[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wasn't sure where to ask, but does anyone have any recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

Wasn't sure where to ask, but does anyone have any recommendations on a knee brace? Specifically for cycling. My knees were shot before I ever cycled regularly and sometimes they're sore after a long ride.
>>
>>1099442
Guess I should mention that a lot of them I've tried have bunched up behind the knees or slipped as I ride and start to sweat
>>
Have you ever had a proper bike fit done ?
>>
>>1099448
Started off with the seat relatively low because of previous knee injuries. The aches got better so over the last couple of years I've brought it up to a proper height to get full extension on my legs and then I just played with handlebar orientation from there.
But no, in answer to your question.
>>
>>1099442
see a PT, you probably have a strength imbalance, fit issue, or flexibility issue. possibly some combo of those
>>
>>1099452
Muscle imbalance for sure, I skated longboards for years for distance and never switched my pushing leg. My right calf is absolutely shredded. A PT said I have arthritis, but that same pt also missed some major health issues in my daughter so I don't know how good that guy was. My quads are more uniform in size now so it's starting to get better on that front.
>>
File: a4UDn_d.jpg (126KB, 640x906px) Image search: [Google]
a4UDn_d.jpg
126KB, 640x906px
>>1099452
This. See a PT. I crashed on the highway once and landed on my left knee. I went to see a PT and after 4 months I'm like new.
>>
>>1099457
>That image

Wtf man

Anyways does anyone have any recommendations on a good brace for cycling? Something that won't bunch up and gives good support
>>
>>1099462
No
Go see a PT
>>
>>1099442

It could be and most iikely is/was trigger points. Knots in your muscle fibers make certain fibers too tight and refer pain elsewhere. In the case of knee pain, that usually occurs from referred trigger points in your calf muscles.

See:
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/
https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759

PDF:
http://bookfi.net/dl/1193296/f4e98a
>>
File: OP.jpg (128KB, 625x563px) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
128KB, 625x563px
>>1099442
>My knees were shot

How long is a long ride for you?,Lenght and climbing distance?
>>
>>1099442
/BRT/ here, (bike racing and training);

OP, the LAST thing you need is a knee brace.

What you DO need are two things:

1. Get your bike adjusted PROPERLY for you by someone who knows what the hell they're doing. It's more than just the saddle height. Also get clipless pedals if you can so your foot is always in the correct position on the pedal.

2. You need some weight-bearing exercise to help condition the cartilege in your knees. Start with WALKING. Work your way up to jogging and running. In the Fall/Winter get into the gym and do some leg press (don't bother with meme exercises like squats, they're not necessary). DO NOT PUSH YOUR PROGRESS IN THE GYM TOO QUICKLY, BE CONSERVATIVE ABOUT IT! #1 mistake newbies make.
>>
>>1099451
You should start there.
>>
>>1099451
>brought it up to a proper height to get full extension on my legs
I'll bet you're HYPER EXTENDING your knees and that's why you're having problems. You want no less than a 30 degree knee angle. As I said above: get your bike adjusted for you properly by someone who knows what they're doing, you're injuring yourself.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.