[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7u S9p1_

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
Thoughts on this ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7uS9p1_xXs
They have sold over 160k of them in Japan. Has the airless tire dream finally happened?
>>
>>1082393

The Japanese are buying them because keeping a full-sized bike pump around the apartment is a major inconvenience, and mini-pumps are all garbage.

If you're curious, you may as well buy a set and find out why the airless tire meme has not and never will happen.
>>
File: 1466270039251.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1466270039251.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>1082396
Really so all this time they've been riding pneumatic tires and suddenly they collectively decided they have no room for a pump? lmao it's more like you keep a tire repair kit in your fanny pack at all times and dream of the day you see some helpless your girl broken down and can't stand the thought of your one """skill""" in life being marginalized you fat autist. A lot of these bikes have sold. I'm not seeing the complaints about them. Looks like the airless meme has happened.
>>
>>1082402
Enjoy your shitty,shitty riding tires and deformed rims turbonerd.
>>
>>1082402

>projecting your predictably insecure rape fantasies onto internet strangers

If you're so helpless that you can't change a tube I don't NEED some trite, contrived power dynamic. Any interaction between us represents a steep gradient in my favor. And I certainly don't WANT that shit. It's boring as fuck.
>>
Of all the inventions that came out of the bicycle industry, probably none is as important and useful as Dr. Dunlop's pneumatic tire.

Airless tires have been obsolete for over a century, but crackpot "inventors" keep trying to bring them back. They are heavy, slow and give a harsh ride. They are also likely to cause wheel damage, due to their poor cushioning ability. A pneumatic tire uses all of the air in the whole tube as a shock absorber, while foam-type "airless" tires/tubes only use the air in the immediate area of impact.

Pneumatic tires require pumping up from time to time, and can go flat, but their advantages overwhelm these difficulties.

Airless tire schemes have also been used by con artists to gull unsuspecting investors. My advice is to avoid this long-obsolete system.
>>
>>1082556
t. sheldon brown
>>
I'm actually interested in seeing more water-filled tires. We have a few shops here in the bay area starting to promote these.

There are a few benefits of the water-filled tire:
-Lighter than a full rubber airless AND more compressibility - enough to prevent rim deformation and actually distributes the weight throughout the tire better than an air-filled tire...
-The water acts as a sort of flywheel which helps to propel you.
-Water is easy to fill a tire with- you don't need need to apply a lot of pressure to fill the tire sufficiently. A hose adapter makes is so you can fill essentially anywhere.
-A theoretical benefit, if you are stranded somewhere you can uncap the tire and drink the water.
-The rubber liner stays moisturized, so it's always fresh and doesn't crack etc.

No doubt you aren't setting any track records with a water-filled tire (yet) but it's perfect for the no-frills commuter
>>
File: ice wheel.jpg (81KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
ice wheel.jpg
81KB, 650x400px
>>1082609
what about winter riding?
>>
>>1082609
Water is incompressible, retard.
>>
File: 31b-EfsmHkL.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
31b-EfsmHkL.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
>>1082615
hmm really? then how do these things work?
i
>>
>>1082619
By compressing air that is used to propel the incompressible water out. What did you think, that you were pumping ever more water in there? From fucking where, exactly?
>>
>>1082615
Water is effectively incompressible.
What is happening in watertyres is the same as in air ones to a large extent- it is the rubber that is giving way.
>>
>>1082631
>it is the rubber that is giving way.
Cord. It is the cord that builds the tyre. The rubber is just a seal and wear surface. The cord does not give way in any "large extent". You can see this when inflating the tyre, as the tyre width only grows a tiny percentage whereas the air inside is compressed several times over. If you can easily compress air to 1/6 of its original volume with no appreciable difference in tyre volume, it stands to reason that any further force absorbed by the tyre due to load or impact is cushioned by further compressing the easily compressible medium rather than the cord suddenly gaining magic properties.

There's more to trolling than pretending to be retarded, you know.
>>
File: Public-Bike-Pump21.jpg (386KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Public-Bike-Pump21.jpg
386KB, 800x533px
>>1082396
so them fags don't have air pumps at gas station or public bike air pumps
>>
they should make some dumb ass system where you inflate the tire but there's some dumb ass structure inside that keeps the tire rolling (like shit) when it fucking punctures (guaranteed since anyone buying this fucking stupid idea would definitely be riding 30tpi shit-tier fuck up idiot tires )
>>
>>1082393
No
this shit is and has always been stupid
if you're that scared about punctures, get a tire with a kevlar belt. if spending 2 minutes pumping up a tire every few weeks is too much work for you, why the fuck are you getting into cycling, or any physical activity for that matter.

