[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just wonderin if this is a mememobile or a solid choice urban

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 27

File: trek.png (286KB, 937x613px) Image search: [Google]
trek.png
286KB, 937x613px
just wonderin if this is a mememobile or a solid choice urban commuting? just need a ride not become a /n/ genius
>>
It is garbage. Make sure that you have drop bars for urban commuting.
>>
is there anything not garbage recommended around this price point?
>>
>>932584
Yeah, are you American?

You have two great options.

Bikes Direct and Craigslist.
>>
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy_al_xiii.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington-sl-xv.htm
>>
>>932577

>rim brakes in 2016

Even Walmart bikes are pretty much all disc brakes
>>
File: acce.png (191KB, 847x488px) Image search: [Google]
acce.png
191KB, 847x488px
>>932596
accessories niga
>>
>>932602
because clearly no such thing as disc-compatible racks exist.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 260x195px
>>932603
>>
>>932577
That's a fine bike if you're buying new from a local shop.

If you buy used, you're going to deal with replacing consumables that wear out like cables, brake pads, etc. along with a tune up. That can get really expensive if you have a shop do it.
>>
>>932577

There is literally no reason to get a flatbar with rim brakes atm. Get hyd discs.
>>
File: fender.jpg (47KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
fender.jpg
47KB, 256x192px
Serious question:

Do you faggots never put fenders or mud guards on your bicyles?

Do you enter school/work with mud up your ass crack and a wet streak of watery mud up over your head?
>>
>>932647
>riding in mud
>>
>>932647
>http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy_al_xiii.htm

I have them on my 820
>>
>>932647
Fender user here. There's some guy on /n/ who thinks rolling around in the mud is his life's calling, and he gets mad at anyone who thinks not running around caked in mud and grime all the time is preferably avoided.

Disregard that guy as he's a fat MTBer who probably rides an e-bike.
>>
The idea with commuters is that you don't want it stolen.

Its true discs stop better and carbon is better and shimano 105s are better and drop bars are better, but these all assist in getting it stolen too

Just get something that will get you there comfortable and safe
>>
>>932678
>a commuting bike gets locked up outside
I suppose a commuter bike also has DUI bars, yes? This is your reality?
>>
>>932678
Take the bike inside at work. Take it inside at home. Don't get it stolen.
>Riding something so shitty noone else wants it either is sure to give you a great quality of life.
>>
File: 1457248959358.jpg (28KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
1457248959358.jpg
28KB, 600x516px
>>932588
> great options
> bikes direct

Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>932753
If you do your own work and don't mind spending a bit on swapping the awful saddle and pedals for something decent they are a good deal. Don't expect much more from them than a bike in a box.

LBSs and they major brands they carry are good for people who don't want to do the work. You have some level of support if warranty issues come up. You pay a premium, but so do drivers when they chose jiffy lube over changing their own oil.
>>
>>932579
>Make sure that you have drop bars for urban commuting
ignore this lycra-wearing clown

the trek is good, buy it
>>
>>932826
Hey look, a bike shop shill
>>
>>932834
yes, if you think there are differences between a bikes direct bso and a 2016 giant youre obviously a shill.
were you born this retarded, or did you get dropped on your head?
>>
>>932577
Yes, it's a good choice. Ignore >>932579, flat bars/riser bars are generally better for commuting. They give you a more upright position which makes it easier to pay attention to traffic (and therefore also safer) and there is really no use for using drop bars unless you're racing and/or riding really long distances.
The one you posted is a good option. Similar bikes such as Kona Dew Plus, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Specialized Sirrus, etc are also good options to look at. I suggest making sure that whatever you get is compatible with a rear rack (not sure if all the ones I name are compatible), even if you don't want one now you might later. As others have said, disc brakes are generally preferable to rim brakes for your uses, but it won't make a huge difference, so if you really love a bike except it has rim brakes, you'll be fine.
If you do want drop bars, Salsa Vaya would be my first choice, but I still recommend against drops for your uses. That said, ideally you should test ride some bikes and see if you prefer the feel of flat bars or drop bars. Either one is fine, I've commuted with both styles of bars and both work fine.
>>932584
Yes, including the one in the OP. You can always upgrade components later.
>>932647
I don't use fenders.
>>932753
This. Craigslist is good IF you know what to look for. >>>/n/bbg can help. Bikes Direct is shit. Cheap, but shit.
>>932828
Seconding this
>>932834
Except you're an idiot and Chinese bikes are shit and Bikes Direct is shit.
>>
>>932856
>my name brand bikes arent made in the republic of china
>>
>>932856
>>932828
here's the thing. flat bars are better for novice riders and arguably more comfortable for very short rides, so in that sense "better for commuting" if we assume "commuting" means "fair weather rides of 5 miles or less"

but ignoring the distance question, commuting generally means riding in sometimes wet conditions. you want discs for that, there is no discussion.

