[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you ride bicycles in city environments, and how do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 7

File: Threading-the-Needle-in-NYC.jpg (547KB, 1697x1131px) Image search: [Google]
Threading-the-Needle-in-NYC.jpg
547KB, 1697x1131px
How many of you ride bicycles in city environments, and how do you feel about passing?
Been a couple of times now, I've passed somebody and I hear some kinda negative sounding remarks from behind me. What's more annoying to you; to have someone pass you or to just kinda have them behind you forever?

(I know the answer is to not give a fuck and I'm 'autistic', but for my curiosity)
>>
If someone is riding faster than I am I don't care if they pass me
The problem is when they accelerate to pass you and then start riding slower, so you inevitably catch up to them, so they accelerate again, or pass you back as soon as you pass them, and so on. A lot of folks seem to feel like it's a race all the time.
>>
>>1086624
Alright; cause I'm far from the best cyclist in the world, I just happen to bike in a city where people wanna ride these heavy ass citibikes or beach cruisers. Like, I want to be nice, but me coasting is going to run up your ass compared to that.
>>
>>1086622
They are just butthurt that you are faster.
>>
File: IMG_0463.jpg (4MB, 5184x3888px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0463.jpg
4MB, 5184x3888px
>>1086622
just ride a townbike in town, people will respect you much more as you dont look like a typical cyclist cunt, and they are much more manoeuvrable.
>>
In my city/country there is this insane culture of 40+ year olds, especially those working finance, representing their company bike team on the road on the way to and from work. Every morning there is a race going on all over the city, on every major cycling commute trail, especially those leading to the areas with all the company HQs and such. Its gotten so ugly, other companies are now handing out water bottles and other promo garbage along the route at like 6.00-8.00 AM, and everyone now refers to this part of the morning commute as "tour de finance".

I really, really wish they would all just get swallowed by a sudden hole.
>>
Here's what I really hate.

>pass slow rider
>stop at red light because innacity
>slow rider ignores red light, or just stops half a meter in front of me
>I have to pass slow rider again

At times, this has repeated itself for multiple intersections.
>>
>>1086791
I dunno man, that sounds like some really fun thing to do - A bit of casual fredding around before a day at a shitty desk job? yes please.

>>1086800
Why aren't you rolling reds and stopping forward?
>>
>>1086802
Well, I hope you have 5 sets of rapha uniforms ready and like the smell of all the 50 year old very tan, conservative man children passing you while remarking your cadence and the length of your socks.
>>
>>1086814
sounds pretty cool
>>
>>1086802
>Why aren't you rolling reds and stopping forward?
Because I'm not a tremendous faggot.
Doing so either puts you in the crosswalk or in the area needed for left-turning cyclists - either of which makes you a nuisance.
>>
>>1086800
yes, this makes me pretty crazy also - almost as bad as the fucker that mashes his way in front of you on a fixie then slows down and no hands with his smart phone
>>
>>1086791
that sounds fucking horrible
>>
>>1086854
Probably posting to fagbook about how he just dropped a carbon Fred.. ... and that is just when they pass grannies on their shoppers!
>>
>>1086753
How is a heavier bike with flatbars more maneuverable? I've never really ran into any problems having to go off-road occasionally, or through some debris with pretty standard road tires.
I'm not riding long on a stupid bike.

>>1086791
That actually sounds kind of awesome, though.

