[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm completely new to cycling and I agreed to go on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: 16_FUJI_SPORTIF_2.3_SIDE[1].jpg (312KB, 900x544px) Image search: [Google]
16_FUJI_SPORTIF_2.3_SIDE[1].jpg
312KB, 900x544px
So, I'm completely new to cycling and I agreed to go on a 150 mile ride later this summer with a friend. First off I need a bike, as mine is shit. This Fuji was recommended to me by my local bike shop. Would this be a good option for what I'm doing?

Also is there anything else I should know before going on this long ass ride? Once the weather is warmer I'll try to build up to riding longer distances. And the padded bike shorts are pretty much a must right? Any other advice you guys could give would be great. Thanks.
>>
>>928849
How many dolarydoos?
>>
>>928850

For the bike? Or what is my spending limit? They said $720 for the bike, and my limit would probably be around $900 if it would be worth it. I'd rather not buy second hand.
>>
>>928851
>I'd rather not buy second hand.
A bike is literally the best thing to buy second hand.
Any wear can be easily seen .
>>
>>928852

Unless you're absolutely clueless about bikes, which OP is.
>>
>>928851
Why would you not get http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1190013_-1___000000
>>
>>928849
Why wait for the weather to get warmer? As long as you're not riding through snow, winter is the best time to ride
>>
>>928862
It is still pretty snowy where I live and I don't like the cold.
>>
>>928849
150 miles in one day? That's pretty ambitious for someone whose never ridden a bike before to achieve in one season.

Anyway you want a "sportive" or endurance style road bike, which pretty much all entry level road bikes from most major manufacturers are. That Fuji looks fine, otherwise look at similar bikes from other big names like Giant Defy, Trek 1.x, etc. If you're buying new there's no reason NOT to shop around as much as you can, and definitely ask to test ride a bike before even considering buying it. If you have no idea about bikes I would strongly recommend you buy a bike from whichever local bike shop you like most and NOT online, if you have no idea about bikes then having a couple free services, a good warranty and also being on your local mechanic's good side is absolutely inevitable.
>>
>>928852
Agree. But I see how a novice would feel confident buying from a lbs for their first real bike. They are seeking knowledge, and may not have a friend to help them. On top of that, the sport of cycling can be so confusing and niche.
>>
>>928919
1 mile a day. Every other day. My grandma does more than that kiddo.
>>
>>928849
That Fuji should be fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
What kind of conditions are we talking here? Pure road riding? Some off-roading/ gravel? Mainly shitty backroads and gravel?

Buying secondhand is also a really good idea with bikes as >>928852 said.
The main thing you want with a touring bike is a strong frame/ wheels, long chainstays (no one wants to be hitting their heels for 150 miles), and reliability (this is why some tourers prefer bar-end and downtube shifters).

Post your local CL and we'll see if we can find something to suit you.

A lot of people tour on bikes that cost a lot less than $900. You'd probably be fine on a used rigid 90s mountain bike if you knew what you were doing.
>>
>>928932
>long chainstays (no one wants to be hitting their heels for 150 miles)
I spoke with the guy who sold me my panniers and he said this is basically a non-issue that everyone thinks is going to be a huge problem but is never actually a problem in real life

He seems to know a lot about panniers but obviously I'm just an anonymous guy on the internet repetaing what I've been told

However, everything that guy told me has turned out to be right, so there's that
>>
>>928944
It's not a problem on MOST bikes.
I do own a Trek 1000 (from around ~2000) that had too short of chainstays. Let me tell you, the problem was very real with that bike.
It's not a huge issue that be a main factor in picking a frame, but it shouldn't be ignored (even if it seems like a useless precaution).

But hey, I'm just an anonymous guy on the internet as well, and I really doubt OP will have that problem on the Fuji he's thinking about getting.
>>
>>928925
literally what are you talking about
>>
>>928951
I'm willing to bet he read "150 miles in one day" as "150 miles in one year".
1 mile every other day for 300 days 150 miles.
>>
>>928952

It's 150 miles over 2 days, so about 75 miles a day. I'm not in bad shape by any means. I just want to make sure that I don't get sore as shit doing this. So I want to make sure I have a solid bike choice and anything else.
>>
>>928932

The ride is all road, so no gravel or shitty roads really. At least as far as I know.

I guess I'm not completely opposed to buying secondhand, but like others have pointed out, I don't really know what I'm looking for since I'm new at this. Here's my local CL though, I took a look but didn't find much

wausau.craigslist.org
>>
Get one of these bikes:
Salsa Vaya (probably the first/best choice)
Surly Crosscheck (very similar to above)
Surly Straggler (same as above but disc brakes)
Surly Long Haul Trucker (if you will be carrying a heavy load)
Salsa Fargo (if your ride involves singletrack/mountain bike trails or really rough terrain)
>>
Get a brooks b17 or flyer.
>>
>>928966

Whats your height and inseam?
>>
>>928966

http://wausau.craigslist.org/bik/5467961487.html
>>
The main thing with riding long distances is you. Any bike will do as long as it's reliable.
>>
>>928994
Fuck no. Brooks are shit. Ignore this anon, OP.
>>
Don't listen to most of these trash suggestions.

