[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought the B17 narrow saddle almost a month ago. I'm thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: 5036653-BRN00.jpg (256KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
5036653-BRN00.jpg
256KB, 2500x2500px
I bought the B17 narrow saddle almost a month ago. I'm thinking of returning it and asking for my money back.

I previously used the stock Masi saddle that came with my Masi Giramondo and it was perfect. I ride a fuck ton of KM with it, though, since I use my bike for everything and it started to rip and look terrible.

Since every cyclist I know reccommended me to use a Brooks saddle I fell for the meme and bought one.

So far:

>it's uncomfortable as fuck
>my balls are constantly touching the front rivet, so that I have to be moving my ass around all the time
>it's impossible to set it level, since when I turn the screws on the seat clamp it automatically shifts up (due to my bike size, I need to use it as far up front as possible)
>I can always feel the front rivet and the metallic parts on the back
>I never had issues with chaffing before and I'm having it now
>that "hammock" effect makes me feel like I'm sinking on the saddle
>it messed up with my bike fit and now I can't find my perfect seat height again (I didn't move the seat tube at first, but it seems like it's higher than my other saddle)

Did I fall for the Brooks meme or does it get better? I've cycled 300km on it so far and I've used the proofide and it's all shit. I wanted to buy another stock Masi saddle but I don't find them for sale anywhere.

Should I return it?
Should I suck trap cocks?
>>
>>1071481
I mean, Brooks makes lots of different saddles. You can still fall for the meme and find one that is comfortable and supports your sit bones. If you're having so much discomfort, you definitely need to find a different saddle, whether it's hipster Brooks shit or not.
>>
Most people position Brooks saddles completely wrong and I was one of them for a long time. When its setup correctly most of your weight should be on your sit bones with little pressure forward of them. Everything you mention is an indication that it isn't positioned correctly. Your sit bones need to be right at the back of the saddle without resting on the rear rail, your balls should be no where near the front rivet.

If you are too far forward you are supported by your taint area which causes chaffing and numbness. So the saddle probably needs to go forward a lot, like 2-3 cm. Moving it that far forward will mean you are sitting on a higher part of the saddle, so you will need to lower your post to compensate.

One nice thing about Brooks saddles is that they are really slick and they tell you when they aren't in the right position by making you sink in the middle, or slide off the back. You aren't sinking because the saddle is low in the middle or the nose is too far down, its because the pedaling motion is pulling you to where your legs want the saddle to be. The rails are very short on Brooks saddles so it may not even be possible to get it in the right position with the seatpost you have. For one of my bikes I had to swap a seatback post for a straight one.

For a Brooks saddle in the correct position you want it level, no need to angle it upward. Getting it level is a pain in the ass unless you have a 2 bolt style seatpost for fine adjustments.

Also go easy on the proofide otherwise the leather can prematurely stretch out, requiring the saddle to be laced.
>>
File: up ur butt.jpg (146KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
up ur butt.jpg
146KB, 800x450px
>>1071481
>my balls are constantly touching the front rivet, so that I have to be moving my ass around all the time
Sounds like you're sliding forward, which means that the saddle is positioned wrong. The nose should be tilted slightly up so that the place where you sit is level with the ground. Pic related.
>I never had issues with chaffing before and I'm having it now
Yeah that's because Brooks has sharp chamfering. The solution is to lace the saddle.

But yeah Brooks is memeshit and the only real reason to get one is for aesthetics. I think that Fizik and Terry make far better saddles.
>>
>>1071481
>my balls are constantly touching the front rivet

You're sitting on it very very wrong.

