[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

minipump vs co2 what do you use? why? pros/cons and on a personal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

minipump vs co2
what do you use? why? pros/cons

and on a personal level:
need one of those for my road bike now. size is important, thats why im curious
PS:im lazy at paint today
>>
>>1095458
Pump, a bit slower but doesn't run out. Also probably cheaper in the long run, depending on how often you get punctures.
>>
>>1095458

How do you not know that co2 is pretty much for racing Freds? If you don't race, don't fuck with co2. Bicycling Magazine even had a rare, startling article where one of their writers and his Fred friends even mentioned they don't know how to use their co2 pumps because they never tried them...
>>
>>1095485
im not so well infomed about freds.. just read about them here. i just see a lot of co2 stuff for sale and its cheap so i was just wondering as my old pump died.
>>
>>1095487

Fred = wannabe pro cyclist who will never be close to one

Co2 is not cheap. I think it is like $3 per cartridge or whatever the fuck at the local bike store. Freds buy it though because they race or pretend to and you will never fill a tire faster with a hand pump compared to a co2 pump.

What I do is I cycle with a hand pump and try to bring an extra tube, plus a small patch kit that uses real rubber cement(the sticker type patches are only temporary and I rather only fix it once) made by the British company Weldtite which I cannot find in the USA(I bought it in Patras, Greece). That way even if some awful reason I get 3 flats one one ride I could patch them.
>>
>>1095493
thanks for the input, yeah i do the same, now as my pump died and as i was seeing a lot of regulators+ co2 cartridge i got curious. a dude selles a regulator+3 cartriges for 15usd for instance. and as i have a foot pump at home, i would only use them in emergencies. but yeah, i think a good minipump is a best investment. thanks!
>>
I prefer co2 due to the size of a valve+couple cans vs a minipump. It's easier for me to fit in my saddlebag.
Dare i say it for fear of cursing it, but i rarely get punctures so the cost doesn't hurt me.

Not a big fan of the waste cans though, can always be recycled i suppose
>>
>>1095511
The thing is once you puncture a co2 cartridge that is it, it is all gonna be gone, so it one shot and done. So even if you just want to top off your tire a tiny bit because you didn't check before riding out, it would waste a whole cartridge.

>>1095518

Uhh, you mount bike pumps on the frame, which frees even more saddlebag room. I don't know how you can not have noticed that.
>>
>>1095520
>So even if you just want to top off your tire a tiny bit because you didn't check before riding out
Stop being an absent minded retard. Do you carry a full chest of tools in case you need to repack your hubs while on the road too?
>Uhh, you mount bike pumps on the frame
No thank you. I don't care much for the weight, the eyesore or rattle. Also, I'm not fucking waiting for you to pump up 8 bar with a tiny hand pump that barely gets half a decilitre of in per stroke - uncompressed. When halfway there you're figuratively filling the tyre half a teaspoon at a time.

And waiting around for you to find the pinch and vulc a patch first? Fuck that.
>>1095511
>listening to the nikki retard
You're being misled, son. Unless you're one of those people who keep getting punctures every other ride and might end up with several during one, a cartridge and old patched tube is the perfect safety net.
Assuming you like to get riding again and don't have a fetish for roadside mechanics.
>>
>>1095493
>$3 per cartridge
Are you buying gold plated co2 cartridges or what?

>>1095525
If your minipump takes ages to pump the tire or rattles when frame mounted you've gotten a shitty pump. Yeah it's not as fast as a co2 can but it won't run out and hardly even shows from between the frame, bottle cage and bottle. I prefer having a small frame mounted pump and a smaller saddle bag that only carries a spare tube, patches, tire boot, tire levers, multi tool and 20€. Also the weight difference between a quality minipump and a co2 regulator + 2 canisters isn't going to be much. Might even turn into the advantage of the pump.
>>
>>1095458
neither i carry an adapter for car pumps would just signal a driver or get to the nearest gas station if i got a flat.

fuck carrying all kinds of crap!
>>
>>1095525
>Do you carry a full chest of tools in case you need to repack your hubs while on the road too?