>>928997

Yes, have a bike shop inspect your current bike and work on any potential issues if you're dying to spend some cash. Buy tires, something low pressure will be nicer to your keyster.

>>928994
You have to put at least a thousand miles on a leather saddle before its nice to you, you're not going to do that before this ride. Mid-range saddle will do you nice with bib shorts.

Buy a nice saddle, bike shorts and a pair of shoes with a stiff sole, tune up your current ride. Your existing bike can't be that bad unless it doesn't exactly fit you or it was made by a Chinamen. You'll appreciate a nicer bike even more once you have the strength to actually shred it.
>>
>>928998
fuck off
>>
>>929000
nice get, but this is wrong, my selle anatomica was comfy from day 1

but bib shorts are a given, I'm surprised we're even arguing about this. it's like people think the choices are either/or.
>>
>>928996
This anon is pretty on top of it.
It looks like that Tricross is the best option in your area.
>>
>>928932
>(no one wants to be hitting their heels for 150 miles)

150 mi does not call for loaded panniers.
>>
>>929042
>loaded panniers.
Is there an unloaded pannier? Just say "panniers."
>>
>>929049
But 'loaded panniers' sounds moar hardcoor edge

Touring fags have become the most insufferable shitheads in cycling, I think
>>
>>929042
150 miles does not also call for a touring bike, in that case.
I gave him advice on buying a good frame for touring, but (as I mentioned) he really doesn't even need a dedicated touring frame for just two days.
Regardless, if he has the option between two bikes that are exactly the same apart from one having longer chainstays, he should go for the longer chainstays.
If we're just going for what he absolutely needs then this MTB would be enough to not break down.
http://wausau.craigslist.org/bik/5459924047.html

>>929050
I don't think tourers in general are that bad, but the pretentious ones that think you need to tour 2,000+ miles on a $1,000+ bike to be considered a tourer are pretty insufferable.
>>
>>929038
Agreed. Fellow wisconsinite here. If you could make it down to madison or over to LAX you might be able to expand your search a bit more tho. There is really no reason to buy new.

You have a bit of time and in our area the type of bike you are looking for might not go on the market until later in the year. After it warms up people start selling more stuff.

I was able to pickup a pickup a 2007 full carbon full ultegra trek madone in Madison for just $750 a few years ago. If you're patient youll be able to find good deals.

Doing the MS150 by any chance?
>>
>>929042
First trip means he's going to over prepare, or they may be stopping more often or it might be a trial run for something longer.

If this is a one time event, he might be able rent a bike. If he wants something that can convert to daily commute including grocery trips or a multi day trip, road touring makes more sense.

@op, so what do you think you want?
>>
>>929018

My bad, I didn't count for the multitude of stories online and first hand accounts of breaking in leather saddles meant anything. This guy was good from day one, listen to him.
>>
i work at a local cycling shop so ima also weigh in. something very important is the fit of a bike. consider paying the extra and getting a fitting done. some places might offer this free with the bike. doing a ride that big with little experience you want the bike to be conformable as can be and a fitting will play a major part in this. but also like others have stated you want a sportive/endurance bike as they have slightly more relaxed frames.
>>
>>929107
and ofc some fucking good bib shorts!
>>
Whats a good bike to get if I'm going to be primarily commuting to work and the bar? I also wan't the option to attach racks and tour. Is there a bike like this for an $800 dollar budget?
>>
>>929122
>$800 for a bike good for touring
not if you buy new

Get a Salsa Vaya. If you don't like it for whatever reason, Surly Crosscheck or Surly Straggler. Those three will be your best options.
>>
>>929018
This guy is an idiot. There is literally no reason to use a leather saddle unless you want to be a retrogrouch hipster stuck in 1900.
>>
>>929124
whatever you say faggot, apparently you enjoy getting literally ass raped, which is why I am calling you a faggot. not that there is anything wrong with faggots but I am not one, thus why I do not take pleasure in getting a plastic dildo rammed up my ass. I started off with a "modern" saddle that everyone said was comfortable and great for long distances. I suffered with it for about 800 miles before realizing everyone else was stupid and I should just get something that doesn't want to literally ass rape me and give me 6 new saddle sores with every ride. the leather fixed the problem instantly.

op, do not listen to anyone who tells you to get an uncomfortable plastic ass hatchet. saddles aren't brakes, they aren't brifters, they aren't cyclocomputers. they are a direct interface with your ass and there is a reason people go for leather when it comes to things that interface with your body. "muh technology" is fine when it objectively makes things better, but abandon ship when anyone tells you that leather is somehow bad/retrogrouch/obsolete.
>>
>>928992
Underrated post.

