/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>can bunny hop and manual on my BMX just fine >buy a drop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: bearly tears.jpg (171KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
bearly tears.jpg
171KB, 900x600px
>can bunny hop and manual on my BMX just fine
>buy a drop bar road bike
>can't wheelie it or do a proper bunny hop on it (can only do "english" hop) whatsoever

I didn't think it would be this hard

Is anybody good at hopping and such on road bikes? I need help
>>
Fuck.
>>
>>1092537
You're on your own m8
>>
File: kEhSaGk.jpg (99KB, 888x499px) Image search: [Google]
kEhSaGk.jpg
99KB, 888x499px
>>1092537
>can BMX on a BMX bike
>can't BMX on a road bike
>>
>>1092537

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjN2cjBKWO4

It can be done.
Keep a close eye on what they do with their center of gravity.
>>
File: steel not so real.jpg (335KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
steel not so real.jpg
335KB, 1920x1080px
>>1092583

Also, steelfags BTFO
>>
Road bikes are designed to stay on the ground.
BMX bikes are toys that you can play with however you want, but road bikes are for going fast.
>>
>>1092583
the trick is to lower your saddle
>>
>>1092583
>>1092589
I love how bike neophytes think this is a big deal, like, wow, he bunny hops on crabon and it doesn't shatter omg steel #btof

Did you really think crabon was that weak?

Now try attaching clamps and a touring rack to that frame and see what happens, hmm crabon #btfo
>>
>>1092646
>I love how bike neophytes think this is a big deal
frankly doing bmx crap with a roadbike is a big deal. the dude has mad skills.
>>
>>1092647
never said anything about his skills. if it's got nothing to do with the frame material then why are you getting so excited about the steel vs crabon "debate"
>>
Sometimes I'll go for it and even jump up a curb on my gaspipe beater, but almost as many times I'll succeed, I'll botch it. RIP rear wheel
>>
I kind of want to get a dropper post for my road bike now...
>>
Once you master it with a single speed Dutch utility bike, you can certainly do it with a roadie.
>>
>>1092650
i didn't even realize there was a steel vs carbon "debate" going on here
>>
>>1092583
well I'm not really aiming for that level because yeah obviously you need to slam the seat post to get that kind of elevation and then have 20 years of trials experience.

https://youtu.be/NHM6JtEdHp8?t=15

I was thinking more sagan mode, he's doing all this shit with a proper seat post height too.
>>
>>1092681
I didn't see any proper bunnyhops, those are all English hops. There's only so much you can do with the saddle in the way so you're not going to get much higher than a curb.
>>
>>1092681
you can do about 60cm drops with seatpost at proper height with a bit of luck and a good frame. you can definitely do jumping curbs too. you can do the wheelie and skids no question.
i keep my mtb configured to climbing, i never adjust the seatpost for downhill. but for some stuff you have to or risk fucking up your bike and yourself.
>>
>>1092694
yep bunny hop with seat high is not really working. you can't do the L with your ass seat is right in the way.
>>
>>1092681
>I was thinking more sagan mode, he's doing all this shit with a proper seat post height too.

Ah, yeah.

Basically you need to be strong enough to powerstroke while riding at the top of your cassette on a big ring.

Like, bunnyhopping is all about a quick movement of your center of gravity, right? Well, you can get the same effect with a smaller movement if you can do it faster and with more strength. If you can get the movement compact enough, you can do it saddled.
>>
Why would anyone need to bunnyhop roadbike?
>>
>>1092961
sidewalks and maybe bad holes in the road.
>>
>>1092961
It's fun, when you're getting around on a bmx you're boosting off speed humps, using curbs as little kickers and skidding out etc.

I just wanna imbibe my road riding with a little fun.
>>
>>1092967
When hopping road bikes it's all in the wrists. It was a huge adjustment from a mountain bike because the rear tire of the road bike wanted to stay on the ground. I practiced by doing nose stoppies to get used to the more effort hopping around. Then practiced hopping at speeds in empty parking lots. I obviously don't have the seat as high as I would on a dedicated road ride.
>>
>>1092961

