[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your embarrassment level when you're biking and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
13KB, 480x360px
What is your embarrassment level when you're biking and someone passes you? I get so embarrassed if I'm chugging up a hill and struggling a bit (just started riding consistently a few weeks or a month ago) and one of those guys in spandex passes me pretty easily
>>
I don't mind it. I'm not racing anyone.
>>
I dont really give a shit. I know these guys are better than me. I used to use the excuse that I am on a steel frame from the 1980s with a 42-21 minimum whilst these guys are spinning away on their crabbon compacts but they would still smoke me if we swapped bikes. I only got into cycling a few months ago and these guys were probably all in uni cycling clubs and whatnot. I will get there.
>>
Embarrassment? Just ride your damn bike. Nothing's worse than people that try to race you just because you're going faster than them.
>>
Its funny when a skeleton flies by.

Weighs 90lbs at most.
Looks to be about 85 years old.
Spinning at supersonic speed.
Passes you like you're standing still.
>>
>>977910
What magical carefree cloud kingdom do you live in, and how can i get there?
>>
>>977910
This guy gets it. Although occasionally it is fun to try a bit harder if a group of strong riders passes you. Usually I just try to keep up with line of sight with them.

If I pass someone, I'll usually say "hello" or "good morning." People passing tend to do the same except on descents, but that's okay because you're usually trying to not die at that point.
>>
When I first started I would desperately grab for their wheel and try to take them at the next corner.
I grew up afterwards a fair bit since and have learned that everyone has their own pace or place to be so I just stick to my own pace aiming to increase it a bit every time.
Want to compete? compete against your last best speed on a specific route.
>>
>>977900
If they passed me they've already won, I just try to keep up.
>>
I had a fat guy with a brand new bicycle pass me the other day.

It was so inspiring.
>>
>>977900
>What is your embarrassment level when you're biking and someone passes you?
Zero. Out doing training rides, or just riding, is not 'race day', therefore it's not a competition, therefore there's nothing to be 'embarassed' about, not even if it's another guy from a local team passing me. I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing when I'm supposed to be doing it, and so is the other guy, ostensibly. Only the 'Cat-6' crowd of try-hards take anything seriously that happens 'just riding'.

>I get so embarrassed if I'm chugging up a hill and struggling a bit (just started riding consistently a few weeks or a month ago) and one of those guys in spandex passes me pretty easily
See above; it's not 'race day', nobody is passing you to make you look bad, they're doing what they're doing and you're doing what you're doing and the two have nothing to do with each other -- except apparently in your own mind; you're the one who's making an issue out of this, not them.

If it bothers you so much, really, then I suggest you use it as motivation to consciously work to become a better rider. Otherwise quit with the 'Cat-6' mindset and JUST RIDE, you'll enjoy it much more that way.

Oh and by the way, if you didn't catch on already, I'm one of the 'guys in spandex' that passes people all the time, and I can assure you that the only thought I have when I do, is to make sure I'm passing them safely and nothing more than that.
>>
>be mile 65 of 80 mile ride
>see some guy about a 1/2 mile behind me and probably catching up
>no fucks given keep cruising at about 20ish
>5 miles later he catches me and starts looking back every few seconds for the next minute
>realize he is about 18-20 years old
>keep cruising my speed
>he is about 25 yards in front of me
>comes to a complete stop and turns around randomly
>gives me this little smile like he thinks we were racing and he won
>wonder how many miles he has rode that day and how long he has been at it
>go home and see if I can find him on my strava flybys
>he rode 12 miles that day and it was his 3rd ride since getting the app
>these are the people that think they are racing out on the bike paths
>>
>>977949
I must admit, this reminds me of one of my early rides. I was going to work (12km). I overtook every casual on the road. Then a hhardcore roadie blasted past. When he caught me trying to chase him he slowed down and made it a series of sprints between traffic lights. He then told me at a red light "if you enjoy riding fast, try to get faster than your first commute of the week before. Just always remember, its not a competition on the road, this is just our play ground".
>>
I just hate it when someone speeds up to pass you, then they continue at their normal, slower pace, so you inevitably catch up to them, and they keep speeding up every time you're about to pass them, then slow down. Dumb little shits.
>>
What, you mean like by a car? I guess I would get pretty fucking pissed off that my support vehicles didn't block traffic aggressively enough.
>>
File: tumblr_ma9agzq78d1rcfcwlo1_500.jpg (138KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma9agzq78d1rcfcwlo1_500.jpg
138KB, 500x500px
>>977923
>Its funny when a skeleton flies by.
>Weighs 90lbs at most.
>Looks to be about 85 years old.
>Spinning at supersonic speed.
>Passes you like you're standing still.
>>
I've never been passed. I'm not particularly quick, I just don't see many other riders in my town (probably down to the times that I ride and the routes I take) and those that I do see are super casual.

