[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that pros reach 40mph sprinting on flats with no tailwind,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: triathlete.png (830KB, 1024x442px) Image search: [Google]
triathlete.png
830KB, 1024x442px
Is it true that pros reach 40mph sprinting on flats with no tailwind, no vehicle to draft, and no other advantages? If so, how the fuck? That's over 64 km/h. Most I reach on flats with no tailwind is high 40s km/h.
>>
>>1077441
Well guess what, you're not a pro
>>
>>1077441
They can do it because going fast is their job.
>>
>>1077441
isn't it weird how people with no full time employment whos only goal in life is to go fast on a bicycle can go faster on a bicycle than people with other shit to do?
>>
File: mootxico.jpg (31KB, 965x440px) Image search: [Google]
mootxico.jpg
31KB, 965x440px
>>1077441
You pedal, then you pedal some more.
Wtf, man? I can reach 42.5 km/h riding an aluminum mtb on the shit roads of Mexico.
>>
>>1077441
You probably suck at going downhill.
>>
File: bert.jpg (5KB, 235x251px) Image search: [Google]
bert.jpg
5KB, 235x251px
and they can do it after a +250 km stage
>>
>>1077510
>EPO doesn't do anything but delay the burn in the legs.
>>
Tfw your no-cheating sprint is plateau'd at 59 km/h.
>>
It's doable, that's around 800-1100W (depending on how aero and efficient the bike is) to hold that speed. Certainly not easy but not impossible.
>>
>why am i not as fast as someone who cycles professionally
>>
>>1077441
Yeah watch tour de France they tell you the speed in the corner on NBC

The commentators were mentioning how they could pass cars going on the same road
>>
I can hit about 40 mph with a 53x11 on the flats with my road bike. I can hold this for a few miles before I burn out. I always end up running out of gearing with a 46t when in route to the trails.. I understand you think you are some eilte rider that 'knows' everything about biking but I think you are just weak as fuck.
>>
>>1077508
Why do you say that? This is a thread about sprinting on flats.
>>1077510
Eh, end of a long ride I can sprint just as fast as beginning of a ride, just maybe not hold it for as long and maybe suffer more for it.
>>
>>1077560
>>1077560
I've hit 34mph on a couple of occasions now, I cant hold it very long but considering I am a middle aged construction worker that doesnt have a ton of time to actually ride anymore I think its pretty good and I dont doubt that someone who is actually good at riding can do 40mph for a few miles.
>>
>>1077560
Copypasta

>>1077441
Guess what? You're an untrained, average, likely filthy casual rider, therefore you're weak and slow. They, on the other hand, are elite athletes, trained to as close to their genetic potential as they can get specifically for the sport of road cycling, it's literally their day job, and as such they're strong and fast. None of this takes rocket science to figure out.

You want to get faster? Get a copy of The Cyclists Training Bible, get a decent road bike designed and built for racing, get a power meter of some sort for it, and get a gym membership. Then plan on riding anywhere from 7 to 15 hours a week, depending on what week of the year it is, and spending the early Fall through early Winter in the gym, doing a cyclist-specific training regimen. If you have any talent for it at all and the mental toughness to keep to your training schedule, maybe in 5 to 10 years you'll be that fast. Or not.
>>
>>1077560
>I can hit about 40 mph with a 53x11 on the flats with my road bike. I can hold this for a few miles before I burn out.
Kek
>>
Highest I've gone in a Sprint on the flats is 36mph, on an 80's steel roadie with a few upgrades.
It's not hard for me to believe the speeds these guys get to, I'm definitely nowhere near that level, but when cycling is a full time job, what do you expect?
I've gotten to about 45mph going downhill and I'm definitely not comfortable going much faster than that, especially on public roads with car, bike, and foot traffic.
>>
My dad claims to have reached 55 mph on a full sus MTB while drafting a van down a very steep hill
>>
>>1077586
>You want to get faster? Get a copy of The Cyclists Training Bible
>You want to get faster? GO OUT AND FUCKING RIDE
fix'd
>>
>>1077596
This thread is about sprinting on flats without drafting. 55mph drafting a van down a steep hill isn't really anything special.
>>1077589
>36mph on flat on 80s steel roadie
If it was truly flat, not even slightly downhill, and no tailwind, then that's impressive. Unless you had your computer miscalibrated (or set to km thinking it was set to miles lol).
>>
i snorted what looked like a fair amount of amphetamines and im pretty sure i hit the speed limit of 60 kmh cause i was going the same speed as a car but i was really going like very hard for only a few hundred meters before i felt like i was gonna die and my heart was gonna explode
>>
They may not be drafting a vehicle but they're drafting their leadout train until there's only few hundred meters left.
>>
>>1077613
The computer was calibrated correctly, and I can't seem to beat that top speed on the flats yet.
But when I really get into it, and sort of hit that switch in my head, my legs do some cool shit.
>>
>pros
>they use smaller frames for added aero gains
>drafting behind other riders until very last moment
>>
>>1077441
Steroids.
>>
when i commute i ride about 25 - 30km/h max ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
https://gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

