[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE FINAL BATTLE what is the best chain lube? This thread decides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 20

File: IMG_0088.jpg (57KB, 525x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0088.jpg
57KB, 525x300px
THE FINAL BATTLE
what is the best chain lube?
This thread decides once and for all.
>>
wd40
>>
Triflow makes my chain the quietest, but its also a dirt magnet.
>>
Wax.
>>
cum
>>
you should never lube your chain becuase it will damage the precious internal factory lube

just ride until your chain starts squeaking and then throw out the entire bike and buy a new one
>>
Mayo
>>
File: prod134012_IMGSET.jpg (15KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
prod134012_IMGSET.jpg
15KB, 500x505px
This shit is expensive but worth every penny.
>>
>>1068486
My boyfriend also thinks it's the best lube. also least likely to cause allergic reactions on thin perineal skin.
>>
File: IMG_20170429_083225629.jpg (1MB, 1002x1336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_083225629.jpg
1MB, 1002x1336px
>>1068453
RIP epic troll thread

Can't even come to my own senses wheter it's Tri-Flow or Finish Line... or Road Rage... Only thing I know is a freshly oiled chain is so sexy I forget about brands

I'm poor and cheap so I use what I use for my motorcycle and car (timing chain) and clean lube the bicycle weekly. I spray it onto paper towel then use a toothbrush to spread it. Wipe off excess of course. Pic related, bottle is so old, it's lived through 3 bicycles, 2 motorcycles, and 4 cars. Still going, still works
>>
Zefal dry lube
>>
I use muc-off because IT'S FUCKING SCENTED
>>
Engine oil works if you use a little bit and wipe it off really good. All bike specific lubes are just rebranded automotive lubricants, Just read the MSDS sheets.
>>
File: squirt-girl.jpg (34KB, 497x497px) Image search: [Google]
squirt-girl.jpg
34KB, 497x497px
>no squirt
>>
File: ttw7z.jpg (99KB, 1011x476px) Image search: [Google]
ttw7z.jpg
99KB, 1011x476px
I prefer an all-natural, organic, artisanal, custom-blended chain lubricant made of crushed black slugs, hot tallow, and beeswax. Add some pine tar for wet conditions.

But more seriously, I've used many different brands of chain lube... in dry conditions I've not done any scientific tests,
but Rock n' Roll, Finish Line Dry, Dumonde Tech, Boeshield T9 all seem to work well in the dry and dusty conditions that predominate where I live. For wet conditions (read: what I put on my commuter's chain), I use Finish Line Wet because I bought a bottle of that a couple years ago and still have some left, it's thick and messy, but I like it because it holds up extremely well to being exposed to snow and rain. I hear really good things about the Rock and Roll Extreme (blue cap) lube for wet conditions too but haven't personally tried it.

When asked this question in person I tell my customers that it's less important which lube they choose, as long as they pick one and use it correctly (wipe chain, apply lube, remove excess) on a regular basis.
>>
>>1068522
im more or less a finish line dry user simply because that was what the bike shop had when I was there, it does work pretty well for the dry and dusty areas I ride in too, I reapply it about every 100 miles or so when the chain starts to get a little noisy... are you getting similar results?
>>
are these even real?
>>1068453
>>
>>1068523
yep, I find that the Finish Line Dry will typically last me 100-150 miles, past that point it doesn't take much more than riding through a puddle to start getting squeaks.
>>
>>1068453
Finish line dry for bikes that are going to get muddy, finish line wet for bikes that never see dirt
>>
>>1068515
you mean except for dry lube?
>>
>>1068527
Why wouldn't they be?
>>
>>1068453
Just use motor oil dude.
>>
File: 81x2X5jNsXL._SY679_.jpg (34KB, 259x679px) Image search: [Google]
81x2X5jNsXL._SY679_.jpg
34KB, 259x679px
>>1068453
I use CLP... It works surprisingly well
>>
>>1068554

names look fake
>>
>>1068592
Huh, you're right, they all have terrible labeling, coincidently.
They're real though.
>>
>>1068522
I use rock n roll gold, get like 4-5k miles out of my chains. Also light rider with smart shifting so that probably helps.

its my fav lube cause it also cleans as it works :^)
>>
>>1068553

Nope. There's plenty of automotive dry lubes.
>>
>>1068453
Muc-Off
>>
>>1068453
father uses white, I use finish line dry...
>>
>>1068515
>>1068553
>>1068613
The dry lube shit for for door hinges and shit.

Chain lubricants are the one place it's actually useful to use a specialized bicycle lubricant, assuming the lubricant was actually well engineered. Even motorcycle chain lubricant, while also meant for chains and exposed to the elements, is meant for o-ring chains and run much faster and hotter. Most industrial chain lubricant is meant for enclosed and protected chains. Automotive and industrial lubricants generally don't place efficiency very high on the list of priorities either.
>>
Wet lube. Only downside is it attracts more dirt but that's only if you're a fucktard and don't wipe your chain off after lubing. If you properly maintain your drivetrain (i.e. wipe down your chain after lubing), dry lube offers LITERALLY no advantage, and wet lube lasts longer and holds up better to conditions.

