[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is pic related even a thing, when steel wheels on steel rails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: memeloop.png (199KB, 1200x761px) Image search: [Google]
memeloop.png
199KB, 1200x761px
Why is pic related even a thing, when steel wheels on steel rails is a proven technology, and there are at least like a dozen (decaying) rail corridors in the U.S. which could be upgraded?
>>
>>1097337
It's not a thing and never will be.
>>
What part of it's in a vacuum so it's frictionless and can go faster do you not understand?
>>
>>1097344
That's not how it works. For fuck's sake, they just tested it in the desert and they were literally unable to get it up to the 250 mph speed they were targeting.
>>
I don't see how its supposed to be the fifth form of transport when it is just a train in a tube
>>
>>1097367
Okay, why don't you explain it to me Mr. PhD
>>
>>1097370
I literally just did you dumb fucking cunt. It was tested in a vacuum tube and they couldn't get it to go the expected 250 mph.
>>
>>1097344
> frictionless

I've got some bad news for you.
>>
>>1097376
I'm not him, but maglev in vacuum is indeed frictionless, m80.
>>
>>1097380
Except it's not a vacuum tube. It's a near-vacuum.
>>
File: akchully.png (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
akchully.png
19KB, 200x200px
>>1097385
Quantum mechanics tells us that there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum. Whenever neurotypicals refer to vacuum they mean something that is so near vacuum as for the difference to be insignificant in the context. It is the same thing when people say frictionless. Even in a very near perfect vacuum fluid dynamics will be a bigger force than surface friction. When someone says frictionless they obviously mean infinitesimal friction and getting all ackchullly.bmp on them only exposes your sorry condition.

I'm sorry about the 'tism.
>>
>>1097337
wheel on rails mean friction and higher maintenance cost see jr central's reason for maglev
>>
>>1097390
It's not near-as-makes-no-difference a vacuum. There is a fair amount of air in the tube. It's just very low pressure.

The fact that you can't understand the high school level science involved here reflects poorly on you.

>>1097393
This is a gross overgeneralization.
>>
File: Autism.jpg (935KB, 2530x759px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.jpg
935KB, 2530x759px
>>1097414
>There is a fair amount of air in the tube. It's just very low pressure.
*** BREAKING NEWS VACUUM CLEANERS NOT ACKCHYUALLY VACUUM JUST VERY LOW PRESSURE READ ALL ABOUT IT WATCH THE NINE OCLOCK NEWS *** BREAKING NEWS VACUUM CLEANERS NOT ACKCHYUALLY VACUUM JUST VERY LOW PRESSURE READ ALL ABOUT IT WATCH THE NINE OCLOCK NEWS *** BREAKING NEWS VACUUM CLEANERS NOT ACKCHYUALLY VACUUM JUST VERY LOW PRESSURE READ ALL ABOUT IT WATCH THE NINE OCLOCK NEWS *** BREAKING NEWS VACUUM CLEANERS NOT ACKCHYUALLY VACUUM JUST VERY LOW PRESSURE READ ALL ABOUT IT WATCH THE NINE OCLOCK NEWS *** BREAKING NEWS VACUUM CLEANERS NOT ACKCHYUALLY VACUUM JUST VERY LOW PRESSURE READ ALL ABOUT IT WATCH THE NINE OCLOCK NEWS ***
>>
>>1097416
Nigger, you're illiterate as fuck. The systems hyperloop companies are testing and designing in the near term are not vacuum and are not faster than existing HSR technologies.

Get over it or blow your brains out.
>>
>>1097416
You are demonstrating orders of magnitude more autism than anyone else in this thread. Your lack of basic self-awareness is, however, completely unsurprising.
>>
>>1097417
>The systems hyperloop companies are testing and designing in the near term are not vacuum and are not faster than existing HSR technologies.
I never said they were. Remember, this >>1097380 was my first post. I don't even care about hyberloob:DD and your poor, fumbling attempts at public transport. I do, however, care to point out to autist when they fail basic communication skills by not understanding context and nitpicking informal, non-textbook language.

Please, read the brochure.
>>
>>1097421
Cool. Now point to a maglev system in a vacuum tube. It doesn't exist except on paper.

Hypersonic commercial air travel is also physically possible. That doesn't mean it's real.
>>
>>1097421
>>1097429
So all you've done is talk about something that doesn't exist at all in the context of a thread about something that only exists in a test environment and doesn't even work as advertised.
>>
>>1097417
Er, of course, they are just testing it, it is like the technology development have been completed
>>
>>1097432
Oh really? The technology development has been completed?

