[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't we using teleportation portals yet? We need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Teleportation-portal.jpg (141KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Teleportation-portal.jpg
141KB, 1200x630px
Why aren't we using teleportation portals yet? We need to stop wasting our efforts on stupid shit like autonomous cars and start working on actual efficient methods of transportation like teleportation portals
>>
Why use portals when you can sit back and enjoy some delicious cake?
>>
>>1092089
I think you've spent a bit too much time with the Companion Cube
>>
File: the-fly-2.jpg (1MB, 2000x1099px) Image search: [Google]
the-fly-2.jpg
1MB, 2000x1099px
I agree OP, it will change the world as we know it.

We are closer than you think! I will get back to you guys later!
>>
>>1092089
I don't want to die every time I go to work thx
>>
>>1092089
why teleport? in the cyberspace you could be anywhere any time even multiple places at the same time. simpler safer cheaper.
>>
>>1092089
**telefrags u**

nothin personnel, kid
>>
>>1092089
>looks like a big toilet bowl flushing mounted sideways.

It's all about appearances anon.
>>
The technology doesn't exist yet.

That is all.
>>
File: ChicagoStargate.jpg (142KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
ChicagoStargate.jpg
142KB, 640x512px
Not sure why they built one in Chicago. Who wants to go to Chicago, via stargate or otherwise?
>>
>>1092089
>Why aren't we using teleportation portals yet?
China is.

>businessinsider.com/teleportation-china-earth-orbit-quantum-internet-2017-7
>>
>>1092556
you do realize that quantum """teleportation"" is not actually teleportation right. nothing gets moved especially not faster than light except information maybe but it's difficult enough to check and prove it does as the proof would arrive with light speed.

one entangled pair gets to go up like any photon would the other is kept alive and they kept the entangled state. that's nice but it's not teleport nowhere near to moving particles or objects from one place to an other.

i would love a new internet that has no lag between continents for sure and so i'm excited about this. but it has fuck all to do with teleportation.
>>
>>1092652
oh and one more thing, normally it would take 13 minutes to receive a transmission from mars normally, which would make skyping with your relatives here very frustrating. but with entangled photon pairs projected to both direction from halfway you could in theory have zero lag comm between planets. the infrastructure is mad complicated tho the entangled state is fragile and all but who knows maybe one day it happens.
>>
>>1092089
If the portals collapse then no more transport smartass, and not to mention anyone stuck in the portals during their collapse would disintegrate.
>>
>>1092654
>mind blown
>>
>>1095052
i have to add the infrastructure is only mad complicated because the fucking planets move relative towards each other like crazy sometimes even the sun gets in between them which somewhat complicates this. relatively simple thing (with line of sight and equal distances).
>>
It's longer than you think, daddy.
>>
>>1092109
I think in real system a bigger problem might be creation of doppleganger.

Fail-safe system wouldn't destroy the original before complete copy, transmit, recreation a verification process would be complete.

This means there is a risk that the double is activated too fast before the original is taken down and both instances get to be fully conscious.
>>
>>1093287
This happens in one of the Hyperion sequels. Series is worth a read.
>>
>>1092089
>get killed by having all your atoms smashed to bits
>somewhere else, a clone of yours is manufactured

no thanks
>>
>>1092654
It's theoretically impossible to transmit meaningful data via quantum teleportation. You can only transmit random bits that carry no information.
New technology or a better understanding of the process can't change that.
>>
>>1095170
The doppelganger that is created must be absolutely identical for teleportation to work. And if it's identical, there is no way to figure out who the "real" you is. All you're doing is creating a new sapient human from scratch, then killing the old one.
>>
>>1095232
>You can only transmit random bits that carry no information.
that's retarded, if you can transmit a single bit you have transmitted information. if a channel is noisy we have spades in decades of research and math and techniques to deal with that.
saint shannon is rolling in his grave.

there is an unusual problem with quantum entanglement that in any experiment any change observed can only be verified in retrospect and control information always passes with speed of light. that's the real challenge in quantum comm. it's not that serious tho, you can't transmit any information, but you can chose to alter or not alter the quantum state on one end and this will be detectable on the other end.

now if someone just sends a single split photon it carries no discernible information on it's own that's true. but if you receive two photons and can compare their properties a match or a difference is basically a binary digit of information which will depend on that the second photon being altered (say in polarization) on the other side.
>>
>>1092109
>>1095170
>>1095234
that's a can of worms we should never open. if we have ftl com then virtual presence like fully submerging in an androids sensor array like in the surrogates (2009) movie is the best option to travel fast. it also sidesteps the moral dilemma of killing people.

dark matter series took it a step further they use clone bodies designed to break down eventually and you lose the memories of the clone if you don't get back to the pod to upload them.
>>
>>1092089
egyptian kangz keep trying to invade.
>>
>>1095952
>sensiblechuckle.mov4
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.