Also,
>that "hammock" effect makes me feel like I'm sinking
>on an unbroken B17

I call lies, post a pic of your saddle on your bike.
>>
The narrow saddles are the meme. You should have gotten the regular wide b17, simply because that's how your ass fits into them.
>>
Well no shit. Why did you buy some hipster fuck saddle that throws 100 years of R&D about cycling ergonomics out the window?
>>
>>1071534
Did they spend 100 years looking at my ass. Finding the right seat is a ton of trial and error and what works for some dosnt work for all. Ive done 5000 miles on a brooks. I wasn't thrilled by it. I think I just have a very particular ass. Although the brooks wasn't comfortable it was still the most comfortable I've used. Somewhere out there, there is a seat that fits my bum, somewhere.
>>
>>1071481
You've never owned a brooks, pleb.
>>
>>1071481
>tfw selle italia slr 135g fits my bones perfectly

Both companies are well over 100yo, but only one still does saddles.
>>
If you want to leather saddle that you don't have to ride 1K miles to break in try Selle Anatomica, only the most hipster of the hipster meme connoisseurs would be able to tell
>>
File: IMG_0848.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0848.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1071486
Thanks, that's helpful. I decided to pay for a bike fit so as to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
>>1071496
Nice baiku. Is it yours? What tape are you using?
I'm pretty sure my saddle is tilted upwards, don't you think?

>>1071525
Here's the pic. As I mentioned on the OP, I have a Masi Giramondo.
I can return it and get a Selle Italia C2 gel (and still have some CAD 70 to spend on tyres or other stuff)
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-844/C2-Gel-Flow-Saddle

>>1071589
Pic related.
And that's not an explanation of why a Brooks is comfortable, that's just you saying "I'm secure, please like me because of saddle brand".

>>1071665
Selle Anatomica appeared as a facebook ad for me. This one is on sale. Have you used it yourself? How would you compare it to other saddles?
>>
>>1071792
You don't even know how to adjust your saddle properly, stop complaining.
>>
>>1071792
I have an X-series. Most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden.
>>
>>1071792
Your saddle is pointing up on a road bike, that's gonna make it suck, at least level it then work on your saddle height.

As for Selle Anatomica vs Brooks they work exactly opposite, Brooks gives you a hard leather saddle you need to soften with proofide and riding until its formed to your ass and gets comfy, Selle Anatomica gives you a soft leather saddle that is comfy from the start but will sag over time, you tighten it with a screw on the nose and like that it keeps stretching until it's set.
>>
>>1071481
>>my balls are constantly touching the front rive
Given that you don't even know how to properly fucking sit on a saddle, it's no wonder you don't like your B17.
>>
>>1071797
>>1071898
Y'all don't know shit about a proper Brooks set up. Its an old style, so it needs to be pointed up a bit to get a proper fit. Probably not as extreme as the pic admittedly, but some is comfy AF.
>>
>>1072000
>it's not wrong but it's wrong
Yeah, fuck off idiot.
>>
>>1071898
as I mentioned on the first post, whenever I tighten the clamp bolt the saddle automatically goes up and I can't avoid it. If I move the saddle backwards in order to try to avoid it, then the whole bike fit gets screwed up and I would need to buy a shorter stem extension to compensate for that. I had it just perfect with the stock saddle. Also, that's a bad angle and make it look like it's even more tilted.

>>1071984
It's a B17N. And, wow, man, it's amazing you know how I sit on my bike even though you have 0 info about it. Cool. I wish I was so superior like you.

>>1072000
I've read that it's supposed to bit a upwards. As I mentioned in the OP and I'm still repeating, I didn't want it to be that tilted but I can't avoid because of the previously mentioned reasons.

I will probably return it tomorrow and get a Selle Italia. Thanks for everybody that suggested the Selle Anatomica, I'll consider that for my next purchase.

And to all Brooks fanbois there: that saddle is beautifully made and I understand anybody who buys one. It doesn't seem to be working for me. I was riding it today again and, in any ocasion, the rivet makes pressure on my urethra and, after some 20-25 minutes on the bike, I feel the need to pee. I can't think of an immediate solution for that. Maybe I will try a different model someday or on a different bike, but that one is just way too uncomfortable for me.

And, also, one more thing. I live in Vancouver and it's always raining in that fucking city. It's absolutely ridiculous how much and how frequently it rains here (in aveage, 160 days per year) and I'm always worried about the saddle being damaged, because, from what I've been told, it's not ideal to ride the saddle with the nylon cover for long periods

>>1072007
no you
>>
>>1072052
just point it down more before tightening the clamp, are you brain damaged?
>>
>>1072073
As I've mentioned 5 times before, as I tighten the clamp, the saddle goes up. Pointing it down was the first solution I've tried and, of course, it didn't fucking work.

