[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with this new 1x trend? Is it just way form

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: Crafty_R_3_fotobig_.jpg (420KB, 1440x897px) Image search: [Google]
Crafty_R_3_fotobig_.jpg
420KB, 1440x897px
What's the deal with this new 1x trend? Is it just way form manufacturers to save money on a front derailleur, or what?

Also, what do you think of this new 27.5+/6Fatty thing?
>>
12 speed cassettes plus massive rear cogs from the fat bike world gives you a lot of range and decent spacing.
>>
>>947639
Freeride and downhill bikes have been 1x for a while now, way before "1x" was marketed. Coming from that background, Ive never understood the need for a front derailleur, now with todays cassettes more than ever.
>>
>>947639
>Is it just way form manufacturers to save money on a front derailleur, or what?
Partly that. Partly for manufacturers to get people to "upgrade" to 1x and buy more stuff. Partly because, with wide cassette ranges, front derailleurs aren't really needed, and having a 1x setup allows for more smooth shifting.
Imagine if you're running 2x11, you're in your small chainring and 4th smallest cog, you want to upshift. Going to 3rd smallest cog is getting into crosschaining area. Going to big chainring will be a really big jump, probably bigger than you want. So now you have to switch to your big chainring, while also shifting to a bigger cog. That's two shifts instead of just one on a 1x system.

tl;dr 1x is smoother shifting, so it's the best option IF you can get your ideal gear range with 1x. But there's nothing wrong with 2x or 3x.
>>
One reason is it allows the manufactures to do things to the frame that wouldn't work with a front derailleur. Mainly a problem on full suspension frames like the one the OP posted. Doesn't really have a good spot for one.
>>
-Simpler, in terms of both operation and setup
-Lighter
-Cheaper
-More reliable
-Can allow more suspension travel without a separate chain tensioner or massive derailer
-More room for suspension components, larger frame tubes, and larger tyres
-Adequate for most mountain bike uses, geared nice and low with not much care for really high gearing
>>
Because fuck dropping chains.
>>
1x is lighter, simpler, and frees up some space for frame designers. I no longer have any front derailleurs and its pretty nice. You don't have to think about chainline or front shifting any more.

Haven't ridden plus tires. I have some friends who really like it. Doesn't seem like it would match my riding style
>>
Pushed by sram because they can't make good front derailleurs
>>
File: 1452887039497.png (374KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1452887039497.png
374KB, 576x432px
>27.5 x 3
Old people love these bikes. At least in the 352
>1 x
Sry. I'm ss master race 420ayyblaze69#wtf
>>
how does the chain not get too diagonal?
like when you had 3x systems you shouldnt use your smallest chainring with the biggest cog and viceversa? how did they fix that? just sayin
>>
>>947919

Well modern 10+ speed chains are more flexible laterally than older ones, but you're right, the most extreme gears are still on a crazy angle, everyone just pretends not to notice the rubbing and reduced chain life though because they dont want to make SRAM feel bad I think
>>
>>947919
>>947922

1x chains still last ~2000 off road miles with lots of granny gear climbing, good enough. The angle isn't that extreme if your chain line is set up properly. and pedaling is almost silent. The backpedaling chaindrop in granny gear issue is unacceptable though but I hear chains are getting better.
>>
File: DSC_0141.jpg (574KB, 1920x1441px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0141.jpg
574KB, 1920x1441px
>>947925

That's my only annoyance with 11s so far. A friend of mine with a X01 setup doesn't drop at all though, so I may try one once my current XTR cassette wears out.
>>
>1x
10/11 (and now 12) speed cassettes allow you to get semi-acceptable gear range with semi-acceptably small jumps between gears without a front derailleur. Downhill bikes have been doing this for years but it's getting good enough that manufacturers are taking a serious look at it for other/all mountain bikes.

