[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question from a bikefag for the trainlore-keepers here. Did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1393985332722.jpg (66KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
1393985332722.jpg
66KB, 500x428px
Question from a bikefag for the trainlore-keepers here.

Did public transport get more expensive in the last couple of decades? Even accounting for inflation?
I take Greyhound a lot, and assuming you don't buy your tickets fairly far-out, it just doesn't seem to be as cheap as it used to be.

In 2011, I was making $7.25 an hour, and had to take a train ride roughly 4 1/2 miles that cost me $3.20 for a round trip, three times a week. (No car, wouldn't bike through ghetto) Does that sound reasonable? Almost ten bucks a week for a tri-weekly loop?
Looking at a month out, an Amtrack ticket from Philly to NYC looks like it's anywhere between $40-$130.

I understand people were paid a whole lot less in the past, but it must have been easier to come up with fair that was under a fucking dollar. Scrap metal right now is less than a penny a pound, for fuck's sake.

Did more people rely on public transport in the past, and thus it was cheaper?
Not asking about how it compares as a value against car ownership, just curious about the seeming price jump.
>>
In Portland we've had fare hikes to $2.50 a ride over the past few years, and it's partly because TriMet is on the hook for pensions that include full health care, and partly because they pay upper management too much and their projects are ridiculous boondoggles, like a small 7.3 mile expansion to light rail that cost over $1.5 billion.
>>
The Metro prices have literally doubled in 10 years where I live.
>>
>>978271
I live on the other end of the world but I can relate to this guy.

Public transport here is not competitive, gets subsidies from state and thus doesnt really strive fro efficiency and profitability. Cities dont really allow private companies to run their lines so its a communist nightmare. The state resisted private country-wide train companies to enter the market as well until it finally gave in. Now they had to close several lines because they couldnt compete.
>>
>>978265
Fellow bikefag here, you won't get a straight answer from anyone directly involved in rail transport because to them there is no problem as long as they have a job and a pension. The purpose of rail transport is to give them a job they can't get fired from and if you don't do what they say they'll shut down the city.
>>
>>978271
Yup, Light Rail in Waterloo region is just as silly. They finally started putting it in after years of beating around the bush.

Maybe it will come to cambridge at some point.
>>
King County Metro and Sound Transit fares have been pretty constant over the last decade.
>>
Over here in germany, its even worse.
I pay 7-10€ for 20 km. Keep in mind thats €.
>>
>>978265
Pro-tip:

It's cheaper to just take Septa to Trenton Transit center, and then take the NJT to NYC
>>
>>978275
>Implying the money in transportation is in the public sector.

Fuck passengers. They're whiny, make messes, tear up your property, are time sensitive, and fragile. Truly the worst freight.
>>
>>978341
It just takes a lot longer is the major downside.
>>
>>978371
Fuck train company employees. They're whiny, go on strike over nothing, hold your property hostage, don't give a shit about getting anywhere on time, and have fragile egos. Robots can't come soon enough.
>>
>>978373
>Implying we can go on strike.
The president has forced every striking employee of a class I back to work since the RLA has gone into effect.
>>
File: thanks.jpg (47KB, 640x355px) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
47KB, 640x355px
>>978426
I'm ok with this
>>
>>978341
>Pro-tip:
>It's cheaper to just take Septa to Trenton Transit center, and then take the NJT to NYC
>>978372

The cheapest way is a megabus, or whatever the other one is

The CHEAPEST way was the stinky dangerous Chinatown buses, but I think Philly shut them down.

One time I got on one and it stop for gas for about 45 minutes without warning. Driver didn't speak english and did not explain why we were driving into South Philadelphia. lol
>>
Last week I was planning to go about 30-40. One way (via train) would have cost me about 12$ while bus (metro) would be like half of that. Is that right? I though trains were supposed to be cheaper. :'(

Im not familiar with trains and public transportation but is 12$ for 30 miles one way good? (california)
>>
>>978265
Gas and oil prices probably aren't helping.

>>978271
>like a small 7.3 mile expansion to light rail that cost over $1.5 billion
It literally costs millions just to research the possibility of doing some work.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.