This is the type of retard that posts on 4chan's /n/...

>And waiting around for you to find the pinch and vulc a patch first? Fuck that.

Moron, I try to carry one tube and a tiny, light patch kit made by Weldtite, incase one tube just is not enough.

>>1095546
I did a quick Google search:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q5JUJQ/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b15OSr_c_x_5_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=61AXY2D7F908ZNHVJRS3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=e1e66d97-1ae4-5d32-9b53-a72c1686b1de&pf_rd_i=16062021

And:
https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Cartridges-6-Pack-Mole-Zap-Refills/dp/B00H9IFSH6/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1501539568&sr=1-3&keywords=co2+bike+cartridge

Both have 6 cartridges for $15 which is $2.50. The cheapest at Performance bike is $3.49:
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=co2+cartridge&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&storeId=10052&ddkey=http%3APBSearchTermAssociationsCmd

So I was pretty close without even looking it up. Do you even go outside, bro? Oh, I forgot when you are a Chengdu nerd, why subject yourself to the pollution?

>>1095548
I seriously hope you are trolling. Flagging down someone in a white asshole country willing to give you a ride or even stop would take far longer than just fixing it yourself.
>>
>>1095554
>This is the type of retard that posts on 4chan's /n/...
I propose to you then, seeing as the feeling is mutual, that you get the fuck out and then we wouldn't have to suffer you and you wouldn't have to suffer us. Win-win, no?
Oh, that's right. You got kicked out from that other place and have no-where to still your pathological need for attention and reinforcement. May I suggest a rope with a loop instead?
>>
>>1095554
>white asshole country
>white freds
>white chengdu pokemons
>wah-wah-wah
All this pent up racial anxiety. Let me tell you, people don't care about your color any more than your tripcode. The issue is that you're a fucking sperg. Plain and simple.
>>
I have co2 but I've never used it. I guess I'll try them out tonight.

On amazon you can get "mole zap" co2 cartridges, $15 for a 6 pack.
>>
ok, just used my co2. it was pretty easy. i don't want to attach a pump to my frame, so it'll work. this is the stuff i have

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Tool-Compatible-Cartridges/dp/B017KU1DIK/

https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Cartridges-6-Pack-Mole-Zap-Refills/dp/B00H9IFSH6/
>>
>>1095458
Just riding: Carry a pump, cheaper in the long run.
Racing: CO2 because it's lighter and faster.
>>
>>1095485
>I can't afford CO2 so I'll pretend only dentists riding $5000 bikes never faster than 15mph are the only ones who use them
Poorfags should just leave
>>
>>1095458
tires filled with CO2 deflate faster than those filled with air.
So even if you use CO2 in a pinch situation to get back on the road, you'll have to pump your tire soon anyhow.
>>
>>1095554
https://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/co2-cartridges-16g-threaded-box-of-10
https://www.ebay.com/p/20-X-16g-Threaded-Co2-Cartridges-Refills-for-Bike-Bicycle-Pump-Inflator/1879921093?iid=272780254002
Do you even know how to google?

I don't know why I even bother answering to this fag.
>>
>>1095458
CO2 is heavier than air, so it will make your bike heavier. Just say no!
>>
>>1095703
>not only drinking light water and eating isotopically pure food to save 5% on your body weight.
>>
File: zefal-rg01.png (107KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
zefal-rg01.png
107KB, 800x800px
Pic related is what I use. I've never used co2, but it seems a bit wasteful.

I've also never raced and I don't get the racing argument. If you have to stop to fix a flat, swap a tube or patch it, wouldn't you already have lost the race regardless of using a pump or co2? If you are pro, then you have a team car with a spare wheel and drafting benefits to get you back into the race, so you don't use the co2 anyway.

