[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>lets start a bikeshare they said >it'll be great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: t3_6pduui.jpg (268KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6pduui.jpg
268KB, 2048x2048px
>lets start a bikeshare they said
>it'll be great they said
>everyone can use the bikes they said
>>
These things are doing so badly in China.

Bikes either getting stolen, or just littering everywhere so the police scoops them up and dumps them somewhere.
The Chinese tried to bring this to the UK and the first thing that happened is chavs threw them in the canal.

This business model clearly doesn't work and I don't know how they're making money off it.
>>
>>1093826
In China it is just a way to get people pay the initial deposit. After they get the initial deposit they can use those money to reinvest in anywhere that is more lucrative and risky, and if they can also attract lots of people to sign up for them then they could also attract venture capital which also can be used to invest elsewhere. If things worked out well then those companoes creator can become millionaires, or if something went wrong they can simply dissolve and bankrupt the company. Bikes? Who care about that?
>>
I live in Boston which uses some cunt company called hubway. The livemaps show all the bikes going to the city in the morning, then in the suburbs later at night.

I wake up and go to work, all the bikes are in the city

I come home late at night, no bikes in the city, all of them are in the suburbs. Fucking worthless.
>>
>>1093840
>>1093840
I imagine everyone just keeps one as their personal bike
>>
From my experience, these riders are the worst cyclists. I constantly see them weaving in and out of lanes, salmoning, and riding 2-3 abreast on the bike path while going 10mph.
>>
>>1093812
is there a batman statue in the batman park?
>>
>>1093850
To be fair, if you dont ride a bike past childhood, I think that kinda CitiBike design is shit for balancing.
>>
>>1093850
>seats constantly too low
>2/3/4?? abreast on trails
>riding against traffic the few times they're on the street
>terrible etiquette

im all about getting more people riding, but how the fuck are they so stupid
>>
>>1093892
We live in a country where bikes are literally in the childrens toys section and you're a failure at life if you dont start driving at 16/17. Most Americans haven't touched a bike sibce before their first pubic hair.
>>
>>1093897
well sure, but how have we gotten to this point where people don't even have the ability to critically think and solve a problem on their own?

"ow, this is uncomfortable, oh well, better keep riding and not adjust anything"
"what do you mean me and my family of 4 can't swerve all over the trail while you're riding?"
"on my left? oh! better move left!"

or like the other day i had a customer in my bike shop, their chain fell off the high gear in the back/chain suck, and they brought it in just so i could unhook the wheel (with a quick release, no less) and put the chain back on using not a single tool

It boggles my mind how some people are so helpless
>>
>>1093844
that's pretty cost effective. if anyone steals it what you lose? almost nothing.
>>
>>1093850
Most of these bikes have embedded electric generators so that the location reporting module and other sensors on the bike could be powered. In turn it further exhaust those seldom riders
>>
>>1093898
I mean, I dunno. Theyre retarded.
>>
>>1093812
What is this picture showing me?
>>
>>1093866
Yes
>>
That you Google? Hey you tried, perhaps if you weren't too busy reading everyone's email for shemale pron newsletters you could prevent people from ghost riding your bikes into waterways.
>>
>>1093932
Melbourne bike share program has bikes located in the rivers.
In Brisbane they're mostly used by Tourists, I used one for my first couple of years of riding before buying a road bike. Great bikes for conditioning yourself and getting stronger, don't bother anymore because I have my own bike. Biggest problem was that the bike stations were all in the inner suburbs where there was almost no decent parking so you'd have to either bus/train to the bikes or park and walk to them. There were always a lot around the train stations so of you needed to get from there to anywhere in the city you'd be golden.
>>
>live midway between city outskirts and city center
>take a bike share to get to work in city center
>all stations downtown fully occupied
>backtrack looking for an open space
>eventually bike back as far as your departed station
>by now it is fully occupied by bikes originating from city outskirts
>have to bike to city outskirts
>finally find an empty space
>get a call: youre fired for being late
>walk home
>go online buy a car
its a dumbass idea
>>
>>1093826
We have rental bikes in Stockholm, Sweden. They have an easily distinguished, fairly unique frame.