>>1086853
Prevents you from being hooked by turning motorists who can't signal, and from being raged on by little dicked motorists who can't stand to be near a bike.
>>
>>1086622
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upu1pGM8lmc
dothis
>>
>>1086791
Sounds like Connecticut
>>
>>1086791
what? do you prefer a heavily traffic of old bastards slobs driving suvs/cars with high emissions of carbon dioxide exhaust and smell the shitty smog every morning?
>>
>>1087116
We have that too. Its really all the same to me now, I live and work in the same district and if I really want to go out riding on a particularly crowded time of day I bring the bike on the subway far into the forests.
>>
>>1086791
Where is this?
>>
>>1086791
Buddy, that sounds like fun
>>
>>1086800
My brother does this
ON FUCKING HIGHWAY RAMPS WHERE PEOPLE TEND TO DRIVE UP TO 150km/h
>>
>>1086791
Ride a beach cruiser drunk with a boombox on the cargo rack playing loud punk/heavy metal music and swerve dangerously at 5 mph.
>>
>>1086753
Wat een kutfiets
>>
>>1086990
there is not a single feeling more free and liberating than weaving in and around cars while on a bike, truly
>>
>>1087327

Oh well.
Make sure he wears a rear-facing body cam so you can collect.
>>
>>1086791

I want to go there and fucking DESTROY Colnagarello Masterprinces on a loaded rickshaw.
>>
i used to ride a little bmx all over toronto and people passed me all the time
i didn't care and never would imagine it's an issue
some people give a courtesy ding or an "on your left", which is kinda nice
>>
I almost compulsively HAVE to pass people i come across on the trails. Gets fun when they take the challenge and we have a little race
>>
>>1086990
This is why people hate bicyclists.
>>
ITT novice cyclists confuse passing, shoaling, and running lights

Get some manners and stop creating a hazard just because you think you're fast
>>
>>1087409
I totally agree. Swerving between traffic and running reds is so much fun. Especially in a city with enough traffic that no one ever get's above 15-20mph like London. It is a miracle I haven't been hit yet.
>>
File: tay is fed up with your shit.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tay is fed up with your shit.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>>1086791
>tour de finance
>>
>>1086791
I'm ok with this
>waah waah he has a nicer bike than me
Suck it up poorfag
>>
>>1086853
Stopping forward of the cars is actually safer, as is running a red if the coast is clear. Gives you a head start so you're already up to cruising speed when cars start surrounding you, unless you actually make it to the next lights before cagers catch up to you. Under the right conditions you can ride long stretches without passing or being passed by motorists, even in moderately heavy traffic.

I often break traffic laws for my own safety. They were written, let's not forget, by out of shape motorists who thinks bicycles are toys on which kids are to be run over by cars.
>>
>>1086622
>What's more annoying to you; to have someone pass you or to just kinda have them behind you forever?
the most annoying is the faggot touching my mirrors with his fagpack. other than that who cares?
>>
>>1086990
Man, they must be good at stealing bikes
>>
>>1087329
This anon knows whats up
>>
>>1087794
this and the fagsuits
>>
>>1086990
how the fuck do you do that without dying during the first hour?
>>
>>1087947
That reminds me. The other day a cager drove 2 blocks with his cage taking up half the bike lane. I passed him, he passed me, I passed him, he passed me. Gave me like 6 inches of clearance, stupid cager. There was plenty of room on the other side, I guess he was just being a dick? He wasn't honking or anything, not going too fast, but why do you have to pass so close man?

So at the next light instead of putting my foot on the ground, I just stayed clipped in and rested my hand on his rear view mirror. I know this drives you cagers wild with rage, you can basically murder us with impunity, but we can't touch you, that's forbidden!

Anyway he rolled down the window and I thought he was going to say something but he didn't. Light turned green, I turned and he went straight. I wonder if he's still mad about it.
>>
>>1088038
A cager will come within an inch of killing you, but actually fucking do it is you so much as look at their trash covered, taped window, shitpile of a car
>>
>>1088009
city traffic is an extremely predictable system that you can learn. In case of unpredictable occurrences you and everyone else have eyes
>>
https://youtu.be/i9UszG1Wk0A
>>
just ring your bell before you pass or call "on your left".
I understand that sometimes people react erratically but be prepared for it.
Don't need to be a dweeb and call all the time nor do you need to be a ninja passing everyone and scaring them.
>>
>>1088038
>cager drove 2 blocks with his cage taking up half the bike lane
yeah those faggots are annoying as hell it's like they are either blind or just plain ass stupid. i wish sometimes i had a beat up lada niva with a bullbar to teach them some manners.
>>
>>1088047
>In case of unpredictable occurrences you and everyone else have eyes

