[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

800 dollar aluminium frame edition. Post pics, ask questions,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

800 dollar aluminium frame edition.

Post pics, ask questions, get them answered here.
>>
kek this nigga bought a frame without fork
>>
>>1081145
My legs are my fork
>>
>>1081145
The store forgot the fucking fork and the headset in the post, its coming tomorrow.
Not that its super important i've got plenty of forks. but regardless im using the ones that are coming
>>
File: campy record pista.png (275KB, 745x635px) Image search: [Google]
campy record pista.png
275KB, 745x635px
>>1081125
record pista or dura-ace track for my ss?

currenly leaning towards campy
>>
>>1081125
>zero stack headset

what's it like knowing you spent $800 on a $50 frameset?

let me guess you're saving up for a sikkk leader?
>>
>>1081161
square taper cranks on a fixed gear means

"i'm a poor bitch and i can't afford ominiums so i'm going to pretend like my antiquated shit is better....check out my scratched and dented used dura-ace crank i got for $10 that hasn't been on the track since 1975"
>>
>>1081167
feels pretty good man

a leader would be a big downgrade from this
>>
File: 1469886579190.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1469886579190.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>1081168
>buying used/old/etc
don't project your poorness on to me, peasant. both cranksets run about $500-ish with bottom bracket and chainring for current production models, with the campy being a bit less expensive as it includes the 49t ring.

your faggoty-ass post just decided on campagnolo for me, so i can say 'no, it's pronounced campanYOLO. it's ITALIAN.' to poor people.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5NQG3Lx5Kk
Post some ride inspiration vids, these and nyc messenger vids always get me amped, wish we had cities like this in aus
>>
>>1081125

why are smooth welds worth $1k
>>
>>1081188
Aesthetics, something your poor ass would never come to appreciate.
>>
>>1081188
its australian dollars though, in real money its a mid-tier budget frame.

honestly, the welds are nice but theyre not amazing, theres definitely better welds out there. I was just in the market for a nice alu frame and i've seen too many cinellis around so I got this instead. Saved ~300 by not buying cinelli, and its lighter anyway

oh also what >>1081196 said, i think 8bars are pretty
>>
>>1081173
Hey this kid that rides his bike everywhere just called me poor....hahaha

Turns car on and drives away
>>
>>1081200
how come you like to pick on people sieg? Do you need some friends? would you like to be my friend?
>>
>>1081188
Smooth welds = machine mig

Stack of dimes means hand welded Tig welds

Smooth welds was a marketing gimmick you all fell for

The base salary for an aluminum Tig welder certified in 6g aluminum (needed for a bike frame) is roughly $72,000 full time production run.

They fired all the welders and invested in automated welding machines then said it was more aero
>>
>>1081202
how stacked dimey is stacked dimes? when my phone charges ill take a close up of the 8bar welds, theyre honestly not that amazing, im no welding expert but they look more stack dimed than perfectly smooth
>>
File: blb classic 3641.jpg (205KB, 750x560px) Image search: [Google]
blb classic 3641.jpg
205KB, 750x560px
I was thinking of upgrading my frame of my single speed. Currently I ride a Pure Fix frame. I know it's hi-ten steel so I wanted something better. The BLB Classic R is Reynolds 520 steel. € 340,-.

Am I buying another meme or is it legit?
>>
>>1081218
you will notice it going from hiten to even 4130, as for wether boutique steel is worth it? that's up to you. They do look nice though, and it'll definitely be lighter and stronger.
>>
>>1081125
>my legs are my gears
And your knees are your schock absorbers?
>>
>>1081125
>>1081224
apparently his arms are his forks too
>>
>>1081203
always ignore sieg except to shout him down

smoothed welds was a Cannondale thing for years, intended to show off a bit of craftsmanship and attention to detail
>>
>>1081202

questions

1. Am I right thinking MUSA cannondales were special? Or are they machine mig like you are saying

2. Are Tig frames better in any way than Mig? High paid employees, sure... but if the machine does it just as well and it's smooth....
>>
File: FROOPV4_P1.jpg (29KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
FROOPV4_P1.jpg
29KB, 600x400px
>>1081218

If I had single speed parts I would go for a Pompino

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPV4/on-one-pompino-v4-frameset
>>
>>1081203
When I certified for my 6g

A perfect weld on 6061-t6 was half coverage

Each dime is where the metal melts into a pool and you touch the very leading edge of the red hot pool with your filler rod as you back off on the pedal and maintain momentum (forward) of your tight torch keeping the electric arc straight along your seam

It's like killing 5 birds with one stone.

China frames get fuck up where you see gaps in the stacked dimes...that's where like an elbow slips or like the dude went too far because it's hard to weld tubes
>>
>>1081284
I've never owned a cannondale track.

Just look over the design details yourself in person.

I can tell you that I'm happy with vintage litespeed titanium. Hand welded Tig. Super clean.

With brand new frames, it's skilled labor and jigs

Or automated unskilled labor.

https://youtu.be/OYNh_LVgcGo

Basically, do you want a McDonald's employee assembling your high end bike who puts metal into a machine and pushes a button and doesn't qc anything.

Or do you want Someone skilled building it like this.

https://youtu.be/xi1Znkd6Fno

My argument is that the latter has less qc issues.

Everything you buy is a gamble on qc.

