[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cycle friends of /n/. What are some of your close calls? I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: closecalls.jpg (65KB, 630x472px) Image search: [Google]
closecalls.jpg
65KB, 630x472px
Cycle friends of /n/.
What are some of your close calls?

I'll start:
>riding bike to class
>moron in a Honda Element looks at me coming down the hill while waiting to merge onto road
>cuts me off anyway and forced me to do a hard brake

Seriously why are cagers so fucking dumb when it comes to any form of two wheel vehicle?
I'm not even one of those weaving idiots I follow the law to a T.
>>
>driving car to work
>moron on a bicycle looks at me indicating to turn left
>attempts to pass me on the left hand side anyway and forced me to do a swerve

Seriously why are cyclists so fucking dumb when it comes to any form of four wheel vehicle?
I'm not even one of those cager idiots I follow the law to a T.
>>
>riding down a four-lane wide road
>like 1% downhill grade, not too noticeable but still going ~40km/h
>there's a car parked on the right-most lane
>look behind, everything's good, overtake on the left
>there's a huge fucking hole right between the two lanes AND IT'S FUCKING PAINTED OVER AND INSIDE WITH ROAD PAINT SO IT'S GODDAMN INVISIBLE
>front wheel goes in, immediately pull on bars
>rear wheel not so lucky, bash it against hole pretty hard
>bike going crazy, somehow manage to recover control and keep riding
>rear flat and ruined wheel
I swear someone did it on purpose just to kill cyclists
>>
>going full speed to catch the light
>someone pulls out into the bike lane
>option 1: swerve into traffic
>option 2: lock breaks and go flying
>decided to lock my back wheel and turn into a hockey slide
>road rash but nothing else major
>mangled front wheel
>>
>>1067584
Goddammit I hate potholes so fucking much.

I actually just got a flat in my car from a massive one and they've thrown me off my bike before.
>>
>cycling on bicycle path
>pickup truck turns off road into parking lot crossing over bike path right in front of me
>I have to brake hard as fuck and almost crash into the fucktard cager
>a non-experienced cyclist would have crashed into the cage
>I had the right of way
Fuck that guy
>>
>>1067582
Literally what? I was in the road he wasn't it was an intersection situation.
>>
>>1067561
>UKfag
>riding along on on left side of the road
>left turn ahead, I'm going straight on
>lorry pulls up beside me and veers straight into the turn
>cutting me off and very nearly pulling me under one of its six wheels
>I leap off onto the pavement and pull my bike away just in time
>look on stunned as the guy drives off without even batting an eyelid
Fuck lorry drivers, they are all cunts. All of them. Even the ones I've actually talked to, complete cunts.
>>
Not exactly a close call, but it hust happened today

>guy accelerates on left turn
>blocks the opposite lane
>blocks me, crossing the road
>is talking on the phone
>swerves and almost hits the pavement
>swerves onto the bus stop
>speeds off above speed limit

Reeeee and so on
>>
>Riding fast down hill towards three-way stoplight that's red
>see intersection has recently been repaved with perfectly smooth asphalt, new paint too
>brake as much as possible before intersection
>still going pretty fast
>emergency stop
>rear wheel lifts off the ground
>front wheel skids
>I'm literally skidding forward with all my weight over the front wheel
>somehow stay upright
>come to a stop about a foot behind the bumper of a car stopped at the light
>rear wheel lands
>trackstand until the light turns green
I have no idea how I didn't crash, but if anybody had been filming it would have looked really cool.
>>
>riding down road on left lane to make a left up ahead
>taxi almost merges into me 50ft from the stoplight
>had to brake hard and hop onto sidewalk to avoid getting hit
Fuck taxi drivers.
>>
File: thumbnail_photo 1.jpg (321KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_photo 1.jpg
321KB, 1280x960px
>>10676441
>Fuck taxi drivers
yeah, especially in toronto
>waiting at intersection light
>cab attempts turn in front of speeding car
>both end up on sidewalk
>low end hybrid fucked but i walked away from this one no injuries - lucky !
>>
>>1067561
>45mph road
>bike lanes are simply part of the road separated by only a painted line (US standard)
>rotting racoon carcass in the middle of bike lane, but closer to the curb
>tfw the bike lanes here are almost never cleaned and usually have a bit of debris but roadkill can remain for days
>have to slightly move to the edge of the lane and almost into the car lane
>make sure the coast is clear and signal my intention
>absent minded driver changes lanes (surprise surprise, no turn signal!) and almost sideswipes me
>they have the gall to honk at me
>luckily they notice in time and move just enough to give me space to get through and back onto the bike lane
If the county bothered to clean the damn road more often, situations like this wouldn't have happened. Too often I see roadkill ending up on bike lanes.
>>
>riding back from practice
>busy city
>minivan runs red light and smashes meand my bike to bits
>no helmet, head goes through windshield; fucked up shoulder
>didn't die