I do sometimes wonder what they think when I pass them. If someone managed to pass me I wouldn't be embarrassed at all, I know I'm not the quickest and I'm fine with that.
>>
File: tumblr_m6582qHtWv1qapth8o2_1280.png (843KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6582qHtWv1qapth8o2_1280.png
843KB, 1280x720px
>>977954
>>
I think I've only ever had one person pass me, usually I pass everyone else. But, that's mostly because 95% of the people in my area on a bike are people with too many DUIs, or grown ass men on those tiny bmx bikes.

Although, I was going up a steep hill that I normally take on my fun rides, and some dude was salmoning downhill at the same time, on some tiny bike, swerving in and out of the lane. When we passed one another, he started yelling about me going up the hill on a "fixie", which was really funny, because it was just a crummy 12 speed that I Frankensteined from random parts.
>>
>driving in atlanta
>see group of three dudes going up a .5% grade
>guy in yellow almost starts fucking rolling downhill hes trying so hard while standing

full spandex, expensive looking bike, along with the other three dudes he was with
>>
>>977933
reality
>>
>>978006

If they weren't fat/old they were probably winding up a double century or something
>>
>>978010
If people trying to race you just because you're going faster than them is the worst thing to happen to you, you most certainly do not.
>>
>>978015
>tfw did a grouo ride that happened to have a heavier old dude riding it too
>extreme no-drop: everyone goes at the pace of the slowest rider
>after 9 miles, that meant like 10 mph on flat ground and you can't ride any distance around here without hills

I probably won't be doing that ride again any time soon. I felt like such an ass when the group takes forever to clear an intersection or driveway because we were doing not much more than jogging speed
>>
Im a fat (by roadie standards - 75kg) guy with an old road bike who rides mainly to commute and a couple days a week i have a harder ride for fitness and enjoyment of the ride purposes. Ive only ever "Cat 6"d one guy and it was this week. I was coming home from work and whilst waiting at a traffic light this middle aged guy on an S-works caught up with me and gave my bike a dissaproving look and I thought acted like a prick when i said Hi so over the next 1 mile section i put the hammer down whilst he was trying to hold my wheel and eventually i dropped him. I waited at a road crossing for the green light and he came up a minute later huffing and puffing and started chatting to me about how the wind was strong and then when the light turned green he told me to enjoy my ride and we parted directions. I felt like a cunt all the way home and I wont do that immature shit again any time soon.
>>
I feel embarrassed when a car overtakes my car
>>
>>978016
don't be autistic
>>
>>977903
>he races because that makes him happy
what kind of degenerate cunt are u, m8?
>>
Used to be bothered by it a few years back, now, not so much. Its rare for people to pass me these days and if they do, its when Ive been riding for a couple of hours already.

Oh, I also don't mind since I'm pretty big and I'm too poor for fancy carbon bikes. I ride steel and aluminum bikes that are at-least 30 pounds. I kind of use it like an excuse "you wouldn't be passing me if I was on carbon or wearing a full kit"
>>
>>978029
breh u cat 6d him and he was cat 6ing you, mutual respect was had, sounds like some quality racing action, nothing to be ashamed of.
>>
>>978029
>fat by roadie standards
>75kg

When was this agreed upon? ; _ ;

Do I need to lose weight?
>>
>>978094
That insecurity damn man
>>
>>977900

I get about as embarrassed as I do when someone passes me in a car.
>>
>>977952
>he thinks riding long distances is an excuse for getting overtaken

stop
>>
I don't get embarrassed when someone overtakes me. If it's not a race I don't care if someone passes me. I'm not going to start racing someone when I'm on a recovery ride, and consequently make my recovery ride pointless, just because my ego can't handle being overtaken.
>>
I'm in the Netherlands on a bent.*

Nobody passes me unless I suddenly have to make a very tight turns for whatever reason.

*I still get passed on occasion.
>>
>>978154
bet all the chicks pass on you for riding a bent
>>
>>977980
That sums up exactly how it felt. Seen him a few times since and he is still much faster than me. I just learned from that to always assume that the cagers are fat kids trying to bully everyone and that we all gotta stick together and enjoy the time we have there.
>>
Only my mentors are able to overtake me. The only embarrassment I have is not being able to meet up their expectations of my own improvement.
>>
>>978099
Depends how tall you are.
>>
I practice vipassana meditation and am hence very much aware of my psychological defense mechanisms.
When my mind starts proliferating over getting passed by another cyclist I simply wish them well.
An instance of applying mudita, the third brahma vihara.
>>
>>977900
>how small is your dick? Mine's like microscopic
>>
>>978169
And translated into english?
>>
>>978191
he forces himself to not give a fuck
>>
>>978203
Oh. OK. I used to do that too. I've surpassed the forcing bit now.
>>
>>978156
It's okay, at least you can look under the skirts of all those chicks riding dutches from your bent
>>
It's mid race season so I'm usually out doing intervals so if someone wants to pass me they can. Nothing embarrassing unless I'm mid effort then that's impressive.
>>
I don't mind people who I can see are faster overtaking me and disappearing into the distance.
Casuals on hybrids and MTBs who I just passed sprinting past me huffing and puffing, looking back with a smug face and veering off into a side street or pretending to have a mechanical failure 30 seconds later piss me the fuck off.
It shouldn't bother me, but it does, knowing that some faggot in cargo shorts and flip flops is gloating thinking he won a race with a roadie (it's not even a read bike, it just has drop bars).
>>
>>978212
Na lol i actually prefer that, it's cute man, they look up to you as some kind of lofty honorable rival.
>>
>>978218
Yeah I love when some casual in baggy pants passes me on a long ride, I'll let them get a little ways ahead, just far enough so I'm not riding their ass but close enough so they know I'm behind them, then hold the distance for as long as I can stand it as it dawns on them that they won't be able to maintain this pace