I have no idea if they make inexpensive disc brake hybrids where the brakes aren't some generic garbage, but if they do, op should look at those. or just get the garbage ones and spend a buck on bb7s or spyres.
>>
>>932577
it's a shit bike OP
get a jamis quest or a rigid MTB from craigs.
aluminium is bad
flat bar+skinny tires is bad
those components are trash tier
that bike will need to be completely replace after 3000 miles.
>>
>>932859
And you realy think it was the country of origin that mattered? Jesus fuck. I hope your mom don't feel too bad about that drop.
>wat is geo
>wat is weight
>wat is engineering
>wat is everything
>wat is bike shaped object
>>
>>932868
>Except you're an idiot and Chinese bikes are shit
The shillery
>>
>>932864
Shimano hydraulics are cheaper than most mechs. A set of 395s cost a third of a set of BB7s. Most disc and flatbar bikes come with hydraulics from Shimano or Tektro these days.
>>
>>932589

why the fuck as the galaxy a 1" headtube ?
this would be a killer deal if not.

it's still quite good tho.

the windsor is fine too but can't go adventure bike mode
>>
File: tour13bw[1].gif (44KB, 418x400px) Image search: [Google]
tour13bw[1].gif
44KB, 418x400px
>>932866
>aluminium is bad
So what are you,a weekend warrior plastic frame FREd or a "muh lugs"hipster fag?
>>
>>932864
>you want discs for that, there is no discussion
this guy

ive been riding in snow and rain and slush with shitty rim brakes, get real
>>
>>932870
China bikes built for the empoverished domestic market or export to shit tier countries is shit. That's because the bikes are shit. Not shit because they're built in China, but shit because they're built for poor people, living in China.

No-one ever said chinks can't weld, or that not every big brand have their bikes made in China.

Those nice bikes are made to a completely different standard though, because they're built for relatively rich people who care about and can pay for the result.
The BSO you pay 100£ for costs a tenth to a fith of that for the unscrupulous importer to order with semi-custom branding. You don't even get a decent groupset for 100£, never mind a frame, fork, wheels, finishing kit and cardboard box.

Why am I even explaining this to someone too dumb to understand it in the first place?
>>
>>932876
this guy here again. yeah I used to do that. hence why I am qualified to comment.

there is no legitimate reason to buy a new commuter bike with rim brakes these days.
>>
>>932876
People used to do the Tour on cottered cranks, single wall rims, suicide chain shift and centrepull brakes too. What's your point?
>>
>>932879
>implying bd bikes are meant for domestic market
>implying america is a shit tier country
>implying bd bikes arent made in taiwan
Oh god the shilling is strong with this yuropoor
>>
>>932880
>there is no legitimate reason to buy a new commuter bike with rim brakes these days
in that regard you have a point, then again rim brakes are just cheaper and some people just dont care
>>
>>932678
>The idea with commuters is that you don't want it stolen.

That makes sense until you realize bikes are stolen by tweakers and bums and they will want to ride a bike that won't draw attention to the fact that a tweaker or bum is riding it.
>>
>>932882
my point is some people just want to commute, they dont need or want a road bike with drop bars, clipless pedals, disc brakes, etc

that clear enough for you, boy
>>
Not OP, but is the Raleigh Detour 5.5 any good?

It has disc brakes at least.
>>
>>932883
>implying america isn't a shit tier country
>implying "taiwan" isn't a part of the republic of china
>>
>>932892
>not knowing the difference between roc and prc
>>
>>932888
Two of these are not like the third in any respect. I'll leave which ones as an exercise to the reader.
>>
>>932894
>I'll leave which ones as an exercise to the reader.
on a board where people think clipless pedals are hard to use, and braking from the hoods isn't physically possible, and fenders are somehow unnecessary because "commuting" means riding 3 blocks in the sun twice a year, you're giving the reader an awful lot more credit than the reader deserves
>>
>>932864
>here's the thing. flat bars are better for novice riders and arguably more comfortable for very short rides, so in that sense "better for commuting" if we assume "commuting" means "fair weather rides of 5 miles or less"
Last summer I was commuting 86 miles (round trip), average 3 days a week, with flat bars. Fuck off.
>but ignoring the distance question, commuting generally means riding in sometimes wet conditions. you want discs for that, there is no discussion.
Discs are ideal, yes, but not necessary.
>I have no idea if they make inexpensive disc brake hybrids where the brakes aren't some generic garbage
They do, and some of the bikes I named in >>932856 have disc brakes.
>>
>>932577
90's
MTB
Slicks
>>
>>932890
IMO no, looks like more of a cruiser than a commuter. Not saying it's objectively bad, but definitely not the kind of bike I'd get.
>>
>>932900
>commuting 5 hours a day
>>
>>932902
>slicks
>for commuting
>not semislicks
Faggot. Also, you forgot
>rigid
>steel
>from craigslist
Nice memeing though.
>>932905
Well well, look what we have here. A casual!
>>
>>932859
They're made in Taiwan not China you massive faggot.
>>932870
He didn't say that, I did. Different anons, m8.
>>
>>932908
>republic of china
>>
>>932906
Are you saying you maintained >20mph average through that commute, solo? On a 60cm flat bar hybrid? You should give Team Sky a call and get started on your new career.
>>
>>932906
>only commuting 3 days a week
>calling others casual
>>
>>932911
When the fuck did I say I maintained over 20mph? The ride there took a bit under 3 hours, the ride home took a bit over 3 hours. So like 16-17mph there and 13-14mph home?
>>
>>932919
>3+3 = 6 hrs
>5 hrs
>look a casual
>>
>>932930
I don't think he ever said 5 hours a day. The person who replied to him did though.
>>
>>932930
Are you retarded? I called him a casual because he thinks that commuting 5 hours in a day is unreasonable, not because he thinks that commuting 86 miles takes 5 hours. Though, in truth, the latter makes him a casual too, because it proves that he doesn't do long rides and therefore doesn't understand how long it would take to commute 86 miles. Though even if I did do it in under 5 hours, that could still be well under 20mph.
>>
>>932906
>semislicks
>not changing between slicks and knobbies depending on weather

