[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the longest rail journey you've ever been on?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 14

File: Caledonian_Sleeper_Single_berth.jpg (72KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Caledonian_Sleeper_Single_berth.jpg
72KB, 640x480px
What's the longest rail journey you've ever been on? Ever slept on an overnight train? Share your experiences.

>London to Paris on Eurostar
>2 1/2 hours
>>
Melbourne to Sydney. cant remember how long but was over night
>>
3 days. Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago with my dad.
>>
File: 2015-03-12 20.14.33.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-12 20.14.33.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
1 night, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
>>
>>1073566
about 11 hours senpai
>>
>>1073549
Venice to Rome on Frecciarossa - just over 3.5 hours if I can remember correctly.

If you're counting journeys involving multiple transfers - I once took a series of regional trains in Italy from Venice up to Como that took me several hours (including the wait times at stations when making a transfer).
>>
>>1073549
Six days, Moscow to Ulaanbaatar in Summer 2008. Was quite nice, weird getting off the train at the end and trying to sleep without the rocking.
>>
>>1073549
Overnight coach class on "The Canadian" with VIA Rail in 1985 when I was 17. Calgary, AB --> Vancouver, BC. About 18 hrs. Cost about $180 CAD back then, about triple what Greyhound bus charged.

Slept lousy as I couldn't stretch out or lay down. Halfway in my journey I lost my left window seat so they could seat 4 companions together while I got moved to an aisle seat, so I sat in the rear dome car most of the time. Tried to sneak into a private room to crash out in but the conductor caught me. Enjoyed the trip though.
>>
Newcastle to Southampton was a slog by British standards and that was about 6 hours
>>
>>1073549
10 hours new York to montreal.
>>
>>1073549
Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle.
Took about 35 hours, but it it a beautiful ride.
>>
>>1073649
Was it worth the price? I've been thinking of doing that one
>>
I went from Kyoto to Tokyo on a shinkansen. It took 53 minutes.
>>
>>1073549
3 hours oxford to liverpool.
>>
>>1073651
if you're into scenery and don't mind subpar food and delays, its good
>>
>>1073549
Chicago to dc. 18hrs?
>>
>>1073549
LA to Vancouver on Amtrack

Forget how long, probably two days door to door.

Only train ride I've ever really been on besides a commuter.
>>
Kashgar to Xian (via Baoji with 1.5hrs transfer)
I think 51 hours all together - no bed either so stuck in a K-train hard seat the whole way.
AMA
>>
>Odessa to Berlin
>42 hours with a quick change of trains in Kiev and Warsaw
>couldn't sleep because rock hard beds and noisey
>starved to near death because dining cars don't exist on ukrainian trains
>>
>>1073677
why are you doing this to yourself?

also my longest was Paris to sicilia waaay back then. (22h trip)
>>
>>1073692
>why are you doing this to yourself?
Different guy, but I once took a 72 h bus ride.

When I got to my destination I met a guy who paid $80 for plain ride...
>>
>London to Edinburgh.
8 hours.
>>
>>1073695
Was that on a bus or what?

The trains are way faster...like 4 hours and a bit? (I would never subject myself to long distance buses)
>>
i spent 24hr at a hop out with some hardcore drunks 1/4mi from my living room

then i hopped on a train for 24hr, spent the morning passing through all the familiar places i had known with a completely different view, the evening riding through the sierra nevada with the wind in my face and the whole night awake staring up at the stars through desolate nevada. the next morning we spent a couple hours sitting there in the utah salt flats and then we hopped off to figure out what we would do next. turns out we almost rode into an rocky mountain (snow?) storm with hoodies and a tarp

then i spent the next 24hours watching people get hepatitis tattoos and smoke meth. i hopped on a next day flight to ny from there