then as they look like their heart is about to explode I accelerate and try to pass the with as much extra speed as possible right at the moment they're starting to pull over for a little rest
>>
>>978203
>he forces himself

The shift in attitude comes natural through mindful self observation
>>
>>978220
That's what she said.
>>
I don't give le fuck. I know that I'm much slower than many, and faster than many, and its pointless to try to pretend otherwise.
>>
Got more of a problem running into people who're doing just a tiny bit faster a speed I am.
Just perceptible enough to where they're aware I'm behind them, and I'm aware of consciously holding myself back.

I don't wanna go past em without really going past them, and they won't slow down just a bit to make it easier for both our autistic asses.
Wouldn't generally mind, but I only ever run into little-dicked bros on small bikes, who'd take passing as an affront to their masculinity, or airheads on beach cruisers who can't maintain a straight line and passing them would be chancing hitting them.
>>
>>977900
I hold a grudge against him or her for all time
>>
lel i alwaiz pass garbon spandex freddos on my purefix lmfoa they get so butthurt XD
>>
>>977923
loooool
>>
>>977954
>things that didnt happen:the post
>>
>>978094
Well buy some kit then you fucking shitter. Jesus christ how do you people have so little self respect and decorum whulst riding
>>
>>978156
REKT
E
K
T
>>
If I'm in a group I'll push a bit especially on climbs and compete a bit. If it is a random person I might wave or nod my head to acknowledge them but otherwise I don't really care what others are doing.

I mean, do you get embarrassed if you get passed on the freeway? or if you are walk and a runner goes by? I sure don't.
>>
I'm glad I don't bike around people this all sounds very stressful.
>>
>>977900
I get passed once or twice a year and all I feel is impressed. Is neat to see people who are excellent.
>>
>>977900
I ride a single speed so it doesn't really bother me.
I do sometimes feel bad for the people that I pass.
>>
>>978350
I don't get embarrassed, but I do get a mighty chuckle out of someone who thinks 65-70mph is fucking fast enough, especially when limits around here are usually 55 or so.

They just recently made it illegal to be in the left lane unless you're passing, and I LOVE seeing little dicked Sanics get pulled over.
>>
>>978114

Is it really insecurity doe?

>>978348

I'm poor. I wear cycling shorts and a casual bike jersey (not race fit or anything), have the cheapest Giro helmet available and some knockoff glasses.
>>
>>977952
>get on the last few miles of my ride
>big ass road with rather heavy traffic, but wide enough to fit a bicycle on the right quite comfortably
>notice this older, better equipped rider who looks way too serious to what he's doing
>I am faster pushing it than his cruise speed is
>pass him close and yell "come on!" to encourage him to keep my wheel
>he does and I ""carry"" him for the next 2 or 3 miles before I take a turn where he keeps going straight
Fun.
>>
>>979056
That's always a good feeling

>>978727
What?
>>
>>979059
I think he's talking about cages.
>>
>>977900
When someone passes me i yell "Imaizumi-kun please wait for me! I love you", shift up and start pedaling as fast as i can. People tend to get confused and look at me while i take advantage of their decreasing speed.
>>
>>977900
I get inspired and try to catch up, if i cant i cant but i will give it my best.
>>
>>979089

Lmao copying this idea for future
>>
File: abu.jpg (59KB, 564x436px) Image search: [Google]
abu.jpg
59KB, 564x436px
>>979089
I laughed way to hard at this.
>>
>>979059
Yeah, was responding to the other posters 'freeway' comment
>>
It's motivating for me. I'll try to up my pace a bit and see if I can keep up, but if they're obviously a lot faster than me I'm not going to keep sprinting past and then having them pass me again when I recover
>>
>>979089
This gave me an idea: I need to write an app that will detect when I'm on a 10%+ climb and initiate Hime.
>>
I usually get passed after a climb by the same freds i passed on the climb. Not sure how i should feel about this.
>>
>>979149
work on your pacing

or get your aero tuck better for descending
>>
>>979149
>scared to go fast downhill
>fat freds scream past like the indiania jones boulder on two wheels, unable to stop if they tried
>>
I'm usually chilling, baked, on a touring bike, thinkin' bout stuff and enjoying the air. 100 miles to go, no rush

Then a neon spandex alien 20 years my senior blasts by after a muffled "ON YER LEF" and it's like, wow, I'm not really that healthy I guess. Oh well
>>
>>979168
lol
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.