Look everyone, a poser.
>>
>>932933
>commuting with knobbies
>in any weather conditions
Look everyone, a faggot!
>>
>>932938
>he doesn't commute in snow

And I see know a lot about being a faggot. Not surprised since you admitted to being a lycra roadie.
>>
flat bars r gay

we really need a sticky to that extent
>>
>>932941
>drops require your ass to be out
>drops are used by lycra queers
>flats are used by MTB hardasses

Other way around, kiddo.
>>
>>932938
On snow covered cycle paths and roads? Yes, with semislicks. Through deep untracked snow? No because I don't have a fat bike yet.
>you admitted to being a lycra roadie
Are you fucking retarded? When did I say anything that would suggest that?
>>
>>932945
Meant to reply to >>932940
>>
>>932943
Grow up kid
>>
>>932943
>muh ass
>muh queers
>muh hardasses
>>
>>932826
Going up a bit in price gets you a Taiwanese built frame which has much nicer welds. Factories in Taiwan have been building frames for 30 years now for everyone from BD through the high end steel/aluminium offerings of the major brands. I trust a bunch of democratic, capitalistic Chinese who have been giving the commies the finger for 65 years. I would love to get a custom frame made in the US, but I can't justify the cost given how much I ride.

Contact points make the difference between a bike being awful and being enjoyable to ride. Spend your money on those things. By BD bike ran a bit under $1000 after I swapped the saddle and pedals. I have a tinge of regret because my LBS got dropped by Trek 6 months later and picked up Jamis.
>>
File: avenue-a-xiv-org-2100.jpg (896KB, 2100x1330px) Image search: [Google]
avenue-a-xiv-org-2100.jpg
896KB, 2100x1330px
>>932959
>this is the only alternative to made in US custom frames
Get fucking real.
Pic related is a heap of garbage not even in the same league as the bikes built for the real western market and not Wallmart or 'direct import' scams - AKA OEM-catalogue bikes with custom decals with pretend discounts on imaginary prices.
>>
File: NittoHighrise.jpg (15KB, 600x467px) Image search: [Google]
NittoHighrise.jpg
15KB, 600x467px
>DROPS
>NO, FLATS

you foetuses need to fucking apply yourselves.
>>
File: 21.jpg (806KB, 2100x1278px) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
806KB, 2100x1278px
>>932968
>>
File: grav_fsx1_yel_500.jpg (50KB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
grav_fsx1_yel_500.jpg
50KB, 500x290px
>>932959
Care for a mountainbike, anyone? This $995 list price beauty is yours at the _steal_ price of $330! It's exactly the same as your Stumpjumper, Genious or Process. Honest!
Except for the saddle - the saddle is a bit crappy. And the grips. Except for the saddle and grips it's much the same thing. And the pedals are a bit shit too, but you know, once you upgrade the "contact points" you have one killer mountainbike here from Bikes Direct!

Premium welds. Because that's what matters.
>>
>>932974
>cruiser bars
An hero. Literally the worst bars on the market.
>>932986
Fuckin lol
>>
File: 1457305343490.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1457305343490.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>932974
Wat een kanker bagger stuur.
Laat me raden jij bent een van die gozers die met zn mogolen vrouw en 3 downie kinderen over een 1 meter breed fietspad zit te zigzaggen.
Pleeg zelfmoord
>>
File: martinbrundle.jpg (23KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
martinbrundle.jpg
23KB, 512x341px
>>932990
>mistaking north road replicas for cruiser bars
>>
File: faggot.jpg (30KB, 367x451px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
30KB, 367x451px
>>933052
>implying they aren't a type of cruiser bar
>>
>check out the shape of this guys handle bars
>his bike is a known major brand
>2016, not using disk brakes for short rides on flat terrain
This might be the most autistic thread I have ever seen. Are you guys always like this or I just dont get the memes yet? I just started reading this board a few days ago.
>>
>>933065
>Are you guys always like this or I just dont get the memes yet?
Both. There's lots of drop bar shills here (nothing against drop bars, they're great, but the shills argue that drop bars are always the only right choice -- some even go so far as to argue that mountain bikes should have drop bars) and lycra-clad Freds that like talking shit about hybrids, and we love arguing over little things like whether or not dropper posts are a shit-tier meme (which they are), whether SRAM or Shimano is better (SRAM is objectively better), whether Emily Batty is the cutest female cyclist in the world (she's up there, but not quite #1), etc
>>
>>933072
If you only have one bicycle and you're going to be using it functionally as a mode of transport then drop bars are superior in literally every way.
>>
>>933083
Except you are objectively wrong. You must be a cat 6 racer who thinks he wins his cat 6s because of MUH AERO DROPS when really it's because the people who you "race" aren't actually racing. Keep doing you though, I guess that's what makes you happy. Btw, I pass lycra-clad Freds on carbon race bikes with drops on my heavy steel commuter with flat bars, platform pedals, and semislicks.
>>
>>932678
Basically what >>932686 says. If there is a dedicated bike rack/parking/whatever offered by your employer (or the building owner) then leave it there, as those are usually covered by cctv and/or security (and often won't let you get the bike inside). However I would strongly advice against leaving the bike out for the night when you're back at your place. Quite, dark neighbourhoods during the nights tend to let people operate at peace to open up locks and steal bikes.