a couple years later i rode an amtrak and spent the time staring out a scratched up window and/or talking to someones grandma
>>
>>1073549
Moscow to St. Petersburg overnight, and Moscow to Veliky Novgorod, also overnight.
>>
>>1073724
No, train. There was a delay both there and back.
First time there was a technical error and second time some idiot didn't want to get off the train.
>>
Regensburg to Münster 6-7 hours.
>>
File: KashiToXian.png (2MB, 1914x717px) Image search: [Google]
KashiToXian.png
2MB, 1914x717px
>>1073692
I'd come all the way from London on trains and hitchhiking overland, needed to get to HK for a flight out so took that train because it was Chinese holiday and every other sleeper and train apart from the direct had been fully booked. Had some fun times with the locals though, don't think its often they see a foreigner taking the slow 3rd class train.
Also seeing the scenery slowly change so much was cool.
>>
>>1073654
You are off by more than 60min.
>>
>>1073549
>Santiago de Compostella -> Paris -> Vienna
Too about 46 hours with a several hour wait in Paris.
>>
>>1073592
Are they still regularly disembarking passengers around Albury or has the shocking state of the track been fixed?
>>
>>1073549

California Zephyr from Oakland to Reno about 8hrs. Scenic trip over Donner Pass but I prefer the 4hr drive or the 53min gate to gate experience.
>>
0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds. cleaned up a few derailments tho

tfw choo choo virgin
>>
>>1073549
>What's the longest rail journey you've ever been on?
Practically the length of Sweden, from the middle of Skania in the very south to Abisko near the northern border. It's about 2000 km, or 1200 miles for you burgers. A mere 24h ride.
>Ever slept on an overnight train?
Yes. That was pretty much a given.
>>
Paris to Amsterdam during the night. Was slow as shit. Stood still more than actual riding.
Filled with junkies so we decided to sit in first class. No one cared. It was a horrible experience though.
>>
>>1073549
Seoul East (Cheongnyangni) to Gangneung in 1994 before they opened multiple tunnels through the Taebaek mountain range to straighten the line

10.5 hours
>>
>>1074090
>this drive costs $40 in gas round trip and you can stop when/where you want
>pay 3x as much for uncomfortable train
>welcometoamerica.avi
>>
Sping 2004, called for a z train, Roseville to Bakersfield. Uncle Pete in melt down mode. Hopped on at the yard office. Made it 3 miles west, stopped and sat for 15 hrs. No crew vans to pick us up, managers would not let us tie it down. Me and my hoghead took turns walking back to the yard to get food and what not. I slept most of the damn time....does that count op?
>>
I think the longest was from Varanasi to Delhi, mostly because there was a delay. I think it was about 15 hours or so, it should have been 13ish.

It was a sleeper train though, so it was fine. Rail travel in India was surprisingly comfy.
>>
>>1073549
Seattle to Chicago. 45 hours, give or take.

Want to do trans-siberian one day, but not non-stop.
>>
Beijing to Shanghai - 1987

Not a good experience.
The food was so bad it was inedible. Instead of eating the food served in the dining car, I subsisted off some mooncakes I bought before boarding.
The beds felt like bags of old socks slung into a hammock - so uncomfortable, I barely slept a wink all night.
The toilets were simply holes cut into the floor of the train. Looking down to see the tracks zipping by was creepy, not to mention dangerous. All it would have taken is one misstep to lose a foot.
>>
Stockholm-Abisko
It actually ends in Narvik, but I usually get off in Sweden right before the border to Norway

Can't remember how many hours. 16-17 I think. One time I did it alone, in a non-reclining chair, wouldn't recommend that. The last 4 hours are really beautiful.
>>
Omaha to Sacramento on the California Zephyr. I didn't sleep well, but fortunately the sleeping car attendant made a damn good cup of coffee. Food in the dining car was pretty good, and you meet a lot of nice people.
>>
>>1073549
Oceanside to Anaheim after riding my first century, 70miles :P
>>
Metz, France to Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia over about 21 hours and like five trains. Had a eurail pass while studying abroad and took a week to go skiing and see Prague. We just bought a bunch of alcohol and snacks and chatted the whole trip.
>>
Longest journey was Canberra to Adelaide. First train was Canberra to Sydney which took a couple hours, then changed trains. Slept overnight and early in the morning, the train stopped briefly at Broken Hill, took a nice shit in the toilet and then the train did the rest of the journey. Took a day and a bit.
>>
ÖBB nightjet from Zurich to Hamburg, about 12 hours since it first went to Berlin.
>>
>>1074395
This is how you realise the progress china made in 20 years.
>>
>>1074261
>Seattle to Chicago.

