[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you guys have any recommendations for pannier bags? pic not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: s-l1600[1].jpg (202KB, 900x983px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
202KB, 900x983px
do you guys have any recommendations for pannier bags? pic not necessarily related.
>>
Ortlieb if common sense
Carradice if image-obsessed retrogrouch
Axiom if you love regret
>>
Better and cheaper to get a bike trailer. Panniers have many drawbacks.
>>
>>939688
> Going downhill with a trailer

ishh
>>
I guess I'll list some of the drawbacks. Only the most expensive panniers are realibly waterproof. Panniers have very limited space. Panniers are difficult to balance, which will make it difficult if not impossible to relax hands free. Panniers increase weight and wear to bike tires. Panniers make repairs and maintenance more difficult. There are more, just think about it for awhile.
>>
File: image (2).jpg (97KB, 941x703px) Image search: [Google]
image (2).jpg
97KB, 941x703px
>>939690
Also you can't really put a cat in panniers
>>
>>939695
I think I met you in California at a Hiker/Biker campground.
>>
I have one of the Topeak trunkbags with a top compartment and expandable panniers.

So far it's been very good, the capacity is perfect for commuting the slide-rack system is neat.

Hopefully it lasts.
>>
Ortlieb
>>
>>939683
My Ortliebs have always been a little bit leaky in the rain. I would try out some Vaude's but they don't sell them in Canada.
>>
File: 336956-834-556-contain.jpg (87KB, 834x556px) Image search: [Google]
336956-834-556-contain.jpg
87KB, 834x556px
Fastrider Canvas. Go up to 65 liter I believe. Can be folded up when not in use .
>>
Ortlieb city roller.
Nearly as good as the classic version and cheaper.
>>
File: ORTLIEB Back Roller Classic.jpg (30KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
ORTLIEB Back Roller Classic.jpg
30KB, 430x430px
ORTLIEB Back Roller Classic (red).
>>
>>939781
city rollers are newer, they may be cheaper on MSRP but they're more expensive in real life because you can get discounted classics all over the place
>>
File: ccXSLsj1_400x400[1].jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ccXSLsj1_400x400[1].jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>939683
>trash bins as panniers
>>
>>939773
>CST zeppelin tyres
fucking shit
>SR drifter saddle
crap
>plastic body pedals
horrendous fucking shit
>rye/rigida rims
low tolerance polak made sheisse
>>
Can anybody recommend a pannier that can be worn as a backpack?
>>
>>939827
fuck outta here with your OTS lycraboy
>>
>>939844
Ortlieb Vario. I think Vaude has a similar product, but don't know much about it.
>>
>>939845
Never worn lycra,kid
I work with those components daily and they are all cheap shit,with exception of the sr drifter saddle,which is top dollar shit
>>
>>939827
Just the first image I found when I googled 'Fastrider Canvas'.

As if I'd ever ride a bike like that...
>>
Should I get a front rack or rear back?

This is for long rides, and I feel like a rear rack + panniers would add too much weight to the back wheel. The back wheel already looks like it has too much weight on it when I ride it.
>>
>>939683
>Not just getting a large backpack.
Wew
>>
>>939925
Enjoy your impotence
>>
File: wankmobile.jpg (1MB, 1334x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wankmobile.jpg
1MB, 1334x2000px
>>939687
I would bet that Carradice sells more of their Ortlieb-ish CarraDry panniers than their cotton duck ones.

Brooks makes panniers with the Ortlieb attachment system. They look more /fa/ than the Ortliebs but aren't as waterproof, and they're more expensive, so you're paying more for less functionality because you want people to compliment your bags, which is stupid. They also make one set of panniers with the Arkel attachment system that is fucking garbage, and a set of saddlebags for those who would be the biggest twats on earth.

And if you want to be a total retrogrouch prick you can go with the special edition Berthoud panniers that use straps and hook instead of the R&K system that normal Berthoud bags for retroground pricks use. Rivendell (of fucking course) makes panniers with a similar idea of not using modern attachment systems because new things are just the worst.
>>
>>939895
If you weigh 250 lbs then maybe it's not a good idea to put another 50 lbs on the back wheel. Front panniers though are the least aerodynamic thing you can do to your bike.
>>
>>940002
I would love to punch that guy
>>
>>940023
>Front panniers though are the least aerodynamic thing you can do to your bike.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/aerodynamics-of-real-world-bicycles/

Anon, pls
>>
>>940053
>Front panniers (on low-rider racks) were more aerodynamic than rear panniers.
ya don't say.
>>
>>940071
Did you read what the guy I replied to said?
>>
>>940072
Yes, I was scratching my head in a confused manner. One would think that having a flat face on a bicycle would be plowing against the air. I don't have a lowrider rack so maybe my experience is different.
>>
>>940085
It makes the bike a bit like a teardrop, and IIRC that's a very aerodynamic shape.
>>
File: 6.png (21KB, 343x220px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
21KB, 343x220px
>>940094
Only at subsonic speeds, this is how I can tell you are just slow and weak. I bet you've never even broken a crank.
>>
>>940096
> get on my level, casual
>>
>>939766
same experience here
>>
I used two of these things. They work amazingly well.