Except when they're looking at their phones. Or when you're in a truck's blind spot.
>>
>>1088038
>I just stayed clipped in and rested my hand on his rear view mirror
I always give bicycles space when I pass, but I will fucking tell off any spastic biker if they do this.
It's just downright disrespectful.
>>
>>1089639
>It's just downright disrespectful
and just what do you think the purpose of doing that was?
to bridge the cyclist-cager divide?
lol
>>
>>1089639
But what the issue here is the actual harm. Unless this nigga is some kinda mutant with acid hands; they aren't doing you any harm, it's basically symbolic. A cager will rage a possibly end someone's life over crossing a symbolic line; harmlessly touching their car, but cry foul and pretend not to under stant(best case scenario) when they do actual damage to cyclists with their shitty driving habits. Boo fucking hoo; kill yourself, ya little snowflake cuck
>>
>>1089643
>>1089645
Enjoy the refreshment provided from my sprinklers when I pass you, spandex spastics.
>>
>>1089646
>oh no I was touched by moisture
I ride in the rain and snow, I sometimes hit filthy puddles and the dirt water gets on my shins. why would you think a few drops from your wiper fluid would bother me?

this is the cager mentality, completely isolated from the world, and deathly afraid of the most trivial things, even someone's thumb touching the paint on his car
>>
>>1089646
See >>1089647
Unless it's sybolic wankery; and even if it is, fuck off.
No real harm is being done; especially when real harm is being done the other way 'round
>>
>>1088214
the point is gridlock.

Filtering in grid lock is legal in a lot of countries, even with motorcycles. Every bike is one less car and eases traffic in cities. When they were going in reverse (being huge dicks) the cars were all stopped with nowhere to go. In a city, lights tend to just go in the same order forever since everything is queued all the time, so if that lane just turned red, it will be red for a while. They're just biking between parked cars trapped in heavy traffic. The fastest truck was going maybe 15 mph in that video. It doesnt matter if he's on his phone or they are in his blind spot, bikes would be nimble enough to react to such slow moving vehicles. Im not arguing its safe, they get door'd at the end of the video and Im sure there's a few dumb asses that got dragged twenty feet under a semi trucks left wheel- But- that video is a showoff piece. You can filter more safely in gridlock than those fools.
>>
>>1089639
>downright disrespectful

cry more, lol
>>
>>1086791
>Tour de Finance
Seems really comfy
>>
>>1087416
>"on your left"
wtf? are you supposed to stay on your left? or to watch out for someone coming on your left?
that would confuse the shit out of me desu
>>
>>1087794
haters gonna hate
>>
>>1091901
Then youre a retard. You dont give orders in traffic unless youre a cop, so anon is obviously making his position known. If youre on the left side of the road/lane youre fucked anyway. Either bong or uncompetent.

learn2traffik
>>
File: 1498582050180.gif (2MB, 216x150px) Image search: [Google]
1498582050180.gif
2MB, 216x150px
>pass some dried up cunt at the bikepath
>stop at the red light
>she catches up solid 30 seconds after me
>stops IN FRONT OF ME so she's first at the fucking redlight
>have to pass her again
>she does THE SAME FUCKING THING at the next red light
I once got in a fight for this. Jesus fucking christ why do people do this shit.
>>
>>1091981
>Jesus fucking christ why do people do this shit.

People don't.
Shoalers aren't even remotely worthy of being called human. They're not even worthy of being called insects.
>>
>>1086791
>tour de finance
fuckin lol'd.
t. work in finance
>>
>>1091981
i was out riding yesterday and some lady was walking on the right side of the path the whole time i was approaching and i figured i could just ride past her on the left without saying anything

as im approaching her she just starts moving to the left for who knows what fucking reason, so i yell "on your left" about 20 feet behind her. she stops and turns around and looks at me as i pass her with like a foot of space

why do people do this, just stay on the right side of the path, there is no reason to swerve back and forth when you're walking
>>
>>1092239
I have the same problem just walking around.

