gambling.

>it's not like you'd *need* to go out and drop $2k on a brand new race bike.
No, but nice bikes are lighter and generally more enjoyable than riding an old clunker (unless you have a fetish for 'vintage' things). And when going the craigslist route it's the same as buying a used car - if you're not an expert on bikes/cars, it's easy to buy a lemon.
>>
>>982169
This isn't difficult, buddy. First off its a hobby, people spend that much on golf clubs or exhaust systems. Second it's the equivalent of buying a brand new sports car.
>>
>>982174

>The equivalent of buying a new sports car.

you must lead a boring life.
>>
>>982169
Because I'm not poor. It's the same reason why I have a $70,000 car and not a use $2,000 craigslist shitbox.
>>
>>982175
Whether I would personally buy a superbike is irrelevant. Your question has been answered so let's let this shitty thread die.
>>
File: Ducati_999R_Xerox.jpg (66KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
Ducati_999R_Xerox.jpg
66KB, 500x384px
>>982180

>bicycle
>superbike
here's an actual superbike, calm down life isn't that bad.
>>
>>982175
You do realize most old rich people on fancy bikes are white collar professionals and own an expensive everything, not just a bike. And younger people on fancy bikes do so because cycling and not being a fatass is their hobby, not collecting $2k shitboxes from craigslist to store in their garage. The people without cars usually don't have a nice bike, they have one of those shitty $100 bikes you have.
>>
>>982175

I fail to see how they're more or less exciting than cars. Just because you don't care for something doesn't make it more or less valid or interesting.

For example, I know a billionaire who is into vintage tennis shoes. I don't really get it, but man that guy knows his shoes.
>>
>>982186
He has a foot fetish
>>
>>982169
A $2k bicycle its still cheaper than a sport like golf where an annual course membership could easily be more than that, even in areas where golf is seasonal.
>>
This is terrible quality bait.
>>
>>982169
>Please explain to me how you justify spending over $2k on a bicycle, rather than buying a car off Craigslist or something for much, much less than that.
I race bikes. a $3500 bike is better for racing than a $1000 bike.
I also own a second bike, a dedicated time-trial bike.
I also own a motorcycle and a light pickup truck.

Some people don't even race bikes, but are enthusiasts, ride semi-seriously, take their fitness as a rider seriously, and find that their overall performance -- and sometimes their comfort over long distances at high speeds -- is better with a more expensive bike, than with a cheap, heavy, inferior quality bike. Also, if they have the disposable income to afford it, who are you to demand anyone have to 'justify' any purchase they make?

Do you drive the cheapest car you can find, with the fewest features?
Do you buy the cheapest food, regardless of it's lack of tastiness and nutrition, because it's 'good enough' and least expensive?
Do you buy the cheapest clothes, so long as they cover your body so you can go out in public?
Do you insist the women you date pay for everything when you go out with them? (Just kidding, who would date YOU, LOL)
Or do you enjoy nice things, and don't mind paying more for better quality, if it's something that interests you?
Or are you a Monk, and have taken an Oath of Poverty, only posessing the barest essentials to survive, donating anything and everything else to the Poor or something?

Yes, OP, I'm mocking you, because you're rediculous.
>Why do you DARE to like things I don't like or approve of?
That's more or less what you sound like.

Here's a suggestion for you, OP: Grow up, and realize that the world doesn't revolve around YOU and your ill-considered opinions on things, you rediculous manchild.
>>
>>982186
>>982185

I'm just trying to figure out why people enjoy setting their money on fire.. if i went out tomorrow and paid $2k on a road bike, about a year from then it'll immediately be considered not a shit $100 dollar Craigslist bike, but maybe at best a shitty $300 dollar craigslist bike.

If i went out tomorrow and bought a shitbox $2k car on Craigslist like you say, at least it has value to it and is capable of reaching speeds over 25mph. hell, i could probably double my money depending on what i buy.