Is that why it failed to achieve the targeted 250 mph and why it doesn't even come remotely close to the original spec put forth by Musk?

Sound really complete...
>>
>>1097432
>>1097440
I mean, it is like you want to imply the technological development have been completed
>>
>>1097429
>Cool. Now point to a maglev system in a vacuum tube. It doesn't exist except on paper.
Read the first post, nigger. It asks why hyberloob:DD is even a thing. You're given a few reasons why people think it might be a worthwhile endeavour. As in low wear. As in higher speeds. Nowhere was it claimed it has achieved that - yet. Nowhere in the original post was is stipulated that it had to.

It is a future promise, autism-kun. It is aspiring to be faster and lower maintenance than traditional rail. By operating a maglev in a vacuum .. sorry, that's "low pressure environment" for you turbo autists.
Yes, rail is a proven technology. Hyberloob:DD promises _improved_ technology. That's why it's a """thing""", as the question were. Me, I don't think it will take off. I don't think it will replace metros or passenger rail. But that's why it's drawing attention.
>>
>>1097449
>But that's why it's drawing attention.
It's drawing attention because leftists turned our education system into a means to funnel funds and most americans are completely scientifically illiterate beyond 'batteries contain electricity'.
>>
>>1097449
> whines about "autism"
> post in most autistic way possible

You're the poster child for why this board is such trash 99% of the time.
>>
>>1097453
To calrify and support my post:
Why is it that space elevators are advocated instead of actually viable solutions like space ramps and harp guns?
Why is it that electric vehicles and hybrids are advocated instead of actually viable solutions like extended range electric?
Why is it that radial solar farms are (were) advocated instead of actually viable solutions like parabolic trough salt loops?
Why is it that retarded eco regulations are advocated instead of actually viable solutions like regulating for ppm/mile instead of ppm/gallon?
>>
>>1097454
>reddit spacing
Dropped.
>>
>>1097461
>To calrify and support my post
You failed at that. Better luck arguing in the future! You can improve!
>>
>>1097465
The intent was to show that an improvement in technology and/or better solution isn't the reason that things are advocated by the mainstream.
People are too stupid to do that. They advocate memes that they are told are better instead of doing so because they actually are better.
>>
>>1097466
>memes
You mean like 'hurr-durr muh leftism'?
>>1097461
Did Glenn Beck compile this list for you?
>>
>>1097429
>It doesn't exist except on paper.
They're doing tech demos. Cool, but not awe inspiring.
Once they've got most of the technology functioning, they need to build a proper demonstrator, showing that they can scale things up enough to be able to actually worth paying attention to.
Only after that do they get to try challenging rail and air traffic for real. Won't get the construction money and the actual land-use permissions without a demonstrator.

I think they'll run out of money before they get that far.
>>
>>1097468
>Did Glenn Beck compile this list for you?
No, a basic understanding of physics and engineering did.

>You mean like 'hurr-durr muh leftism'?
No. The fall of our education system can squarely be placed on education unions, mandatory union fees, and democrats having an intense perverse incentive to continue to expand funding and make it harder for shit teachers to be fired. +
Bad performanace? More money for schools, so more money for mandatory unions, so more money for the dnc.
Even worse performance? More money for schools, so more money for mandatory unions, so more money for the dnc.
Good performance? It was the money that did it. More money for schools, so more money for mandatory unions, so more money for the dnc.
>>
>>1097464
You're going to kill yourself within a week anyway. So this is all just a wash.
>>
>>1097473
>You're going to kill yourself within a week anyway.
Um, no sweetie, projection doesn't work that way. I'm sorry I hit your soft spot.
>>
>>1097477
Literally nothing you said in this entire thread has a single iota of value. Everything was semantical nonsense that has nothing to do with the thread or the board.

Again, you are a textbook example of why this board is terrible and needs to be merged.
>>
File: tears_delishious_tears.jpg (24KB, 388x330px) Image search: [Google]
tears_delishious_tears.jpg
24KB, 388x330px
>>1097483
>semantical nonsense
Says the nitpicking retard who went full ackchually on the definition of vacuum. Now, whine more about how you BTFO you are and how you want to take your toys and go home. Sorry darling, I don't believe chinkmoot will take your advice just please you.
>not a single iota of value
Oh, unlike hurr statism leftism muh alt right common sense redneck broscience. The ironing is stronk wit dis wone.
Don't let the door hit you on your way out!
>>
>>1097488
None of that was even remotely coherent.
>>
>>1097488
> Oh, unlike hurr statism leftism muh alt right common sense redneck broscience. The ironing is stronk wit dis wone.