What am I missing?
>>
I commute, I've never raced, and I haven't carried a pump since the 90s

Flats are a rare event other than for beginner cyclists. I get them maybe every 2000 miles, or about every 4 months. I got a brick of CO2 from amazon a few years ago for like $30 and barely made a dent, at this rate I'll be retired before I'm needing more

You can do what makes you happy but if the cost of co2 is a real concern you should be worrying more about what the fuck you're doing to flat so often. Carrying a big ass mini pump strikes me as quaint
>>
File: bike_bianchi-mini-pump.jpg (116KB, 1280x865px) Image search: [Google]
bike_bianchi-mini-pump.jpg
116KB, 1280x865px
this pump is shorter than a water bottle and it comes with two plastic clips that attach between the frame and water bottle cage

I put plastic wrap around the pump to keep the inner mechanism from getting dirty.

I bought this Bianchi branded pump for about US$20; it works and matches my bike. A nicely machined Lezyne mini-pump is about US$40, the deluxe Silca Pocket Impero Pump is about US$120.
>>
>>1095774
>big ass mini pump
does not compute frankly
>>
>>1095670

Yeah you are right Co2 does lose air much quicker so you just fuck yourself in the long run:
http://www.velonews.com/2009/02/bikes-and-tech/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-large-molecules-and-short-frames_87175

>I put CO2 in a clincher tire with a Michelin butyl inner tube (latex tubes leak air quickly, as you’re probably aware). This particular tire and tube hold air pressure faithfully for weeks on one of my road bikes without needing pumping. And sure enough, within three days after inflating with CO2 to 90psi, the pressure had dropped to 45psi.

So since the co2 fags probably think they handled the flat incident on the road, I doubt they will remember when they go back home that they should deflate the effected tire and reinflate it with a floor pump. Heck, as Freds they probably don't even the consequences of bike industry hype of the more expensive solution as usual...
>>
>>1095813
Kill yourself, misfit.
>>
>>1095520
>>1095518
Yeah but that looks nasty af
>>
>>1095518
>Not a big fan of the waste cans though, can always be recycled i suppose

Recycling doesn't mean shit. Even if you recycling that is only a small portion of the waste generated by a given product. Everytime something is shipped by truck or ship, for one they pack it up in cardboard that will be thrown up and put this huge plastic saran like wrap over the cardboard. That will happen with the raw materials shipped to the factory that makes the cartridge and to the cartridges as they shipped from the manufacturer to the distributors, etc., etc.

>>1095818

My how threatened the anonfags are. Not to mention how bad they are at shitposting or posting anything worthwhile...
>>
>>1095823
Eaten any comfort meat lately, spaz? Threatened - I see your still doing your projection thing. Despising is not being scared.

Just end it! I know you can! Show what a big brave boy you are!
>>
>>1095825

It is funny how I contribute numerous ontopic posts to this and so many threads, while no life anon geeks write more off-topic posts whining about "namefags" like me than posting ontopic material. I have dabbled on /pol/ and they give zero shits there about people being "tripfags". I wonder why /n/erds are so insecure? It is like the existence of persistent online identities is a threat to your pathetic self identity... I wonder why?
>>
>>1095809
I think it might have been a shot at >>1095750 (me)
Admittedly that's the biggest "mini" pump I've seen, but I didn't mind having it sticking out of my jersey pocket for the peace of mind on longer rides. It's almost good enough to use as your only pump at home too.

>>1095783
I hate these types of contraptions. You'll be pumping so furiously that your max heart rate will be off the bike and you can only guess when the tire is hard enough. Most likely it will never be.

As a bonus I've seen people snap their presta valves when trying to pump too fast with that style of pump.
>>
>>1095832
>like me
No, just you. You're not wanted. That the other place couldn't stand to have you around even shadowbanned should clue you onto something, you cancerous cunt.
You can't even sage. Sad!
>>
>>1095835
>You'll be pumping so furiously that your max heart rate will be off the bike and you can only guess when the tire is hard enough. Most likely it will never be.
A gauge is a must for these pumps.