Yes, boiling your chain in wax is even better but most people don't want to put in that much effort. So for everyone else, wet lube is best lube.
>>
DUMONDE
U
M
O
N
D
E
>>
>>1068666
nice trips
>>
>>1068677
Nice dubs
>>
File: wd40.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
wd40.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
never let me down, keep wasting your money, fucking retards.
>>
The only choice.
>>
File: 50609_600.jpg (43KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
50609_600.jpg
43KB, 600x400px
>>
>>1068610
I use rock n roll gold too but get about 1500-2000 miles out of a chain, 125lbs. I do a fuck ton of out of the saddle climbing though. I think that boinging up and down on the pedals is what stretches them instead of constant power output.
>>
File: 789_CoolFace.jpg (99KB, 392x300px) Image search: [Google]
789_CoolFace.jpg
99KB, 392x300px
>>1068688
>>
File: dekadeawdasdx.jpg (13KB, 171x294px) Image search: [Google]
dekadeawdasdx.jpg
13KB, 171x294px
>>
>>1068695
This. Cooking your chains in paraffin is by far the best solution, at least for fair weather bikes. And the best part is you can use paraffin found in the local grocery store at $5/lbs.
>dry drivetrain with no oil stains
>doesn't collect shit
>proven to save watts
>>
Ride Mechanic Bike Milk
>>
Usually Pedro's Ice Wax unless I'm expecting rain. It doesn't last long, but the chain is still pretty clean by the time it needs lube again.
>>
>>1068453
Paint thinner and then WD-40 sprayed on a cloth so you don't ruin brake pads.
>>
>>1068741
I tried it and was not sold on the idea

>requires removing the chain
>lasts 100 miles tops in dry weather
>wax builds up in the cassette and idler pulleys
>>
I Have tried lot and I like Kroon-oil teftec DS the most.
Vanilla scent too.
>>
>>1068741
>>1068869
You're supposed to put a dry lube like PTFE or Graphite in. Wax itself is not a great lubricant. It's a carrier for real lubricant that does an okay job as a lubricant. It penetrates well when hot, it stays in place well when cool. It doesn't stick or flow after the initial cooking.
>>
Paraffin + a little bit oficina beeswax
>>
Finish Line Dry has been my go to. Tried Rock n Roll Gold in the past, it doesn't seem to last all that long. Before that Triflow 4ever. Muc Off is a team sponsor now sooooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
Rock and roll lube has served me well.
>>
>>1068929
I have not been able to find this PTFE or graphite powders fucking anywhere, but I'd love to try it. Paraffin alone mixed with a little bit of beeswax has served me well for years and works much better than any of those finish line lines I used to drop money on.
>>
Auto trans fluid
>>
File: 41Hdc5i0H8L.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41Hdc5i0H8L.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
I've been using dupont chain saver on my motorcycle and bicycle.
>>
>>1068974
Both PTFE and graphite powders are readily available online.
>>
Ultrasonic cleaning tank,
White spirit then acetone to remove the old lube.
Melt 500g paraffin wax, 5ml of ptfe and 1ml of MoS2 in tank, cook chain for half an hour in mixture. Drain and dry on a wire rack, coat with ptfe powder. New chains need a few km to bed them in (to polish the surfaces in contact)
>>
>>1068974
>>1069107
Don't do it
Mos2 Powder is superior to the PTFE jew and gravelite
>>
>>1069107
>>1069173
Will take note, thanks anons.
>>
>>1068486
ALL LUBE IS THE SAME.

you are just buying into marketing
>>
>>1069201
Lissen to this moran
use your branes!
>>
>>1069173
I just found a good deal for 100g of MoS2 powder online. Should I mix it with PTFE in the paraffin or just use MoS2 alone with the wax?
>>
File: wd40.jpg (689KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
wd40.jpg
689KB, 1600x1067px
>>1068688
>>1068701
>WD40

does that thing really work as lube, anyone tried? Simon from GCN uses this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvzVRxlIUL0

Finishline masterrace here.
>>
>>1070894
while WD-40 does make chain lubes and PTFE in an aerosol, normal WD-40 does not work and increases wear

just use proper chain lube or GT-85 if your in a pinch
>>
>>1068522
is lower or higher better in this graph?
>>
>>1068466
Was about to post this too
>>
>>1070894
regular WD40 is basically too volatile to use as a lubricant unless you apply it before every ride.
otherwise it just washes out of your drivetrain or evaporates, leaving your drivetrain unlubricated
>>
>>1068467
this desu
>>
File: 1473894488923.gif (211KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473894488923.gif
211KB, 1280x720px
shoving the chain up your vag and thinking about riding bicycles
>>
>>1071026
Lower.
>>
File: IMG_0148.jpg (215KB, 1274x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0148.jpg
215KB, 1274x2400px
Anyone use atb with the redcap?
Mike shop near here suggests it. I always use finish line dry, but it gets super messy in the dew
>>
File: 1df.jpg (40KB, 418x501px) Image search: [Google]
1df.jpg
40KB, 418x501px
>>1068467
>tfw this is what I did from 4-15 years old
>>
>>1071040
h-have you seen it somewhere?
show me
>>
bike newfag here

how often do you have to lube your bike parts? just the chain or anything else?

