[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Without resorting to an emotional response, tell me why I should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: 41UwJsDNczL[1].jpg (19KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
41UwJsDNczL[1].jpg
19KB, 340x340px
Without resorting to an emotional response, tell me why I should stop for this if there are no cars around.
>>
>>1096375
on a bike, I mean
>>
>>1096375

Because every time you use your brakes and then re-accelerate you are doing something which will make you stronger and faster in the long-term.
>>
File: RR.jpg (291KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
RR.jpg
291KB, 1536x1152px
Because if a tree falls in the forest with nobody around to hear it, it still makes a sound.

Right?
>>
>>1096379
clever response
>>
>>1096381

It's just how I ride.
>>
Cars don't stop for them, why should you.
>>
>>1096375
I don't either. I also run red lights if there are no cars around because they won't switch unless I dismount and go press the pedestrian button and fuck that garbage.
>>
>>1096384
agree totally

I will say, though, that I do make sure I get the fuck out of the way of traffic when possible.
>>
>>1096375
Because you're a vehicle, if you pretend the rules of vehicles don't apply to you, we can just 'accidentally' kill you because we have the right of way.
>>
>>1096397
>we can just 'accidentally' kill you because we have the right of way

didn't realize you had the right of way to blow through a stop sign and hit someone on a bike because you were butthurt they didn't stop for a stop sign when nobody else was waiting at the intersection
>>
>>1096375
even if you don't see the law officer, one might still around and you could still receive a ticket.
>>
>>1096402
this would only happen under 2 scenarios:
- the cop is bored and looking to bust anyone for anything
- the cop is on a power trip
>>
>>1096406
certainly, and now that you know the possible consequences, you should decide whether the risk is acceptable or if the 10 seconds spent slowing down is worth avoiding that fate.
>>
>>1096408
slowing down is not stopping

some idiots want you to come to a complete stop on a bike even if no cars are around
>>
>>1096375
There's no goddamned good reason. Just make sure there's not a cop lurking somewhere and no traffic at all in the vicinity.
>>
>>1096417
>There's no goddamned good reason.
THIS

The only reason cars should stop is that if you're driving a car and blow through a stop sign, you might kill someone _else_, and that's rude.
If I blow through a stop sign on my bike, I'm only risking my _own_ life.
And if I'm willing to risk my own life, how much do you think I care about what Ricky Rules (>>1096397) has to say about it?

But this guy is also right:
>>1096379
>every time you use your brakes and then re-accelerate you are doing something which will make you stronger and faster
I'm not riding to work. I'm riding for exercise.
>>
>>1096400
>Why shouldn't I blow through stop signs?
because you're going to get run over by through traffic who don't need to check only react

>You also have a stop sign
Says who?
Also, people typically don't have reflective material on their side or the side of their bicycle.

>tl;dr
Just because you think there are no cars around doesn't mean that there aren't.
>>
>>1096375
Because i may be a stop sign nazi and may shoot you with my air rifle from any one of those hedges you just passed.

So stop at the sign. Kappiche?
>>
File: wP6R8gp.jpg (260KB, 757x1136px) Image search: [Google]
wP6R8gp.jpg
260KB, 757x1136px
>>1096430
>Kappiche?
>>
>>1096429
>because you're going to get run over by through traffic who don't need to check only react
Bikes don't have blind spots like cars. If for some reason I miss something, I'm the one getting killed. You also need to look out as a motorist, and I rutinely roll up to intersections and don't see drivers look at all, or just check one direction.
So, no, until full-time motorists hold up their end of the bargain first, I'm not taking all the risk and also losing all the potential privilege.

>Says who?
You either do, and you can stop since all you need to do is push your little foot down, while I need to either mash in a high gear if I suddenly had to stop, or shift back up from a lower one using my actual fucking body.
If you don't and you're there, why would I go fucking through, ya knob? That's not even OP's scenario.