>>932892
>"taiwan" isn't a part of the republic of china
Anon, you dumbo.
>>
>>933072
Drop bars are pretty much superior though.

MTBs use flat bars because they were using heavy duty wide flat bars for the leverage. Hybrids mostly use flat bars because MTBs use flat bars and a lot of people that grew up on MTBs are afraid of drop bars. Townies use NR type bars because they're more comfortable than flat bars, and they have no heavy duty high leverage requirement, and technically, they're a little lower maintenance. Grips are more durable than tape, and the brake levers can't be bashed around like on drop bars. There's also the big disadvantage to drop bars that you need one the right width, so there's many sizes of drop bars, and even more variations based on preferences of shape of each part.
>>
The reason why people advocate drop bars is because you have more hand positions and if it gets windy you can go in the drops to get more aero.

If you aren't fit travelling 10km in a strong headwind is fucking torturous.
>>
>>933100
Wrong, aerodynamics is for freds and people wear lycra because it looks fashionable

Also, parts that didn't come with the bike, and removing the reflectors, is try hard hipster shit
>>
File: interrupter-levers.jpg (92KB, 600x288px) Image search: [Google]
interrupter-levers.jpg
92KB, 600x288px
>not having CX levers to switch between comfy flat and drops positions
>>
>>932577
the bike seems decent, even though it gets shipped with lowend equipment like Shimano Alivio or Acera. Honestly, if you just do simple commuting, what do you fucking need but a stable bike that doesn't brake? If you want a fast bike, then pay thrice the price
>>
>>933212
>doesn't brake
take your fixie faggotry elsewhere, senpai
>>
>>933211
These are shit. I had them on my bike and it just takes up too much bar space.notic how theres no space to mount any lights. My bars were 40cm and the levers were about a cm away from the sides of the bars. Moving it to the centre to get optimum leverage meant sacrificing all bar space. Sure it's handy in cross but cross only. Its utter shite for a commuter.
>>
>>933235
>they take too much space
Which is why they're meant for wide touring bars. Did you put them on standard drops by any chance? If so, then yes they take up space.
>>
File: BergamontVitess6.0_2015.png (357KB, 670x395px) Image search: [Google]
BergamontVitess6.0_2015.png
357KB, 670x395px
Hey, /out/ist here, I'm about to buy a trekking bike, want to add other handlebars and a front carrier.
Did I make a good choice?
>>
>>933287
>Did I make a good choice?

No
>>
File: 711PXMbMsWL._SL256_.jpg (11KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
711PXMbMsWL._SL256_.jpg
11KB, 256x192px
>>932577

pros:
> fat tires
> fender eyelets
> front/rear rack eyelets
> V-brakes = better than capiler/canti for rain
> good price
> cool color for cheap bike

cons:
> flat bars will annoy you on windy days (can't lower your torso enough
> lack of multiple hand positions painful on long rides (get some ergon grips imho)
> a bit heavy

It's a great first bike. imho

What I would invest in, in order:
> new saddle if that doesn't work. SMP TRK ($60)
> pinned pedals ($25 job from amazon)
> kool stop pads if rain riding ($30)
> Full fenders for rain riding ($35)
> rear rack ($25)
> panniers ($50)
> Ergon grips ($20)

check ebay for cheapest stuff
>>
>>933287

yeah.

now butterfly bar that bitch up

>>933211

meme brakes for drop noobs

>>932974

swept bars handle like a flying turd unless you get a real long, thick, girthy stem
>>
>>933362
listen to this reasonable man
>>
>>933362
>pinned pedals
meme
>>
>>933364
>meme brakes for drop noobs

There's going to be times where the flat position is needed when commuting in cager traffic. You can't always be in the drops. There's going to be times where you need those levers.
>>
>>933415
... In the drops is the go-to position in traffic.
>>
>>933404
>>pinned pedals
>meme

What the fuck did you jsut say to me you little bitch?
>>
>>933362
Flat bars aren't a con for a commuter dumbass. Put bar ends on if you do long rides.
>>933287
No. Get a LHT or Vaya.
>>
File: bettiniphoto_0050177_1_full_600.jpg (29KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
bettiniphoto_0050177_1_full_600.jpg
29KB, 600x403px
>>933362
>flat bars will annoy you on windy days (can't lower your torso enough
pic related
>lack of multiple hand positions painful on long rides (get some ergon grips imho)
you can use the bar itself for narrow grips or wide grips
>a bit heavy
carbon fiber

and for the record one of my KOMs have been set on a flat bar bicycle.
>>
File: road1.jpg (424KB, 800x505px) Image search: [Google]
road1.jpg
424KB, 800x505px
>>933425
How would you look up? What if you're going slow between cars? Drops are viable for when you're on long distance, traffic free roads.

