[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is this truck cancer even allowed?! You see the long convoy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (183KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183KB, 960x540px
How is this truck cancer even allowed?!

You see the long convoy of hundreds of cargo containers lined up in a row for kilometers?

ISN'T THIS THE PURPOSE OF A TRAIN?!
>>
>>1071690
Yes, it is. And in the greatest country on God's green Earth, we actually run some fuckin' trains. 10,000 ft. double stacked pigs, 23,000 ton coal trains, and mile long grain trains. You euro pricks struggle to run 60 car unit ore trains and let your roads end up clogged with unnecessary trucks.
>>
>>1071711
But that is clearly an american highway.
>>
>>1071690
Rail heads to last miles, because rails don't go the last mile!
>>
Massachusetts is like that, they keep closing CSX yards so there's never anything coming through on track. I-90 on the other hand can get mobbed with trucks. I'm trying to get a job for CSX too, but where I live its hard to bwcause business isn't really around here
>>
u mad op?
>>
File: 1435429658233.jpg (45KB, 737x758px) Image search: [Google]
1435429658233.jpg
45KB, 737x758px
>>1071741

Pretty mad, yah.

These trucks are also mostly driven by Pajeets and alcoholics, so they cause constant accidents and deaths on the highways.

>>1071719

It's the largest highway in North America: the 401 in Canada.

>>1071739

What is (((their))) endgame by pushing this tuck cancer?
>>
>>1071739
>Working for CSX
>Thinks closing yards is sympotmatic of falling rail traffic
The business is changing. Consolidate switching, reduce maintenance costs, run long haul freight is what the name of the game is now.
>>
>>1071690
It's going to get worse real quick when automated trucking takes over. Right now trucking is limited because of drivers. When drivers are no longer necessary, we will see a huge increase in the number of trucks on the highway.
>>
>>1071773
>>>1071690 (OP)
>It's going to get worse real quick when automated trucking takes over. Right now trucking is limited because of drivers. When drivers are no longer necessary, we will see a huge increase in the number of trucks on the highway.

Shitposting is going to get worse real quick, when automated shitposting takes over. Right now shitposting is limited because a real lack of brains. When shitposting with a brain is no longer necessary... wait... that is what this is all about...
>>
>>1071746
>These trucks are also mostly driven by Pajeets and alcoholics, so they cause constant accidents and deaths on the highways.

you are *lot* dumber than you look.
>>
Few days ago I witnessed 3 trucks passing each other, blocking every lane. I bet they thought it was funny.
>>
>>1071690
Other than a train these containers head to different destinations.
>>
>>1071815
Nah. As a former truck driver I can tell you they almost certainly thought it was annoying. They probably all had speed limiters and neither of the slower two wanted to slow down for 20 seconds to let the faster ones pass. My first company was speed limited to 104km/h (64 mph), which is a nightmare on most freeways when a lot of trucks are limited to 62 mph. Second company was limited to 115km/h (71 mph) though. It's nice being able to keep up with traffic.
>>
>>1071890
>delta v ~ 3 km/h
>be a general dick to everyone on the road just so you save, at most, 3% of your time

can't wait for automation
>>
>>1071902
It's actually pretty important to pass whenever possible. $1000 late fees on schedules only possible by speeding are a pretty good incentive.

Also protip: self-driving trucks are a meme; you'll be waiting until your deathbed. Trucks are still my fallback job if shit goes bad because it's impossible to replace drivers with current and near-future technology.
>>
File: Tesla-Semi-truck-nikola-one.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla-Semi-truck-nikola-one.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>1071906
>dicks justifying being dicks by others' dickery

I know it's tough, especially when you run over that family because you had to keep driving for 22 hours on account of your contractor...

aahh, just around the corner
>>
>>1071906
Isn't it also a lot to do with fuel efficiency? With such big engines and heavy vehicles you want to be slowing and accelerating as little as possible.
>>
>>1071906
>self-driving trucks are a meme
The first cars to be automated in large scale are long haul trucks.
>>
>>1071914
Yeah, that's also true. For most drivers though, unless the company complains or has a policy for it, time is more important. The fuel cost gets rolled into the fee charged to the customer based on previous runs and expectations. The late fees on the other hand can't be avoided except by not being late. For reference: I averaged 30-40 L/100km depending on the truck and load and nobody ever said a thing. Climbing mountains of course kills fuel economy - 100-130 L/100km, but descending balances it out somewhat as the fuel flow is shut off.

