[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fat neet here, looking to get a bike. Are $200 road bikes of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: 1489846132141.png (21KB, 261x209px) Image search: [Google]
1489846132141.png
21KB, 261x209px
fat neet here, looking to get a bike. Are $200 road bikes of amazon a good option? I just want something to get exercise with and go from my house to the store.
>>
No
Get a 90s rigid MTB
>>
>>1080333
just get an old used steel roadbike off of craigslist and fix it up
>>
you could maybe get away with that - bikes at this price point are generally pretty doomed but if you go easy on it, maintain it and throw a bit of cash at it it will last longer, likely a couple of years if used regularly.
better bet is to pick up something that's higher quality second hand, like a decent mountain bike or a hybrid. post your local CL.
i'd avoid getting an old road bike if you're out of shape and not used to riding - you need comfort and fit to encourage you to get on the bike, get you outside etc.
go easy at first - i've a good but chunky friend that fucked up his knees by pushing himself too hard.
luck to you.
>>
>>1080333
>Wasting perfectly good triples on a shit thread like this

How about this: GET A JOB then you'll have money to get a bike that isn't a total piece of shit, which is what you'll get for $200.
>>
>>1080333

A friend of mine bought one.
It was pretty incredibly shitty, but it got him around town well enough I suppose.
>>
>>1080333
$200 bike will cost you $200 more than whatever buying a decent used bike will cost you
>>
>>1080366
kys sieg
>>
>>1080381
fuck off
>>1080333
The only new bike you should buy for 200 is a Wally World single-speed plus a bike shop tune-up
>>
>>1080333
Just get a used MTB if you're using it to go to the store. You'll never use the full potential of a road bike being over weight and going to the store. Might as well pick the comfy option.
>>
File: 1462498312499.jpg (960KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1462498312499.jpg
960KB, 1080x1080px
yes it will do the job

ignore the autistic road freds here
>>
no they're not a good option
they're unreliable, frustrating, and you'll hate the fucker after 3-4 months at most.

get something used off craigslist like everyone is saying.
>>
>>1080583
well I should mention it's 10 miles to the store. also what brands would you recommend?
>>
>>1080605
https://www.reddit.com/r/whichbike/comments/1h5tzs/a_brief_guide_to_buying_a_used_bike_by_a_prio_lbs/

this has all the info you could ever possibly want. if its 10 miles absolutely do not by a new bike thats under 500 bucks
>>
>>1080609
>if its 10 miles absolutely do not by a new bike thats under 500 bucks
t. leglet
>>
>>1080333

I've actually seen some of those cheap amazon road bikes and the frames are serviceable I guess. Everything else on em are kinda shitty though, especially the wheels. I wouldn't expect the wheels to last more than a year of what most here would consider regular riding.

Either go for a used bike in decent shape, or get something from a LBS that doesn't have shitty wheels that would cost more than the bike to replace.
>>
No. Not that you have to spend a lot, just don't get shit from amazon.
road.cc has a whole bunch of beginner's guides and buying guides and the prices range from super fred to normal person all the way to down low.
Save up a bit more though, you should save up at least $400. $300 on the bike, and $100 for accessories (oil, tools, replacement tubes, pump, all the neccessary tools you need to keep your bike performing well and clean).
>>
>>1080333
Nice trips op
If your still in this thread I sell bikes for a living.
Go to your local giant dealer and buy giant contend 3. $600 bucks and you get a brand new road bike.
Drop some weight faggot
>>
Just steal one, you are a neet and need it more than the other guy.
>>
>>1081360
it's nothing to do with legs and everything to do with just having something reliable.

I've built up dozens of 400 dollar bikes. They suck shit. if you're gonna spend under 500 bucks on a bike, get used so you actually get something better for your money that isnt gonna break after 2 months and make you late and also hate the hour you spend on the bike riding for 10 miles
>>
>>1080333
Diet first, then when weight loss starts to slow, then start exercising. Exercise won't do shit for you.
>>
>>1081528
I've been looking at a giant defy 3, what's your opinion on that bike?
>>
>>1082194
>then start exercising
>exercise won't do shit for you

???????????????
>>
>>1082230
He meant exercise won't do shit right now, before dieting first.
Which is wrong obviously, exercise does a lot no matter where you're at body-wise.
>>
>>1080605
trek buy it used though or you will pay for it with your unborn child.
>>
>>1082194
What an idiot, OP, don't listen to him, riding a bike is a great way to lose weight, you won't damage your knees as bad as you would running. BUY A FUCKING BIKE AND START RIDING LIKE A MANIAC ASAP.
>>
>>1082288
>riding a bike is a great way to lose weight

No it isn't.
>>
>>1082478
It is.
>>
>>1082483
No.
>>
>>1082490
It's not my fault that you ride like a pussy ass nigga.
>>
>>1082478

>low-impact endurance-effort cardio
>one of the highest calorie burning physical recreation activities

Like... I believe cross-country skiing burns more than cycling. Not much else that I can think of does. A typical rider burns in excess of 700 Calories per hour.
>>
Don't post here or on any other bike forum asking for advice on bikes.

