[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buy a bike with drop bars >never use the drops who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: I1GD0.gif (36KB, 736x403px) Image search: [Google]
I1GD0.gif
36KB, 736x403px
>buy a bike with drop bars
>never use the drops

who else knows this feel
>>
>>1090987
I mean, you're retarded, but kniw that the point of drops isnt just the drops, but the range of hand postions it can give you as opposed to flatbars' one.
I had a bike with suicide levers and almost never used the drops while I had it; just the flat and the hoods. The more ya ride, the more you'll appreciate hving the drops as an option, though.
>>
>>1090987
Look at a bike race. Modern fit means the drops are uncomfortable enough to never be used unless you're catching wind like there's no tomorrow, and even then they're using a faux TT position with the elbows on the tops if there's no one in front.

It's not the eighties any more. You're not supposed to use the drops except in the utmost extreme circumstances. The hoods should be low and forward enough that you're in an as aero position as bearable in the first place.
>>
>>1090987
It's called 'being a filthy casual'. To exit that status, work on it by actually using the drops.

>>1091000
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Either your bike isn't fitted properly, you're physically disabled, or you're just a gigantic pussy. In any case you're a filthy casual and clueless. Go fix your shit.
>>
>>1091007
>confirmed for not actually racing
>confirmed for not even watching bike races on tv
Forgot your trip there, Sieg?
>>
>>1091000
Plenty of pro riders ride on the drops for quite a long while during a race, not only on headwinds or sprints
>>
>>1090987
>who else knows this feel
Of not getting gud? All of us at one point; then we got gud.
>>
>>1091036
This.

If you don't ride much in the drops then your bars are too low.
>>
>>1091090
If you ride often in the drops then your bars aren't low enough. The drops are a compromise of comfort for aerodynamics.

Hoods are the primary position, drops are secondary.
>>
>>1091069
This. Used to be op until I actually just got the hang of using the drops and now even in climbs where I want to get up a short as fast as I can I use the drops for Best control and aero.
>>
>>1091092
I have to disagree. I run an Eddy Mercxx style set up. Hoods for uphill and flats comfy riding. Drops for aero race riding, bent elbows for extra aero.

Ride your bars your way. There is no standard or expected way to do your set up...the way the pros ride is not for us mere mortals. Their drop and reach is extreme and meant for uber flexible and complete racey feel
>>
>>1091092
Yeah, that's why they have always put the break levers where your hands are not supposed to be.

Drops for actual riding, tops for relaxing and climbing, hoods are the alternate position for taking a break and going slow.
>>
>>1091092

>The drops are a compromise of comfort for aerodynamics.

This is wrong.
If you can't ride comfortably in the drops indefinitely then either your fit is fucked or your body is.

That said, it seems like many racers intentionally fuck up their fit and put the bars too low in a bid to sacrifice comfort for short-term advantage. It doesn't really work for most of them though. They just end up riding on the hoods all the time.
>>
>>1091110
>Yeah, that's why they have always put the break levers where your hands are not supposed to be.
That's not what I said. Of course you're supposed to use the drops sometimes, and when you do you'll probably be going pretty damn fast so being able to use the breaks is a good fucking idea.

>tops for relaxing and climbing
>tops
>for climbing
Now I know for sure you're a damn idiot. You use the hoods for climbing, well you don't but everyone else who knows what they're doing does. Shit, there are hill climb specific bikes out there that the riders have cut the drops off of to save weight yet they leave the hoods on.

>>1091113
>If you can't ride comfortably in the drops indefinitely then either your fit is fucked or your body is.
> it seems like many racers intentionally fuck up their fit and put the bars too low in a bid to sacrifice comfort for short-term advantage.
>They just end up riding on the hoods all the time.
That's the idea you fucking dumbass. Drop bar bikes are designed to go fast and win races and to do that there are times when you need to be as aero as you can be and you'll sacrifice comfort for that short term advantage.
>>
>>1091119
>That's the idea you fucking dumbass. Drop bar bikes are designed to go fast and win races and to do that there are times when you need to be as aero as you can be and you'll sacrifice comfort for that short term advantage.