>>1071916
You're missing the point. There are no self-driving vehicles that can handle anything beyond clean, dry well-marked pavement. Within cities where turning right requires 3 lanes? Unlikely. For freeways in summer and good weather, sure they can do it. The problem is that good conditions like that don't exist enough to remove drivers entirely except on dedicated shorter routes where the weather can be accurately predicted for the journey. Then there's all of the non-driving tasks that an automated truck simply lacks the capability of performing. Daily inspections, road-side repairs, paperwork, inspecting the cargo, making sure weights are legal, and fixing it if not, etc. And good luck convincing any shippers to pay for infrastructure upgrades at their facilities. Many have packed gravel and dirt lots.

The vast majority of trucks are used in ways that do not fall within the niche that a self-driving truck can fill. At present, and for the foreseeable future, they are only useful when a company needs to move product between it's own warehouses with it's own trucks. As soon as a third party is added, someone needs to be there for legal reasons. Today, the driver is responsible for ensuring the load is secure and legal. With an automated truck, the carrier is responsible as there's no driver to take the blame. Shippers don't want that responsibility either. This is especially true for flatbeds.
>>
File: GERMAN-FREEDOM!.gif (23KB, 774x774px) Image search: [Google]
GERMAN-FREEDOM!.gif
23KB, 774x774px
>>1071890
In Europe they are only allowed to drive 80km/h.
So they sometimes are like 200km/h slower than cars wich are overtaking them.
You get used to it, but if you do this the first time it is weird to have a ⌂V >150kmh and a distance of about 1m to a truck while overtaking it in a corner...
>>
>>1071922
The only people who actually believe that self-driving trucks are going to replace drivers within the next few decades are those with no experience in the industry. Anyone with an understanding of the reality of the trucking industry only sees the additional costs and problems associated with removing the only person for 1000km that can represent the carrier - and be their scapegoat.

All that said, removing a lot of the bad drivers would be a good thing. It's too easy right now for retards to get behind the wheel, though that's due to the shortage of drivers, so many companies take whoever they can get if they don't crash in a 30-minute pre-hire road test. If you want to see what I mean, just look up videos of Swift trucks on Youtube. Swift is a joke.

>>1071925
That speed difference is terrifying. California was bad enough with cars going 130 and trucks 100 with a 90 limit. Of course, you guys have much better training than here (Canada) or the US. Also it's called speed difference, not Delta-V, which is completely different.
>>
>>1071928
⌂ means difference, V means velocity...
>>
>>1071922
>>1071928
>no industry ever changes at all
>underestimating the speed of technological advancements
There are going to be massive changes in a lot of industries coming up that will catch people who think like you off guard and leave them unemployed. You may not see the changes that are going to happen now and they might not even be viable with the current business models. However someone is going to figure out a new way of doing things that causes the entire industry to adapt and change.

Self driving cars are already a thing, even ones that can handle city traffic and adverse weather conditions. They are not some sci-fi dream anymore but reality. They're not going to entirely remove truck drivers. Self driving truck driving down some muddy road just wide enough to fit the truck to get a load of logs isn't going to happen soon. Self driving trucks also aren't very practical for last mile service if you're counting on the drivers to unload and deliver the goods. However there is nothing stopping long haul warehouse to warehouse trucks from being automated.
>>
>>1071932
>⌂ means difference
Ah, I read that as 'delta' because it's so similar to a triangle.

