[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /n/ /fa/ here looking for a city commuter bike like the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 19

File: shopping.jpg (7KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
7KB, 253x253px
sup /n/

/fa/ here

looking for a city commuter bike like the shinola arrow but without the 1000 price tag

i love the geometry and can always add fenders and a rack to it but i wanted to ask advice for any brands you guys might be into

thanks in advance!
>>
Not trying to be elitist here, but let me ask why you want handle bars like that if you're commuting?

Drops would give you all the hand positions your bike would, but with added options when you inevitably run into headwinds, or your writs get a little sore or something.
>>
Pappillionaire Classic
>>
>>978729
not available until august
>>978728
i like upright riding for the comfort
>>
File: 1360889432564.jpg (35KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1360889432564.jpg
35KB, 601x601px
>>978737
>he fell for the 'i dun wanna be bent over' meme
>>
>>978740
>he fell for the "gotta go fast" meme
>>
guid bait
>>
File: 60896.jpg (20KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
60896.jpg
20KB, 300x250px
Shinola is really good. It's made in Detroit by good honest American hands - hands that want to work hard, if you would only give them a chance.

They're rebuilding Detroit, rebuilding the American dream. You can own a part of that dream, with a quality Shinola Arrow.
>>
>>978754
but detroit is full of nigger hands
>>
File: shinola-office.jpg (125KB, 1280x830px) Image search: [Google]
shinola-office.jpg
125KB, 1280x830px
>>978763
Shinola is made by 100% certified white labor.

If there are any blacks they're the kind that talk white, and don't listen to the rap music. Sometimes jazz though.
>>
File: 1376232894371.jpg (277KB, 900x804px) Image search: [Google]
1376232894371.jpg
277KB, 900x804px
>>978749
Not saying it to go fast, I'm saying for comfort.
I used to commute on a bike like this, and especially in city/urban environments where tall buildings create annoying winds, it was such a nice change to have a full range of places to put my hands and shift my weight.

I'd hate to see someone drop bike commuting because they don't like it, cause they stop finding it comfortable, when they might not know about other options.
If you're 'riding upright for comfort', riding on the flats or even the horns will be just about the same, PLUS other options to switch it up and keep you from fatiguing.
>>
>>978749
>he fell for the "I'm gonna just shatter my spine from bad posture because I'm too stupid to pick a bike that fits and I'll blame it on the handlebars" meme
>>
>>978766
chainstays are missing
>>
CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC LOL

just point me in the right direction i'll get drops too don't worry

some quality brands for longetivity
>>
For commuting in the city north road bars are a perfectly valid option
>>
>>978916
Yeah, just get a bow-tie shaped steeling wheel, too, cause fuck it, you're not going to do hand over hand steering on a short drive; right?
>>
>>978718

Framed Lifted Seven is $170 dollars and your hipster retard friends probably won't know the difference

Extra money goes to new tires and saddle

OR...
>>
>>978924

...Get a Fairdale Lookfar in black for $500 if you want something that is not the cheapest shit possible
>>
>>978926
pretty much a mid 90's hybrid...
why don't you do that OP, pick up a nice older trek or specialized hybrid 2nd hand and add fenders and shit til it looks like you want it to ? prolly end up with a better bike for way less $
>>
>>978766
Drop bars are shit for inner city commuting. They're too narrow and get wobbly at low speeds, they will also be too low and too forward to allow a body position where you can easily look over your shoulder. Stop lying to people that you can get the hoods as high swept bars, or post frames that actually allow that.
>>
>>978990
>They're too narrow and get wobbly at low speeds, they will also be too low and too forward to allow a body position where you can easily look over your shoulder.
Somebody who has never ridden drop bars because they're scary.
>>
>>978990
>They're too narrow and get wobbly at low speeds
Wow. I never considered myself as particularly skilled at bike handling until i read this.
>>
>>978991
I have a drop bar bike, they're good for going fast in a straight line and that's pretty much it.

>>978992
Wanna race? Whoever goes slower wins. You'll be on your drop bar bike with two inches of saddle-bar drop, I'll be on my commuter MTB with 700mm altbars at saddle level.
>>
File: anons_ideal_bike.jpg (61KB, 960x546px) Image search: [Google]
anons_ideal_bike.jpg
61KB, 960x546px
>>978993
>>
>>978990
I can't tell if this poster is joking or not, it's like the "disc brakes are too dangerous because you can go over the handlebars" thing
>>
>>978990
>inner city commuting
>wide handlebars

Inner city commuting to me is a nimble, light, narrow bike, it's filtering traffic, doing trackstands, taking shortcuts through alleyways and parks, riding footpaths, pedestrian crossings, wrong way streets, drafting cars, never putting a foot down, hook turns, bunnyhopping potholes, bombing down hills, sprinting up them and having fun.