So far i got no real answer except for. "because I'm rich" bikefags seem even more like douches by the second.
>>
>>982187

I'm pretty sure he has an actual shoe fetish.
>>
>>982191

You're pretty much setting your money on fire with automobiles and motorcycles too dude. It's really not much different, even if youre out to flip things..
>>
>>982191
>if you buy a new something it devalues when you sell it
>if you buy a used something you can flip it for double
Is this even real bait?
>>
>>982191
The obvious answer is buy a 1 year old bike that was $2,000 for $300 on craigslist. Why is this so hard for you?
>>
>>982191

...they don't actually depreciate that fast unless they've been abused to hell and back.
>>
File: 1264984910704.jpg (6KB, 249x188px) Image search: [Google]
1264984910704.jpg
6KB, 249x188px
>>982190

Your hemorrhoids from riding that seat are showing.

Nobody here said i 'don't approve of bikes' like how you put it, i'm just trying to figure out why people pay so much when they could be wiping their ass with $100 dollar bills instead. 5/10 for effort.
>>
>>982193
If all someone is interested in is money and how much something is worth, then they shouldn't bother with bikes or cars or motorcycles or anything like that and just become day-traders or something like that. Bikes and cars and motorcycles are for people who either want transportation or for fun. Boiling them down to just dollars and cents literally drains all the fun out of them. May as well just be buying and selling commoddities all day long or something.
>>
>>982201
>i'm just trying to figure out why people pay so much when they could be wiping their ass with $100 dollar bills instead.
Dumb manchild OP, do you have ANY interests other than money? I don't think you do, that's why you can't understand someone having an 'interest' in something, and by the way when I use the word 'interest', it has nothing to do with accrual on a deposit -- since money seems to be all you're about (how boring).
>>
>>982203
>>982193

i agree to a certain extent.

bikes, motorcycles and cars are all equally fun in my honest opinion, all jokes aside.

but like; you can actually make a decent living flipping cars & trucks and even motorcycles, hell i can even see restoring vintage bikes, Schwinn's from the 60's going for thousands nowadays for example.

but as for buying a brand new $1k or $3k bicycle and attempting to compare it to something like an R35 GTR?

Eh, kinda stupid.
>>
>>982201
Oh and by the way, a word of advice:
You have to read EVERY SINGLE WORD someone writes, or you won't get the full meaning they're trying to convey.
If the above doesn't make sense to you, I'll try to use smaller words and type more slowly so you have a better chance to understand. Or do I need to use some sort of currency analogy?
>>
>>982201
Since you like to buy cars that were $30,000 when new for $2,000 on craiglist, why don't you buy a 1 year old bike that was $2,000 new for $300 used that you say is common on your craigslist? Why are you so bad with money?
>>
>>982206

>calling people over the internet manchildren
>trying to justify riding a bicycle and paying over $3k for it at 35 years old

I smell hypocrisy
>>
>>982169
>How can you spend [this amount of money] on a [good] that's completely not something I'd get hmmmm????
Every God damn time.
>>
>>982169
>Please explain to me how you justify spending over $10k on a car
The only reason there are cheap second hand cars is because a huge amount of people keep buying $30k+ cars brand new. Why do these people love going into debt so much? They could just get a bicycle.
>>
>>982208
We don't 'flip' anything. We buy things we LIKE and are going to USE for YEARS to come.

Money is utterly useless in and of itself; it's only good for what you can SPEND it on. Some of us spend it WISELY on things that enhance our experiences with our interests.

Do you HAVE any interests other than accumulating money? Because that's not a valid interest, it's sad and a sure sign of someone with no personality. Do you have a personality, OP?
>>
>>982213
>>982196

See, THIS MAKES MORE SENSE i agree with this.

But i don't get the manchildren paying over $3k for shitty roadbikes and acting like it's the best thing since the bugatti veyron.
>>
>>982220
And we don't understand why people buy sports cars or veyrons for over a million dollars. Maybe people have different interests you dumb cunt.
>>
>>982214
I'm going to say it again: You have to read EVERY SINGLE WORD someone posts, several times if the meaning doesn't seem clear to you. You're obviously not understanding what you're reading, try again: >>982190
>>
>>982218

You simply said it wasn't possible, at all, which isn't true.

i like doing all kind of stuff man, but if you're against making a little bit of money so bad i can see why you're on a bicycle.
>>
File: nofilenamerequired.png (247KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
nofilenamerequired.png
247KB, 480x360px
>>982222
>>
>>982220
>But i don't get the manchildren paying over $3k for shitty roadbikes and acting like it's the best thing since the bugatti veyron.
They're only 'shitty' to you because you, who is likely fat and weak, and certainly who has no interest in racing bikes, HAS NO USE FOR SUCH A THING. A cheap-ass department store beach cruiser is probably more your speed, since you won't ride it more than a couple times a month at most, and for no longer than an hour.