>>1071933
>Self driving cars are already a thing
Yes, and it's a lot easier to automate a 14 foot long rigid body vehicle than it is a 70 foot long articulated one. Adverse weather is still a problem not even close to being solved. The cameras and computers just aren't capable of the same level of perception that a human driver is. Not yet, at least. Remember that Tesla that went underneath the side of a semi-trailer? Clear sunny day and it thought the trailer was the sky. A human doesn't make that mistake.

Warehouse to warehouse, sure, I agree. As long as both are owned by the same company as the truck, or have some liability agreement in place. Especially in the southern US where weather will be less of an issue. As it stands though, it's far easier and cheaper for the companies to just pay a driver and have them take the fall when something goes wrong.

One thing is for sure, though. Self driving trucks, or cars, will not within our lifetimes be replacing drivers anywhere real winter exists. I'd pay to see an affordable vehicle put on it's own tire chains. The Rockies will continue to be dominated by human drivers for a very long time.
>>
>>1071945
>⌂ means difference
>Ah, I read that as 'delta' because it's so similar to a triangle.
>>
>>1071945
You do know that delta means change or difference, right?
>>
>>1071945
>Tesla vs. trailer
And that is why Tesla never said it'd be safe to use the assistant as full-auto autopilot.
This is the same reason burgers need warning notes not to dry their pets in a microwave.

>>1071914
>slowing and accelerating as little as possible
Wellll what does that remind me of?
>>
>>1071922
The amount of fuel we get through hauling shit really is insane.
>>
>>1071961
Do you know how much fuel a train burns? Ridiculous amounts. About 1,000 gallons of diesel running an empty coal for about 200 miles in my area where it's mostly flat. Double that, at least, for a load.
>>
>>1071946
It can also mean change, which it does in the context of 'Delta-V'. Delta-V means a change in velocity, or acceleration, of a single object; not a difference in velocity of two objects. His usage was incorrect in this post: >>1071902

>>1071955
True, but my point was that the technology still fails even in good weather. Bad weather is simply worse. It has a long way to go before it can reliably replace a human at the controls; and until that point, the driver's greater versatility will almost certainly outweigh the costs of paying a driver. Again, all of this can, and likely will change. Just not anywhere near as soon as you think.
>>
>>1071711
the train system in the US sucks and is outdated
>>
>>1072002
The USA moves more freight by rail than any other country. The N. American rail network is the envy of other nations when it comes to moving goods, resources, and products, but it's privately owned for the most part. Thus it sheds unprofitable segments like passenger service.

As they say, you don't know what you don't know.
>>
>>1072014
Top of the shit pile is still shit, and it's way too expensive to make less shitty. The freight by rail system will be gone in a decade
>>
>>1072002
Wrong, yuropoor
The US has the world's best and most extensive freight rail system. We suck with passenger rail, but certainly not freight. Even in Europe, which is praised for high speed and passenger rail, has way more trucks on the highways than the US has, mostly due to a more limited freight network.

>>1072028
>The freight by rail system will be gone in a decade
And what, replaced by even more trucks clogging up the roads? What is your proposal for moving massive amounts of freight on land? Sci-fi pneumatic tubes?
>>
>>1071996
>Delta-V means a change in velocity, or acceleration, of a single object; not a difference in velocity of two objects. His usage was incorrect in this post: >>1071902 (You)

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect.
"Delta v" literally means a difference of two velocities, be them scalar or vector, of one object or n objects. And it does not mean a change of accelaration, that is usually denoted as "delta a" and there can most certainly be a difference of velocities at constant accelaration.