>walk fast
>coming up on some slow fucker
>they're all over the damn sidewalk
>see an opening and take it
>they inevitably start to walk into me as I'm passing them
>shoulder check 'em
>they get startled as all fuck

People are bad at walking around in general

>coming up on a group walking towards me
>everyone looking down at their cell phones
>no room to pass
>stay on the far right, lift up my elbow, and brace for impact
>walk right through the poor, blind fucker unlucky enough to be in my path

I'm nicer to women though

>woman looking down at her cell phone
>walking right towards me
>I stop walking and stand perfectly still
>she walks right into me
>wow
>>
File: pepe glasses.jpg (197KB, 800x705px) Image search: [Google]
pepe glasses.jpg
197KB, 800x705px
>>1092248
> made physical contact with a woman
w-what did she feel like?
>>
File: supreme.png (4KB, 383x132px) Image search: [Google]
supreme.png
4KB, 383x132px
>>1092271
>>
>>1092271
like bags of sand
>>
>>1092277
And salty milk and coins.
>>
>>1092271
american women feel like hamburger
>>
>>1092286
Like lumpy miracle whip in a wet sock.
>>
>>1092248
>>1092239
Where you guys from? I think this is regional. In Philadelphia, I find that people are really consistent about keeping to the right of walks, like traffic. Went to Pittsburgh and people skattered all over the fucking place. No rhyme or reason.
>>
>>1092295
cyclist here, im from the midwest. This kind of shit happens about once every 3 rides or so
>>
>>1086969
>Prevents you from being hooked by turning motorists

Don't pass on the right. Get in line with all the other traffic at an intersection.
>>
>>1092295
you should get metallic brakes. as you approach the walkers pull on the brake so it gives a loud whine.
>>
>>1086622
I live in a city (town) Umea in Sweden where there's separated bikelanes almost everywhere.

There's only on place i have to share the road with cars and that's out to the cabin.

Most drivers are very careful and considerate and good but some are horrible, feeling the right side mirror of a car scraping my left arm in +110km/h does not feel good.

Its only when i started biking i realized how extremely bad and immature drivers actually despite all odds actually manages to get a drivers license.

Also i suspect a lot of international drivers licenses converted to Swedish drivers licenses are not worth the paper they are written on.
>>
>>1092777
i know a few drivers who shouldn't have their license because their eyesight is so bad or they have narcolepsy or would never pass an exam unless they bribed someone.

so yeah. thankfully self driving cars will become the standard in 10-15 years. and these awful drivers will have less opportunity to fuck shit up.
>>
>>1092764
No. It's either a choice to pay attention and assume someone is going to be a cunt to you and hook you, and get away from the cager ragers and leave them in traffic, or, even though you're all 100% still, enrage the motorists behind you and have something shouted, thrown, or worse at you.

Don't be jelly.
>>
>>1092782
or just go on the sidewalk and be careful at crossings make sure no car can hit you like i do. being on the road with a bike is retarded faggotry. sure enough when there is no sidewalk and no bike road i sometimes ride on the road a few meters but get off at the first chance since i don't have a death wish and don't enjoy exhaust fumes particularly.
>>
>>1092801
It's more dangerous to ride on the side; I really do it sparingly. Again, the danger is you and all youre being asked to do os just look. No, honey, you learn how to interact with everyone, not just cars. You're only being asked to look.
>>
grill here. i hate when i pass dudes, and they feel it necessary to try and race me. also, shoalers suck. i just tell them they are slow, and i don't want to have to keep passing them.
>>
>>1092808
Men are tryhard fuckbois
>>
>>1092811

thanks friend. it's always some fat dude on a mountain bike vs me on my road or cross bike.
>>
>>1092808
>>1092812