Some of us race bikes, because THAT IS WHAT WE ENJOY DOING.

Some of us ride bikes for long distances, because THAT IS WHAT WE ENJOY DOING.

Some of us just like to ride fast with local non-racing groups that do fast group rides, because THAT IS WHAT WE ENJOY DOING.

You buy the tools appropriate for what you're doing. Nice tools are a better investment than cheap, shitty tools, if you're going to use them all the time. Someone like you, who is NOT A CYCLIST, needs only the most minimal bike, if any. Someone who rides 5, 6, 7 days a week, needs a better bike. If they can afford a better bike, and it's going to be utilized fully, then it makes sense to BUY a better bike. If you can't understand that, then you're either really dumb, or you're just as shitty a troll as you're coming off as.
>>
>>982220
You probably don't get why people buy a Bugatti Veyron new and not used for $2,000 on craigslist.
>>
>>982225
>the words are TOO BIG for him, he can't understand them
How did you manage to get a drivers license when you can't even comprehend the written test?
>two-digit IQ FTW!
>>
>>982227

>They're only 'shitty' to you because you, who is likely fat and weak.

Who says i can't drive a car and be fit at the same time? you do realize weights, gyms, and jogging is a thing, right?

>and certainly who has no interest in racing bikes, HAS NO USE FOR SUCH A THING.

I have interest in bikes in general i just don't get why people feel the need to *pay* thousands for the hobby.

>A cheap-ass department store beach cruiser is probably more your speed

They travel at the same speed.

>since you won't ride it more than a couple times a month at most, and for no longer than an hour.

Yes, because i drive a car.

>THAT IS WHAT WE ENJOY DOING.

Okay, just don't be a douche about it. lol
>>
>>982231

...ok, so you're genuinely retarded.
>>
Okay, Here's what i could take away from this thread thus far.

>"Hey guys, how is a bicycle worth over $3k to you?"
>because I'm rich and you're a pleb
>fuck you carfag
>ur a retarded manchild
>I'm gonna call you a manchild while i pull away on my bicycle with training wheels.

So far my question remains unanswered, if money doesn't matter, and because it's fun to do, why does "I'm rich and i can do it because i can afford it" the first excuse?

Eh, not worth, heading to bed.
>>
>>982236
It's the same exact reason someone would pay 10 times as much for a new car instead of a used car.
>>
>>982237

yeah, but they can do 200+ mph and attend track days, try again.
>>
>/o/ tries to troll again

as you can tell by the posts, /n/ isn't autistic enough to be offended by your attempts
>>
>>982237

Another thing i *should* point out, which is actual constructive and is actually worth pointing out.

In some cases it makes more sense buying a newer car, see, cars have these mystical and magical things called engines and transmissions, that require servicing from mechanics and technicians alike.

Now, me personally i have no problem with this i do engine and transmission swaps on the norm.

But paying $2k or $3k on a new race bike makes no sense at all.

Bikes have less moving parts, and i could probably tear down and rebuild a bike in wayyyyy less time then it would take me swapping out a power train and putting in a new one.

Not many people buy used cars because it's hard to find something that's actually dependable and not completely beat up on.

Bicycles on the other hand, are much more easier to maintain, only thing you really have to worry about is the frame and that's about it. literally everything on a bike is repairable and cost effective.

what isn't cost effective is spending $3k on a *new pretty racing bicycle* when in a year from now it's only worth about $300.