It's not really hard to pump your tyre well with these, it just takes an absolute shitton of time.
>>
>>1095832
>still putting up le facade
>still telling himself 'its all bc the trip'
>still pulling ye olde insecurity projection
Did your mom tell you your bullies were only feeling insecure? That they flushed you in the toilet because you "tore down their life lies"?
She lied. She was only trying to make you feel better. God knows why. And she failed. It would have been better if you stepped in front of a bus there and then. Imagine all the lonely years of rage and angst you wouldn't have had to suffer through.

It is not too late to correct the mistake, nikki. Cliffs and bridges are everywhere. You can do it!
>>
>>1095846
>urging an obviously mental ill person to commit suicide
I know this is 4chan and all, but I thought /n/ was better than this
>>
>>1095809
In order for a pump to be even reasonably effective it needs to be big enough where it's significantly bigger than an inflater and a cartridge or two. Who wants to carry that around every day?

>>1095835
Not a shot at you.

>>1095842
Carrying around a gauge too? Who are you people? You should be able to judge it by feel, it's an occasional emergency roadside repair, maybe one out of every 80-100 rides. You don't need to autistically inflate to within 3% of optimum balance of grip, suppleness, and rolling resistance. You just need enough of some sort of gaseous substance (air, co2, nitrous oxide, or whatever) to get you and your bike to where there's a floor pump which has a gauge, without getting a snakebite puncture along the way.

If you're flatting so often that getting the ideal PSI before you continue your ride is a legitimate concern and you're having to liquidate your Roth IRA to afford cartridges, I have to wonder what the fuck you're doing to your bikes. Maybe stop riding on those ridiculous weightless TT tires made of mosquito wings and get some memeskins or something.
>>
>>1095902
You ignore how shitty co2 loses air so fast and is only really meant for races. See:
>>1095813

How lazy are people like you? Is the effort of manually hand pumping a few times a year or less too much for your heart?

>>1095878
Actually /n/ seems to be worse than /pol/ and /b/ if you post with a persistent trip, it triggers all the ultra-basement dwellers here. I have no idea how these /n/erds can get so up in arms over people doing what is done everyone but shitchan: trying to post with a persistent identity. That nerd even stalked me on Reddit for years:
>>1095739
>>
>>1095905
Just because I don't want to ride past your shattered corpse under the GW Bridge on the way to work one morning doesn't mean I want you shitting up this board with your personal problems. Take it to /r9k/ or someplace like that if you need to vent.
>>
>>1095908

It is funny how nerds like you act big with anonymity. I wonder did you ever contribute a single offtopic contribution to /n/ or 4chan in your miserable life? Maybe you should try becoming a tripfag so we can see if you ever can contribute... Anyway it seems like you don't have a much of life, even virtually and instead will stick to cyber stalking me:

>>1095739
>>
>>1095911
Typo, I meant to write if you contributed a single ontopic contribution.
>>
>>1095911
I'm not that other poster, you really are insane aren't you.
>>
>>1095878
>>1095908
Relax. He's obviously manic and believes to be on top of the world, so it's not as if he actually would. He's way to high on himself. He's even fearlessly leading a glorious holy crusade against his chengdu windmills ... err, nerds.
Getting him to take his fucking lithium would be preferable, but getting him the fuck out of posting will have to do.
>>
minipump hands down
you have to buy a co2 thing every time, and plus once you inflate stuff with co2 its flat the next day. once you inflate it with an actual pump you're set. it's just more reliable and consistent. plus im not a fred
>>
>>1095902
>Carrying around a gauge too? Who are you people?
Too? All minipumps save for the shittiest ones have one tiny built in. You're trying to hard to shill your CO2 fredness.
I'm not a lycra-donning roadnigger with carefully planned trips that start and end in my mom's house. I need something I can rely on.
>>
>>1095493
>Co2 is not cheap. I think it is like $3 per cartridge or whatever the fuck at the local bike store
>>1095554
>Both have 6 cartridges for $15 which is $2.50. The cheapest at Performance bike is $3.49:

Get pic related and stop using threaded cartridges.