Do you even own a Brooks saddle or you're just talking out your ass? I've googled and found out that this is a recurring issue with them, particularly if you need to clamp it close to the rear end. A solution would be to use an old-style Campagnolo seat clamp, since, apparently, that automatic, forced tilt doesn't happen with it.
>>
>>1072132
I've never had this problem with of the saddle bending up when on the clamp, but then i've never had to install a saddle that needs bending the rails to fit, which sounds like what you are doing.
>>
>>1072132
The problem doesn't seem to be the saddle but the seatpost. Get a new one that fits the railings and you'll be fine.
I have to add a warning against Brooks saddles: I want to like them and had a Brooks Professional for about one year and 7k km. Then the frame broke and Brooks chickened out of the warranty by saying I didn't take enough care of the leather. They concluded this because I never tightened the saddle. The saddle was fine, the leather in good condition and I simply didn't tighten it because it didn't need tightening.
End of story: Had the saddle welded, broke again, then bought a Gyes G1 saddle with stronger frame, thicker leather at a lower price.

tl;dr: Brooks saddles are awesome if they don't break and you expect to be treated fairly by Brooks customer service.
>>
On my three bikes I have two B17 and one Flyer, which is basically a B17. For me the optimal setup is to have the saddle nose level, which brings the rear flange up a little so you can push back into it.

Having the nose up causes problems, and as you sink into the saddle due to flex having the nose level with the tail means your taint gets pressure. But having the nose slightly below the rear means that pressure goes all on the ass.
>>
>>1072132
>As I've mentioned 5 times before, as I tighten the clamp, the saddle goes up.
This isn't a problem with the saddle. This is either a problem with your seatpost clamp, or your own personal disfunction.
>>
What's a good saddle for a skinny lad with a boney ass with little padding?
>>
>>1073011
The seatpost that came with my Trek 520 was kind of useless in that regard. There was a center plastic piece and two metal end caps that grab the saddle rails. When making angle adjustments you had to be careful to ensure you were rotating both end caps AND the plastic piece and not just the end caps which is easy to do. Precise angle adjustments were difficult to perform with that post and no amount of tightening could keep the angle from changing if you came down hard on the saddle.

Single bolt seatposts should just go extinct.
>>
File: 20170513_160421.jpg (1MB, 1218x1444px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_160421.jpg
1MB, 1218x1444px
>>1072132
>Do you even own a Brooks saddle

I own two.
>>
>>1072161
Did you ask them how not caring for the leather is supposed to make the frame break?
>>
good goy
>>
I almost fell for the brooks meme but ended up with a selle anatomica instead

I do not regret this decision
>>
>>1073114
I did. They simply ignored me. Never heard from them again.
Will never buy a Brooks again.
>>
>>1071481
>old saddle was perfect
>buys overpriced meme hipster shit to replace it instead of identical proven saddle

:thinking:
>>
>>1071481
I'm constantly hearing about people getting saddle sores from riding 100 km a month, and how you need to use chamois cream to avoid getting them.

I fucking KEK at you fucking weekend warrior plebs, I've been riding my bike 100 km a day for 6 months straight while wearing trekking pants and I've never had any problem whatsoever, I ride a Brooks B17 and it's easily the most comfortable saddle ever.

/thread
>>
>>1073192
I spend 18 hours a day grinding my anus on a Best Made Co American Ass Hatchet sharpened weekly on a Gransfors Bruks Ass Hatchet grinding stone and I have never had a saddle sore because I am a Real Cyclistâ„¢

People who have different experiences than me are bad people and should be rounded up and gassed
>>
>>1073194
This applies to everyone ITT so far.
>>
I've done a few 200km and the only part of me that wasn't wrecked afterwards was my ass thanks to brooks.
>>
Anyone running brooks grips? Are they comfy? I like the bar tape but I'm wondering if the grips would be OK on a MTB (jones bar). How do they go with that sweat?
>>
>>1073647
Ergons are the Brooks of grips.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.