Didn't take long until I started seeing them painted black in the ghetto.
>>
>>1093905
my bike sharing program bills you 1200 if you lose or steal it. They have a 30 minute limit and have to be put in a special locking gate.
>>
>>1093826
This seems to be successful in Toronto, you need a credit card to rent them
>>
>>1094157
So every time you use one of those you are riding a 1200 bike. I don't see the purpose of this program
>>
>>1094157
Toronto is similar to this
I think you pay for a time though
>>
>>1094164
i think what anon meant is that most of these hubway/citibike/barclays things have not a 30 minute time limit but a 30 minute window where your ride is free
>>
>>1094100
Just park it in bike park and return afterwards
>>
>>1093812
im so glad that it works where i live, even though we also have a river here
>>
File: hood birb.jpg (98KB, 676x1200px)
hood birb.jpg
98KB, 676x1200px
I don't understand bike sharing at all, why not just buy a bicycle.

Then ride your bicycle around.
>>
>>1094213
Storing it in your apartment maybe an issue?
>>
>>1094213
It's a tourist thing more than anything, I think.
Get the fat fucks in white New Balences to tootle around the city.
>>
>>1094213
In my city a year pass for bike share costs less than replacing my chain, brake pads and cassette. Pretty liberating to ride to work in rain and snow and dock the share bike and leave my nice bikes for fun rides. Plus no carrying around locks and tools.
>>
>>1094163
>>1094157
Since you pay by the minute as you use it they obviously check out when they park for a longer time during work and are no longer responsible for it getting stolen.
>>
>>1094447
stop trying to steal bikes you nigger.

You are responsible for the bike for the entirety of the time you have it until its put back into its locking rack, the racks are spread out around the city like tiny shitty train stations if you get my drift. Driving it to work would be nice, but it's not allowed.

To be fair, its a cheap program 8.25 a month for unlimited use.
>>
>>1094225
Honestly this.
25€/month for a year pass is very nice, though it has a 30min time limit and then it starts to charging extra. Also bike lanes and paths everywhere.
>>
>>1093812
I'm pretty sure this image is O Bike. It's a bikeshare program that doesn't use kiosks.

You just park the bike wherever the hell you want.

Even here in Taiwan where people are generally respectful and disorder is more or less the norm, these things are seen as a public burden. I saw them playing a clip of O Bike on Taiwanese news a few days ago from London(?) where people were throwing that shit in the street, rivers, etc.

Basically, you need kiosks otherwise people are going to abuse the service.
>>
>>1094206
>finally pedal home
>return bike to base station
>your 10 hour rental comes to a total of $160
>could have bought a new gaspipe ots for each trip to-and-fro for the price of using their shitty system
garbage
>>
>>1094698
Why do you think this is the fucking point, retard?
Do you think Enterprise should close doors because it's cheaper to buy a car then rent forever? Kill yourself.
>>
>>1094700
do you even think? look, don't even bother answering that because i know that you don't think- the idiocy of your post did all but state so outright.

they're not meant for you to have to lock them to anything but the bike rental terminals or otherwise they'd come with locks. otherwise what's the point? you're not going to carry around your own lock just to park this thing anywhere other than the stations because at that point you might as well operate and lock up your own bike because you get the same amount of security except with the rental you're paying for it just to stand there.

now please delete your 4chan account
>>
>>1094721
They're meant for fats fucks/casual dipshits to have fun in the city/encourage new cyclist and nothing more. It's a money-making scheme.
If you can make it work to your advantage, cool, but, no, laughable to think it's an alternative to long-term owning a bike.
>>
>>1094100
why wouldn't you buy your own bike for commute?
>>
>>1094727
>it's a money-making scheme
see, your opinionpost doesn't exactly leave me convinced that it isn't instead a
>a non-profit organization maintained by a large amount of small membership fees whose primary goal is to reduce carbon emissions by way of simplifying bicycle commuting and transportation
>>
>>1094733
Yeah, dude, that's fine; whaddya want, a fat fucking New Balance family driving a couple blocks with their rental cars? Let 'em ride bikes. Worst care scenario; they'll discover a love of bike, worst case scenario; they'll rent a car next time.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.