[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like my rigid mtb from '98. It's got a couple things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: big rock candy mtn.jpg (157KB, 1600x990px) Image search: [Google]
big rock candy mtn.jpg
157KB, 1600x990px
I like my rigid mtb from '98. It's got a couple things I'd like to upgrade though. The freewheel style axle is bent because I weight 230 and take it off drops. Is it worth upgrading to a cassette? looks like it's $90 for a cheap wheel and maybe 30-50 for a new cassette? also it's still running cantis and I'd like to upgrade to v brakes but that's another expense for an old ass bike.
What say you?
>>
>>1079170
I say yes. These bikes can be trued back into shape, especially if its something like ridebending from clydesdale persons

I am seeing about how possible it would be to get 1x11 going, I am not totally certain.

upgrading your wheelset would be the first thing. Make sure you know what hub width you need, so you dont need to stretch the frame.
>>
>>1079272
good, i just spent almost 200 on an old bike.
>>
Update for posterity.

I bought that pic related v brakes kit from amazon. The brake arms probably work fine on normal bikes but I'm running 27.5's (They're 2.5" wide so they actual come out to just over 28") on a 26" frame.
The brake arms are too short and the tire interferes with the wire crossover. I bought some tektro brake arms that are supposed to be 110mm tall, this kit came with 100mm tall. There were no complications with my previous center pull canti's because the crossover wire provides more tire clearance.
>>
>>1079170
you can rest assured that a cassette freehub is a worthy upgrade, friend
>>
absolutely upgrade to cassette if you want to ride like that
if the bike is old, you might need to widen the rear triangle to fit a newer hub; not a problem with steel
or just shove it in there and not bother

if you do V-Brakes, remember that they take different levers from your old cantis; which may be a problem if your existing ones are integrated with your shifters.
>>
op here
finally got the v brakes on, had to get a model with longer arms to clear big tires but we're good now. Got new rear wheel and tire setup, got the cassette, 13-30 7 spd. Hub is for 8spd though so I'm waiting on some spacer to make it work. Also got rid of the suspension seatpost and the two pound seat.
>>
File: WP_20170614_10_07_08_Pro.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170614_10_07_08_Pro.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
Pic related
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.