[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bicycle repair tools. I want to start repairing bicycles as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: what-have-i-done66.jpg (177KB, 615x442px) Image search: [Google]
what-have-i-done66.jpg
177KB, 615x442px
Bicycle repair tools.

I want to start repairing bicycles as a side gig. Do you guys know where I could get tools on the cheap?

I'm Dutch if that matters.

Also not sure what tools would be considered the bare minimum to start.

My list so far:
>set of wrenches,
>allen keys,
>couple screwdrivers,
>flat and nose pliers,
>a chain tool,
>a pedal removal tool,
>spoke settings thingy

Anything else?
>>
File: pfft.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pfft.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
You cannot accept money for something you are barely prepared to do. Get better and you'll know when you're ready.
>>
>>929340

I'm not going to do the usual fare. I'm going to be buying used bicycles for cheap and restoring them and selling them onwards.

And I've been disassembling bicycles and reassembling them since I was 6 so I know my ways around them.

My only problem with tools is that my father never allowed me to buy specialized tools so I had to make do with wrenches and not much else. I still managed everything but now I want to do it the easy way.
>>
>>spoke settings thingy
>>pedal removal tool
please don't OP
>>
>>929310
>I'm Dutch
Just use a ball peen hammer and a pair of pliers, anything bike-specific is Fred shit for "sanic" people who don't understand special Dutch cycling culture.
>>929340
I wouldn't worry about it, a bike should be a rolling death trap and barely a hair's breadth from tossing into the nearest canal otherwise it's sanic garbage for people from other countries.
>>
>>929345

People really don't understand us.

It's also worth mentioning that there is no need to tune your spokes until there is a solid 4cm of wiggling on the rear rim. I spot some faggot riding such a bike every single day.
>>
>>929310

The cheapest option is buying a FULL set of tools

I've stupidly bought them one at a time and it cost a lot more than it should have

Also, pausing a project while you wait 7 days for one tool to come in the mail is infuriating (this is a big problem with older bikes using non-standard BB tools and shit like that)
>>
Bikes need a few specialized tools. Cone wrenches, chain whip, chain tool, spoke wrench, pedal extractor to name a few absolute essentials. Cheapest way to get these is to buy them in a kit. Spend $100 and you'll be set for a while.
>>
>>929340
I taught that guy's son how to ice-skate, btw. kid was ADD and hyper as fuck.
>>
File: 1429645591878.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1429645591878.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>929310
Assuming this isn't a troll thread:
Bike stand, wheel true stand, table vice and the axle holder deals, grease gun, chain whip, adjustable pipe wrench.
>>
>>929310

I doubt there's much money in it m8
>>
>>929310
>a pedal removal tool

don't be so hard on yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
You'll need one of these if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
a torque wrench, tight jeans and edgy tattoos.
>>
>>929556

>http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietsen-en-brommers/fietsen-heren-herenfietsen/m1026274669-opknap-fiets-gazelle-montreux.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

There's plenty of nice opportunities. Look at the above. It doesn't seem like it requires much to be road worth again. It could probably sell for 75€ once that's done.
>>
I have a similar question. I want to start fixing my own bikes.
>>
>>929355
Is there a noob bike fixing kit with a guide somewhere on the internets? I'd pay $100 easy
>>
>>929622
Like a nice little bundle.
>>
>>929622

You don't need it. Most stuff is trivial. Like seriously. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to disassemble and reassemble anything on a bicycle.

And then if you get stuck, there's tons of youtube videos on how to do practically anything.
>>
I bought Park Tool Screwdrivers and it was the biggest mistake i ever did. They are the cheapest shit of Screwdrivers i've ever had, and thats mostly why i try to avoid Park Tool because its entirely shit. So here its my recommendation: Don't buy yourself memetools
>>
>>929310
thats a pretty good list
you can do most shit honestly with allen/hex wrenches these days

I'd definitely get

cable cutters
and if you bike a lot and have different cassettes, get a csasette lock ring tool+chain whip
>>
>>929628

>tfw trying to unscrew a rusted nut/screw with cheap steel tools and the tools dent before the nut/screw loosens.

Possibly the most frustrating feeling related to bicycle repair.

>>929632

Will do but most bicycles I'll be dealing with have three speed hub gears.
>>
>>929584
gr8 b8, m8. i r8 it 8/8
>>
>>929628
I think it just depends. I don't get why anyone would pay the Park-tax on a set of fucking screwdrivers over ordinary Stanley or Craftsman in the first place.

I've had a Park crank-puller since a lot of y'all on this board were in diapers. that's not meant as an appeal to my authority, nor do I use it a lot. but it's been solid and reliable every time I've used it. just the facts.

looking thru my box, I've got the following from Park:

freewheel tool
sealed bottom bracket tool
35/36mm spanner
red and green spoke wrenches
green pin spanner
cog scraper/brush combo

all very reliable, no problems ever. I really love the brush. perfect size/stiffness and the scraper end really gets at the heavy gunk.
>>
File: 20160304_161640.jpg (1MB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20160304_161640.jpg
1MB, 1400x1050px
tool thread?
>>
>>929748
yes, it is
>>
Whats a pedal removal tool? I just use a wrench to get em off
>>
>>929775

It's just a regular wrench but flat.
>>
>>929748
>tool thread?
yes, you are
>>
>>929778
>>929778
Hellow GW
>>
File: BLX22-1.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
BLX22-1.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
What are the best quality allen wrenches?

The chrome plating on my nashbar set flaked off and are rusting to shit. I'm not very satisfied with the quality of tools from bike tool makers in general.

Can someone here vouch for Bondhus wrenches, or is there a superior solution?
>>
>>929843
Do you want the BEST QUALITY allen wrenches possible, or do you want "good, but also affordable"? Because those are two very different questions.

But basically, you can't go wrong with Wiha.

Ball end metric set is part #66996

Non-ball-end metric set is part #35297

Ball end inch/metric combo set, if you want to work on things other than bikes, is part #66982.

I like buying tools from KCToolCo, but you can also find them on Amazon.

Also, generally speaking, you should only buy from bike tool makers if you need bike specific tools. You can find much nicer screwdrivers, mallets, and wrenches elsewhere.
>>
File: 20160305_114851.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160305_114851.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>929843
Facom has GOAT quality steel and our allen keys show that,they have been ABUSED vut are still pristine
>>
>>929853
"Best quality" perhaps not, but something good enough that a professional machinist would see fit to use.
>>
lol bud u gonna need a lot of tools
>>
>>929355
>not making a chainwhip with a piece of chain and half a pair of pliers

u dumb tho
>>
>>929843
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/home-wrench-put-a-hex-in-your-hand-42917/

http://toolguyd.com/offbeat-hex-key-driver-tools/

>basically Bondhus is best value

Park hexs are just rebranded Bondhus

>>929853
This
>>
>>929345
>special Dutch cycling culture

>having to sit in bike traffic jams caused by normie cyclists doing 1km/h
>no hills at all

Sounds fucking boring desu
>>
>>930934
The standard is bike paths four metres wide with separation of pedestrians and cyclists. A slow cyclist will not be holding anyone else up. They just pass.
>>
>>930934
>no hills at all
Sounds amazing senpaitachi
>>
>>930934
There are hills, but not in Edgy City, were everybody thinks THEY are the Dutch and everybody else from the country are friendly but backward people with weird accents and dialects.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.