>Also, people typically don't have reflective material on their side or the side of their bicycle.
And I see more cars without their lights on in the rain than on, even though lights on/wipers on is the State law.
I don't need to be reflective so drunk drivers can come follow me.
Eat me.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>1096438
>or just check one direction.
THIS SHIT FREAKS ME THE FUCK OUT
(and 90% of drivers do it)
>>
File: 1462568430331.jpg (525KB, 2048x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1462568430331.jpg
525KB, 2048x1157px
>>1096443
sorry for using that image.
I hope this one cancels out the bad vibes.
>>
>>1096443
They seriously cannot be bothered to TURN. THEIR. FUCKING. HEAD.
>>
>>1096447
I mean, to add to this, this is why I dont give a shit about what motorists think about stop signs. They'll be the first to squall about calling the police for their personal revenge force on cyclist who dont stop, under the guise of 'it the law durr durr' and yet when they come to the stop signs themselves, if they even do stop, they only do it to show they've done it. It's like they dont understand why a stop sign is even there. (For one, gives you time to check and they never check for anything or anyone, how could they, the way they stop) Same for people who use their signal, but do it last second. They dont understand why theu are required to do these things, only that they must do these things and that is child logic.
>>
>>1096384
that's called a 'dead red' and many states have dead red laws which allow exactly that. you still have to stop and obey right of way though. and the laws says wait 3 full minutes but im sure you'd know a lot quicker if its a dead red
>>
>>1096438
>>1096423
so it's not rude to traumatize a 16yo girl for life because you dont give a fuck about your own well being? thats like saying "if I kill myself in front of a crowd of children, theres nothing wrong with that because im only taking my OWN life!"
>>
>>1096563
Bikes do not have blind spots like car. It's a lot easier to be aware of your surroundings. (And in the rare case you miss something, the potential for damage is much lower conpared to a car) Cars simply arent bikes. Most road-using cyclist dont want the laws to be tge same, we didnt ask for them to be, that's just the result of lazy lawmakers.

Do not act as if we've advocating bombing a clearly full intersection.
>>
>>1096375
because you may not see the car coming with only a quick glance, and you don't have insurance to pay that poor buggers deductible which means he is stuck dishing out $500-1000 for your stupidity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs8VWWi8I7s
>>
>>1096590
No
>>
Only fat dads stop for traffic signs and lights. If a car runs a sign it can kill someone, if you run a sign then you're only endangering yourself. This is all a simulation anyways and pain is just a script so who cares? It's no ones business if you want to endanger yourself (just don't ruin some soccer moms day by making her scrape you off the windshield).
>>
>>1096577
you absolutely circumvented my question
>>
>>1096623
see my question here
>>1096563
its not just negatively impacting you
>>
>>1096375
if your life is so worthless that you take unnecessary risks by breaking traffic laws, then it is not worth inconveniencing someone else, like the guy who has to hose your blood off the hood of his car. go die alone somewhere preferably where your body will never be found .
>>
>>1096623
>hur property damage doesn't matter if it isn't my property
Kill yourself you statist.
>>
>>1096633
No, I fucking didnt. Youre think about it like a car, it's a bike. Your ability to judge is a whole lot better and in only the most extreme circumstance could you not see. (And in that event, it's likely not only you braeaking the law) Taking something to its logical extreme to go THERE IVE GOT YOU does not an argument win.
>>
>>1096662
still circumventing the original question. youre obviously not gonna answer it so I'll consider this 1-0 and propose another question. How can you say cyclists dont have blind spots when humans have a field of view of only 114 degrees? at any given moment cyclists have a blind spot of 246 degrees.
>>
>>1096679
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>1096659
Sad fat boy being dropped?
>>
>>1096380
where is this I want to ride there
>>
there might be a car you cant see
>>
>>1096375
In Denmark these signs are placed where its hard to tell if theres any cars around, so it actually makes sense to stop and proceed at low speed, since even if you think theres no cars around, you know (because of the sign) that you should be careful anyway.
>>
>>1096375
>Rule of law
The intent is that the laws should hold equally for everyone regardless of circumstance.

Humanity's incompetence at making sure to keep the books clean, combined with it's ability to generate 5000 more frigging cases to be codified for every one removed aside, you don't do it, because there is a law against it.

Even if it doesn't seem to make sense in your case, enough motherfuckers have caused enough damage by ignoring the law that most people can sleep peacefully at night giving up the right to thoughtlessly do what a law is put in place to restrict, and sleep even better knowing that woe betide the mother fucker that breaks it.

Not going to jump into a criticism of the merits of any implementation of a legal system.

If you'd like to continue ruminating on this topic, try a thread in /pol/.