Drop bar bikes are designed for DRAFTING other riders for HOURS AT A TIME, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>1091095
>I have to disagree. I run an Eddy Mercxx style set up. Hoods for uphill and flats comfy riding. Drops for aero race riding, bent elbows for extra aero
That works a lot better in the context of 70s Italian frame geometry. A more aggressive American geometry was adopted around the time full-carbon frames became standard and the Merckx fit just don't work as well with the higher BB and more aggressive HT/ST angles.
>>
On the contrary, if you can't use the drops comfortably, your handlebars are too low.
>>
>>1090987
You should try them going downhill, OP
>>
start with the tops at saddle level or just an inch below. Drops should be comfortable. Then lower your bars gradually untill the point drops are no longer comfortable. Setup your bars just above that point. VoilĂ !
>>
>>1091120
obviously never been in a race you fucking idiot. if i'm drafting for hours at a time (which I have) then you stay on the hoods or go one hand on hoods to cover a brake, one hand on tops, but both hands in the drops should make you a bit lower and more uncomfortable. Then again, if you are a Fred as you are, you will be going to fucking slow you won't feel discomfort from the drops anyway.

Every time you're in a criterium coming out of a corner, how do you accelerate to keep in the pack? That's right, you sprint on the drops.
>>
>>1091159
Criterium aren't real races.
>>
I use drops only on downhills and when head wind especially strong.
>>
>>1091178
That must be why most if not all pro peloton bikes now use US/Crit geometry.
>>
>>1091131
If you could use the drops all the time with no discomfort, why would you have the tops and hoods, hm?
>>
>>1091249
Maybe US peletons, and US doesn't know shit.
>>
File: stage_6_tdf_2012_o-nev_5628.jpg (1MB, 1150x804px) Image search: [Google]
stage_6_tdf_2012_o-nev_5628.jpg
1MB, 1150x804px
>>1091254
It has spread to Europe too. Look at these NOOBS! They should git gud so they can stay in the drops. Filthy casuals.
>inb4 retards who cant into sarcasm
>>
>>1091159
>Every time you're in a criterium coming out of a corner, how do you accelerate to keep in the pack? That's right, you sprint on the drops.

That's not because of any aerodynamic advantage you might get. Lowering your CG makes you more stable through and out of the turn.

>but both hands in the drops should make you a bit lower and more uncomfortable.

Absolutely not.
Again, the issue you are having is with either your body or your fit. You lack flexibility and core strength, or your fit is wrong. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>1091269
If you require strength and flexibility for it, it can not be comfortable for extended periods.
>>
>>1091270

False.
>>
>>1091273
Comfortable - (of clothing, furniture, etc.) producing or affording physical comfort, support, or ease

Hmm
>>
>>1091269
>Again, the issue you are having is with either your body or your fit. You lack flexibility and core strength, or your fit is wrong. That's all there is to it.
Why don't you answer this question then: what would be the point of tops and hoods if drops could be ridden indefinitely?
The fit isn't """wrong""" if the drops are uncomfortable. The fit is, however, wrong if the drops are so comfortable that the hoods and tops are as comfortable and simply less aerodynamic. That's what a proper modern fit is - hoods for comfort, tops for relaxed, drops for short term boost in breakaways, sprints and wind at the expense of comfort.
If you are perfectly comfortable in the drops for extended periods of time you're throwing away massive aero gains.

As have been said repeatedly but obviously needs more repeating: fucking watch a bike race for once already!
>>
>>1091276
>>1091307
Yeah and as long as your core strength is good and you're flexible even massive amounts of saddle to bar drop can be run while staying comfortable.

What's the point of hoods if you can stay comfy on the drops all day you ask. Well the point is having multiple hand positions. When you're cruising along in the peloton or on a group ride and drafting other guys you can get up to the hoods for even more relaxed position and variety.
>>
>>1091000
>doesn't use drops so obviously never sprints, or worse: sprints with hands on HOODS (fucking casuals)
>doesn't use drops when descending, especially high speed technical descents, lowering center of gravity, which improves stability (or never descends at high speeds, LOL what a fag)
>never goes fast so need to cut drag by riding in the drops
>doesn't ride enough hours per ride to need more than 1 hand position on the bars
>doesn't have the flexibility and core strength to use the drops comfortably
>is such a poorfag he can't get a proper bike fit done so drops are comfortable even with shit flexibility and core strength
>is overall weak and physically unfit, needs to be as upright as possible when riding
>is so inexperienced a rider that he actually believes his own bullshit excuses are the truth