Now that i've answered why it doesn't make sense to me and clairified that i don't hate bikes can i get a legitimate answer or is that seriously too much to ask and this board is filled with pissy hemorrhoid infested manchildren?
>>
>>982241
>what isn't cost effective is spending $3k on a *new pretty racing bicycle* when in a year from now it's only worth about $300.
>inflating it from 2k to 3k
You know as well as everyone else you're pulling those numbers out of your ass, and you're not going to find a year model 2015/2016 road bike that retailed for $2-3,000 for $300.
>>
>>982242

>implying inflation

It was a basic price range example, because you got people in here claiming they pay $3k on bicycles, which is nonsensical, but they do it anyway.
>>
>>982243
And you know that it won't devalue to $300 in a year, but you keep saying it. You've got to step up your bait game.
>>
>>982244

I've done it before.

i bought a 2008 Fuji road bike off Craigslist in i think that model year or 2009. guy was asking like $500 for it and i haggled to $300.

i rode it for like a year when i lived in new york, then i moved, sold it on craigs for $300 again a year later.

It is possible, y'know.
>>
>>982245
> i think that model year or 2009
>i bought it in 2007 or 2009 i cant remember guys
>it was totally a $2000 bike when new because i said so it was a FUJI
>and then i haggled it down to $300 and this is completely representative
Seriously, for someone coming from /o/, you don't even know how model years work?
>>
>>982247

>OP we're going to dodge your question because we don't know how to answer it.
>We just like our bikes, k?
>And look i want proof, evidence, now, because i suck dick at this 'haggling' sorcery that i didn't know existed.

You could of just ended the thread with that instead of behaving like a faggot about it. lol
>>
>>982248
Fuji literally had road bikes in 2008 that retailed for less than $500 when new.
>>
>>982249

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=3031818

It retailed for $1,800.

please stfu and go to bed.
>>
>>982250
>picks random bike that retailed for about $2k
Good job taking the bait. You know that Fujis don't actually sell at MSRP right?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1193323_-1___400784

"Retails" for $2000, sells for 20% off of $1000, so $800. Good job haggling down what you claim is a $800 bike for $300 though.
>>
>>982252

Are you going to actually answer my question or are you going to continue showing me half-off sales in remain in disbelief about everything.
>>
>>982254
Fujis don't sell for retail. You've gotten several answers in this thread, and your response is constantly to make shit up.
>>
>>982255

These are all bullshit bait answers, i want to actually know why people blow $3k on a childrens toy, instead of becoming defensive about their own insecurities.
>>
>>982231
>>>A cheap-ass department store beach cruiser is probably more your speed
>
>They travel at the same speed.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to reply, but here mr. cager I'll take your bait.

While pure watts from a cyclist's legs are obviously the most important factor in going fast on a bike, a bike can facilitate this in numerous ways.

In the example for a cruiser, the position is awkward so does not facilitate riding fast in the first place. It's heavy, and has no gears so going up hills is torture.

The most important factor for aerodynamics on a bicycle is rider position, which is facilitated by having a low front end (handlebars) and high saddle. On the rider you can gain "free" watts by wearing and aerodynamic helmet, a one piece skin suit, and even covering your shoes.

A bike frame and wheels can be more or less aerodynamic as well, but overall it's less important.

And finally the rolling resistance. Now, thinner tyres are NOT NECESSARILY straight up faster, but it is much easier to get good road tyres in the 23-32 mm width range.

So going from the extreme end, a cruiser or a downhill MTB on pavement you could easily gain 15 km/h swapping for a high end TT bike, at the exact same power output from your legs.

Going fast is fun, and the bike can SERIOUSLY facilitate that.
>>
>>982257

Stopped reading before you began explaining physics.

I know how physics work, by buying a race bike with a carbon fiber frame it's essentially easier to get up to speed.

...the same speed as a wal-mart beach cruiser.
>>
File: 1337112756173.jpg (66KB, 290x350px) Image search: [Google]
1337112756173.jpg
66KB, 290x350px
>>982258
>>
File: 1264983002389.jpg (61KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1264983002389.jpg
61KB, 420x420px
I'm gonna head to bed now, /n/ is filled with a bunch of incapable manchildren that can't operate a motor vehicle and they themselves can not fathom why they spend thousands of dollars on arcane technology.

