[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"threaded bottom bracket, alright!" https://yout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

"threaded bottom bracket, alright!"

https://youtu.be/A4wAeTk4wAU

In 2011 anyone with a threaded bottom bracket had a frame worth of being scrapped....

In 2017 the same people are now saying it's a luxury feature on luxury bikes?

I thought they said it was trash......

I also thought GCN suggest against steel road bikes period, doesn't matter if it was high end Reynolds cromoly

Sounds like they make up whatever the new hot shit is every 5 years.

What's next 7005 aluminum bikes they claimed that were trash in 2014 being the next cutting edge technology?
>>
I often wonder this, in all honesty they should make your de France self-supported. At least then the bikes they are calling cutting edge actually need to be able to survive the distance and will be more robust. "Cutting edge" in cycling just means 'racer' nowadays. What happened to solid durable bikes to last you a lifetime?
>>
>>1076753
Still widely available everywhere. Not all bikes are similar. If you're looking for race bikes don't be surprised that they can't take your touring gear. And don't be surprised if the touring bike feels heavy and sluggish compared to a race bike.

A lot of people want cutting edge race bike because they're fun to ride. They're light, agile and snappy. They go fast. Are there bikes out there that offer better everyday usability? Absolutely, however they aren't nearly as much fun to ride.

>race bikes can't survive the distance
'no'
>>
>>1076754
Gcn talks about race bikes road cyclocross etc

But race bikes or bikes that are raced or sportive in some manner.

So they bounce back and forth between promoting technologies and are largely inconsistent and what the "best" is at any given moment and will absolutely contradict whatever they had said in a few short years

Seemingly on who they happen to be promoting at any given moment
>>
>>1076759
Of course they do. Their whole business model is based on advertising.

>the state of sieg's English
>reddit spacing
>>
Press fit was never a "luxury" feature, it was just a concession to manufacturing limitations at the time and people put up with it. In 2011 people hadn't gotten fed up with the bullshit yet. Stop getting memed so hard by flash in the pan fads, you retard. Maybe you should go google china again, I heard it's a big country in Asia where some slant-eyes live. Nobody around here has ever heard of it.
>>
>>1076775
It's harder to make a press fit bb than it is to slap a steel English threaded tube and wrap it in carbon
>>
Aluminum fucking rules

The bearded idiots with their beer tits and their dumb political opinions who think aluminum is
"too harsh" and their slave-labor Surly is "authentic af" need to be flushed down the world's biggest toilet
>>
>>1076988
This
>>
File: 1496023921993.png (860KB, 1829x1644px) Image search: [Google]
1496023921993.png
860KB, 1829x1644px
>luxury item

fucking Freds
>>
>>1076752
>In 2011 anyone with a threaded bottom bracket had a frame worth of being scrapped....
literally no one

>In 2017 the same people are now saying it's a luxury feature on luxury bikes?
It's actually not. The price difference is next to nothing, they don't charge you extra for BSA vs BB30 on China carbon bikes. PF BBs still have the advantage for mating with huge oversize carbon tubes when trying to design for minimal weight, maximum stiffness, etc.

kys
>>
>>1077085
but the do argue it's a feature present almost exclusively on carbon bikes

nobody gives a shit about chinarello
>>
>>1076988
The people who use surlys for their intended use would find aluminum to harsh for that particular use. I can attest to the fact that there is a very large difference between touring on an aluminum bike vs a steel one. Like everything in cycling your just talking about marginal gains, and trading a little weight for a little comfort is a valid one in this case. Just because surlys are a hipster fad bike, dosnt mean the are shit.
>>
>>This. You appreciate a good steel frame anywhere that has shit cycling infra senpai
>>
>>1077174
On typical fat touring tyres there's no way one can feel the difference between steel and aluminum in terms of comfort.
>>
>>1077091
>but the do argue it's a feature present almost exclusively on carbon bikes
Because you can't easily put an aluminium sleeve in a carbon bike (it rots) and your can't cut gangs in carbon you blithering idiot.
>>
>>1077082
weeb
>>
>>1077206
Not to mention anyone who has ridden a touring frame on skinny tires knows they're built extra stiff with heavy gauge tubing so they don't flex under the weight on 80 extra pounds of cargo.
>>
>>1076752
they got paid a lot of money to do a series of videos to give the company advertisement
they're never going to say what they actually think of the bike and probably will never ride it when they've got high end bikes given to them for free
>>
Perhaps we need to start just riding more and learning from experience rather than adverts!
>>
>>1078078
Or just stop listening to, replying to and bumping the threads of the unmentionable faggot. He's a worse cancer than the SI autist.
>>
>>1077206

Perhaps on road, but when you're rolling on corrugated you can literally see the fork flexing even with 3" tyres.
>>
>>1076752
>In 2017 the same people are now saying it's a luxury feature on luxury bikes?
Yes,whenever I buy a bunch of m5 or m6 bolts for some miscellaneous purpose I feel damn luxurious,Everytime I buy some I think to myself "Haha I'm not one of those normalfags with their press-fit bolts"

But In all seriousness the bicycle industry is retarded af.
I would not be suprised if they indeed by 2018 start marketing 7005 or some other 7000 series alu as "new innovashun" "MUH STIFFNESS AND HARNESS" etc.

And GCN will get a gorrilion views on it when they cover it.
>>
>>1076752
GCN are total shills now
>>
>>1076988
THIS

I have loved every aluminum bike I have owned. My mountain bike and cruiser both have an excellent ride. All my road bikes have been steel in some form or another (one with a carbon fork) but I think aluminum is great. It's great having scratched paint that doesn't end up getting rusty. Aluminum is my top all around choice for the frame alone Not sure about alloy forks. There is nothing wrong with steel either, but it's not a must-have at all, and many of my most dependable bikes were aluminum. My old late 90s Pacific K-mart hardtail was really light and a great handling bike for the price. Especially if you have to buy a department store bike, it's the best option. You can get a 27 pound beach cruiser at Wal-Mart for like 90 dollars. That's like 10 pounds less than the Huffy model for 10 dollars more. Imagine that cost/weight difference on a high end bike.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.