[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best commuting bike (~$400USD) for you?? I like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1008600_2017_A_1_820.jpg (370KB, 3000x2454px) Image search: [Google]
1008600_2017_A_1_820.jpg
370KB, 3000x2454px
What is the best commuting bike (~$400USD) for you??

I like a Trek 820 for urban streets, which you prefer?
>>
>Trek
lol
>>
90s rigid MTB with slicks
>>
>>1093492
That fork stancion made from a concrete reinforcement rod.
>>
A cheaper version of this? 400$ is pretty low for a bicycle these days apparently. http://m.norco.com/bikes/city/urban/indie/indie-4/
>>
>>1093510
At my local bike shop they often have similar bikes with single speed for cheaper.
>>
File: singlespeed.jpg (70KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
singlespeed.jpg
70KB, 600x450px
>>1093511
Like this
>>
File: 820_rallybluesilver.jpg (68KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
820_rallybluesilver.jpg
68KB, 600x393px
>>1093492
My first non yard sale bike was a Trek 820, it was a pos with floppy wheels, garbage fork, and hi-ten steel frame
>>
>>1093492
Rusty old $100 fixie
>>
Specialized crossroads or similar 90s hybrid. 700c wheels with great clearance. All the eyelets for racks and fenders. Cromo. Cheap. You can buy and fix these up all for way less than your budget
>>
Steel 10 Speed
>>
>>1093492

calssic singlespeed full sus downhill bike
>>
an old, rusty road bike
>>
>>1094373

second this
>>
>>1094373
is this a meme
>>
"commuting" is a pretty vague term

1-4 miles it hardly matters at all
5-10 miles you want slicks
11+ miles you want drop bars

hills, you want a lot of gears
flat, a few gears is fine
short distances on flat, you can use a fixie

the meme about commuting is that it's short, flat, and you wear the same clothes on your bike that you wear at your job, and you lock up your shitter outside because you got a DUI and you live in some cager place

so I guess that means a used gaspipe fixie, preferably with no brakes. if you ride ANYTHING else it means you're a fred cosplaying like you think it's the tour de france
>>
>>1093492
A flat bar road bike with hub gears and platform pedals. Boardman make the best ones.
>>
File: gunnar.jpg (38KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
gunnar.jpg
38KB, 600x393px
>>1093492

$400 or less, go used, for sure. Also usually you will have to actually buy a bike see how you use it and only after that will you have in mind what you want in your next bike. For example, I know now that I wish my Gunnar Crosshairs cyclocross bike(see attached pic) that I use to commute, grocery shop had a hub generator and built in light and also that it could accommodate wider tires than 38 mm. I am mulling if I should pay to get the wheel rebuilt with a generator hub or just get a completely new bike.
>>
>>1094930
Get gone and stay gone, nikki. You were not missed.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.