If you love riding around town on your "superracebike" why do you shout at us 'cagers' as we roll by minding our own business when we're nowhere near you?

why do you shout at us bikers that actually own *real* superbikes?

you people are an actual insult to those who run Tour De France and you will never even participate in that because you're too busy staying stuck home on 4chan and being poor claiming to strangers on the internet "I bought a $3k bicycle because I'm rich, look how cool i am."

there's nothing cool about overly-boasting overpriced arcane technology, get some lives, and maybe a job while you're at it.
>>
>>982240
Seems more like a /b/tard trying to rile up shit.
/o/ generally isn't this retarded.
>>
>>982262

>try's trolling
>fails
>goes to /o/ to get some backup because he got BTFO so hard, his anus is catching fire.
>/o/ calls him out for shitposting and failing
>"hurr durr, i'm leaving you are all stupid"

your populist rhetoric wont work outside of /pol/.
>>
>62 replies

/n/ pls...
>>
I'll take the bait. I've got a bike that's worth over 3k euros.

The main reason is that it's my hobby. I love riding a bike. Better bike makes that more enjoyable. The more enjoyable riding is the more I'll do it. Having a hobby I enjoy and allows me to relax makes me perform better at work. Which means I'll get better results and get paid more. It makes my life more enjoyable. Cycling isn't the only expensive sport I do. I've got multiple pairs of world cup level skis and spend a lot of time skiing during the winter.

There isn't any other rationale behind buying an expensive bike than I like it and I've got the means to buy it. Just like any other hobby related equipment.

Jelly poorfags who've barely managed to scrape together enough money for a shitbox need not apply.

I just booked 2 weeks in Mallorca, most of which I plan on riding a bike. A bike which is probably worth more than your shitbox.
>>
>>982278
>63 replies
Anon pls...
>>
>>982169

I own many bicycles and have gotten as much fun per dollar from the impersonal Taiwan/Chinese factory ones as the "ridiculously overpriced" ones that were custom made by nice people in Colorado.

I have also owned many cheap and many fine cars and currently own three.

I live in the back country, far away from any uber, so having a car/truck is a necessity. I drive about 200 hours a year, and most of that is far away from large cities or what anyone would consider traffic congestion.

I bicycle about 800 hours a year and in my retirement I find that time spent with friends is far more enjoyable than driving.
>>
>>982169
1. Cycling is fun AF and good for you and my most important hobby
2. Even a free car costs more than $2000 in insurance, gas, and maintenance over the life of the vehicle
>>
I've got money to spend on a nice bike since there is no point in owning a car. I live in the city. Insurance alone would cost me $250/month. Work is only 6 miles away. I have access to public transport, Uber, and Zipcar if I don't feel like biking for whatever reason.
>>
>>982169
>$2k on a bicycle, rather than buying a car off Craigslist or something for much, much less than that.
>$2k
>£1.5k
Even at 24 years old if I was to get a driving license (would probably be something like £500 on its own, haven't looked into it much) it would cost me more than that to insure a car valued at half that much. Then there's the cost of fuel, MOT, tax, and maintenance. Everything other than the cost of the car would then need to be paid again every 12 months.

That is part of the reason I don't drive, when I don't need to it's a waste of a fairly significant amount of money.
>>
>>982175
Said a tripfaggot of 4chan.
>>
>>982305
Have you really gotten as much fun per dollar from ridiculously overpriced custom bikes as taiwanese ones?
>>
>>982169
this must be the easiest board to b8
>>
>>982362
I'm not baited. Fuck you. You don't know me. Go away.
>>
File: WhenPeopleDon'tHaveAnAnswer.webm (2MB, 445x250px) Image search: [Google]
WhenPeopleDon'tHaveAnAnswer.webm
2MB, 445x250px
I found the perfect .webm for this thread in a nutshell, it was obligatory i post it here.
>>
>>982444
Even /o/ is laughing at you. We aint baited.... and I own a car and 3 bikes... guess which is making me outlive your diabetes ass?
>>
>>982455

>Implying i'm baiting just because I'm from /o/
>bikefag refers to his emotionally attached toy as a superbike and i post this on /o/ because i find your triggered replies hilarious
>You can't stop talking about your one car and three bikes when meanwhile you don't see me bragging about the 4 cars i own, the one pickup truck, the two BMX bikes, the three road bikes, and the one roadbike i actually gave to my buddy because he needed it more than i do.

I was legitimately interested and curious as to why people spend thousands of dollars on a bicycle and why they do it, but instead i got triggered replies implying that I'm baiting, just because i shared the fact that i was from /o/.