Now gtfo, and if you run a stop sign again, may a pigeon irremovably jam itself in your spokes.
>>
>tfw based as fuck Idaho laws that let me treat stop signs as yield signs and red lights as stop signs as a cyclist
Also drivers don't want cyclists to follow the same rules as them. They don't want to sit behind us in lanes, it's better if we jump reds when safe and stay out of the way. No one in the god damned right mind wants to lose ROW to a cyclists at a stop sign by a few seconds, and then wait for them to mash their way across the intersection. It's better if the cyclist sees they'll win and just cruises through and saves everyone time. Drivers just get butt blasted we take shortcuts they can't (because it isn't safe) even though it's faster for them for us to do so, and they have a vehicle that can likely go over 100MPH. Obviously the shit you see in alley cat videos is stupid, but the average cyclist safely cruising through a stop sign or jumping a red is better for everyone.

>live in Virginia
>ride my BIG5 hybrid bike around with a milk carton ziptied to the rear rack
>live on Route 1 in Virginia
>give zero fucks and take the right lane
>there's this one intersection designed by Satan that has a one lane highway merge into this three lane cluster fuck of a road on one side and a busy road into a residential zone (the only one that can access it) on the other
>the intersection is at the bottom of a large hill
>cresting over the top of the hill I can see down both roads and what stage the light is on
>usually crest the hill at a little over 20MPH
>if the timing's right split the lanes of stopped traffic in front of me waiting at the light
>30MPH down the aisle
>shoot through the entirely empty intersection
>use momentum to make it up a hill on the other side without dropping below 20MPH
>drivers hate me
>literally just saved ten of them the gruelling experience of sitting behind me climbing up a hill from stop with a mil carton full of shit
Pic related, although it's steeper and I could see the road on the right from the top of the hill.
>>
File: cantstop.png (3MB, 1911x935px) Image search: [Google]
cantstop.png
3MB, 1911x935px
>>1101087
>tfw forgot pic
>>
>>1099922
I assumed this was the case everywhere
>>
>>1099900
Hardly. Nothing is distorting your vision.
>>
>>1096375
IF there are no cars or pedestrians around and you wouldn't be endangering yourself or others by running through the sign, the police would have a hard time prosecuting you in a court of law.

That's assuming they don't lie under oath though, or there's footage of the act.
>>
It's the law, idiot.
>>
>>1096375
>why I should stop for this if there are no cars around

For that pedestrian you didn't se.
>>
>>1101133
>IF there are no cars or pedestrians around
>the police

Thought you said there were no cars or pedestrians around? Cops don't count?
>>
>>1101087
>It's better if the cyclist sees they'll win and just cruises through and saves everyone time.

Until someone is turning right. Then we get another ghost bicycle.
>>
depends on where you are, if its a quiet neighborhood where the speed limits something like 20mph, go for it. If I do come to a stop sign, I usually slow down or just come to a rolling stop so I don't lose all my momentum
>>
>>1103650
I have seen thousands of gore/accident videos because I wanted to know the dangers of the real world. Now I'm almost paranoid and check every spot every time looking for cars or people, I don't want to become roadkill or killing some running child.

Following the traffic rules is an easy way to maybe survive a little more on the road. If I die, I don't want to die because I fucked up and went without stopping and looking carefully.
>>
>>1096423
>>1096438
>>1096577

You idiot children. Why do you think dogs in the road end up killing people? Not because a 30kg piece of fur means shit to a car, but because people's natural instinct is to swerve to avoid.

As amusing as it may be to imagine your overly-enlarged head bouncing off an undamaged windscreen, the reality is that accidents involving bikes hurt and kill other people as well.

If you want to ignore road traffic rules, go for it. But be under no illusion that you're risking other people's lives unnecessarily as you do.
>>
>>1103718
Absolutely right brother.

This tread ismselfish people trying to justify themselves!
>>
>>1096423
>If I blow through a stop sign on my bike, I'm only risking my _own_ life.
... or that of your fellow cyclist.

I saw two fixiefags blow the signs at a 4-way stop and take each other out. Both of them got pretty messed up.

I don't full on foot-down stop at stop signs, but I *do* slow down and look both ways.
>>
>>1103731
Or pedestrians. What worries me, though, is that cagers are starting to behave the same as cyclists and just blow stops because fuck it if they can do it so can we har har. Almost got mushed by a driver who screamed that at me when I yelled at him for blowing the stop.
>>
>>1096423
>I'm not riding to work. I'm riding for exercise.
Stopping is more exercise though. The only reason to run a stop is if you need to get somewhere on time.
>>
>>1096375
aggressive road-crossing could be construed as a violation of the NAP
>>
You shouldnt but you shpuld slow down and look both ways in every intersection. At least over here, retards make turns where they shouldnt all the goddamn time, i escaped being ran over by some braindead moron making an illegal turn or just straight up running the lights speeding more times than i can count.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.