[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I take a cross country Amtrak train tonight. It's 3 days

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20151217_144854067.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_144854067.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
I take a cross country Amtrak train tonight. It's 3 days long. What am I in for?
>>
3 days of sitting.
>>
I'm doing a cross country Amtrak in three weeks. I plan on packing as much food as I can so I don't have to eat at the dining cart as much.

I'm going from DC to Seattle, what about you?
>>
>>1067336
You're going to stop a lot for freight trains passing by.
>>
Durian is a great snack for long trips.
>>
Do Amtrak rides smell? Apparently they have toxic fumes.
>>
>>1067371
No you won't.

I'm tired of retards perpetuating this myth. Most railroad caused delays are MoW related, but you won't be sitting in sidings waiting on freight.
>>
>>1067336
cheeto dust and mexican children running amok in the aisles
>>
>>1067389
Can someone answer this?
>>
>>1067389
It's diesel engines that emit formaldehyde, benzene and other shit. Trains are for retards.
>>
>>1067435
Well time to take a plane then
>>
File: CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96[1].jpg (82KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96[1].jpg
82KB, 500x509px
>>1067386
>>
>>1067395
This is correct. Amtrak trains don't wait on sidings for freights very much. However, there seems to be quite a few mechanical issues with Amtrak and this can often put them off schedule. So you got to be flexible. Relax and enjoy the club car.
>>
>>1067355
The food in the dining car is actually pretty good but definitely overpriced. Drinks in the club car are also quite expensive--$2.50 for a can of Pepsi as I remember. So it's good to bring some of your own food.
>>
File: rape.jpg (19KB, 208x228px) Image search: [Google]
rape.jpg
19KB, 208x228px
>>1067336
Prepare your anus
>>
I had a sleeper to my self, and packed a cooler with drinks, fruit, sandwiches, booze and weed.

I was blazing the rails.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ
>>
File: jealous.jpg (12KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
jealous.jpg
12KB, 360x270px
>>1067336
>I take a cross country Amtrak train tonight. It's 3 days long.
>>
>>1067397
Cheeto dust: the deadliest carcinogen known to man
>>
>>1067626
The willie version is better.
>>
>>1067629
Why would you be jealous of such a boring activity smelling people's shit and piss from the bathrooms accumulating for 3 days?
>>
File: asdfasdfadfs.jpg (54KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdfadfs.jpg
54KB, 736x552px
>>1067660
>you mean this anon isn't excited to partake in the mixing of wastes?
>>
>tfw a train ride is more expensive than flying or even driving
Why does the US hate rail so much?
>>
>>1067338
>>1067397
>>1067660

Coach trash problems

I just bought a ticket with a room from Florida to Eugene. Gonna be fun as hell.
>>
>>1067683
No, it happens mostly in the rooms.
>>
>>1067420
When I rode it the train smelled slightly of diesel and vinyl.
>>
Uh.
Having taken the Amtrak from Boston to Pittsfield, and found it tolerable, if not occasionally decent; and taken the train going the other way and found it fucking infuriating (always late trains ranging from 20 minutes to 6 hours) I wish you good luck.
Mind you, this is without even leaving Massachusetts. I can't imagine how tired of sitting you'll be after four full days of sitting.
>>
>>1067760
The use nicer trains for long distance rides that have better seats and other such things
>>
>>1067764
It's the lake shore limited from Boston to chicago, fwiw. I hope you're right dawg you're just gonna go stir crazy
>>
>>1067743
Where exactly did you ride an Amtrak train? that's sounds like fucking hell
>>
>>1067766
I don't think there's a train that goes from Boston to Chicago what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>1067954
Pretty sure the Lake Shore Limited does
Its eastern terminus alternates between NY Penn and Boston South
>>
>>1067955
I thought that was capitol limited...
>>
>>1067355
Also going to Seattle
>>
>>1067622
No you werent
>>
A fun trip, as long as you can sleep in a seat.

We went from Seattle to upstate NY, got a room, and it was great. Had to switch over to a short hop train from Chicago to the NY station we were going to, and I couldn't get comfortable in the seats, just stayed awake the whole way. Expensive and slow, but worth the experience.

I used to regularly go from Seattle to Bellingham, and occasionally Seattle to Portland on Amtrak - short trips are more sustainable. Next time I'm going to NY, I'll be flying.

>>1067371
This anon is right in my limited experience, at least on the eastern part of the trip. Near Chicago had a lot of stuff.
>>
>>1068069
We're there weird smells like some anons are talking about?
>>
>>1068072

I think it really comes down to whether or not you have a good attendant. I have never had a bad one when in business on up, but maybe I was lucky. My last trip was amazing with a guy who really took care of us.

>hands out wifi password
>"be careful that them in back don't get this, they will ruin the speed for decent people"

>guy dressed bad entered business class, gets told to leave because he is making the trip unpleasant

>keep the rifraff out when its night

>some guy got on in middle of night
>wouldnt shut up
>he got told to pipe down or be sent back to coach with the rest of the trash

>we pulled over to let another train pass, because it put us a little behind he brought some snacks around

>bathroom spotless the few times I went by, no smells at all

Was an excellent trip.
>>
>>1067336
so are there memes in this picture or
>>
>>1068206
Someone saw a Pepe but couldn't find it again... Really interesting picture
>>
OP I've taken the empire builder and lake shore ltd from Seattle to Boston; if you're riding coach I'd recommend earplugs and eye covers; there are safety lights at night so it doesn't get dark, and track noise is a problem when people pass between cars. Mitigate that and you'll sleep very very well due to the to rocking of the car. Bring a cooler with some food, a blanket and a pillow, a few books and some edibles. Sitting in the dome car is amazing. You'll have fun, but be in need of a shower at the end
>>
File: mt.jpg (56KB, 1229x918px) Image search: [Google]
mt.jpg
56KB, 1229x918px
I did a 26 hour ride from Winona, MN to Whitefish, MT. Empire builder I think?