Airless tires are heavier, less comfortable, don't allow you to change your pressure based on terrain/preference, have less options as to what tire/size to use, have significantly less grip, have less control because the tire can't deform to the road when turning or deform to the terrain, harder to replace, and you need stupid specific wheels for them

the pros? you dont have to spend a minute or two pumping up a wheel every few weeks

it's for retarded moms and they suck and will continue to. stop literally reinventing the wheel. ride these things for 10 seconds and you'll see why they suck, not having the air makes them incredibly uncomfortable. go off a curb in these things and every bone in your body shatters
>>
>>1082609
you know people literally fill peoples tires with water as a practical joke? It's actually done as an inconvenience to fuck with people.

and no they're not lighter. water is heavy. and that flywheel thing is the dumbest thing i've heard here all day
>>
>>1082619
You compress the air and water doesn't compress so it finds the easiest way out.

Those tanks work exactly like car brakes.

The lever at the top basically forces fluid to find an easy way out the easiest way is to compress a piston that is wrapped around a rotor.

So when you hit the brake a piston or 6 depending on how high end your car is grabs the spinning rotor disallowing the wheel to move and slowing the vehicle
>>
>>1082826
>Those tanks work exactly like car brakes.
They work nothing like car brakes. Fuck you, Sieg. Fuck off, Sieg.
>>
>>1082814
Rubber is heavier.
>>
>>1082922
Yeah, but the small amount of rubber used in a normal tire is lighter than the airless monstrosities
>>
>>1082396
It's not like the brand is new... from what I search they've been making them for 5+ years
>>
>>1083121
meant to quote
>>1082402
>>
>>1082393
Consider the market in Japan is like 8 million bikes in year 2015, the market share of this bike is less than 1%. (160k is like all time total)
>>
>>1082956
>Neglecting the weight of the water.
>>
>>1083125
yes but how many single bike make/model sold 160k ?

that's like saying honda civic is irrelevant because there are x amount of cars
>>
>>1083187
Except Chacle is not a model name, it is the brand name. This year they're even releasing tricycle and ebikes under the name Chacle
>>
Remember that these things weigh about two and a half times that of gatorskins.
>>
>>1082814
I imagine you mean that people fill up *normal* bike tires with water. A water tire does not use the same type of thin tube. The tube is thicker and a more expensive rubber that would need to be oiled if in contact with air. The tubes have rubber ridges in them that prevent water from moving around side to side. In that way, the water DOES act like a flywheel and doesn't slosh around like a bucket of water. I'm curious if you have any argument to counter the flywheel action I described?

I will try to find a box from one of these tires that shows a diagram
>>
>>1083246
A flywheel does not "help to propel you". They store kinetic energy, which helps to even out a force curve that comes in pulses, converting the energy output to a more stable. Anyway, they can only store whatever energy you put in, so the net benefit is zero at best, and since the stabilizing effect is effected by reducing your ability to accelerate, it is disadvantageous in practice for a cyclist.
>>
>>1083205
So about 20lbs?
>>
>>1083246
a flywheel will only make it harder to get up to speed and harder to stop

i fail to see why anyone would want that
see what >>1083257 said, and then retake middle school physics
>>
>>1083205
Nah, official figure is 660g
>>
>>1083190
160k for some obscure brand like chacle who likely only makes one popular model of bike is impressive no matter how you fail to reword it
>>
>>1083384
Well, it helps that they are also making other regular bicycles under other name and they also have 50% income cone from activities that are not selling bikes. But indeed, the growth from 2 billion yen operational income in 2012 to 9 billion in 2015 is impressive. They have just recently migrated some production line to China and Vietnam and is planning IPO in recent years with expansion in foreign market
>>
ITT: People discussing water-filled tires.
Shit should be archived.
>>
File: spicer-drahtreifen-114513[1].jpg (215KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
spicer-drahtreifen-114513[1].jpg
215KB, 1050x1050px
>>1083404
/n/ is being archived,untill the current site dies just like fgts.jp did and the many before
>>
>>1083370
So, only twice that of gatorskins.
>>
File: 1493678210379.png (240KB, 428x456px) Image search: [Google]
1493678210379.png
240KB, 428x456px
>>1082619
>>
File: 1390107827786.jpg (10KB, 214x244px) Image search: [Google]
1390107827786.jpg
10KB, 214x244px
>my thread is still here
>>
>>1086022
Why shouldn't it be? It hasn't even been a month yet.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.