Like even Toyota has made some shitty cars (consumer reports measures in units per 1000)
>>
>>1081173
Name one place doesn't isn't blowing out sqtap cranks on mega clearance..

Nobody is buying shit for $500

You know your ass is getting a "$500 msrp crankset for $50"

Ain't nobody dun paid $500 of a campy crankset ever

And anyone who claims to, is trying to get more.money from you selling it used
>>
>>1081125
>people spending multiple hundreds of dollars on fixed gear/ss bikes

literally why, it's not like you're paying for precision engineered derailleurs or anything

Is it not more true to the "culture" to ride whatever is the cheapest possible?
>>
>>1081383
Fixie culture is the same culture as sneaker head culture

It's about showing how wealthy you are by following a strict subset of rules.

You have to have the ugly tan Kanye west sneakers

And you need the latest njs parts or whatever
>>
>>1081286
>>1081288
>>1081289
>>1081385
>gets slammed to the ground in other thread
>goes on shitpost spree
>l-look how u-unperturbed i am g-guise
>you d-didnt get to me
Get fucked, shitstain.
>>
>>1081224
well i mean, thats literally true.

>>1081243
maximum aero

>>1081383
It's nice to spend money on your hobby, if it wasn't this it'd be alcohol or video games, I'm single with no kids I've got cash to piss away.

And re culture, that's all personal, there are really nice parts bikes, full njs track bikes, full carbon track bikes, or stuff like this which is just a middle ground nice frameset.

I've got a cheapo steel bike, a nice steel bike with carbon forks and this, as well as a few roadies, theyre all for different things. This will be a more long distance ride bike, 30miles to 120miles. My steel bikes are short distance and bikes to practice tricks on.
>>
>>1081147

underrated !
>>
>>1081168

this is the first undenyable truth you have posted here. thanks
>>
>>1081218

the only option is a pre cursa , we've gone over this like a million times.
>>
>>1081446
>Bikes to practice tricks on

You have to be over 18 to post here
>>
>>1081545
its fun to do stuff like fish and chips and riding backwards and what not
>>
File: IMG_20170615_135213_186.jpg (763KB, 1152x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_135213_186.jpg
763KB, 1152x1152px
YEET
>>
>>1081686
looks very clean, nice job
>>
>>1081691
thanks mate, weighed her and she comes in at 7.8 kilos, but theres definitely easy weight to shed, not that im /too/ concerned.

Brooks saddle can be exchanged for something to lose 300 grams at least, the brake caliper is straight bargain bin shit and weighs 200grams, idk what a high level brake weighs but im sure its a fraction of that.

Still hanging out for some nice carbon wheels though, even if im no where near fast enough to justify em
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 855x589px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 855x589px
I know this is a terrible picture but im trying to find a frame from a company i saw about 2-3 years back

the things i remember is that it had those offset seatstays, a very fat, flat downtube, and a one word name

i know it wasn't dosnoventa, but it might have had an odd name like that, or it was something like trophy, king, etc (not leader)
>>
>>1081694
collossi do something like that, there are a bunch of frames in that style now, its quite popular, merida has one as well which is very angular iirc, let me find a pic.
>>
>>1081695
thats the style, yeah, but neither of those brands sound familiar

are there any brands that start with the letter P? that's all i can think of
>>
>>1081697
hmm, im not sure mate, probably but I'm drawing blanks atm, got that tip-of-the-tongue situation going on, can't think of any companies atm
>>
File: IMG_0889_large.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0889_large.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>1081699
nvm i found it, i was thinking of Throne
>>
>>1081701
ahh that might be why i didnt think of that, seen plenty of them in vids from the US but never seen one here in aus. also it doesnt start with P :^)
>>
>>1081702
the P name i was thinking of was just a weird kind of russian sounding word like Dosnoventa but i honestly might have just been thinking of Dosnoventa with that
>>
>>1081697
pake made shitty fixies circa leader erabut were hi ten
>>
>>1081383
what is the cheapest possible? since fixed have reached meme status even gumtree (craiglist-like in aus) is a bit much for a poor uni student.
Any recs from anyone?
>>
>>1081705
Dosnoventa is Spanish by the way
>>
It's a shame aluminium frames are so expensive.
Unless I order from Aliexpress, in which case I save about 60 dollars compared to a well reviewed carbon frameset.

Welds do look ok though. (Mostly because the paint covers it really well)
And I guess alu is safer.

Maybe I should buy a frame so I can get a Campagnolo road bike for cheap.
>>
>>1083076
It's not worth it to get aluminum frames from China.

Mostly because if you actually looked around you'd know you won't save money with it.

China stepped into the cycling world when carbon became big and most of their expertise is with carbon.
Go to http://www.chinertown.com/ if you want to know about Chink carbon.

Carbon from China is yaay
Alu from China is naay
>>
>>1083076
Uhhhh alum frames for a road bike are like $100

I have a road bike I use for group rides with a white aluminum frame from performance bike that was less than $80

Idk where you're finding carbon frames for $150 but I strongly suggest you don't buy a $150 carbon frame
>>
>>1081686
hi liam
>>
>>1083717
hello i hope youre having a good day
>>
>>1083088

I'm getting the feeling your doing somethign wrong with your 80$ frames and your set ups so weird you get angry at gcn for making set up videos.

#nohate
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.