>>933432
>LHT
Funny how there was a thread not too long ago, saying how it's shit. >>928557
>>
>>933072
>lycra-clad Freds
Why are they called Freds? I know this type, why do they wear that bullshit.
>>
File: fred.jpg (155KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
fred.jpg
155KB, 612x612px
>>933451
Freds are people who pretend to be serious cyclists and buy really expensive high end bicycles, cycling clothing, etc, but hardly ride. Fred has a carbon road racer that cost him over 9000 shekels (and that's only one of his 13 carbon bikes) but he only rides twice a week, each ride is only 15km, and it takes him an hour to ride that 15km.
If you mean where did the term come from, not sure.
Pic related is a fred.
>>
>>933425
Are you a fucking moron or a bad troll? Drops = lower position = worse field of view (and less visible to cagers).
Flat bars are also easier to make quick moves on while maintaining balance, such as quickly dodging a death cage that acts unpredictably. However, this is more applicable to inexperienced cyclists, as experienced cyclists will have no problem making such quick moves whether they are using flats or drops.
>>
>>933443
>Funny how there was a thread not too long ago, saying how it's shit
There's one person (or maybe a few people) on /n/ who is really butthurt over Surly for whatever reason so he likes talking shit about Surly at every opportunity. Surly makes great bicycles and the LHT is one of the best options, if not the very best option, on the market for a heavy duty touring rig (unless you want to go custom, obviously), and also makes a good trekking/randonneuring/commuting/etc bike. I'm not a Surly fanboy, none of my four bicycles is a Surly, but Surly makes great stuff and the LHT is a great bike.
>>
>>933443
If you have a hard time doing those things in the drops your bike's fit is all fucked up.
>>
>>933443
>Funny how there was a thread not too long ago, saying how it's shit.
There's a Surly shill, and few people that own Surlys that think they're the shit, you can see them in the other thread you posted. Surly makes shit bikes, but Surly owners have drunk the kool-aid and there's one autist that thinks a shill literally means an employed and salaried Surly staffer, and denies any shilling based on that definition. Surly owners will praise Surlys are ever possible opportunity because they're mediocre bikes with a high price tag, and is really one of the worst options unless you need a specific feature of a Surly bike, like 26" wheels or a fatbike. For off the shelf general purpose riding almost anything is better than a Surly. Surly is only decent for custom builds. The Surly shill will generally deny any involvement with Surly, but then praise Surly anyways as if he owned one. Surly is a shit bike.
>>
>>933467
Lower by a few inches, not really a big deal compared to the big increase in control. The flats of drop bars are not equivalent to flat bars at all, I guess maybe if you're used to narrow gaps hipster bars.
>>
>>933467
most mtb have flat bars so wide as to cause sluggish steering.
>>
>>933482
This. The lever is so long that your arms have to move a lot to turn the wheel. You might think steering is more precise because of the long lever, but splaying your arms out hurts precision, which is why drop bars are usually matched to shoulder width. The long lever is an advantage when riding over rough terrain and holding a steady line, where the long lever and sluggish steering prevent rocks and logs from knocking your wheel around.
>>
>>933474
>>933470
Reading these two posts back to back makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Same post practically turned opposite against each other. I guess Surly, specifically the LHT model, is a "love it, or hate it" manifestation.
>>
>>933476
>>933467

Flat bars suck for most applications besides MTB. And they need to be prohibitively wide + short stem to do it well

Drop bars offer the visibility of the flat bar on the hoods, with the aero and increased control of the drop position.

If you don't ride in drops you don't know about drops. They are the best. They've been popular for so long for a reason. There is no improvement to be made when it comes to road riding. Flats are for noobs and MTB guys
>>
>>933482
>>933491
Flat bar commuters and hybrids have narrower bars than mtbs.
>>933717
Give me a single reason that drops are better than flats+bar ends on a commuter. Protip: You can't (beyond personal preference obviously).
>>
>>933717
>There is no improvement to be made when it comes to road riding.
Road cycling =/= commuting
>Flats are for noobs and MTB guys
And commuters and bikepackers and, with the proper bar ends and such, some randonneurs and tourers.
>>
>>933724
>commuters
noobs