>fuck you OP we're not baited
>70 replies

Fuck, even if i was baiting it seems i already won that battle.
>>
>>982444
>he was a /v/tard all along
Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>982463

I didn't find that on /v/ i found that on /gif/

Don't ask why i was swimming in that shit because even i don't know. lol

Usually for funny .webms and shit i lurk /wsg/ which is esentially all the goodness of /gif/ without all the trap threads and other homosex shit.
>>
>>982462
The fact that you felt the need to say you're from /o/ makes you a shitposter by default
Comon,whow us your gaudy bodykit,you know you want to.
>>
>>982466

>You're a shitposter by default because you're from /o/

i know where you're coming from because if you were posting on /o/ i'd be concerned if you were a shitposter.

But here's the difference i would actually answer your curious questions instead of going

>ERMAHGERD BAIT BAIT BAIT BAIT BAIT
>FUCK YOU AND YOUR QUESTIONS YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND MUH HOBBY
>>
>>982467
You cant reand into reading comprehension I see.

How pedestrian
>>
>>982366
calm down manlet
>>
>>982468

All I'm able to comprehend from this thread is mass insecurity and bikefags explaining how a bicycle is comparable to a purpose-built super car.

say that one time aloud and tell me it doesn't sound hilariously nonsensical.
>>
>>982469
I AM CALM YOU CALM DOWN
>>
File: dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg (37KB, 350x435px) Image search: [Google]
dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg
37KB, 350x435px
>>982471
I am amazed at how many people recognize this tripfag is a troll and yet keep giving him attention and feeding him. Any response no matter how reasonable or sensible will be translated to "I'm rich biyotch!" or something similarly superficial in his head

His /o/ died due to lack interest. Wouldn't it be best to do the same here?
>>
>>982471
I did,nothing nonsensical about it.
>>
>>982473
is the /o/ thread still up? I kinda want to see it out of sheer curiosity
>>
File: Muh_Bicycle_Is_A_Superbike.jpg (307KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Muh_Bicycle_Is_A_Superbike.jpg
307KB, 500x1000px
>>982473

>translated to
>implying this wasn't said out of your own mouths

I'm just gonna leave this here, it's pretty much all i was able to take away from this pointless yet hilariously pathetic thread that i created.

Good day.
>>
>>982231
>travel at the same speed

Pros descending on race bikes regularly hit 90kph. Care to try that on your beach cruiser?
>>
>>982473
You just replied to him too.
>>
>>982478

I don't care too, i could just pull away and have more fun in a V8 anything.

>Inb4 greenpeace environmentalists taking a shit

fuck you, you're all faggots too with your toyota prius and your 'superbike'
>>
>>982482
I don't own a car

It's why I can afford a nice bike.
>>
>>982482
>i could just pull away and have more fun in a V8 anything
Considering the shit you post I really doubt you're even old enough for that.
>>
>>982484

Hey, guess what, I'm happy with that response at least it's honest instead of people claiming they do it because they got money to blow.
>>
>>982485

>anon shitposter
>trying to throw an age joke when he's probably 30 and his use for daily transportation is what most people got tired of doing at 12.
>>
>>982487
>hey guys, if you didn't notice yet, I'm american
>>
>>982489
>hey guys, if you didn't notice yet, I'm yuropoor
>>
>>982490
I bet you use synthetic engine oil
>>
>>982490
It was implied, yes.
>>
>>982486
DESU, your original 2K figure is about right in terms of 'probably don't need to spend more'. In the 1500-2K range you're getting probably either a very high-end aluminum or low-midrange carbon fiber frame, with one of the good price:performance groupsets (Shimano 105, SRAM Rival for road bikes).

That said, a lighter bike is going to be easier to ride up a hill. A stiffer bike is going to feel better to pedal and transfer power more efficiently. A more aerodynamic bike is going to let you go faster for the same effort output.And there are a whole host of technologies that can be used to help make riding more comfortable by deadening bumps, which are far more obvious on a bike than a car.

All this stuff requires R&D, and a fair amount of man-hours to produce, especially when it comes to high-end carbon fiber stuff.

So yeah, really nice bikes cost money.
>>
>>982494
as an addition, don't get me started on MTB, where there's a lot more complicated moving bits, and so 2K is where you start to get new full suspension bikes that don't suck balls.
>>
>>982494

That you so much for giving a legitimate response, see, this is all i was looking for it actually makes sense.