If it makes you feel any better, those same dudes try to race other dudes just as hard. It's not because you're a grill
>>
>>1092803
where the fuck this meme about sidewalks being dangerous coming from?
>>
>>1092808
>>1092811
so bikefags vs cagers was not retarded enough it has to be man vs woman. fucking fat stinky lesbo wannabe feminazi whores man they ruin everything they touch.
>>
>>1092812
You remind me of some bitch who drafted me against a headwind in a uphill climb and gave me a stupid ass smirk as you passed me because she decided stopping at a stop sign wasn't cool. Right then I decided to switch up my gears and sprint off leaving her to struggle against the wind. Lazy cunt she was couldn't handle some breeze.
>>
>>1092840

i don't draft unless i'm out with a friend riding and taking turns.
>>
>>1092815

i imagine it's dick measuring contest.
>>
>>1092817
Motorists being retarded; that's where.
>>
File: IMG_0250.jpg (84KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0250.jpg
84KB, 1080x1350px
>>1092840
>>1092819
>>
>>1092847

That's because you're an idiot.
>>
>>1092851
safest place to be is the sidewalk trust me. it's also healthier and cleaner. road is full of oily gunk that fucks up tour brakes.
>>
>>1092889
Again, no, you're retarded. I have an anime scar over my eyebrow from eiding on the sidewalk and I look like a giant faggot. You want that?
>>
>>1092889
>>1092942
Can we all agree that the most dangerous place is intersections, regardless if you use the sidewalk or the road.
>>
>>1092952
Which is why the sidewalk is more dangerous, more intections are created with driveways, commerical and residential, with more limited visibilty for the created insections and the legitimate intersections of the roads.
>>
>>1092942
never been near any accident ridding the sidewalk. maybe you did something incredibly stupid.
>>
>>1092953
it is exactly the intersections that make the sidewalk a much safer option. drivers expect peds to show up there. they count on it. if they find a bike it's not much of a difference.
>>
>>1092889
Maybe if you're crawling along a 10kph? Around here the pavement is narrow, full of furniture like telephone poles, and tends to have pedestrians weaving about. Besides which it's not even close to a smooth surface.
>>
>>1092969
yeah well narrow sidewalks suck and obviously not fit for cycling. that's not the usual around here. we have sidewalks so wide ten people can fit shoulder to shoulder separated from roads often by patches of grass and trees not just a curb. i would be stupid to ride the road, i only have to watch the intersections but they are further in, so the driver have time to orient or i have time to brake.
>>
>>1092867

imagining cat 6 dudes trying to race each other on a commute makes me an idiot? okay.jpg
>>
>>1092969
>Maybe if you're crawling along a 10kph?
try 30 tho i average that when going but you have to stop sometimes at the light same as everyone. so i make a 10km trip with some uphills and about 4-5 lights under 30 minutes on the sidewalk. i could shave off a few minutes at certain places going between the cars, i would get exhaust in my face and constant close passing and getting stuck behind illegally parked cars i can't dodge while a car is passing me.
>>
>>1092964
as someone eloquently put it all the dangers riding on the sidewalk presents are in your control, if you got on the roads you are out of control you are at the mercy of others not to get rear ended or right hooked or run into a car door opened in front of you or splashed or thrown shit at maybe some burning cigarette butt flies in your face from a car window to name a few out of many dangers.
>>
>>1092971
something tells me you live in the suburbs and not the city
>>
>>1092982
no i live in the city not the inner city tho. in the inner city it's bad but i have done sidewalks there too only much slower lot's of bumfucks wandering around which i don't mind usually inner city real busy ped area is very small.