Same here. I lucked out in that we had to wait for the Portland cars in Spokane. So we crossed the Rockies during daylight instead of the middle of the night.

That's the only thing worth seeing. Because after that, it's all flat.

Just for the scenery, I've heard that the Zephyr (SF to Chi) is better.
>>
>>1073549
Orient Express: Great food, nice amenities, interesting people. But too many dead bodies.
>>
Hamburg to uh.. Albertville I think it was? Overnight.

I'd guess around 14-18 hours (you could tell me it was only 10 and I'd believe you though). Kind of awful but better than a fucking bus.
>>
Vancouver to New york with transfers in seattle and chicago
>>
>Suzhou - Chengdu
>14 hours
>About 2000 km
Train stopped often but rode about 300 km/h for long distances. A comfy shinkansen style train.
>>
On my first currently, Brisbane to Longreach
Unfortunately when I booked there were no sleeper cabins left so I'm stuck in "economy"
>>
File: cally train.jpg (338KB, 855x644px) Image search: [Google]
cally train.jpg
338KB, 855x644px
I took the Caledonian Sleeper from Glasgow Centra to London Euston a few months ago. Pic related - that was my cabin.

The journey wasn't planned well beforehand, and I needed to purchase the ticket on the same day of travel. However, the cost of my ticket was fully reimbursed to me, so I chose to travel by first class. It was fairly expensive - almost £200.

I arrived at Glasgow long before the train was ready for boarding. As a first class passenger I was able to wait in the Virgin lounge. This was an excellent experience - the lounge was empty apart from one other person who stayed there for ten minutes. So I had the whole place to myself, and I shamelessly stole as many of the complementary snacks and drinks as I could fit in my suitcase. There were comfortable sofas, as well as a laptop table with all manner of charging sockets and cables, and quality newspapers, and very nice ambient lighting.

It was scheduled to leave at 11.40pm and arrive just after 7am the next day. I boarded around 9pm. I was greeted by an agent who showed me to my cabin and explained to me information about the train and the journey. Inside my cabin I found a complementary bag of tat (a magazine, which I didn't read, some toiletries, which I didn't use, and some travelling socks, which I didn't try).

I had a whole cabin to myself. It's quite a small space and it would be difficult to share it with another traveller, especially if you both have lots of luggage. The bed was a bit too small for me and the lighting was a bit too harsh (although good for reading). Once the train got moving, it was noisy and I didn't get a good quality of sleep.

I did like the features in the cabin. You can open to blind to look outside, there is air conditioning and heating, there is a sink with running water, which worked well for washing myself, and also means you can take a piss without leaving your cabin, and there is an electrical outlet so you can charge your phone while you sleep.
>>
File: cally bed.jpg (385KB, 854x640px) Image search: [Google]
cally bed.jpg
385KB, 854x640px
>>1076171

The train arried in London much earlier than scheduled (shortly after 6) and a member of staff knocked on my cabin door soon afterwards. I wasn't able to sleep as much as I expected. However, they did bring me breakfast in bed. I had a bacon bap, which was good, but not substantial.

After disembarking, I was able to use the Virgin first class lounge at London Euston. This was nowhere near as good as the one in Glasgow. It was very busy, and full of business people. There wasn't anywhere quiet and private to sit and very little scope for taking any free food.

Overall I would say the service is very good, but I wouldn' trecommened it for everyone.

I have also taken to first class overnight sleeper coach from Edinburgh to London (which cost about £20). Unfortunately, this service has recently been cancelled. It was OK - you basically strap yourself into hammocks on the top floor of the bus. But the journey was much slower than the train.