>bikepackers
mtb guys

>randonneurs and tourers
noobs
>>
>>933725
>>commuters
>noobs
>>randonneurs and tourers
>noobs
Oh, I see. You're shitposting. Not even trolling, just blatantly shitposting.
>tips fedora
>>
>>933733
>implying a tourer or a randofag that doesnt at least have butty bars but uses a flat bar with bar ends isnt a noob
>>
>>933474
Jesus, you're mad as fuck
inb4 I'm a shill, I've never even physically touched a surly, my only opinions on them come from your bottomless cup of assmad, and for that I love surly
>>
>>933467
Braking from the drops is actually mechanically advantageous because of the lower CG, you can brake harder without going over the bars
>>
>>933738
>randofag
>talking shit about randonneurs because you are too weak and pathetic to ride over 100km in a day
>implying bar ends are the only thing that can be added onto flat bars, see OP pic in >>933434
>>
>>933749
>not running butty bars
Noob
>>
>>932647
My winter bike has a rear fender. By real bike doesn't and I got to work with a big brown stain on my ass.
>>
>>933751
Name one advantage of butterfly bars over the setup I linked. The bar ends are equivilent to the outsides of butterflies. The flats are equivilent to the front or rear part of butterfly bars, but with grips which are more comfortable than bar tape. And the front and rear part of butterfly bars aren't much different from each other, one is just a little further forward and lower position which is offered by the aero bars, whereas the aero bars change up the position more significantly. It's still 3 hand positions just like butterfly bars, but grips instead of bar tape and the 3 positions are more varied. And sure, you could put aero bars on butterfly bars, but if you put them on the front they'd be too far forward to be ideal, and put them on the back they'd interfere with shifters and brake levers. There really isn't an advantage of butterfly bars over the flats+ends+aeros setup.
>>
>>932649
>>riding in mud

No, this is called living in the UK.
>>
>>933756
You do realize you can put grips on buttybars don't you?

You do realize aerobars mount next to the stem?

>nooblet
>>
>>933756
>>933767

All touring bar setups are fug-ugly shit

Now kiss eachother
>>
File: kek.png (311KB, 879x759px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
311KB, 879x759px
>>
>tfw you want to get a bike but don't know what any of the words mean
>>
>>933796
S H E L D O N
H
E
L
D
O
N
>>
>>933725
>only lycra roadies are the true pros

The smug is real.
>>
>>933747
Have you at least ridden one?
>>
>>933801
yes, I magically managed to ride one without physically coming into contact with it

it was transcendental
>>
>>933804
>its a great bike
>i know this because someone said it was shit
>therefore it must be good
>>
>>933807
>I'm so angry at surly that I can't even reply to a joke without going full autismo RRRAWWWR SURLY MAKES ME MAD
I love you
>>
>>933769
>putting form over function
>ever
At least my LHT touring rig makes more sense for commuting than some overpriced Italian road bike.
>>
>>932906
>not based 23c gators though chicago winter

WELL HOWDY THERE CUPCAKE AREN'T YOU CUTE

>>932945
He doesn't live in urban places overflowing with bikes

>>932974
And someone left this fucking baby here. How are people this irresponsible. this is like voting for bernie sanders.

Or hitler

>>933052
oh no they can do one kind of bent over position

go figgity figgity fuvk yourself manlet

>>933208
I bet you're such a faggot you run breaks on your freewheel bikes for riding in traffic.

>>933090
YES

THIS MAN UNDERSTANDS

>>933425
This. Lean on cars and piss on them inbetween frantic sprint pedaling

Growl at them so they know you're faster.

>>933443
>slow
>bikes

No, bike fast. 4 wheels bad 2 wheels good. >>933722
Aero position allows face down riding in the rain

SICKITYY SICKITY SUCK IT~!

>>933724
Flats can be lighter weight and for faggots who want to squeeze and dont just use ape hangers facing forward
>>
To be fair you can pretty much urban commute on a wallmart mixte.
>>
>>933880
i urban commute on a dick

heyyyy reginald babe it's almost worky time I'm all lubed up and ready to goooo~ :3
>>
>>932875
neither, I just prefer nice ride quality at a fair price.
>>
>>933796
>tfw you want to get a better bike, but asking 4chan doesn't help at all, as everyone just needs to autistically show his power level rather than help the newbie
>>
>>934095

I am a bored 30 year old NiceGuy(tm)

Tell me what troubles you, my son
>>
>>934095
Because there is a dedicated thread for buying bikes and another dedicated thread for all things bikes. The helpful people are in those threads. Now stop bitching about it because you're too retarded to use the catalog
>>
File: scirocco-life-trail.jpg (141KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
scirocco-life-trail.jpg
141KB, 640x480px
>>934111
Since time immemorial I've been a poorfag, riding pic related.

Now I'm finally a decent, non-NEET human being and would like to waste money on a good bike.