suburbs are further out. there the sidewalks either don't exist or so small and crappy they might as well not exist. fortunately the car traffic is also almost nonexistent on those roads.
>>
>>1088047
how do i work my balance to be as good as those guys swerving through tiny spaces?
>>
>>1092977
That also happens on the sidewalk, sans the rear ending.
>>
>>1092977
>implying sidewalks are infinite in length and uninterrupted
It is a proven fact that riding in city traffic is safer than separated bike paths and riding on the sidewalk. You are safer in intersections. Only cagers use the safe sidewalk excuse to get """their""" roads free from cyclists.
>>
>>1092971
I have no idea what crazy place you live in, but that's wider than most of the roads I ride on.
>>
>>1092992
no it just isn't true. you can't meet anything in an intersection you can't avoid collision with as a bike. if you are not paying attention and expect drivers to give way always sure enough the intersections are a hazard to your health. if you are not a moron there is no problems there.
>>
>>1092991
yeah sure no it doesn't. and the best thing in sidewalks you can adjust your speed freely to the visibility conditions without annoying the crap out of anyone. you can even dribble with walking pace if that is the safe speed at an intersection or around peds that don't pay attention. it's very rare tho. usually you can clearly see as you approach if you gonna have problems i can blast right through 90% of the time.
there was only one time where a retard crossed in front of me trying to turn on an empty road but unexpectedly stopped when i expected him to simply roll on. that was close i ended up braking hard and touching his car almost with my front wheel. that was the most dangerous thing in 25 years of sidewalk riding.
>>
>>1093022
>no it just isn't true.
What a great argument! Is sure to turn away decades of scientific research! Doubleplus good!!!11
>you can't meet anything in an intersection you can't avoid collision with as a bike.
Do you even know how a right hook/rear ending works? Never mind. It doesn't even fucking matter if you, as a cyclist, theoretically could have avoided the accident. The fact is that these accidents happen. They happen less frequently if there are bike lanes instead of paths, or when riding in mixed traffic. Saying 'yeah sure but if all cyclists were super human if would go away' is not an argument.
We could turn the tables and say that there is nothing on the road you can't avoid running into as a driver. Then we'd also avoid a dose of victim blaming.
>>
>>1093025
I have places to be and there ate peds in the way. I'm not some crawling child tootling down the way.
>>
>>1093029
>Do you even know how a right hook/rear ending works?
yes the driver simply turns right without noticing the bike there. it happens mostly when the bike is passing from the right in a blind spot. can happen because the driver fails to use the turn indicator just slows down.

but it will never happen to you if you ride sidewalk. because the car is already perpendicular to your path. not only that but he will have lost most off his speed at that point even if he manages to hit you because you failed to notice him and he doesn't keep his feet on the brakes in case a ped steps in front of him the speed or collision will be very low. butt you have to be a special kind of retard not to notice a car will turn and not to slow down and let him decide if he gives way or you stop.

>>1093031
it really doesn't happen that much. if you are in such a fucking hurry then go ahead use the roads inhale exhaust straight from the tube and annoy the crap out of drivers. its kinda like a goldfish saying the aquarium is so boring and jumps into the shark tank but be my guest.
>>
>>1093042
Again, getting hit from a slow speed put twelve stitches in my head and allowed me to see my own eyebrow with my own eyes.
Again, the danger here isn't the cyclist, it's the motorist. Never, in my entire life, have I made a turn without looking to see who's behind me, because I also ride a bike, and I'm not a sociopath. You're being asked to look and you cannot even do that. Why the fuck should I consider anything you have to say valid after that?
>>
>>1093086
>You're being asked to look and you cannot even do that.
you fucking imbecile you have stated this about dozen times and i have no idea where you got it. i spot cyclists way before i get to the turn but obviously track them in the mirror. but this is absolutely beside the point. if you ride sidewalk you won't get right hooked ever. unless YOU don't pay attention. in which case you fully deserve it faggot.