Why can't the rest of you anons and /n/ tripfags be sensible like this anon here? it's literally all it took for the thread to end on.

I'm gonna leave happy, good day sir! and good show!
>>
>>982499
People were approaching your question from a 'justify your purchase' POV, not a 'ok, what makes a nice bike expensive' POV.

It also comes from not being defensive.
>>
>>982499
Don't ask your questions in the most retarded way next time.
>>
>>982500

i kind of meant it in both ways, but right out the gate mass insecurity and bait claims rolled in.

It's almost as if the dinner-bell rang just because I'm from /o/
>>
>>982503
fair enough. Just remember that there are really only two sports that make extensive use of wind tunnel research: motorsports and professional cycling.
>>
My response would be that I already own a $19k car.
I have disposable income so can spend it.

Except I don't. I still ride my 2009 Aluminium heavy as fuck road bike with Shimano 2200. That's the one below Sora in case you didn't know...
>>
>>982506

I actually have respect for both sports, it's just i don't understand why people have to behave like such assholes about it from both sides.

I mean like right out of the gate people we're mocking the existence of the automobile (like how i said they do in the OP post, proving my example correct.)

then shortly after comparing race bikes ideal for Tour De France to Motorbikes purpose built for MotoGP, they're two totally different highs.

True in my opinion i prefer cars, motorcycles, and motorsport in general, i think it's more exciting and provides a proper thrill ride, but that's just the thing, it's only my opinion, the moment i peek into the world of high-end bicycles and why they're so expensive and attempt to get to understand out of sheer curiosity why they shell out the currency when for the same money they could have an auto, or an actual sportbike, they feel the need to reply with;

>cuz i'm rich
>cuz your poor and you have no personality
>cuz ur fat
>cuz ur cager
>get off mah /n/

It's also worth noting that everry single captcha i got for every reply i posted, even this one, involved either cars & trucks, motorcycles, and street signs.
>>
>>982508
>Shimano 2200
whyyyy
>>
>>982510
my view, which I think is pretty reasonable, about cars vs bikes, is that most people can, and should, ride a bike for trips that are

>under 5 miles/7km
>carrying less than 15lbs/7kg of cargo and no passengers
>contain no major hills
>in good weather

of course, many people bike more than this. I'm one of them, but I think that if people got out of their cars for that kind of trip, it'd be a significant start towards a better world.

I also think that a lot of people, especially here in the US, have way more car than they need.
>>
>>982517

A bike trip like that is fun, that i can understand.

but what gets my juices flowing are 1,000 mile road trips, going places I've never been before, track days, and once in a while going from one end of the country to the other, and just loving the machine, the sound of the engine and the way a car makes you feel.

I totally get you can get the same fells from a bike, but for me, gonna have to go with engines.
>>
File: fat_cyclist[1].jpg (73KB, 447x600px) Image search: [Google]
fat_cyclist[1].jpg
73KB, 447x600px
>>982521
YOU!
Does /o/ have a term for people withovery expensive/flashy cars that they only are capable of driving around the block for a few miles inna week?

We have "Freds" for those kinds of people
Pic related
>>
>>982521
Honestly I'd rather do a 1000 mile trip by bike if I had the time. Ride 50 miles a day for 20 days, that'd be about 3-4 hours of road time a day. Burn enough calories to gorge myself on whatever local delicacies I find, and be going slow enough that I won't miss things like cool wildlife that I might otherwise miss in a car.
>>
dispite the people defending nice bikes the PYB is 90% relics
>>
>>982524
Equinox?
>>
>>982524

yeah, douchebags.
>>
>>982529

>implying Equinox owns an expensive anything
>>
>>982475
Like I said. It died a long time ago. It's in the archives now.
>>>/o/15459880

>>982479
Wow. I reply once with a sage to not bump this idiotic thread and you reply to my post to point out the obvious. Did you at least sage to not bump this idiotic thread while presenting such idiocy?
>>
>>982531
>what do you own my viscous assed nigga?
>>
>>982540
Been saging with every post.
I miss visible sage.
>>
>>982521
>but for me, gonna have to go with engines.
FAAAAG
>>
File: th(1).jpg (10KB, 300x114px) Image search: [Google]
th(1).jpg
10KB, 300x114px
> "hurr durr guyz why"
> answer provided
> "oh I kinda get it. but I don't, hurr durr guyz why?"
> answer provided
> "oh I kinda get it. but I don't. hurr durr guyz why?"
> ad infinitum