Walmart.com says $21 for 40 ($0.53 each):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-12-Gram-CO2-Powerlets-40ct/35234717

But my local Walmart wants $18 for 40 ($0.45 each).

BTW: Pumping is slow and cumbersome, but more importantly, it's awkward enough that I've damaged the shoulder of the valve stem trying to use a mini pump in the field.
>>
anyone tried one of these babies?
>>
>>1096025
>racism
>obsession with lycra and "freds"
You forgot your trip, nikki. Post disregarded.

>>1096036
I got one of those types of inflaters when I first switched to CO2 in the 90s and CO2 was kind of expensive. But these days a 30 pack of threaded is $30, that comes out to about $3 per year for me. And the threaded kind is a bit more compact.

But from what we learned from this thread is that (a) flats happen on nearly every ride, and (b) the anti-cartridge people think that the only time you EVER fill your tires is when they flat, and of course, that's with CO2 because you can't have both a floor pump and cartridges. So the obvious alternative is to ride around with a ridiculous hand pump and a gauge lashed to your rack with bungee cords. Fuck the floor pump, I bet they use those in races.

Explains a lot, I suppose. People who don't understand basic bicycle upkeep would assume that flats occur a lot when you're riding because, for them, that is what happens.
>>
Love how CO2 fags need to project.Buyer's remorse?
>b-b-but it's big
>b-b-but a pressure gauge is completely separate tool as big as the pump
>i'm such a sperg I can't even pump straight and end up ruining my bike but i'm going to lecture everyone on bike maintanenace anyways
>>
>>1096046
Yeah I've got serious buyer's remorse from my $12 inflater and $1 cartridges. That must seem like a lot of money if you work as the night clerk at a gas station in northern NJ.
>>
File: 1398935266784.jpg (268KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1398935266784.jpg
268KB, 800x533px
>>1096042
>flats happen on nearly every ride
I've found flats happen more often if my tires are old and worn.
I just did 335 miles on a camping trip with brand new tires. Not one flat.
>>
>>1096042
>racism
Oh common just because someone says nigger that doesnt mean theyre racist. Intent means something and this person was just using it in a humorous way. Offense is a learned behavior and teaching people to get outraged over certain words or trivial bullshit harms those people because it gives power to something arbitrary. But the truth is that in our culture today being offended is the national past time.
>>
>>1096060
>my incredibly offtopic garbage is not the problem, the problem is everyone getting offended over nothing
t. nikki

Now post again how people don't like you because we're all nerds and gamers
>>
>>1096061
Stop being a nigger and people will stop calling you one.
>>
>>1096060
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about being called racist especially after saying racist things

I can call you dumb, I can call you a jerk, I can call you illiterate or uncultured or lazy or a pervert and it won't provoke this automatic indignant outrage

But if you say something racist and I use the dreaded r-word I've suddenly violated some taboo. I'm the bad guy now because I described your behavior using the correct terminology

And I'm now the sensitive snowflake for saying this
>>
>>1096063
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about being called nigger especially after saying nigger things

I can call you dumb, I can call you a jerk, I can call you illiterate or uncultured or lazy or a pervert and it won't provoke this automatic indignant outrage

But if you say something nigger-ish and I use the dreaded n-word I've suddenly violated some taboo. I'm the bad guy now because I described your behavior using the correct terminology

And I'm now the sensitive snowflake for saying this
>>
>>1096042

Lol white nerd trapped in Bramaputa India's dirty river water, that was not me! Remember how I threatened I would post anon to trigger you guys to make rabid witch hunts though?

>>1095405

I don't really hate blacks that much, I really cannot stand whites more and especially so white internet nerds.
>>
>>1095458
pump. fits on my jersey pocket, doesn't run out.
No idea how to use a CO2 cartridge and I don't care to learn. I'd probably set them off accidentally and end up walking home.
pump = no bullshit, weights a bit more
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.