Look, I don't wont to be rude, I'm certain you know your trade, but don't be so sure about what the mechatronic and IT sectors are capable of.
>>
>>1072048
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v_%28physics%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v

Lots of terms have different real meanings from the literal one. This is one of those. Delta-V is a measure of acceleration, not a comparison. Too lazy and tired to go beyond Wikipedia. You can go further yourself.
>>
>>1071911
Since when is Tesla profitable?
>>
>>1071945
>Remember that Tesla that went underneath the side of a semi-trailer? Clear sunny day and it thought the trailer was the sky. A human doesn't make that mistake.
No, a human tells the responding officer "I was just checking Whats App and they just came outta nowhere! One second I'm minding my own business and the next there's blood and screaming!" and it doesn't end up getting picked apart by an army of armchair trucking experts because "these things happen, nothing could have been done it was an accident"

Either that or the human just dies, or suppose he's literally got his face covered in cocaine and gin, then, maybe, he gets thrown in jail. In any case you and I don't debate it on the internet.

You can squeal and squeal but commercial drivers are going to be gone in 15 years, like Blockbuster Video
>>
>>1071945
What's important with self driving vehicles is not the one incident where they go wrong, but the overall lower failure rate.
Once self driving cars become safer than humans they start saving real lives. They combat the most common causes of accidents- inattentiveness, fatigue, distractions, intoxication. So in reality you'd see a rollout where they are 10 times safer than human drivers. Now, that would mean a thousand people would still die on the road each year, but 9000 people wouldn't.
It's difficult to argue that 9000 more people should die every year.
>>
>>1072086
Depends how many deserved to die.
>>
>>1072086
Statistically, they are already safer per passenger*km if I'm not mistaken.
>>
I always see lumber trucks from Maine here in Florida or even Walmart trucks from California.
>>
>>1071791
How do you see someone throw your computer screen?
>>
>>1071690
You need trucks to transport the cargo from the train yard though.
>>
File: tkm.jpg (90KB, 747x421px) Image search: [Google]
tkm.jpg
90KB, 747x421px
>>1072014
>>1072039

I'm just gonna post this again.
>>
>>1072028

While freight rail traffic is still increasing? This is simply mad.
>>
>>1071734
Then why so many sleeper cabs that drive cross country?
>>
>>1072028

And what's going to replace it, genius? Do you think the Panama Canal is just going to make trains obsolete? The expanded Panama Canal is just going to reduce the effective monopoly LA/LB have on Asian container traffic; you still need trains to carry those containers from the port of entry into the rest of the country.
>>
>>1073961
Time sensitive cargo. Trains take time to load and move out, and if the need came up out of nowhere and you need it done "now", it's much easier and quicker to just hire a truck.
>>
File: spiraltunnels.jpg (223KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
spiraltunnels.jpg
223KB, 620x465px
>>1071972
Yeah but look at the weight they're pulling. Aren't they more efficient than a semi truck?
>>
>>1074002
Significantly. Almost everything else is more efficient than a truck. The only advantages trucks have are speed, door-to-door service and the ability to go wherever there is a road. Of course, these usually outweigh the cost in North America.
>>
File: 1495158073756.jpg (177KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
1495158073756.jpg
177KB, 620x465px
>>1074002
why
>>
>>1074066
cause its not flat.

do i win? i know shit about trains lolololololols
>>
>>1074067
If only we had the means to pick up dirt somewhere and put it somewhere else, think where human civilization would be right now!
>>
>>1074068
Are you really so autistic, you don't understand cost optimisation?
>>
>>1074066

It's a spiral tunnel. As you come out of it you pass the tail end of your own train going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUGbUKFuUsg

>>1074068
If you have a better way to move 50 million pounds up a mountain pass, I'm sure the railroad companies are all ears.
>>
File: 800px-KickingHorseModell.jpg (158KB, 800x934px) Image search: [Google]
800px-KickingHorseModell.jpg
158KB, 800x934px
>>1074192
>It's a spiral tunnel. As you come out of it you pass the tail end of your own train going in.

Yes, It reduces the grade in Golden BC. Nice picture...
>>
>>1071911

To make a cross country trip it only needs a container full of batteries.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.