Way out was pretty good. Decent dining car food and we ate dinner the next evening as we were entering the Rockies, so that was an awesome experience... just having dinner with friends surrounded by comfy mountains.

The wifi sucked but a friend and I did a bulbasaur solo run in leafgreen in a ridiculously short time.

On the way back, the door on our car wouldn't shut so it was loud as fuck.

Other than that, pretty fun time taking the train. Probably won't do it again though.

Pic related is a shitty phone pic I took from the train. This was 4 years ago
>>
I'm not trying to troll... but fucking why?

>Nashville to Boston
>Amtrak - $152 - 33hrs
>Jetblue - $163 - 2.5hrs

30hrs is worth $70. Random cities, so maybe it gets better, but I just don't understand long-distance train travel unless it's A.) James Bond level Monaco luxury, or B.) insane Japanese bullet trains.
>>
>>1068720
Amtrak sucks because freight trains get higher priority than passenger trains, and because at all levels of government there's a general refusal to invest in improvements for Amtrak since public transportation is a communist plot to destory 'Murica. Real Americans drive cars, and air travel is tolerable only because it represents glorious capitalism: luxury for those who can afford it, livestock-tier conditions for plebs who can't afford first-class or a private jet (because poverty is a sign of moral weakness/laziness/negritude).
>>
>>1067395
>>1067570
Took coast starlate once and we spent quite a while waiting for freight trains to pass while in the single track segments.

>>1067389
doesn't smell of fumes, though you might get some from the other passengers.

>>1067571
also bring your own alcobooze
>>
>>1068726
Ok
>>
>>1068726
>Amtrak sucks because freight trains get higher priority than passenger trains
They really don't. By law Amtrak gets dispatching priority.

Why do you idiots keep telling this lie? I've sat in sidings for nearly two hours just so that we don't slow Amtrak down. Yeah, sometimes Amtrak waits a few minutes on us to clear, but by and large, it's us waiting on them.
>>
>>1068727
>>1068727
I thought the train smelled like a toxic waste dump, who the fuck is correct?
>>
>>1069801
>>1069801
They do. Take a plane. They are infinitely safer. Diesel fumes are extremely dangerous.
>>
>>1069797
I once left Denver headed west on the Zephyr 8 hours late due to brake problems with a sleeping car. We arrived at Emeryville only two hours late. So I know the statement that freight trains have priority is bullshit.
>>
File: oet061120.jpg (83KB, 394x800px) Image search: [Google]
oet061120.jpg
83KB, 394x800px
>>1067336
>>
Be prepared to listen to retard casuals bitch about delays when that shit is normal. One time, the train I was on was a few hours late, and the mongos I was unfortunate enough to share a car with were passing around petitions and shit and one fag was saying he had friends that were going to get "the story" on the news. Fucking morons I swear to god. Nobody gives a shit that some retards are mildly inconvenienced while riding a train. I've ridden the coast starlight close to 20 times, and delays are very common on that route. One bitch was saying "ablooh ablooh my husbands in the military I shouldn't have to put up with this". Just because your husband signed up to die for dumbass reasons doesn't give you special privileges cunt.
Also, make weed cookies ahead of time. The trip goes much quicker no matter how many delays there are.
>>
tfw took a plane instead
>>
>>1068726
Coach would be fine if it were not for people acting shitty to each other on the flight. You get what you pay for and 1st class really does select for a better class of human.
>>
>don't sit next to a fatty
>bring a blanket, you can mush it to help sleep comfy by filling in gaps
>bring your clothes in a string backpack or drysack in your bag, use as pillow
>pack food
>don't sit near a crackaddict or a crazy
>if you can't sleep in the seat, go to the viewing platform and sleep on the floor
>they have water onboard, just bring your own empty bottle
>train is full of crazy people, retirees, and assholes

>in benchseat looking out window
>group comes and sits next to me, blocking me in
>oldfuck next to me and two retard women asking him about his life's story because they apparently never saw an oldfuck before
>they're gooing and coddling him, those virtue signalling women types you know
>while later, want to get up, "can I get out?"
>bitch tells me, "say please", with smug grin like she thinks she has authority to lecture me on manners
>stare at her like wtf, she calls me rude, I'm ready to punch her for being a pedantic shiteater
>oldfuck won't move, like seriously he refuses to move (muh back...well then DON'T SIT NEXT TO SOMEONE BLOCKING THEM IN)
>tired of waiting for him and listening to his MUH BACK. MUH KNEES. OOOOOHHHH
>get up on top of seat's back and walk across while ducking, then hop down, while carrying all my stuff
>bitches say I'm rude for not wanting to wait 20 minutes to escape
>flip them off and curse them out, leave

Amtrack is populated entirely by selfish assholes, old fucks, and chinese tourists. it's a doggy dog world.
>>
Man I was the asshole on one of these trains once. I had to go from Saratoga NY to Edinburgh in the UK for my grandma's funeral, literally just a 2-day round trip, in and out, because I was visiting my girlfriend and didn't want to waste time

>So fucking exhausted
>Girlfriend yelling at me over the phone
>Stand up
>Lose balance and lean on the seat in front
>Jog the passenger awake
>Proceed
>Man why didn't you apologise?
>Oh, mm,
>Walk away, leaving him mumbling

I still feel guilty about that but fuck if that wasn't the most depressed I've been in my life
>>
>>1070753
>I had to go from Saratoga NY to Edinburgh in the UK
>NY to UK
>train
>>
>>1071259
They can do amazing things now a days with engineering.
>>
>tfw travelled from Montreal to Panama City on the North-South high speed line
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.