[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the actual difference between a $15 bike tire and a $60

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ResizedImage_1373666894872.jpg (111KB, 451x800px) Image search: [Google]
ResizedImage_1373666894872.jpg
111KB, 451x800px
What is the actual difference between a $15 bike tire and a $60 one?

>In b4 price hurrdurr
>>
weight
bead material
wanker factor
>>
>>978620

Durable, light, cheap; pick two.

Of all the parts on the bike(for road cycling at least, dunno about MTB), the tires will probably make the biggest difference in comfort, with appreciable gains in performance as well.
>>
>>978623
Durable, light/comfy/low rolling resistance, cheap pick two you mean.
>>
>>978625

This guy gets it
>>
>>978625
Also grip for cornering.
>>
>>978623
I pick durable and light. Where do i cop?
>>
>>978623
>Of all the parts on the bike(for road cycling at least, dunno about MTB), the tires will probably make the biggest difference in comfort, with appreciable gains in performance as well.

Yeah even going from a 60 tpi rubino to a 120 rubino pro will blow your mind

I would go full microshit + 120 TPI rather than ride 30 TPI + ultegra tqbhf
>>
The difference is massive. You can't even compare a nice 320 tpi tire with latex tubes to <100 tpi tire with butyl tubes.

There used to be a massive advantage to tubulars over clinchers in feel but high quality clinchers with latex tubes almost reach the feel of good tubs nowadays. Tubs still have the advantage that you can run them at lower pressure and not have to worry about punctures.

I still ride tubulars because they provide the best ride. Refusing to ride on inherently unsafe carbon clinchers plays a pretty big part on that though. The extra work when I have to change tires isn't that bad and desu I kinda enjoy gluing my tires.
>>
So, the higher the TPI the better the tire?
>>
>>978712
Better ride but lower puncture protection
>>
>>978714
Puncture protection depends on a lot of things, including on how well you look after your tires. Also there are quite a few high tpi tires that have really good puncture protection as long as you don't ride over nails and massive shards of glass. Those are mostly the roubaix/cobble specific tires.

Checking out your tires and making sure there are no rocks/glass shards/sharp objects embedded to the tire after every ride will massively improve your puncture protection, especially on tires that don't have extremely good protection to begin with.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.