You'll have retards who say you can't get a decent bike for under 1000 dollars no matter what
>>
>>1080333

buy something used in your size (figure this one out with some googling) that has drop bars and sti shifters (shifters integrated into brakelevers)

ride 3 times a week and just try to do as much miles/km with an effort of about 6 , go so fast/slow that you could talk to a person the whole time.

do this the rest of the year and you will be thinner and fucking fit.
you can start doing intervals and speed work next season.

good luck with a new hobby / life
>>
>>1080333
Maybe. You could get a perfectly rideable bike for 200, but you could do so much better used. I got a Bianchi Veloce with Campagnolo groupset for $50 at a garage sale. A rigid or hardtail mountain bike is also perfectly good for what you are asking.
>>
If the frame is slightly below your size, can't you still adjust it with a higher saddle and stem?

Just asking because everybody is so anal about frame size.
>>
>>1080333
If you are just starting, go buy a $150-$200 USED bike. The cheap new ones are going to be shittier.
>>
>>1082513
Then he eats 1700 because cycling makes you hungry af and he ""earned"" it. You will not out-exercise bad eating habits, there is no physical activity an hour of which can't be undone in a single meal.
First he needs to learn what foods in what quantities he can afford to eat, then he can think about augmenting his diet with exercise. Cardio alone is the hardest way to induce a caloric deficit.
>>
>>1083793
Building a core of muscle and cardio ability by lifting weights and getting exercise as a fattie is a great way to not end up as an emaciated skinnyfat faggot who is one bout of depression away from being a fat faggot with even less lean mass than before.
>>
>>1083804
which part of my post are you addressing?
>>
>>1083793
> there is no physical activity an hour of which can't be undone in a single meal
Agreed. If you're only riding for an hour you're doing it wrong obviously. The human stomach isn't nearly big enough to recover from a real ride in one meal. If you ride enough you don't need to worry about eating habits besides eating too little of things.
>>
>>1080333

OP follow this >>1080340 advice svp

unless youre in a place with a ton of demand in the bike market, just ride craigslist for a couple weeks until a ride-ready old steel hybrid comes on in your size around $75 - $125

take it to trusted LBS or bike friend (you do have friends right?) and watch and learn as they do whatever tune-up it needs for safety. get a helmet.

then, beat yourself to death on that shitheap for half a year. if you're really into cycling you can resell it for what you bought it for and then buy the nice bike others here are recommending. if you're not into cycling after all you can resell it for what you bought it for.
>>
>>1083835
>The human stomach isn't nearly big enough to recover from a real ride in one meal
>>
>>1083984
thats only 3 hours of riding lad
>>
>>1086186

BS. Are you telling me cycling really burns off that amount of calories?
>>
>>1082478
>>1082513
>>1083793
>>1083835
>>1083984
>>1086186
>>1086229

>implying you can or should only do one thing at a time
>implying cardio isn't good for anything other than weight loss
>implying everyone that is trying to loose weight has no willpower
>implying the moderate hill climb setting on a stationary bike isn't 700 kcal/h
>implying that my neuro surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, GP, physical therapist and nutritionist didn't tell me the two best forms of low impact cardio are swimming and cycling.

I got all fucked up in a car accident. Knee, ankle spine, all fucked. Got a bunch of screws, rods plates, couldn't walk and was on a shit ton of drugs. Metabolism was shut down and I got super fat. I went from 315 to 180 in a little over a year by riding an hour a day, everyday, and moderate weight lifting/physical therapy. I didn't really do shit about my diet, I just started doing more shit and not being lazy. As I became more active my diet naturally changed. As I got more fit, I went on longer rides. As the rides got longer I became more aware of how foods effected my energy level and how they made me feel. I started to eat better because I was able to notice the performance difference various foods afforded. I literally had a nutritionist telling me what to eat, but without a reason to eat healthy I didn't care, because I didn't notice the difference. once I started having a regular schedule and sticking to it the weight just started dropping off. Diet, other than cutting soda, didn't really have a big impact until I got to the last 30ish pounds. In fact, this time last summer I was ~270 pounds. I drank beer, ate pizza and rode ~200 miles a week *(15-20mi a day, one long ride on Saturday) and finished out august at ~230. I'm not sure what your background is but you seem to have everything wrong and you sound like an asshole.
>>
>>1086238

tldr, seriously
>>
>>1086229
Depends on a lot of factors but if you're over 180lb and go at 15mph you can burn about 800 calories in an hour. That figure goes down to about 500 on an exercise bike though.
>>
>>1086229
25kph generally burns like 500cal per hour, which really isn't that intense. If that's like a 5/10 effort then 800cal an hour is more like an 8 or 9/10, at least for me in a sustained effort to the point where I'm burning 2600 total calories.

Depends entirely how fit you are though. My FTP's only like 235w so I'm hardly at a competitive level of fitness yet
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.