Riding flat bike lanes on a 20kg ride with racks, clogs and a windmill in the background sounds fun too but not as fun.
>>
>>979038
>wrong way streets
>cutting through parks
I've been commuting in NYC for longer than you've been alive, so take it from me: this isn't "cool" and "urban", it just makes people hate us.

If a ped jumps into the bike lane you're within your rights to yell at them, but if they're in the crosswalk, and it's their light, you wait

You sound like maybe you have a fixie, yes? Those are behind the times, the new "urban badass weapon" that disaffected youths look for is something called the "big ripper", you should look into it.

Also I'm not sure what your post has to do with drop bars, you can be a dick and piss off everyone around you with flat bars just fine (see: the big ripper fad)
>>
>>979040
>big ripper
oh. it's a second generation bastard child of a fixie and bmx.
can't say i'm surprised
>>
>>979045
>big ripper
just get a hard tail with slicks
>>
File: 200_s.gif (47KB, 364x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
47KB, 364x200px
>>979040
>"big ripper"

How do you resist the urge to push these idiots over as you ride by?
>>
File: kensington8_gray_2100.jpg (665KB, 2100x1227px) Image search: [Google]
kensington8_gray_2100.jpg
665KB, 2100x1227px
why not a BD Widsor Kensington? Comes with an eight-speed internally geared hub, fenders, racks, and a lil' coffee cup holder. I know that BD isn't exactly loved here, but if you are looking for a bike that looks Dutch but not wanting to pay the hipster tax, this might be your huckleberry.
>>
>>979189
There's usually about twenty of them riding together, and they tend to be of the colored persuasion. I don't think it would end well to start a fight with a pack of superpredators with chase instincts honed through millennia of selective breeding on the savanna, even if they're riding BSOs. I mean I'd probably escape but probably isn't good enough.
>>
FUCK RISERS

GO DROPS
>>
Kronan.
Based on the old Swedish army bikes from the fifties. Weighs like a tank, handles like one too, and just as indestructible.

Back when the fixie meme was at it's peak in the US, this was THE hipster bike to have back in Sweden. Of course, the really cool hipsters rode the original army surplus bikes.
>>
>>979246
>and just as indestructible.

rust

Kronans really,REALLY like to rust

>>979214
>looking for a bike that looks Dutch
>no gorrillion accesories which ruin an already shitty bike
>not having a dozen of shitty 3 buck CR2032 light dangling from the handlebars
>no loose rusty chain
>No extreme saddle angle
>No full chain guard,which are the shittiest ones
>no broken spokes
>heck,the nexus 8 might actually work on that windsor
>Wayyy too much fancy space-age(WOW) aluminium,needs for potmetal :)
NOT DUTCH
O
T
>>
>>979259
>Kronans really,REALLY like to rust
They do. And it doesn't seem to affect them structurally one bit. A rusty Kronan just gives you more hipster cred.
>>
>>979268
Well they usually hold up fine,but the only 2 bikes Ive seen that actually structully failed due to rust were a kronan and a batavus
>>
>>978993
>I have a drop bar bike, they're good for going fast in a straight line and that's pretty much it.

I go mountain biking with drop bars. Learn how to ride, faggot.
>>
File: Linus.jpg (39KB, 537x359px) Image search: [Google]
Linus.jpg
39KB, 537x359px
>ctrl + f "linus"
>No results
>Consider one of these, OP.
>>
>>979371
The frame doesn't have a derailleur hanger so you can't easily convert it later if you feel like it.
>>
>>978993

>they're good for going fast in a straight line and that's pretty much it

You poor child do you need training wheels?
>>
>>979376
While this is a good point, if OP decided they wanted to go fast, they would be better to sell a bike like this and buy something entirely new, since no amount of upgrades would make this observably faster.
>>
>>979040
>You sound like maybe you have a fixie, yes?
Nope.

>if they're in the crosswalk, and it's their light, you wait

You fucking wat mate? Must be incredibly slow getting anywhere. Riding amongst peds you just be hyper courteous, ride slower than they're walking and nobody gives a fuck. I know the obnoxious style you're talking about but there is a middle ground.
>>
>>979298
>I purposefully handicap myself

...congratulations?
>>
>>979246
Is that a spring behind the fork? What for?
>>
>>978993
So who wins when it inevitably ends up in a trackstand competition? Or is it that you can't even trackstand when you came up with such a competition in the first place?

