[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are downtube shifters worth using anymore? I found a potential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: dts.jpg (140KB, 1600x1059px) Image search: [Google]
dts.jpg
140KB, 1600x1059px
Are downtube shifters worth using anymore?

I found a potential bike but it has downtube shifters. Since I've never used them before, I'm not sure if I should just look for a different bike.
>>
File: 1489039650813.jpg (140KB, 741x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1489039650813.jpg
140KB, 741x1050px
Yeah, if:
a) You're a retrogrouch
b) You need to frequently disassemble your bike for easy transport
c) You're super bored and like inconveniencing yourself because your other bike has Di2 and you enjoy blogging about going back to basics to an audience of nobody
d) You're going to go on a tour where the itinerary includes Aleppo, yak herding in Mongolia, and fighting gigganiggas on Mars, places where even the slightest risk of barcons or STI grenading is not acceptable and you absolutely must have the simplest and most reliable method of changing gears that there is.

Otherwise, make like a loli and get STI
>>
>>1098303
>I found a potential bike but it has downtube shifters
that is maybe a minor mark against the bike, but not a big deal
if you like the bike then buy it, if not don't
downtube shifters are a bit inconvenient but they are simple and reliable
if you're mainly focused on transport, i'd recommend barcons over anything
but for more performance oriented riding, brifters are really pretty nice
also note that it usually isn't too hard to go from downtube shifters to barcons
>>
You can just add STI shifters you know.
>>
>suicide shifters
>>
>>1098303
The only objectively solid reason to use them over STI is mechanical simplicity, but barcons or thumbies will have the same advantage and put the shifters in a much better place so...

I like them for aesthetic reasons; they keep the cockpit on something like a rando bike really clean for example.
>>
>>1098325
Not if it's <8 speeds. And I'm willing to bet if it came with DT shifters it's probably a 5
>>
>>1098325
That's good to know

>>1098341
It's 10 speed

I should note that this would be for touring mostly.
>>
>>1098347
>It's 10 speed
so 2 in the front an 5 in the back? That's a 5sp in modern terms.
>>
>>1098354
3 front
10 back
>>
File: Nukeproof Trixer.png (3MB, 2012x1208px) Image search: [Google]
Nukeproof Trixer.png
3MB, 2012x1208px
>>1098313
you forgot about, having an integrated Trixer hydraulic detangler in a dirt jump bike with full transmission, preventing that the cable of the shifter also do not interfere in barspins and taiwhips bruh
>>
File: z-baby-raccoon-1-1.jpg (16KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
z-baby-raccoon-1-1.jpg
16KB, 300x400px
>>1098360
thougt it p much went without saying senpai
>>
The first bike I got a year ago had them. They're a bit finnicky and I much prefer STI shifters on the bike I've got now, but it's hardly something to not buy a bike over
>>
>>1098313
How do you transport your bike if STIs are a problem but brake levers aren't?
>>
>>1098303
>Are downtube shifters worth using anymore?

Heh, it depends.

If they're not indexed and if you have a 10 speed cassette just forget it, it'll be a nightmare.

If you're intending to shift gear frequetly because there is lots of hills where you are it'll be a bit of a hassle.

Also forget about down shifting before a stop to have quicker start, upshifting for pedaling out of the saddle for a few seconds and then down shifting when back in the saddle... that kind of things.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (82KB, 980x1606px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
82KB, 980x1606px
>>1098372
DTs are ideal for rinko bikes, which are meant to be assembled and disassembled in minutes and packed small.
>>1098375
git gud like Sean Kelly did and learn how to shift with your knee.
>>
They take a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of them they're a blast. I love going through several gears with one swoop. They're also ridiculously simple so they'll work forever
>>
>>1098303
I have two dts, one indexed, one friction. It is like fucking your Aunt. I do it twice a month on the weekend.
>>
>>1098303

Are they worth buying standalone and installing on a new bike? Certainly not, sti shifters are clearly superior ergonomically. But there are lots of perfectly good used bikes with downtube shifters that are a much better and even cheaper buys than entry level modern bikes. I tried a friend 1970's something Takara(japanese brand) road bike and it was shocking how good it was all things considered even though it had downtube shifters. You just learn to cope with shifting less as a result of the shifter being out of the way.
>>
>>1098303
It shouldn't be a deal breaker to have a bike with downtube shifters, you'll get used to them within 10 rides
>>
>>1098356
Whoa, and it has DT shifters? Sounds posh!
>>
>>1098313
>Otherwise, make like a loli and get STI
I'm betting you're a french pedophile according to this bad choice of verb. Get cancer.
Also I use tube shifters, it's okay, and simple to repair.
>>
>>1098341
microshift make shimano comparable 7 speed sti
>>
Bar-end shifters are GOAT

STI = pussy boy playskool shifters

Downtube = you're claiming to be practical but using slightly more cable to put them on your bar ends is GOAT like I said

If it's a travel bike that splits in half then DT is acceptable and very sexy solution

Oh yeah and fuck DT shifters on 60cm frames. holy shit it's like reaching down to tie your shoes at 20mph
>>
>>1098556
>calling me french
you FUCKER
>>
>>1098303

Properly positioned downtube shifters are almost as easy to use as integrated shifters, and easier than normal barcons on aerobars when riding from the hoods.