Crash avoidance.
>>
>>1092961
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwP2MnDw28
>>
File: p4pb8860270[1].jpg (242KB, 534x800px) Image search: [Google]
p4pb8860270[1].jpg
242KB, 534x800px
>>1093095
yeah see that's the hop I want, it's like inbetween an "english bunny hop" and a "J-hop", soon as obviously you can't get the kind of leverage you need to pull the bike up to your waist with a full seat height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQSZaq6IWQ

everyone seems to hop from different spots too, sagan hops from the hoods, brumotti/ashton/akrigg/macaskill all seem to hop from the drops and this cyclocross dude seems to hop from the tops.
>>
on my road bike i bunny hop pot holes all the time, also go over small/medium speed bumps and on the big ones i hop a little so i just pop on top of it... i also hop concrete junctions and insignificant stuff all the time.. i dont look for altitude but i look for a smoth landing as i care about my freggin road bike and have a mtb beater and bmx to smash the shit out of it.
the idea is to have a smooth ride right?
pot holes at decent speed i try them not to be bigger than 40cm aprox wich is a small jump that can be landed good... i have never actually tried to gho over a curb.. the truth is that i have almost never needed that.. its a road bike.. i stay on the road lolololols.

i pull from the hoods always..thats the most difficult thing compared to the other bikes, getting real altitude from the front wheel..but again, for what i do it.. no need for more..maybe if it was a CX bike.. but fuck it. bmx i jump jump jump jump (and go slow) all day long. lolsolsolslsls

why am i posting this? who really cares.
>>
>>1093145
fucking hell! i can't even jump my mtb like that. need to practice more. i wonder if these guys developed their skill on bikes more suited for jumping and just adapted them to best they could to the constraints off roadbike geometry.
>>
>>1093095
Well thats not a bunnyhop exactly. He just lift his front wheel first and then rear. You can get over lot of obstacles with this technique and was my whole point. You dont need to get both wheels up at the same time to get over things. Obviously if you go full speed you dont have that much time if the obstacle is straight in front of you. Its just dumb try to jump on roadbike. If you case it, you can say goodbye to your rim.

Its also much easier to go around potholes than try to jump it at high speeds with bike geometry that dont jump well.

But what would i know? Im just a stupid mountain biker. Its still a good idea to learn it for emergencies tho. Just dont do it for fun and on a regular basis.
>>
>>1092537

What are you a retard? Don't do bmx tricks on road bikes, there is no reason. A bmx is small and has 20" wheels but a non-racing one will weigh closer to 30 lbs. Meanwhile even my very old steel Waterford 1200 road bike weighs 21 lbs and has 700c/29" wheels. You will trash a road bike wheel set fast if you do wheelies and bunny hops, manual off curbs, climb on curbs, etc. Simply put they are not built to handle the stress, the wheelseets are too big and light, while bmx wheels which are only 20" and heavy for their small size can take a massive beating. Unless you are made of money, don't.
>>
>>1093175
you forgot to add "stupid chinese chengdu chankid", also welcome back, you've just demoted sieg to second worst shitposter on /n/
>>
>>1093151
Also why are you finishing your sentences with "loslolsolsol"? It makes you seem really stupid.
>>
File: sagan off ground.jpg (391KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sagan off ground.jpg
391KB, 1280x720px
>>1093172
>Well thats not a bunnyhop exactly. He just lift his front wheel first and then rear.

that is literally how a bunny hop works, you pull the front wheel up then the rear.

>You dont need to get both wheels up at the same time to get over things.

no but he does in that, look, it'd be a good 12 inch bunny hop if he just did it without jumping onto the curb.

>>1093172

cyclocross wheels look like they can take it, I'll just get some of those.
>>
>>1093249
> it'd be a good 12 inch bunny hop if he just did it without jumping onto the curb.
More like half that.

>cyclocross wheels look like they can take it
It's not the rim that's the problem, it's the skinny tyres that end up transferring the impact of hitting the curb to the rim. Slap some 28s on a mountain bike rim and you'll have the same result, a pinch flat (if using tubes) and a dented rim.
>>
>>1093253
not from small hops like that
roadbikes go with what 5 bars?
>>
>>1093278
You're not supposed to always run the tyres at max pressure, not only does it vary based on your weight but you also want some compression for traction and shock absorption. If you're going at a decent speed and have your tyres properly inflated a hit on the sharp edge of a curb will probably fully compress a skinny tyre like a 28.
>>
>>1093279
but you don't hit the edge of the curb that's the point of a bunny hop.
>>
>>1093333
And we're talking about if you fail the hop.

> If you case it, you can say goodbye to your rim.
>cyclocross wheels look like they can take it
>>
>>1093341
>case it
i never heard that term before lol i get it
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.