Nigger, what the fuck does any of this even mean? That shit has nothing to do with anything anyone said in this god-awful piece of shit thread. You are straight up making things up in your head to argue about and nobody else has any idea what you're ranting on about.
>>
>>1097367
i guess the speed something can reach with a give acceleration depends on the length of acceleration... how long was the test tube?
>>
>>1097337
NEAT WAY TO BLOW PEOPLE UP ON LIVE TV
>>
>>1097495
Five hundred metres. That's just shy of a third of a mile for you septics.
Small wonder they didn't reach lightspeed in literally metres.
>>
>>1097513
did they even drive in vacuum or out at atmo yet?
>>
>>1097337
Because Musk is a cult.
>>
>>1097337
The prototype has wheels.
>>
This thread...
Required first read:
https://pedestrianobservations.com/2017/07/24/faster-than-conventional-rail-where-could-it-work/

>>1097367
> I don't know distance, velocity and acceleration

>>1097464
For me I like to put a space after quote and after paragraph <-- Here
What problem do you have others' formatting?
>>
>>1097779
>>1097337
Magnets on coil is also proven. See SkyTran for Inductrack in particular.
>>
File: 0bc69b4059fbf6c64ff36024cf01e404.jpg (253KB, 1504x1680px) Image search: [Google]
0bc69b4059fbf6c64ff36024cf01e404.jpg
253KB, 1504x1680px
>>1097471
>No, a basic understanding of physics and engineering did.
Using your basic understanding of physics and engineering, please explain to me why HARP guns and space ramps are more viable than an elevator for moving large amounts of mass into anything higher than low earth orbit?
>>
>>1097966
A ramp and harp gun aim only to reduce the mass of the payload necessary to get to orbit.
A ramp doesn't require meme materials, a boat, making sure aircraft fuck off, avoiding weather, or anything else. A ramp is static, and doesn't need orbiting ballast and can support itself.
A ramp or harpgun also aren't huge targets to eco-terrorists/muslisms.

Basically you're asking why a bridge is easier to build and keep standing than a tower.
>>
>>1097975
So, you want to build a ramp which is at least 400 miles high... without "meme materials". Please tell me more.
Also, "reduce mass of payload".... you must mean "reduce mass of fuel and vehicle necessary to lift payload"?
Sure, a HARP gun does reduce the mass total that needs to be lifted into orbit by cutting out propulsion system and fuel and most of the vehicle, but it also accelerates things at a rate which rules out many payload types.
The HARP program was abandoned for good reason...
>>
>>1097374
temper.. temper.
>>
>>1097779
They said they would get it to 250 mph on the test run. They couldn't even get it to 200 mph. This is not a problem of physics. It's an objective failure on their part.
>>
>>1097981
>400 miles high

That makes no sense. Low Earth orbit is way lower than that.
>>
File: space ramp.png (36KB, 1912x1076px) Image search: [Google]
space ramp.png
36KB, 1912x1076px
>>1097981
>So, you want to build a ramp which is at least 400 miles high
I don't. A space ramp is basically a bridge that either starts on a mountain, uses a coil loop, or a straight stretch of land, and ends in a ramp.
It only needs to support a couple hundred tons of force instead of a couple hundred thousand.
Going mach 10-20 with a rocket sled is much easier than building a space elevator. Not to mention that non-retarded (read: sensible and efficient) construction of a space elevator would require access to space to finish construction. So a space elevator require massive amounts of resources for the sake of a mild improvement.
Theoretically reasonably viable on a newly colonized planet, not so for earth.

>Also, "reduce mass of payload".... you must mean "reduce mass of fuel and vehicle necessary to lift payload"?
Yes.

>Sure, a HARP gun does reduce the mass total that needs to be lifted into orbit by cutting out propulsion system and fuel and most of the vehicle, but it also accelerates things at a rate which rules out many payload types.
Yes.

>The HARP program was abandoned for good reason...
Yes, but space howitzer...
>>
>>1097981
>>1098058
Plus, think about how much cooler the x-games could be if we went with the mountain option.

Also, the mountain option doesn't need to go to a ramp immediately, it can go into a coil or a straight stretch.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNZD6YF21lA
>>
>>1097343
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.