I'm from negroland, so i guess how many dollars i need to trow to someone to get the crosscheck in my hands.
>>
>>929123
Three meme bikes in a row, impressive.
>>
>>929130

>leather saddle

Lol enjoy your two pound, 150 dollar saddle that you will never ever be able to ride on in the rain. But hey, at least it looks "cool" to some people(read: hipster douchebags.)
>>
File: 41783_main-01.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41783_main-01.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1173890_-1___000000
>>
>>929172
You clearly have no actual experience with leather saddles. You can ride them in the rain just fine. If you're really paranoid about a few drops of water destroying your saddle, which it won't, just use the cover that came with the saddle, or a plastic bag.

If you leave it out and it gets soaked through, it'll be fine if you let it naturally air dry. The problem is if you try to dry it with a blowdryer or something, or if you ride it while it's soaked.

And I'm not sure how 520g = 2lb but I guess you have some kind of unique conversion system.

>>929018
Yeah. My new Swallow was fine for a 120 mile ride the day I mounted it. I think that the problem a lot of people have is that they mount the saddle on the nose pointing parallel to the ground, making the area that they actually sit on point downwards. So they put a lot of effort into not sliding forward, and the saddle is uncomfortable until fully broken in. If you point the nose up a bit, it's a lot more comfortable, even though it may look like it will will destroy your entire scranus in one painful stroke.

I think that's why the Selle SMP saddle has its nose pointing downwards, as when you have the saddle adjusted properly, the nose is more or less flat.
>>
>>929189
>b190
>4.1lb
>>
>>929190
Oh, right, christ, that fucking monstrosity. I was thinking B17. Then again, for the fat fucks the B190 is made for, having a few extra pounds on the bike will make fuckall difference. Fucking christ.
>>
>>929000
>put at least a thousand miles on a leather saddle

That's bullshit. A leather saddle is comfy from the getgo, it just gets comfier.
>>
>>929184

whoa, half price
>>
>>929172
you don't ride in the rain anyway, so what do you care? enjoy your space age carbon matrix 2.0 saddle that gives you rectal trauma but it doesn't matter because you go 2 weeks between rides so you have time to heal.
>>
Leather salad shill all up ITT
>>
>>929073

Yeah, I'm doing the MS150. I know I'll probably be overpaying a lot compared to buying used, but I think I'd still prefer my first purchase at least to be a new bike. I'd also like one sooner rather than later and that is ordered to fit me. I'm mainly worried about comfort for this ride.

>>929075
There will be frequent stops I've heard, but at least some of the people I'm going with are pretty hardcore bike people. it's not like they'll be racing, but I'd like to stay with the group.

>>929000
My existing bike is terrible. It's like 20 years old. The shifters don't work anymore, the spokes are broken in some spots and the tires don't hold air for long. Paint is coming off the frame too. I don't think it's worth fixing when I can afford to just buy a new bike.
>>
>>929288
I thought it might be the MS150. I've ridden that a couple times before myself and I'll be in it again this year. There are plenty of rest stops and you most certainly do not need and pannier/rack setup since the ride is fully supported.

I bought new on my first bike as well so I understand that feel; just make sure to look for a service warranty. The bike you initially posted will work great for that ride. As others have suggested here, a bike fit, padded shorts, a saddle fit, and clipless pedals are all worth consideration. However, you can definitely get away without the upgraded saddle and clipless if you'd just rather not spend the money. Your LBS can help you pick things out.

Most important thing is probably to get some good saddle time in prior to the ride. You're doing the right thing by jumping on the training early. Good luck anon, ill see ya out there.
>>
>>928849
buy it, performance bike will give you 1 year of maintenance for free. They will make any adjustments, true your wheels, etc.

They always have great deals. I would pull the trigger. I bought a Fuji from them, and since put like over 6K miles on it
>>
>>929238

I do 3+ week tours in the rainy northwest, gutter trash. I love seeing morons like you who buy into leather saddle hype try to get on my level, and watch their overpriced pieces of shit fall apart after the fourth consecutive day of rain.
>>
File: lamo.gif (266KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
lamo.gif
266KB, 500x281px
>>929308
sure you do, bruh, sure you do
>>
>>928852
>>928856
This
>>
>>928849
Make sure you eqquip them with Schwalbe Lugano tyres or better and keet em at AT LEAST 7,5 bar/
>>
>>929362
>schwalbe shilling intensifies
redditskins or GTFO
>>
>>929366
*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps?
Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to.
Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards...
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.