you guys are like with drivers like feminists with men. some inexplicable visceral fear and hatred that totally poisons your entire life and every thought. it would be funny if it wasn't pathetic.
>>
>>1093336
>projecting his bike butthurt as bikers drivers hatred
Man, you need to seek help. Also, have you stopped speeding yet?
>>
>>1093351
>have you stopped speeding yet?
depends on your definition of speeding really. i got with the flow of traffic, which is always above speed limit in my country. i don't know why but you have to go 10km/h above speed limit or some crazy shit starts to happen as cars try to pass you and start wrestling on the road.
>>
>>1093336
>you guys are like with drivers like feminists with men.
Oh, yeah, that totally strengthens your argument with me, pal.
*tips fedora*
>>
>>1086622
The pace is a much more start/go in nature and good once in a while. In regards to safety, people do silly things whether you are on a bicycle or in a car, just make sure you have good brakes.
>>
>>1093367
so you are a feminist huh? i knew it. you sound like one.
>>
>>1093336
>but this is absolutely beside the point. if you ride sidewalk you won't get right hooked ever. unless YOU don't pay attention.
Again,nice just dismissing the cons of sidewalk riding with a wave of a hand. But, for arguments sake, lets say the sidewalk is safer, why is the sidewalk safer? Why would you seek a safer space than the road? Because motorists aren't safe. Because motorists don't understand the gravity of their responsibility, and because motorists DO. NOT. LOOK.
Why can't you look? Why can't you signal? Why can't you drive predictably? You're the one with a school class, you're the one with a test, you're the one who can mow down eight kids and get away unharmed if no one were chasing you. (And, again, I say this as someone who drives for a living and watching you lot do stupid shit my whole shift.)

Don't leave it up for cyclists to pick up the slack, and then blame them for an attitude or not doing it. Take responsibility for your fucking self.
>>
>>1093373
Need a safe space?
>>
>>1093375
>Why would you seek a safer space than the road?
self preservation and general lack of trust in my fellow humans. i don't hate and fear drivers like you i know most of them are decent, but i don't like to put my life in their hand. i guess i'm a bit of a control freak. if i die it should be my fault.
>Why can't you look? Why can't you signal? Why can't you drive predictably?
again what's with the unfounded accusations? you just pull this crap out of your ass. if drivers were this bad you wouldn't be alive to talk nonsense here.
>Take responsibility for your fucking self.
indeed. why i ride the sidewalk really.
>>
>>1093397
>i know most of them are decent
Honestly, no, they're not.

> if i die it should be my fault.
But you understand that it is not, right? We're asking to have the problem solved, by the people who are making it a problem, and you're simply saying to avoid the problem.
No.

>again what's with the unfounded accusations? you just pull this crap out of your ass. if drivers were this bad you wouldn't be alive to talk nonsense here.
Again, I drive for a living; all fucking day, I drive. All fucking night, I drive. Honestly, at this point, I spend more time behind a wheel than I do on a saddle. I have an excellent idea of what the road is like in the real world.
>>
>>1093400
>We're asking to have the problem solved, by the people who are making it a problem, and you're simply saying to avoid the problem.
i'm saying there is no problem except in your head. drivers are not out to kill you. if you don't trust them just avoid contact like me.
>I have an excellent idea of what the road is like in the real world.
are you russian by any chance?
>>
>>1093409
>i'm saying there is no problem except in your head
That's ignoring objective facts. If you think it's all in your head, why then are you on the sidewalk in the first place. There IS a danger and that danger comes from motorists.
I've had close calls with cyclists before and you know what happened? Mostly some miffed feelings, a couple 'HEY SORRY's and, on two occasions, a fucking sorry handshake. Cyclists aren't going to kill each other.

>drivers are not out to kill you
Wonderful, I've had (I hope) water thrown on me and my buddies in January, had things shouted at me, thing thrown at me, been pushed into crap filled shoulders, everything. And that's just what people intended to do. What people don't realize, or don't care, that they're doing adds to that.