My basic requirements/points are:
>commuter hybrid
>have potential for gotta go fast, with a healthy amount of torque, I hate having to pedal like a madman to go above 25km/h
>bit paranoid about potholes, so something sturdy, but not too widewheeled
>somewhere in the 500€ range
>willing to give drop bars a go

Maybe instead of giving concrete examples, you could tell me what to look out for in buying such a bike and whatnot.
>>
>>934119
You want a flat bar road bike
>>
>>932596
good rim brake > bad disc brake

learn
>>
>>932678
renter's insurance, idiot
>>
File: 1456432705885.gif (118KB, 199x133px) Image search: [Google]
1456432705885.gif
118KB, 199x133px
>>934134
So much this
>>
File: 04.jpg (1MB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
1MB, 1800x1350px
>>934127
>flat bars

my least favorite /n/ meme
>>
>>932784
Once you actually start to ride those cheap frames won't hold up very long. It's a good choice if you don't bike very often, but if you ride every day that bike won't last more than a couple years even with frequent maintenance
>>
>>934264
>have a motobecane frame
>changed saddle
>changed cranks
>changed handlebars
>changed brake pads
>commute everyday
>leisure rides at least once a week
>trails once a month
>minor maintenance every 6 weeks
>major maintenance maybe once a year

Still going strong 3 years later. Best bike I've ever had.
>>
>>934280
I might add that I changed the saddle outright.
The cranks didn't get changed until I wore them out after two years.
handlebars got gnarled in a crash on a trail so they had to be replaced
and the shitty brake pads got eaten up in about 4 months so I replaced them with Kool Stops because rain.
>>
>>934280
>thinks motobecane is anywhere near the direct import shit league
Nigga, you just went full retard. Motobecane in the EU is a well reputed manufacturer with a century of pedigree. Motobecane US is Kinesis, also a well reputed firm. This is the good stuff.
Compare my pics:
>>932968
>>932986
... with anons Motobecane:
>>932984

One is a real bike. The other two are not.
>>
>>934290
I think you missed the point, but that's okay.
>>
>>934408
>>
>>934408
>responds to post about bikes direct frames by praising motobecane
>someone else missed the point
Sure, buddy.
>>
>>934412
you do realize that 99% of the Motobecanes you see today are nothing but Taiwanese-sourced frames with a name slapped on for marketing? And have no relation to the Motobecanes of "old" in any other way except a name? That Bikes Direct owns the rights to that name in the same way that Pacific Cycles owned rights to distribute Schwinn branded bicycles? The same way that Bikes Direct imports and distributes other brands such as Gravity Bikes?

Also I wasn't necessarily praising Motobecane anyway. The frame on my bike is actually "unbranded", but it's the exact same frame that's used for "Motobecane" branded hardtails sold through Bikes Direct and other distributors that have a reputation for selling BSOs.
>>
>>934417
>you do realize that 99% of the Motobecanes you see today are nothing but Taiwanese-sourced frames with a name slapped on for marketing?
Nigga, did you even read my post? That's litteraly the third sentence of it.

Kinesis is a reputable manufacturer of high quality frames under their own name. That they happen to be sold under the Motobecane name in the US because reasons is well understood. This does not make them in the league of catalogue BSOs.
They perhaps aren't very good value with the insane prices BD puts on them, even after the "discount," but they are good frames even when rebranded.
http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Maxlight/Phase

That doesn't make the DB operation less of a scam.
The local equivalent here sells - among all the BSOs - Fuji eight-speeds with downtube shifters for 800€(!) after "discount," with a pretend "value" of 1200€.
Would you recommend that dealer - would you say you're getting a good deal?

You're getting bloody well ripped off, even if you don't buy the bikes that are blantantly unfit for any purpouse but small-boat anchors.
>>
>>934417
>you do realize that 99% of the Motobecanes you see today are nothing but Taiwanese-sourced frames with a name slapped on for marketing?

As are most other well known name brands. Giant owns several factories in taiwan who make frames for other brands in addition to Giant. 3rd party OEMs dominate carbon fiber frame manufacturing.

http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

http://cyclingiq.com/vertical-limit/

Companies like bikesdirect and nashbar have figured out they can make more money by dealing with original design manufactures (ODMs) to do away with R&D, branding, and distribution to retailers. The ODM designs, builds, and even brand the bikes. They sell directly to large internet based retailers who sell to consumers. They undercut companies established in the old model of OEM -> brand -> distributor -> retailer -> consumer.