I got $165,000 settlement out of it of which I've spent about $90k with nothing really to show for it. That was ~7 years ago.
>>
>>1067747
>minivan
Fucking soccer moms
>>
>>1067561
lol too many to count.

almost every one of them has been someone swinging a left without looking and nearly creaming me. I've had to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid slamming into dipshits before.

Only time i've actually been hit is when I was riding in the bike lane and had someone turn right infront of me, causing me to slam into the side of their suv, totaling my bike. I was relatively unharmed though. got a fat insurance check from it.

i had a guy buzz by me, really close, as i pass him at a light i see he's on his phone so i give him a "hang up" hand motion and he fucking loses it, honking a bunch, i turn around and he's fucking raging hard, it was hilarious

biggest dipshit goes to the champion who rear ended me when I was at a red light. Best part was, he already pulled up to the light and stopped behind me. maybe he just forgot? or accidentally let go of the brake. He tried to run off, but i chased after him and got his plate number.
>>
>>1067747
Buy a village in Africa and become a warlord
>>
>>1067757
Hah, I've told cagers to put their goddamn phones away before and they always lose their shit
>>
>>1067561
>walking to light rail stop
>wait at the light
>cyclist coming in from the left
>light turns red for him, green for me
>start walking
>guy keeps cycling at ~40 km/h
>almost runs me over, 30 cm of space between us
>just looks at me with his jaw agape
>>
>>1067837
I have a friend I ride with sometimes, he's always doing dumb shit like this, it seems he can't calculate properly when he'll have the time to run a yellow light before it turns red for too long, or he just doesn't care. He's always depending on other people's reactions to get out of his way.
I secretly hope he crashes soon and stops being a dick.
>>
>>1067850
That shit is the worst. It wasn't a matter of miscalculation in my case though. The guy ran over a red light at top speed deliberately, putting me in danger.
I can perfectly understand crossing a red light when you aren't getting in anybody's way. But to ignore someone's right of way, putting them in direct danger and not even swerving away to reduce the chance of crashing into them is assholian degenerate behavior.
>>
File: fuck cagers.png (3KB, 175x233px) Image search: [Google]
fuck cagers.png
3KB, 175x233px
>>1067561
>pic related mother fucking old man with trophy wife swings his shitty sports car into me with no indication and almost kills me, new break pads save my life
>look him in the eyes, give him the finger, kick his side mirror but not strong enough to break it completely and sprint off

f-fuck cagers
>>
>>1067857
>Also, it is generally bad form in still photography to publish work outside if the aspect ratio it was shot in.
Man this gets me off, wish I had the balls to actually give them what-for.
>>
>>1067757
That last one happened to my old flatmate, he pulled up at a light and a taxi pulled up behind him, someone across the street hailed the taxi and the taxi turned straight through the back of my mate's frame
>>
>be britbong
>riding down cycle lane
>Approaching junction with a left turn lane
>Left turn lane empty, stationary traffic in straight ahead lane
>Lights change as I'm approaching
>Some fresh-off-the-boat looking nigger pulls out without indication
>Swings all the way across the left turn lane and in to the bike line
>Bhop on to pavement to avoid
>Holla at him as I rejoin the road
>pass through the junction
>hear beeping behind me
>dumb fuck is trying to force his way back in to the queue

African drivers are legit a big problem in the UK. The come over from commonwealth or ex-commonwealth countries that still churn out UK valid drivers licences when they likely haven't even driven on a tarmacked road, let alone one with markings...
>>
>>1067912
I almost got taken out on foot by some qt Asian girls the other day
>>
File: road22.jpg (41KB, 1324x1016px) Image search: [Google]
road22.jpg
41KB, 1324x1016px
As a commuterfriend who does 300km per week I get a close call about every week. I've learned to anticipate and be so defensive to just assume no car ever sees you. Even then, I've had to done some hard braking/evasive manouvres. Pic related is usually problem.

>two-way cycle lane
>(1) cars come from side roads and want to enter main road, usually pull out without really looking for cyclists
>(2) cars from the main road that want to turn into the side road don't check their rear mirror for cyclists

This monday in particular almost came to a collision, but lucky I had anticipated the hard brake
>>
>>1067912
When you say "cycle lane" do you mean "On the left of a white lane painted on the road"?
>>
I've only been commuting for a couple of weeks but I have a close call everyday.