Show us your bike, faggot.
>>
>>1091318
>>1091337
Why don't you get a job coaching the world tour teams? Obviously they know nothing about cycling, riding on the hoods.
>>
>>1091349
Well I think they do that because they have to keep their heads up and be aware of other riders, riding in such dense packs.
For someone riding solo for exercise or transportation the drops are a useful position to have, however you may ride your bike in any way that you choose.
If you don't like drops maybe you should try bullhorn bars, or flat bars. Or shallow drops. Whatever floats your boat
>>
>>1091361
>drops are a useful position to have
That's not even up for debate. The question is if they should be so high up that they're a viable candidate for primary position, like they were in the Merckx days. Before the hood position evolved.
Some of you inbred neckbeards in here obviously believe so, or still riding bike boom OTS boat anchors and can't imagine anything but the Merckx fit.
>>
File: thorn.jpg (183KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
thorn.jpg
183KB, 800x531px
>>1091092
>If you ride often in the drops then your bars aren't low enough. The drops are a compromise of comfort for aerodynamics.
>Hoods are the primary position, drops are secondary.

That's roadie info. A lot of us aren't racing on our drop-bar bikes

On a touring/gravel/fuck around road bike, people jack their bars up for visibility and comfort on the hoods, moderate aero in the drops

Which is the best thing in the world. You should be using the tops and the drops.

Pic related. It's my bike. 3 bar positions. It fucking rules
>>
>>1091383
That's not what drops are for. If you want to use them that way then fine but there are plenty of better alternatives that still give you multiple hand positions.
>>
have you guys noticed how normies are intimidated by bikes with drops
>>
>>1091349
If your bike is set up properly for you specifically and you're not physically prevented in some way (lack of flexibility, lack of core strength, lack of arm/shoulder strength, etc) you should be able to ride with your hands properly in the drops for extended periods of time. Riding on the hoods or tops is a more comfortable position that gives your lower back a break, allows you to easily take a drink, see ahead of the pack, etc. but it's not the most efficient position from a performance perspective. Saying that 'nobody rides in the drops except in some extreme emergency' is just showing us how little you ride and how little you know about basic road bike handling. You mention watching pro road bike racing on TV, but it sure seems like that's the only place you're getting your information, and to make matters worse you're making assumptions, and they're incorrect assumptions.

tl,dr: You're talking out of your ass and should just shut up, every post you make is digging the hole you're in that much deeper, and you're already way over your head.

>>1091365
>continues to make a complete and utter fool of himself
>>
>>1091383
>troll bike
>>
>>1091383
>impersonating based Sheldon
Absolutely heretic
>>
>>1091392
>have you guys noticed how normies are intimidated by bikes with drops
That's why they sell road bikes with flat bars, for the Saturday-afternoon-only-when-the-weather-is-nice riders.
>>
>>1091383
>riding troll bike
>go into the drops to sprint
>give yourself a concussion when you bang your forehead on the flat bars sitting higher than the saddle
top kek
>>
actually just damaged my handlebars
considering using the opportunity to switch to bullhorns
>>
You shouldn't need your drops to go fast, use the hoods and just use the drops for downhills or sprints.
>>
>>1091491
Obvious fred detected, make sure you unload that pannier bag of yours before putting your bike in the shed!

Look at this race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdYo7CZS4IE

Not ONCE is anyone at the front of the pack on the drops. To that person earlier, if you feel super comfortable on the drops, you're probably going at 10mph and not flying at 35mph through a corner

Advantages of the drops
-Lower center of gravity
-More aero
-Protect your handlebar from getting caught in someone else's bars/elbow/shifter by covering the outside

i honestly think all of you have never gone more than 15mph
>>
>>1091493
* not on the drops *
>>
There are 2 kind of freds i like...

A.- With aero bikes with the handlebars as high as posible and/or a short stem.

B.- With a climbing bike with slammed stem etc... But never in the whole sunday morning using the drops.
>>
>>1091515
You can obviously add the two kinds in one... But then i dont know how it stars to make sense, especially if riding a gran fondo.
>>
>>1091392
??? no they're not, do you live in the netherlands? did you get beaten up by the local chads for having a bike with properly inflated tires? in most places a drop bar bike is just a normal bike.
>>1091493
this post is written like a 12 year old pretending to be an adult
>>
using the hoods or the drops is pure fred

if you were actually good you would ride like this for max aero
>>
If you want max aero buy a recumbent.

Fags in their drops are just pretending they're fast.
>>
I spend 500 or so hours a year training and racing, and I and everyone on my team use the drops about 25% of the time. Saying you NEVER use them is stupid.