Finally, I have also been on several long distance European Intercity trains. One in particlular I think was a 12-hour journey. At one point somewhere in Saxony, me and my girlfriend had a whole six-seat cabin to ourselves, so we of course closed the door and had lots of sex, paranoid that the ticket controller could pop his head in at any time. That was a good experience.
>>
Kazan-Sevastopol 2012, 3 days.
I just read some books, solved crosswords, ate and slept. I don't know about food quality in trains, because all of my food was from home. Toilets was bad, tap water had a taste of metal,
because it was an old soviet train (but they fixed it now, that's good).
>>
boJ9jbbUNNfktd78OOpsqOltutMc3MY1 Bandit 1
CV1DtqXWVFXTvM2F0k09SHz0YwRINYA9 Bandit 2
UmHadQclWmgdLOKQ3YNgjWxGoRMb5luK Bandit 3
pIwrPrtPN36QITSp3EQaw936yaFoFgAB Bandit 4
koReBOKuIDDepwhWk7jZC0RTdopnAYKh Bandit 5
>>
Washington DC to Orlando FL, 16 hours, comfy overnight bunk bed with a super cool attendant and a nice meal

Chatted with a professor who studies aging over breakfast, 9/10 would do again.
>>
File: 71616427.jpg (182KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
71616427.jpg
182KB, 1024x685px
>>1076325
>forgot pic
>>
I generally only get to take shorter railway journeys sadly, so the longest I've done is Dublin Connolly to Bray during a vacation, about 44 minutes. I do love trains but the only other ones I take regularly are here in Toronto, the Lakeshore West on GO and the subway lines, neither of which usually exceed 40 minutes.
>>
>>1073549
I've slept seven times on overnight trains in the 1990s. Only one of those was in a sleeping car, and that was the joint longest on the Ghan returning from Alice Springs to Adelaide.

I caught the Broken Hill to Sydney train, and not long afterwards spent 3 consecutive nights on trains travelling Murwillumbah-Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide.

And one time in England I got a bit of sleep on the train from York to Manchester to Leeds. I hadn't intended to catch that train, but I'd missed the last train back to London and couldn't find anywhere to stay overnight, but the train was running and I had a train pass.
>>
>>1074611
There are still trains like that in china though, try taking a train with just a number designation or a low grade T/K-train and it's a very similar experience apart from everyone's got iPhones now
>>
File: IMG_20170523_082834.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170523_082834.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
I'm travelling right now and recently took a K-train from Beijing to Nanning. 36,5 hours on hard seat with a bunch of Chinese people. Was pretty comfy but we expected the ride to be 27 hours, so the final ten hours went by pretty slow.
>>
>>1073549
Osaka to Kumamoto
wanted to book a flight but it was all full
>>
File: images.jpg (36KB, 556x256px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
36KB, 556x256px
From Cuautitlan to Buenavista in the Suburban train in Mexico City, it was like an hour long
>>
>>1074084
The track is usable the whole way now, although there's still straight/almost straight sections with snails pace speed limits

Last time I did the trip, about 6 hours out of melbourne we were stuck doing 80kmh for about an hour
>>
Nagoya to Shingu, 7 hours. From Nagoya to Ise (the midpoint) was on a normal train, and then from Ise down to Shingu it was a "one-man ressha" (one engine, one car, one conductor who also takes the tickets) and we c r a w l e d.

>>1073595
I'm dying to do this trip.
>>
Amtrak from central Illinois to New Mexico, about 20 hours. Tons of Amish on train, couldn't sleep well because seats only tilt so far. Ac blasting all night and no blanket, about froze.
>>
Joensuu-Helsinki, about 9 hours. Must have been 20 years ago.
>>
File: portugal.jpg (391KB, 1536x935px) Image search: [Google]
portugal.jpg
391KB, 1536x935px
>>1073549
CP Intercity
>Walked two miles from the lisbon airport to the train station
>Take a 3 hour train ride to the north of portugal
>Walk 4 miles to my relatives house

I do this in the summer every year with my military bag on my back.
>>
>>1073549
San Diego to Connecticut. Four trains, had a sleeping car room for the first leg (LA to New Orleans). Took about a week; great way to see Burgerland.
>>
>>1079734
Was it a private sleeping room? Do they mix sexs?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.