I have started just slowing down and assuming no one will ever see me or in many cases they do and try to hit me anyway.
>>
>>1067741
You need to take the lane sooner, and take the whole lane. Where high visibility clothes and light up at night, but take the lane and force good passing. Merging just outside of the bike lane is like lane splitting for cagers, it's not clear that you need the lane.
>>
>Muslim woman sideswipes me then drives off
>>
> Riding on side street marked as bike route
> one lane each direction, no center striping
> be positioned in right tire track of my lane, not hugging right because parked cars, but plenty of room on left for pass
> cager turns onto street behind me, tailgates for a few seconds, then lays on horn and buzzes me accelerating well over the speed limit
> Very upset, I pursue, nearly catch him at next intersection and when he sees me attempt to overtake, he hauls ass away
> I ride like mad and catch him when side street dead ends and turns onto main road with traffic signal
> he's in right turn lane with a car ahead of him and I squeeze between them
> car in front of us makes right on red when cross traffic clears, I ease up to intersection and wait
> guy goes nuts, honking, trying to drive around me, but no room, I finally look back at him, old white guy face turned beat red flipping me off screaming with windows rolled up, foaming....lol
> light turns green and I begin to slowly move through intersection
> dude rear ends me and begins pushing me with his bumper
> rear wheel about to be crushed, so I dismount and toss my bike out of the way, I'm facing the driver with my hands up in a stop motion
> a second later I'm on the hood of his car and were speeding around the corner
> for a moment I consider how to proceed with my justice seeking, then realize my life is totally in jeopardy
>roll off hood at 15+mph, stumble, but some how don't eat shit
> walk back to bike, pick it up, driver behind him asks if I'm ok, say sure, ride home

This cager was willing to kill for sure, was happy to nearly hit me and blare his horn at me, but not have the tables turned when I put myself in a position to dominate him.
>>
>>1068152
whatever man.
>>
>>1067611
Something similar happened to my coworker.

Some drunk fuck truck driver cut us off and my coworker ended up with his rear wheel under the trucks wheels, his foot was forced down under it but he could get it out just in time.
>truck hauling a brazillion tonnes of metal
>would have literally turned his lower leg into paste

The bike got rekt but it was an ancient piece of shit so eh.
>>
>>1068152
Should have sued for the big bucks.
>>
>>1067561
>any form of two wheel vehicle?

OP's is a fixie. So it deserves an extra dose of wrath.
>>
>>1068451
Hope they ban that jackass from the streets for good
>>
>>1067741
>not moving the dead fuck out of the lane yourself

lazy effort, senpai
>>
File: crash1.png (2MB, 1562x1072px) Image search: [Google]
crash1.png
2MB, 1562x1072px
Fucking minivan drivers

1/3
>>
File: carsh2.png (2MB, 1562x1072px) Image search: [Google]
carsh2.png
2MB, 1562x1072px
>>1068878
>>
File: crash3.png (2MB, 1562x1072px) Image search: [Google]
crash3.png
2MB, 1562x1072px
>>1068879
>>
>>1068880
What the fuck, someone actually did this? That's a sure fire way to lose your license.
>>
>>1068114
I suppose that makes sense.

>>1068867
No, I just didn't want to get rabies. I live not too far from a heavily wooded area with lots of animals that might have rabies. Raccoons are the animals I suspect the most of having rabies.
>>
File: zelda link let go.jpg (42KB, 546x432px) Image search: [Google]
zelda link let go.jpg
42KB, 546x432px
>2010
>riding to work
>some blonde with 5 kids is barrelling down a suburban road at ~70 mph
>ignores stop sign completely
>stops within what had to be 2 inches of me at most
>honks horn violently
>"RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK YOU FUCKING IDIOT"
mfw
>>
>>1067837
Cyclists don't obey red lights
>>
>>1067591
>>1067584
hit a pothole, or something (it was dark) once and it threw my front wheel into a wobble

front end went completely sideways and i slammed my chest into the bars (had a perfectly matched up bruise from the hoods) and flipped me over the handlebars onto my back on the side of the road.

distinctly remember seeing my bike literally BOUNCING into the street and my first reaction was to run out into the road waving my arms so i could grab it before someone ran it over

scratched my back up real bad and had a crack in the back of my helmet but other than that i was okay

scary though because it came out of fucking nowhere
>>
>>1068114
This, definitely. It helps to be assertive. Take the whole lane and make yourself impossible to be unnoticed. If anybody honks or whatever just smile and give them the finger, if they're not able to pass you in their car it's their fuckin problem. What might end up being a dent on their car is your life, mate
>>
>>1069386
Where i love, hardly any of the stoplights are able to register that there is a bike sitting on top of the sensor and there's not always a car i can "piggyback" to get me through the intersection.

