[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about becoming an air traffic controller but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Air-Traffic-Controller2.jpg (63KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
Air-Traffic-Controller2.jpg
63KB, 736x490px
I'm thinking about becoming an air traffic controller but I heard that the job market isn't looking good for it.
>>
>>1081456
Trump privatized it, you don't pay attention?

Means there are going to be a ton of lay-offs from salaried gov positions and a hiring freeze and furloughs throughout
>>
>>1081464
If people are being laid off then doesn't that increase my chances of getting accepted?
>>
>>1081464

did he change that shit where good pilots were being rejected because of racial quotas?
>>
They didn’t privatize it. The bill got turned down. It’s going to stay with the FAA for the foreseeable future.

That saying it’s a pretty good job if you can get in and can handle the stress. I was just at the academy so I know the whole process. Prior to a few years ago the only way to get in was to go to a “CTI” college or the military. In the last 3 years, they opened it up to “off the street” hires. That means any one can just apply to the open bid. There’s rumor that a new bid will start in July. You don’t need any knowledge of aviation as they teach you everything you need at the academy. Before you get to the academy however you need to pass several steps. A biographical questioner, multitasking test called the AT-SAT, a background test, a drug test, a physical exam, and a phycological exam called the MMPI-2. That process takes about a 1-2 years to complete before you actually get a class date at the academy in OKC.
>>
The academy is 3-4 months depending on if you get terminal or enroute. The failure rate currently at the academy is about 85%. You read that correctly. The class sizes are all 18 students. The pass rate per class over the 3 months I was there was about 2-5 people per class. All of the rest failed. I don’t really agree with the way the run the academy. You do bookwork for 2.5 months. I got a 90% overall however that’s only worth 10% of your final grade. You don’t actually get in the simulator and start talking to planes until the last two weeks. Then you take a test at the end which is worth 90% of your grade. You cant learn what they expect you to in 2 weeks. Most of the top people in my class, myself included, didn’t make it.

If you pass, you have 2 weeks to move to your assigned location. It can be anywhere in the entire country. Your class doesn’t get the list until the last week of class. Then the choices are determined by class ranking. The top person gets first pick. You get two choices per person. So if your class is 18, you get 32 choices. When people fail, the bottom choice get taken of the list. So at the end if you have 3 people pass, you will have 6 places to choose from.

The bid will be on the usajobs website so keep a look out for it. Also, the cutoff age is 30
>>
>>1081464
I believe the privitization has been scratched from the bill.
>>
>>1084614
Do you have to go through the academy if you were atc in the air force?
>>
>>1084616

depends on if you were certified in the military. If you were, then no you can go straight to a facility
>>
>>1084614

36 choices not 32. sorry

also check out stuckmic.com for a lot more info
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.