The level and volume of pure unadulterated AUTISM in this thread is just too much, I'm out.
>>
>>1091553
t. cat 3 turbo fred who thinks his meme crits have any bearing on real cycling
>>
>>1091553
>Saying you NEVER use them is stupid.
I'll take Strawmen for 500, Alex!

So, why aren't you in the drops 100% rather than 25%? After all, they're as comfortable as hoods. /s
>>
I switch between all the time to stop my hands going tingly.
>>
>>1091493
>post crit
Nice "race" lol
>>
>>1091388
>That's not what drops are for. If you want to use them that way then fine but there are plenty of better alternatives that still give you multiple hand positions.

I wanna flame you but I'm honestly curious: You are saying drops are not for getting more aero than the hoods? What are they for?

Having high bars on your touring bike is GOAT. day after day long rides require some comfy high-bars. Your neck will suffer and you will hurt. Plus, gotta take in them views

>>1091403
Sheldon's touring bike = troll bike? More like, too fucking woke for the /n/ meme contingent

1 1/8 quill shoved down a threadless fork is GOAT
>>
>>1091627
* might be 1 1/4 quill
>>
>>1091627
>You are saying drops are not for getting more aero than the hoods? What are they for?
That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is they're for gotta-go-fast bikes. As I said there are plenty of better alternatives if you need multiple hand positions including ones that give you differing amounts of aeroness.
>>
>>1091627
Modern compact bars don't have much drop, and so the aero difference between riding on drops or hoods is not much. In fact, the science is in favour of drops, since having your forearms horizontal reduces drag.

They are mostly used for sprints, where they are a must, cornering, sometimes agressive short climbs but that depends on the rider.
>>
>>1091254
It's across the different companies in the different countries, not just America, and to do with the fact that American's pushed full-carbon bikes earlier than EU, so when the EU went to China to have their own full-carbon frames made, the factories were already making more aggressive US Crit geometry frames and the EU companies decided to just go with it too.
>>
File: hood birb.jpg (98KB, 676x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hood birb.jpg
98KB, 676x1200px
This is what the hoods are for
>>
Aero penis drops
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/07/20/enve-reintroduces-ses-aero-road-bar-with-new-cable-routing-adds-titanium-qr-skewers/
>>
>>1092549
>aerodynamic handlebar plugs
Enve is working hard to compete with Shimano, but they're going to have to step up their game even further if they want to achieve Adamas levels of AERO.
>>
>>1092568
forgot pic
>>
File: FOTOGRAMA-AIM-2-810x456.jpg (60KB, 810x456px) Image search: [Google]
FOTOGRAMA-AIM-2-810x456.jpg
60KB, 810x456px
i'm thinking about 2 things for my mtb:
1) short stem instead of the long i have now, with bar ends that extend forward to have the same climbing ability, but have better descent position
2) pic related, 3fstetch aim stem apparently sold around 220 euros
>>
>>1094683
That stem is just stupid on a mountain bike, the bars will end up way too low and far forward and if you're just gonna run it at the high and short position then just get a normal stem. The only use I can see for that is on a demo road bike so people can try out different fits, although ideally the drop and extension would be adjustable independently (have a pivot near the steerer).
>>
>>1094685
>the bars will end up way too low and far forward
have you ever tried climbing? there is no such thing as too far forward and too low.
>>
>>1094686
The climbing advantage wouldn't be worth the terrible handling on flat ground and down hill. Climbing with a short stem isn't that bad, a steep seat tube and a high saddle are far more important for getting your weight forwards.
>>
>>1094688
actually i find high saddle really gets in the way when the climb gets technical. one of the reasons i ordered a drop seatpost.i hope to use it in downhills and also very hard climbs.
>>
>>1094688
>Climbing with a short stem isn't that bad
my current problem is i don't have the endurance yet to compensate for the extra effort required by a short stem. but the long stem which allows me to extend my hands climbing unless it gets real steep and bad, really sucks ass for handling and downhill as you said.

i have an xc bike with long stem it climbs like a dream, but i like going down too. and it's a freaking nightmare to descend on it.
>>
>put track drops on road bike so i can only use super deep drops
git gud son
>>
>>1091553
>>1091491
>>1091349
Post your saddle-to-bar drop, faggots

Me: 8cm saddle to bar tops
+ 12.5cm handlebar drop = 20.5cm total drop

It's comfy af
>>
>>1091392
>"I don't want no racin bike"
>>
>>1094751
not them, 32cm drop from saddle to drops. Track bike. It's not comfortable and it's not meant to be
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.