But that's the catch. On most bikes, the DT braze-ons are going to be positioned wrong for your reach. Clamp-ons are fine but usually only found on shitty cheap frames.
>>
>>1098596
Is it possible to tell from a photo or does it vary too much from person to person?
>>
I'm think of changing from handlebar stem friction shifters on my 70s 10-speed to downtube shifters.

I think the original bike came with stem shifters but I really liked the downtube shifters I had on my old bike until it was stolen.
>>
>>1098341
both my bikes with DTs index for 6 and 7 rear cogs, respectively. 5-rear ("ten-speeds") went out in the early 80s, but DT shifting was still normal until at least the mid-90s.
>>
>>1098375
>Also forget about down shifting before a stop to have quicker start,

uh, wut? I do that every ride, every stop.

also, if you ride hands-free, you can still shift DTs with your feet
>>
>>1098583
>Oh yeah and fuck DT shifters on 60cm frames. holy shit it's like reaching down to tie your shoes at 20mph

63cm frame here. I dunno what you're talking about, but I suspect you need to git gud
>>
>>1098597

it's not really worth worrying about.
A lot of dudes rode a lot more miles than you will in your life using DT shifters. You will be OK.
>>
>>1098601
just slap the shifters with your dick imo
>>
Yes. I prefer downtube friction shifters for commuting/adventuring/cruising around. Indexed brifters are nice for GOTTA GO FAST rides.
>>
>>1098338
>retard
>>1098371
Finnicky? They're much less finnicky than modern shifters.
>>1098375
When do bikes ever have downtube shifters and 10 speed cassettes? Sure, someone's probably made a frankenbike like that, but you won't come across that often at all.
>>
>>1098651
It'll be to run a mtb triple
>>
>>1098303
yeah they're still good if non-indexed it's super low maintence

no batteries to charge, no wires to maintain.

no random wifi signals that jam your SRAM wireless

no gunked up 20 year old shimao shifters
>>
>>1098651
>When do bikes ever have downtube shifters and 10 speed cassettes?
juste read the thread anon : >>1098356
>>
>>1098651
mine weren't indexed, so they were a bit finnicky
that wasn't a problem once I got used to what point got me into what gear though
>>
the only reason I'm personally using downtube shifters right now is because my bike is too small and I'm saving up for a new bike instead of getting STI
>>
File: gevenalle-audax.jpg (218KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
gevenalle-audax.jpg
218KB, 720x960px
>>1098303
>Are downtube shifters worth using anymore?
Of course they are.

My only indexed setup is my 1x10 mountain bike. And it's good, but off-topic.

All of my geared road bikes have friction shifters. (Except for my singlespeed, obviously.)

My touring bike has a pair of pic related, and I love them in my 3x9 setup. For some reason, people love seeing these out in the wild. Apparently everyone has seen them online, and they're curious to feel them/try them out. I always get positive impressions.

A lot of people who have never tried friction shifters on a bike with "many gears" (>=8 spd) will tell you "it's a nightmare". It isn't, and I have no problem finding the gear I want.

For the record, most of my bikes are 61cm or 62cm, and it isn't a particular effort to reach down and shift either.
>>
>>1098776
>that pic
That looks pretty cool
>>
>>1098303
I liked my lever shifters a lot, although mine were mounted to the stem. They are simple and basically maintenance free.
>>
>>1098776
>Hey I heard you needed some integrated shifters, son!
>>
>>1098628
same
>>
>>1098798
>mounted to the stem.

>>1098776
>pic related

OP here, the fact that you can just shove them seemingly anywhere is extremely cool to me.
>>
>>1098830
Oh, and something that I'm confused about. I hear you can easliy switch between indexed and friction on some shifters. Is that very common? How do you do it?
>>
>>1098338
Downtube friction shifters aren't suicide shifters, stem shifters or toptube shifters are, tho.
>>
>>1098776
>A lot of people who have never tried friction shifters on a bike with "many gears" (>=8 spd) will tell you "it's a nightmare". It isn't, and I have no problem finding the gear I want.

Can confirm. My city bike has a 10 speed cassette and friction shifters, it's incredibly smooth and easy to find a gear. I feel like it's easier to friction shift a 10 speed than a 5 speed, for sure.
>>
>>1098831
A lil dial on the top of the rear shifter. See pic related.
>>
>>1098303
>sweet ass steel frame
>double plate lugged fork crown
>fatty gum walls
>hammered fenders
>smooth action downtube shifters
>rando rack
and then
>a fucking ziptie

at least it's a black one, so as not to degrade so much in the sunlight.
>>
File: lance half STI.jpg (67KB, 577x670px) Image search: [Google]
lance half STI.jpg
67KB, 577x670px
Obviously the answer is half STI half downtube
>>
File: 1492288031644.png (126KB, 800x769px) Image search: [Google]
1492288031644.png
126KB, 800x769px
>>1098776
Those look fucking cool
>>
>>1098776
price on those ?
>>
File: IMG_20170810_213406_1.jpg (361KB, 1300x1507px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_213406_1.jpg
361KB, 1300x1507px
I'm gonna put these on my World Tourist once I get a new groupset for it.
>>
>>1099156
Way too much for what they are.
>>
you can like hold a piece of food or a drink and the bars in one hand then reach down and shift front and rear with the other hand, sti, you gotta switch hands

downtube 1
sti 0
>>
>x10 dt doesn't have a friction mode

fuck you shimano i thought we were freinds
>>
>>1099191
Jus
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.