[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do my fellow model railroaders think of model train shows?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Choo Choo Shows.jpg (254KB, 1756x1009px) Image search: [Google]
Choo Choo Shows.jpg
254KB, 1756x1009px
What do my fellow model railroaders think of model train shows? In this day and age of eBay and the internet it's hard to feel like you're getting a good deal anymore for the time you spend to go to a show. At the same time you meet interesting people and have the chance to come up with new ideas.
>>
>>978631

While eBay and the likes are very strong in presence and make it alot easier to access railroad stuff for a (very) good price, swap meets still can offer goods for a fair price. IMO their strength lies in finding 2nd hand material. It is a good alternative to extend your searching area. Sometimes it's just a matter of luck whether you find something useful or not.
>>
>>978631
Swap meets are good for finding something you weren't actively looking for. Say, you just want some extra freight stock to fill out a yard? Hit up a swap meet, you'll find all the random stock you could dream of.
>>
OP here. You both bring up good points. I try to look for new in the box out of production models and used stuff in great shape. I have a nice old collection from my father and I from years ago. I'm starting new with new motive power and rolling stock. Of course I'll still run some of the old stuff but I'm into DCC now and growing past the old standard 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I have gotten lucky and found a nice 8 car passenger set and many vehicles at swap meets. Some of those old guys hate haggling. Even with cash in hand. But for fill in pieces for background stuff it's a good idea to get a $10 box of tyco cars to hide around while you parade around the expensive stuff.
>>
>>978631
I went to the show in Elmont,Long Island. I got good stuff for less. They don't have it anymore.
>>
UK fag here. I went to one when I was very young & honestly it put me off. The coaches I got were non runners; 2 of them had rusted wheels & the quality & looks just can't compete to a lot of newer stuff I had. I mean there good, like has been said for filling up goods yards/ stations etc but for main running rolling stock I'd buy new. I haven't had a layout in about 3 years though, I'll look into them again once I get enough space for a layout.
>>
>>978631
betty gud.
a few years ago i got a 50 year anniversary of the NMRA heavyweight observation car for $5. one sold on ebay for 10 grand :D but its my favorite so it stays
>>
>>979708
you got scammed?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.