i got my bike 8 months ago and i didnt lube anything yet how much did i fuck up?
>>
>>1071314
clean and lube weekly, but you're meant to do it after every ride, and lube just before as well.
>>
A local tri shop recommended olive oil. I have to say, for triathletes who will clean their bike rigourously after use it delivers a butter smooth ride. Though I'd never use it in bad weather or on gravel rides.
>>
File: 5026729-NOC02.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5026729-NOC02.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
Squirt, nigga!!!
>>
>>1071320
> after every ride
> weekly at least

Don't listen to this advice. Chain lube washes out manufacturer's lube and replaces it with a much less pressure resistant lube.
ff you do this, you basically replace good lube with inferior lube and you artificially reduce your chain's lifetime.

Never lube as a preventive measure you only kill your chain. Start to use lube when the chain starts to become louder. This is a good indicator that the manufacturer's lube starts to wear off.

Apply lube sparingly, one drop on every roller.
And: Check your chain for wear with a caliper or gauge.
>>
>>1071336
should i wash my chain witf wd40 before lubing it up?

also isnt it cheper just to buy a new chain and not spend money on these fucking expensive lubes?
>>
I don't like these modern lubes. I started biking 20+ years ago and all the chain stuff was thick, foul, black goo that was applied once a year, even on a year-round mpls bike. This new shit is gone after like a week, what the fuck? Anybody using cheap motor oil?
>>
>>1068518
>>1071325

Bought one at the MEC store here in Vancouver. I had preciously used Pedro's.

It seems to last less than oil-based lubricants, but it has made my chain completely silent - which I like - and it leaves the chain and the cogs way cleaner than the oil ones, so it's much easier and quicker to clean the chain.
Also, you don't need to wipe the chain after you apply it and, if you're a tree-hugging faggot like me, it also seems to be more environmentally friendly.

I believe I will only used wax lubricants from now on.
>>
>>1068493
Found a bottle from Walmart, works well but messy
>>
File: IMG_2187.jpg (45KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2187.jpg
45KB, 338x450px
>>1068456
>>
>>1068973
This one. They even make a White Lightning-style cleaner/lube ('Holy Cow') for the aspies.
>>
>>1068453
I use Addinol GL-80W gearbox oil and graphite for my bicycle and Simson.
This stuff is verry thick at normal temperatueres, normal engine oil is 5W to 15W.
Since I need it anyway for my Simson, I basicly pay nothing extra for these few drops my chain needs...
>>
>>1071416
If the chain is new, you can wipe away the excessive grease on the outside. This prevents dust and dirt from clinging to the chain.
After a ride you can use a cloth with a little WD40 to run the chain through. This will clean the outside and prevent rust. Run the chain through a dry cloth afterwards to remove excessive oil.
Just listen to your chain. If you gets louder, start lubing cautiously.

Of course you can buy a new chain more often. Just get a cheap lube. As soon as you start lubing, your chain will gradually deteriorate anyway. Personally, I prefer keeping my stuff alive as long as possible.
>>
How well does the Finish Line Teflon lube work if it gets wet?

Obviously it's a dry lube and therefore not great, but when I get back and my bike is all muddy I like to dump a bucket of warm soapy water over the chain and I'm wondering if I should re-lube after each ride.
>>
Engine assembly lube from the auto store. Only have to do it once.
>>
>>1073464

It would be prefered. It kind of wears off when in contact with water/mud/dirt.
>>
How often should I lube my bike chain?
Dry riding conditions
>>
>>1073852
Depends on the lube
>>
>>1068486
>>1068492

I put sex lube on my grips to get them on and it didn't dry the next day. in fact it didn't dry ever. so I had slippy grips for two months until I took them off and used rubbing alcohol instead.

really improved the quality of my life in terms of jacking off.
>>
>>1073853
Stock chain that came with my trek, 1k miles, 3 years old.

When should I relube?
>>
File: motul_15w50.jpg (15KB, 160x290px) Image search: [Google]
motul_15w50.jpg
15KB, 160x290px
>collect used motor oil from motorbike every oil change

with time:
----
>wash the bike chain with dielectric solvent and toothbrush
>await for dielectric to volatilize
-------

OR
without time:
------
>use an old fabric to clean the chain "in dry"
>lots of shit came out chain anyway, not as good as "with time clean", but works
------

after that:
>apply just a little bit of old motor oil over the bike chain, for two chain loops
>wait until oil penetrate chain (a coupe of minutes)
>clean the chain with a piece of fabric until the chain feels almost dry to touch

Very effective shit.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.