Steel and aluminium frames are not rocket science. Drivetrain parts are a bit trickier which is why there are only 3 major brands. An ODM builds their own frames, throws bulk purchased parts from Shimano/SRAM on them and sells to Bikes direct to who retails them.
>>
So if you get it, how'd you miss the point?
>>
>>932577
>tfw you but don't like any of the colors
>>
>>934440
To be honest, if Canyon can get their game together, Canyon does design and R&D in house, but is consumer direct and cuts out the distributor/retailer, and is their own brand, and a Canyon would be fairly cost competitive with BD bikes. It's mostly about cutting out retail and distributors, because those add cost without improving the product itself, just accessibility. However lowering prices also increases accessibility. It doesn't matter who does the design, R&D, manufacture, or consumer sales. Those have to be done by someone.
>>
>>934119
>500 euro
Buy used. An OTS (old ten speed) steel road bike is your best bet. Yes, they're a meme here on /n/, but really, that's your best option. If you wanted to spend more money, a cyclocross bike (as in a commuter style cyclocross bike such as a Crosscheck, Straggler, Vaya, or Macho Man -- not a cyclocross race bike) with ~32mm semislicks would be my advice, but at 500 euros, an OTS is better unless you find a good deal on a used cross bike.
I suggest looking for a bike that can accomodate a rear rack as well.
>>
>>933767
>You do realize you can put grips on buttybars don't you?
Which negates an advantage of the alternative setup, but doesn't provide an advantage to butterfly bars.
>You do realize aerobars mount next to the stem?
Your point? On butterfly bars there's two places they could theoretically be mounted but neither would work very well for reasons I already illustrated.
>>
>>934440
>Drivetrain parts are a bit trickier which is why there are only 3 major brands
And only one that's actually worth considering
>protip: It's not Shimano or Campy
>>
>>934562
You are a clueless idiot and you don't even know what you're talking about
>>
>>934562
>being this much of a touring noob
>>
>>934563
M I C R O S H I F T
>>
>>934567
>>934569
>samefags
>doesn't even have a counter-argument
>>
>>934577
There's no counerargument needed because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It's more entertaining to watch you be ignorant and act smug at the same time
>>
>>934581
>There's no counerargument needed because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about
Logical fallacies at their finest. There's no counterargument because you literally have no argument.
>>
>>934584
It's more because you've never even looked at a picture even if a trekking bar
>>
OP is asking for a recomendation for a bike for a sub 10 mile commute... Why do we have to have an autistic shitshow over handlebars every time?

Holy fuck just get flat bars OP....
>>
>>934586
Flat bars are literally ordinary bicycle tier technology, and even then ordinary bicycle handlebars developed bends to make them better. Maybe OP should just buy an ordinary bicycle to match is flat bars.
>>
>>934586
Thank you!
>>
File: 1419818857120.png (88KB, 298x332px) Image search: [Google]
1419818857120.png
88KB, 298x332px
>>934586
>>934596
Stop shilling for cuck bars.
>>
>>934586
Fucking this. Flat bar is by far the best option for OP.
>>934598
Stop shilling for fred bars. Drops for any purpose other than road/track racing or personal preference are a meme.
>>
>>934599
But everyone should have a personal preference and not just use flate bars because its a meme. A personal preference of drop bars
>>
File: 4149281849_f1b9f77a30.jpg (111KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
4149281849_f1b9f77a30.jpg
111KB, 500x375px
>>934599
>>934586
>>934604
How about this: you're all wrong. Moustache bars are superior to drops and flats.
>>
>>934845

You don't need that hipster shit for a short commute. Flat bars are sufficient unless you want hipster street cred at the whole foods market.

Also riding with your hands not on the brake levers is dumb. Have fun getting rekt while you play grabass with your handlebars.
>>
>>934851
>hipster shit
That design has been around before you were born, sonny. And that position is for casual riding in residential streets. Don't tell me you actually ride in the drops for trips to the grocery store.
>>
>>934855
>been around before you were born
How was this supposed to refute hipster-ness?
>>
>>934604
>claims to agree to person preference
>then says everyone's personal preference should be drop bars
>presumably joking about personal preference
You're not funny nor are you correct, you're just a fucking moron. Kill yourself.
>>934845
No.
>>934855
He said to get flats, not drops, fucktard. How the fuck is riding in drops while commuting even relevant regarding flats vs moustache?
>>
>>934855
>That design has been around before you were born, sonny.
No it wasn't. Not the Bridgestone-style mustache bars. Those were introduced in 1992 and were a bastardization of North Road and early Drop bars.

Now drop bars have been around a lot longer than me. Flat bars too.
>>
File: 8172547298_694638a6b8_b.jpg (142KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
8172547298_694638a6b8_b.jpg
142KB, 1024x683px
>>934864
>No it wasn't
Not that guy, but technically speaking the style that today we call "mustache bars" has been around since at least the 1920's and experienced a surge in popularly in the 30's. They're somewhat newer compared to drop bars which have been used since the 1890's - but previous anon is right that the design has been around for a long, long time.
>>
File: 1931_James_full.jpg (807KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1931_James_full.jpg
807KB, 2272x1704px
>>934867
Another fine example
>>
>>934867
>>934868
FTR: this design was popularized by the British racer Jack Lauterwasser. Soma Fab. offers a revival of the design.
>The More You Know
>>
drop bars are a meme
>>
>>934874
/thread
>>
>>934868

I'm in love

> 1x
> pannier mounts
> weight weenie levers
>>
Not the OP but I just bought one. I don't give a shit.
>>
>>934855
>there is only one grocery store
The expensive and shitty one within walking distance I'm not going to be riding my bike

The one that's 8 miles away, with the god tier butcher department and amazing selection of produce and reasonable prices, why wouldn't I ride in the drops?

Is there some minimum distance allowed for drops riding?
>>
>>934867
No, those are early drops. 1890's bullshit. You're a filthy liar. Bridgestone style mustache are very wide taped the entire length and use drop bar levers.
>>
>>934870
And they came before multi position drop bars. They came with grips and unhooked brakes. They were distinctive because of the drop, the near parallel grips and most importantly the long reach
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.