>pros
* One less cable/shifter/derailleur to deal with, few parts to foul up and break.
* No longer constrained to design bottom brackets/seat tubes/chainstays around mounting and operating a front derailleur, which frees up the suspension design considerably.
* Easier to shift when you don't have to think about both derailleurs hurr durr shifting is hard.
>cons
* Bigger jumps between gears or significantly less total range. Often both. SRAM's 10-50 12-speed cassette is the first that doesn't compromise too much over a 2x or 3x setup. (That said, what the hell is the point of SRAM's 10t cog when you have to jump all the way from a 12t to get to it? 20% jump in cadence at the top of the gear range is unusable IMHO)
* Giant dinner-plate low-end cog and long cage derailleur puts the derailleur in trail-plow range if you're not on a wagon wheel 29er or 27.5+ bike.
* Shitty chainline at the top and bottom end.
>>
>>947919
Everyone else seems to be missing the point of your question. With 1x,there isn't the extreme angle from inner ring to the outwards cog, since the chain is always in the "middle" ring
>>
File: the more you know.png (851KB, 1280x931px) Image search: [Google]
the more you know.png
851KB, 1280x931px
>>947922
>the most extreme gears are still on a crazy angle, everyone just pretends not to notice the rubbing and reduced chain life though because they dont want to make SRAM feel bad I think

THIS.

+b-screw tension on the big cogs sucks. smth liek 2x7 or 2x8 is far mroe reliable in terms of chain brake, 1x setups brake chains quite often especially on DH once they have switched to 11 speed chains

>>947919
>ike when you had 3x systems you shouldnt use your smallest chainring with the biggest cog and viceversa? how did they fix that? just sayin

you dont, but it looks cool. also, in most cases you need to run a longer cage
>>
because having 10-15 gears you never shift into is fake and gay.
>>
>>949330
this.

bikes need 5 ratios max.
>>
File: mln04_1[1].jpg (136KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mln04_1[1].jpg
136KB, 800x533px
>>949365
I presume you sport one of these on ur epic ride

I didnt think so you dense downtube
>>
>>949376
fuck off with your forced meme
>>
>>949460
You fuck off you fucking downtube
Not even the anon you replied to
>>
>>949376
idk what the fuck that is why dont you try conversing like a normal person next time.

looks like a single speed free hub? idk, but i said 5 ratios dickweed.
>>
>>949538
That's a 5-speed internally geared hub, my friend.
>>
>>948379
What the hell is chain braking?
Or are you illiterate? Gotta be 18+ to post on 4chan, senpai.
>>
File: cameltoe.jpg (105KB, 599x379px) Image search: [Google]
cameltoe.jpg
105KB, 599x379px
>>949460
>>949523
I hope downtube meme sticks around. i like
>>
>>949376
>>949523
Stop trying to force that unfunny meme, autismo.
>>
>>949764
There's literally just one poster trying to force that meme.
And it's you.
>>
>>949767
>>949766
Go back to towntu/b/e
>>
>>949767
Except I've been using the downtube meme too and I'm not who you replied to, you filthy downtube.
>>
>>947937
>semi-acceptably small jumps between gears
>Wanting small gaps when riding off-road
Dirt road roadie get out.
>>
>>947910
>Pushed by sram because they can't make good front derailleurs

Citation? Front Derailleurs are easy as shit. They've barely changed for 30 years outside of various mounting options and bottom swing
>>
File: WP_20160501_15_49_54_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160501_15_49_54_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
I climb too much for 1X- that granny ring has saved my legs a few times though I rarely use it on the trail.. I prefer a 2X and the thinnest tires I can get. In 27.5 its hard to find thin tires- currently running mavic crossride 2.1s but id rather have a knobbier 1.95. I also dont like super wide bars and i like stubby bar ends. I'm all for the shorter stems though.
>>
Caring about chain crossing makes biking less fun for me. I welcome 1x

But I am slow and lazy. I ride to get fresh air and see shit

I got a gear inch range of 71 to 22 on my touring bike. It's fun but I will have to go 2x. I can live without the top range if I'm carrying a load, but 22 is just not enough for brutal hills

All casual / city / mtbs should consider 1x

To deal with chainline issues they should make chains narrower, then shrink the side of cassettes.

I want a 2mm width chain that lasts forever running on a 3cm cassette from the future????
>>
>>951931
>I'm all for the shorter stems though.

forward geom yo
>>
>>951922
>he drive his bike in his cage to the trails
>>
>>951931
wow that wood flooring looks like #1 oak
>>
>>951961
>He thinks any MTB worth riding performs even passably on roads
I said get out.

>>951931
You too.
>>
>>951964
its brazillian teak
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.