>700mm wide bars in urban traffic
Have fun filtering between cars and pedestrians.
>>
>>979502
I'll pay to watch you trackstand on flat ground with a freewheel bike.
>>
>>979515

>can't trackstand with freewheel

Why are you even here?
>>
>>979516
Put up or shut up.
>>
>>979517

It's really not that hard. Use the brakes to control the rocking. Is it really THAT uncommon to see some road/mtb cyclist trackstand where you live? Let me guess, you are american right?
>>
>>979520
I'm not interested in explanations, I want to see you physically carry it out for 5 minutes.
>>
>>979525

What are you five? google a tutorial and lear it yourself I don't have to prove shit to you it's just hilarious to see someone so fucking fresh claiming something so common being impossible.

also buy yourself some training wheels while you are at it.
>>
File: 5b141d70bea0cf.jpg (12KB, 158x240px) Image search: [Google]
5b141d70bea0cf.jpg
12KB, 158x240px
>>979526
>>
>>979516
>>979520
>>979526
I'm the one he originally challenged to a slowrace. (I don't know what that would prove. If i wanted my commute to be slow i'd walk. But whatever.)
To be fair, i can't trackstand either. Hey, i said i didn't consider myself particularly skilled.
>>
>>979515
I charge 250 € per starting hour. Minimum amount of billable hours is 4. Please indicate if you're still willing to continue with your work order and how you'd like to handle the down payment of 500 €.
>>
>>979481
more like

>I purposefully handicap myself so no one thinks I'm a casual

/n/ is turning into /g/ and it's annoying as fuck
>>
>>979566
I will require a sample as a proof of your ability. A 10 minute unedited clip should suffice.
>>
>>979580
That's not how it works. You won't pay up anyway so I'm not going to waste my time recording a video. If you want to see me trackstand you need to pay me first.
>>
>>978993
>two inches of saddle to bar drop
>saying that like its fucking anything

Hooley dooley you really are a casual mate
>>
>>979517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gng1HfhlW9k
>>
File: 1453999976169.png (55KB, 245x212px) Image search: [Google]
1453999976169.png
55KB, 245x212px
>I really like this bike
>So I'm going to find a shittier bike that's vaguely similar and buy that instead
>>
>>979038

You literally watched one or two hollywood flicks with "grungy urban bike-riding dude" tropes as characters and decided it seemed rad because you've never lived outside of the suburbs.
>>
>>979915
No, I can stop and I do often want to. I like Nasu, a sunday in hell, triplets of belleville and bicycle thieves. I idolize pros not messengers. I've never lived outside of the inner city except a year working and riding in a mountain range.

City riding is still fun desu.
>>
>>979903
Look at that, a mountain bike with wide flat bars!
>>
File: 8cfec.jpg (254KB, 1500x1014px) Image search: [Google]
8cfec.jpg
254KB, 1500x1014px
Bianchi Strada, you can have fast, comfortable and durable in the same bike
>>
File: 1468019719860.jpg (39KB, 600x289px) Image search: [Google]
1468019719860.jpg
39KB, 600x289px
>>979566

Damn Germans and their sense of "humor"
>>
>>979498
steering stabilization. it is pretty common on Dutch city bikes and touring bikes with a Velo Orange leaning
>>
>>978718
Linus
>>
So what exactly is wrong with an upright riding position, other than slightly less efficiency?

And since when does upright necessarily = wide bars and drops necessarily = narrow bars?
>>
>>982771
Because riding upright is around 50% more drag than drops. That sucks on headwinds.

There's nothing stopping you from getting wide drops and a set of risers. You still get all the drop positions 'cept it's comfier.
>>
>>982660
>dat handlebar angle
>that shitty headlight
>them flexy shit brake calipers
>single walled alu rims?
>queer stem

STOP
T
O
P
>>
>>982787
>Because riding upright is around 50% more drag than drops

Which literally doesn't matter since you're going 15 km/h.
>>
>>982771
Terrible for gotta go fast.

Weight distribution puts more weight on your butt, which sucks for longer rides.
>>
>>982829
If you don't go at least 18-20 km/h you're either a woman or you're in horrible shape.
And headwind is really shit.

>>982771
Because they're often as heavy as a normal recumbent without the comfort and without the speed.
For non-short rides they're not even as comfortable as a drop.

It's just the worst really.
>>
>>982866
>It's just the worst really
As in all of the disadvantages of a drop+more and the heaviness of a normal recumbent.
>>
>>979371
Don't do this. Overpriced garbage. We used to carry em, we stopped when the prices went up and nothing else changed on them. Shits not even cromoly
>>
>>978718
I seriously wish you cunts from /fa/ would fuck off
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.