So 70kg rider needs 800W for 55km/h

Most decent amateurs can do that

Then pros can do 1200W which gets you to 40mph
>>
>>1077441
>why are pro cyclists faster than me?
>>
Don't they sprint way faster? I thought cipo could do 77 km/h
>>
just some more data from the giros last stage.
30km stage, average speed a bit over 50kmph.

i have hold 32kmph average for 20km on a 98 mtb. but that includes light stops, so i guess i was going at 40 mayhhbe? who cares
>>
>>1077833
lol, you don't know what you're talking about
>>
I live in Florida so I have nothing but flat land around here. I regularly hit 40mph on a sprint but I can only sustain it for a very short time and I'm usually very burned out after it. I imagine pros specifically train in sprints to get used to putting that amount of power out.

Also, it helps if you weigh less. I'm 5'10" 163 lbs at 9% body fat.
>>
>>1077834
correct me or point where i fucked it up, thanks.
>>
>>1077613
>This thread is about sprinting on flats without drafting. 55mph drafting a van down a steep hill isn't really anything special.

Excuse me but actually that is a very dumb and dangerous thing to do and is somewhat remarkable. You do 55 on a full sus mtb while blindly riding the ass of a van and get back to me
>>
File: embarrassing.png (256KB, 332x388px) Image search: [Google]
embarrassing.png
256KB, 332x388px
>>1077843
>I'm 5'10"
>>
>>1077441
>If so, how the fuck?
copious amounts of roids and other risky forms of juicing and $10k carbon space magic bikes.
>>
>>1077901
Go away /fit/
>>
>>1077827
>77km/h on flats with no tailwind and nothing to draft
lol
>>
>>1077869
I said it isn't anything special, I didn't say it's not dumb/dangerous. I hit 53mph down a somewhat steep hill without a vehicle to draft. Point is it wouldn't be hard to hit 55mph on a "very steep hill" while drafting a van. Suicidal? Sure. Difficult? Nope.
>>
>>1077441
if the sprint is exceptionally fast they hit 45mph
Cavendish said he hit 48mph but I don't know if I believe him

Chris Hoy went 48mph in velodrome
>>
>>1077759
40mph is 1500w

44.6mph is 2000w

guys like kittel and griepel go 2200w+ in sprints

small aero guys like cav and ewan can get away with 1500-1700w
>>
old ten speed
>>
>>1077560
with 23c tires you'd be spinning at 110 RPM, and you can hold 110 RPM for miles? TOPKEK
>>
>>1078888
>Cavendish said he hit 48mph but I don't know if I believe him
i believe he sprinted that fast, but i don't believe it was without a bit of pharma assist
also nice digits
>>
People have all sorts of fitness levels. And remember, these are professionals that put food on the table by riding a bike better than anyone else.

FWIF, I once hit 42 mpg on what I think was a flat. The rest of my ride was shit and I had to stay off the bike for the next two days.
>>
>>1077441
Sprints with leadout in the pros sometimes reach almost 50mph. 45-48 is standard.
>>
>>1078888
45 is pretty average for the front in the WT level sprints on the road.
>>
I can do that on a recumbent
>>
>>1077901
I´m 5`3
I can do 55km/h for a short time, I can sustain 38km/h for quite some time on my alloy bike with a relatively big frame.
(saddle ove handle bars)
>>
>>1077441
For 60 km/h 900 W is needed and for 70 km/h (elite road sprinters) almost 1500 W is needed. If you top out at below 50 km/h that's like around 500 W and means you're a filthy casual even weaker than me.

If you wonder how you can't do better you might describe your training program with details through the year and compare it to how The Cyclists Training Bible tells. Just like >>1077586 told.
>>
>>1083017
>(saddle ove handle bars)
Fucked it up, it is the opposite.
>>
>>1081582
You can't hold 110 rpm for miles?
>>
>>1083020
Not while in 53x11
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.