This thread basically
>>
>>982517
I ride longer distances usually every weekend /weekend warrior/. I would have no issues riding round for all the short trips I do except for the shitty mexican drivers around here. Some illegals actually drive really good and friendly but the ones who have been here awhile are usually drunk and the young kids drive like assholes. Fuck putting my life at risk just to go grab something to eat, i'll take my cage for that.
>>
>>982185
Excepting myself, anon is right.
>>
>>982508
>$19k car
potentially more gay and much less fun to drive than most people on /o/s $2k shitboxs
>>
Not even /v/ would fall for this poor quality bait. Shame on you /n/.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (30KB, 367x451px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
30KB, 367x451px
>>982191
>he can't reach 25mph on a bike
>>
>>982645
are you kidding, you can get a 400 response shitstorm in /v/ at any time of the day by starting a thread with a shitpost about mgs/v/
>>
>>982675
and don't even get me started on ffx/v/
>>
>>982169
>Please explain to me how you justify spending over $2k on a bicycle, rather than buying a car off Craigslist or something for much, much less than that.
1. I'm not poor
2. I already own a car
>>
>>982169
Because I have no desire to spend all my time babysitting a death cage that requires a parking space everywhere I go and is limited to 25mph, when I can go about the same speed on a bike and I don't need to waste time parking it or road raging in gridlock

On the few occasions where a cage is more a benefit than a massive inconvenience, I can just rent a cage for the weekend. Myopic cagers think this is an everyday thing whereas it's more like three or four times a year at best
>>
Because cycling is fun and it makes me feel healthier.

Good bikes cost more.
I prefer driving my recumbent to work than my car (good cycle infrastructure), it's also just as comfortable and saves up money over time.
>>
"cars run on money and make you fat. bikes run on fat and save you money."
>>
>>982191
the money sink doesn't start until someone starts getting obsessed with weight/aero, in which case it's a bit crazy but needing explanation nonetheless.

with a car you can always get a bigger engine or w/e right? but with something self powered like a bike you can only improve your output by training your body (and steroids ofc). and really with biking,
more biking is generally the best way to do this.

so the bike game is really one of trimming off excess: a few grams here, a little less wind resistance there. and people are willing to pay for that.
>>
>>982742
although imo it'd probably make more sense if we saw a lot more posture/weight training focus in biking enthusiast threads, but then again that's actual effort.
>>
Why is a shit bait thread so popular. Threads rarely get this many replies on /n/. Help people buy bikes or fix their bikes instead of entertaining this idiot troll
>>
>day 3
>/n/iggas still getting triggered
>>
File: Michele-Mouton.jpg (3MB, 3600x2363px) Image search: [Google]
Michele-Mouton.jpg
3MB, 3600x2363px
>>982742
People do this with cars too. Replacing all the windows with plexiglass, all the metal panels with custom carbon or fiberglass pieces, doors, lightweight seats etc.

Losing weight is always better than adding power in a car, because deceleration and handling are as important as acceleration.

Muh grams is more relevant for cars because for bikes it's mostly done just to improve climbing speed.

>>982743
Yeah man fucking bike-fags are real lazy aye what a sick burn.
>>
File: 1468257957447.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1468257957447.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>982169
not surprising coming from a cager but...
>>
File: North Shore Line.jpg (118KB, 1024x848px) Image search: [Google]
North Shore Line.jpg
118KB, 1024x848px
>>982169
>Please explain to me how you justify spending over $2k on a bicycle
I can do whatever I want with the money I earn, regardless of if it meets your standard for approval.

>rather than buying a car off Craigslist or something for much, much less than that.
I own a functioning motor vehicle. It's a 1985 Jeep CJ7. It has a rack that I mount my $3800 full-suspension mountain bike onto so I can take it to places and ride it.

See this? It's a train. You seem like the kind of person that might like these, so I'll just direct you over to here >>855678
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.