They are separate and easily snap into place onto the rack. When you aren't using them they fold up flat in two different ways so they end up very small and don't create any extra drag.

The straps are like belt straps and super fucking durable. Had them for 5 years and still don't show any signs of ripping or tearing. Can put a lot of weight into them as well.

Use to carry around my gf;s chihuahua in em.
>>
>>940192
wanted to add they are waterproof.

I rode a trek 7.2(had to sell it when I moved) for those 5 years in rain, sleet, and up to 2 feet of snow. There's no way I couldn't do without a hybrid style bike and tires.

You don't want anything canvas or cloth. Also a plastic hard body style container is hard to deal with when you aren't with your bike. Those bags are waterproof material and they have flat hard backs and flat hard bottoms that fold up.

Was trying to find another picture of it folded but whatever. Those things can carry cases of beer easily.

They are bigger and some saddle bags can be worn like a bag when not on your bike. I just used another ulock to keep em from gettin stolen while the bike was also locked up.

pic is a different product but close enough.
>>
>>939925
How many fucking bags do you plan on riding with? Most people use a sling bag while riding already so if you want to be the most uncomfortable mother fucker in the world with 30 pounds of shit hanging on your back go ahead.
>>
Banjo Bros. About as good of quality as the really expensive stuff but it's affordable and good warranty. I like the "waterproof backpack pannier", designed as a panneir but also has backpack straps.
Everyone says Ortlieb and yeah they're good but overpriced.
>>939844
Banjo Brothers Waterproof Backpack Pannier. I have two and love them. 20 liters each, I believe.
>>
>>940228
>$80 each
>EACH
>complaining about ortlieb pricing
I got my 'liebs for $110 for the PAIR, you are out of your mind
>>
>>939854
Ive never had a pannier bag? that wasn't worn out and torn.
And I've seen quite alot as an lbs monkey

The Dutch are ham fisted fags really
>>
>>940246
You pay for what you get. The bontrager bags up there are $50 each and I thought that was inane until I started using them. Motherfuckers can take a beating.

I have put way too wear and tear on my bike and those bags than I should have but they aren't phased by it at all.
>>
>>940309
Fazed. "Phased" means something else.

And I read your post too fast, I didn't notice the guy was asking for a convertible backpack/pannier, not normal panniers. I don't think there's an ortlieb convertible backpack pannier anywhere near that cheap.
>>
>>940311
Even though I know the meaning of the words I do that shit all the time. Like, if someone asked me for the definitions I would get it right every time. But for some reason I constantly switch words like that all the god damn time.

I rarely proofread though which doesn't help.
>>
File: pannier_carryingsystem_detail2.jpg (39KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
pannier_carryingsystem_detail2.jpg
39KB, 470x470px
>>939785
>>939844
>>
>>940426
why would anyone do that to themselves? That shit looks incredibly uncomfortable at best and absolutely backbreaking at worst.

I guess if you want to train with goku and krillin it's a great buy.
>>
>>940002
holy shit before the picture had loaded i thought "that guy must be swedish"

wasnt wrong
>>
>>939695
That is the coolest handlebar setup. Looks like Albatross with mtb bar ends? In any case, I like it.
>>
>>942525
It's a flatbar with bar ends, with bar ends on the bar ends. Crackheads sometimes build whole sculptures of bar ends on bikes they stole.
>>
>>939683
I use ortlieb knockoffs (Vincita brand) and I can reccomend them. Ortliebs are good but I just dont want to pay their price.
>>
>>939781
>>939786
whats the difference between them really?
>>
>>942640
No shoulder strap on the City. I think there are also some addon puoches that can be hung to the Classic but not the City.
>>
>using any pannier besides ortlieb
>>
>>942565
>It's a flatbar with bar ends, with bar ends on the bar ends.
En nah. Looks like a Surly Open Bar (seen on the bottom here >>943272) with some bar ends on. Still cool tee bee h desu wa.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.