>are you russian by any chance?
No, I live in NJ; the most densely populated state in the nation.
>>
>>1093410
>There IS a danger and that danger comes from motorists.
no the danger comes from mixing incompatible vehicle classes. the modern rhythm and flow of traffic is seriously fucked up and disturbed if you mix bikes in on the roads. that is a fact.
>had things shouted at me
you see? i never had things shouted or thrown at me. why is that? i wonder...
>>
>>1093412
>no the danger comes from mixing incompatible vehicle classes
No, the danger comes from fucking motorists, dude. They're compatible, you just have to not be a cunt.

> that is a fact.
No, it's not. In fact, when I ride in the city-city, I run into less problems than I do suburbs. One, the car-traffic is limited to a block or so before a stop or a red or something or other, and most importantly, the people who drive there expect bicycles to exist along with them, and take that into account.
It's an attitude problem and little more.

>why is that? i wonder
That's shifting blame to the cyclist when it isn't the cyclists' fault, dipshit.
>>
>>1093422
that's fucking interesting i find the suburbs the safest place for a bike to be on the road. the car traffic is almost nonexistent but pretty slow and deliberate because kids and dogs can jump in front of them any time i guess. roads are nice and wide for the traffic no close passes. suburbs are nice and comfy on a bike. roads outside cities are literally the worst. cars go high speed there is no space left for bikes. if a car tries to pass you but there is a car coming in from ahead you can bet your ass you go diving in the bushes before he gets a head on collision. nah. it's like you live in an other reality completely contradicting all my life experience.
>>
>>1093432
The only thing I can marginally agree on is how less cars there are on the roads in the suburbs, but what I find the trouble is is all the space afforded to them. You can't go too fast in the city because there's so much traffic, but if some drunk or bored asshole spots me from a block away, they've got a lot of room to speed up and fuck up with, or see how close they can get to me, or however else they wanna fuck with me. (Not that it should make a difference, but I don't wear lycra or whatever.)

Because there's so much space and because people have such a 'Fuck you, I've lived in this town for 400 years blah blah blah' bullshit, it makes it so hard to predict.
Was driving away from a delivery on a no-outlet road, and as I came onto the 'real' road, some dude made a turn onto my street while fiddling with his radio or something, not looking up, and nearly caused me a head on collision. Offered me a sheepish sorry, but I guess he was really used to no one generally being there when he turned.
Suburbs are only safe when they're YOUR suburbs, in my experience.
>>
>>1093436
i find it less and less likely i will ever visit the united states. i really wanted to see some of the woods and general nature there, but people seem like such high-sprung assholes and this whole tsa thugs x-raying and fingerprinting business really puts me off. and now you say people just try to fuck with cyclist out of some territorial thing? wow... i don't live in the suburbs but never had problems with the people there except one time i tried spam delivery for a day as a kid and needed money. now that was some serious hostility both from the dogs and the people i experienced when i approached their mailbox. aside from that, nothing. people even take care not to accidentally spray me while i ride and they wash their car. sometimes in the heat i resent that a bit.
>>
>>1093440
I mean, yeah, I'm not here to defend my country.
It's all true.
>>
>>1093436
I treat cars like they are dangerous, stupid, and unpredictable beasts. It serves me pretty well.
>>
>>1092977
People who toss cig butts out of their cars should be summarily executed.
>>
I commuted to work it's a 30 mile trip, I leave so early you're still in the middle of your dreams at night.

No sun and no traffic so it's pretty nice. Main problem is I keep thinking I'm getting a great workout then when I try to run just 1 mile I can't even finish it, while I can do that whole ride without stopping or even needing water and a snack.

So I'd rather just get more sleep, take a normal shit in the morning, and try running on the weekends.
>>
>>1093482
Running =/= cycling
I'm good af at sprinting, but I can't maintain a good mile
>>
>>1086791
That's fucking hilarious
>>
>>1087802
>heh, if you don't know my literal blogger term then you are a novice
>>
>>1093805
>running lights is a blogger term
The rudest cyclists are the least experienced
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.