If it's not a busy time of day, or not a busy intersection, you can usually just yield and be fine.
>>
>make the bad decision to take bike to buffalo, ny
>riding on road in ghetto at poor advice from sjw retard airbnb host
>guy in suv (always an suv) makes sudden U-turn in street without looking
>runs me off the road, I'm between curb and him
>nearly killed
>he looks at me and smiles like an imbecile, waves me ahead
>curse him out and ride away

>at uni, about to cross street on pedlight at crosswalk
>red light 20 ft ahead
>see car coming like bat out of hell, hold back
>sheboon blazes through walk, slams on brakes at red
>nearly killed me and other guy
>walk up and slam fist on her car, curse her out
>she screaming, trying to turn car into uni drive to chase me
>she gets stopped at the security box and bar
>moonwalk into class
>>
>riding around a large convention center on very wide sidewalk because their road is a death tunnel
>usually no peds unless a convention is on
>ped ahead, go to side to pass him
>he suddenly changes directions right into my path, we bump
>realize he's a druggie and basically swerving while walking
>gives me shit, I curse him out and leave

>on road in left lane, trying to make a left
>guy in pickup doesn't think a bike takes an entire lane, tries to pass me in my own lane on the left hand side
>nearly kills me because he couldn't wait five seconds for me to turn and be on my way

>god damn fuckers always blowing reds
>I don't even trust new greens now, I look first because some asshole cager just CAN'T WAIT and doesn't think rules apply to him

>god damned fucking ped smartphone zombies wandering all over, not looking, stopping or changing directions suddenly

>hobos with carts of shit wandering all over bikepath

>fuckers who let their dogs wander all over the path, leash spread like a wire

I want to put a bayonet on the front of my bike.
>>
>>1070734
>>guy in pickup doesn't think a bike takes an entire lane, tries to pass me in my own lane on the left hand side
When you switch to the left lane before making a turn, ride dead center in the middle of that lane. Not even a motorcycle will dare to pass by you on the left side
>>
test
>>
>>1069391
You're right except for the finger flipping part. Don't do that.
>>
>>1068879
>>1068880
why is the bike going backwards maybe that's why you crashed my dude
>>
>>1067854
He probably set a sick PR on Strava though breh.
>>
>>1069392
If I'm rolling up to an intersection and the light is red, I usually just pull over to the sidewalk, dismount, and press the pedestrian button to walk my bike across.
It takes longer, but I try to set a good example for other cyclists to avoid giving the cagers extra fuel for their diatribe.
>>
>>1068152
Your own fault for pretending to be judge dredd.
You aren't the law, if you get slighted don't look for trouble, it's how people get stabbed and run over. Don't sink to the levels of fuckwits, because it makes you one too.
>>
>>1070939
sorry, living somewhere where people deliberately try to be as big of a jackass as possible behind the wheel has made me bitter

i try to just smile and wave now
>>
once i was so high I ran in to a parked dodge pickup ttruck and got up and kept ridding away,.
>>
How are you lot involved in so much shit? I have been cycling both for pleasure and commuting for 3+ years now and i've never had more than a close pass. All the way from quiet country roads to fast pased dual carridgeways...
Britbong by the way
>>
>>1073822
>Britbong by the way

yeah... watch a russian dashcam once in a while :r)
>>
>>1067561
Invisible pits in grass are horrible too.

>ride to reservoir today
>ride through grassy field
>ride through HUGE hidden hole
>fly over bars and bike falls on me
>Not hurt but front plastic part of shifter breaks
>Hole is nearly bottomless, could fit into it entirely and not sure if it ends there
>Check my legs and TWO giant red ticks are crawling on it

If I was walking I might have snapped my ankle or even higher on my leg because of the immense depth. Lots of people walk through that field. The fucking Shimano Altus shifters are like 16-17 dollars on ebay just for the front one. Why is bike shit designed to be as fragile as possible, with transparent plastic covering this moving notch thingy? It wouldn't happen to the old-style indexed shifters.
>>
>>1073986
>Check my legs and TWO giant red ticks are crawling on it
You best light that whole field on fire
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.