[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential cycling snacks and fuel to keep for 30

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (131KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
131KB, 1000x800px
What are some essential cycling snacks and fuel to keep for 30 + mile trips?

I just started cycling and am really underweight but I plan to do long commutes so I need to avoid my organs eating themselves.
>>
I skip the expensive meme foods and just drink Ensure.
>>
>>1066769
>He needs to eat to do 40 miles rides.

You don't unless it's a race. Just put some sugar and salt in your water.
>>
>>1066820
well I was told "dude youre gonna be burning like 4 thousand calories...you know you have to eat a ton or you'll be dropping pounds every week"

Personally, I don't want to have to eat a lot, and I don't think I needed it that bad when I did a test ride. But it is slightly precarious in my situation since I'm already way under a normal BMI.

I think I'm going to maybe just have some grilled fish after a ride or and a food pouch, but I think you are right because for 30 miles I wasn't feeling like I was starving to death or sick.
>>
>>1066769
You don't need food for rides under two hours.

Road racing (2.5-4 hours): it's hard to eat solid foods under high intensity... I mostly do gels, some drink mix, maybe I'll stuff a handful of dates in my jersey pocket.

Moderately long days (3-5 hours): bananas, dates, fig bars, gas station coke if bonking. Just need carbs to top off glycogen stores.

Super long, all day stupid rides (6+ hours): pb&j or rice cakes are good. Anything that gets you some protein and fats every two or three hours on top of the carbs you're consuming every hour.
>>
>>1066769
If all you're riding is around 30 miles, you really don't need to take much of anything other than a bottle of water per hour, maybe with some electrolytes in it. At most you'll need 200kcal per hour of carbs plus electrolytes. If it's taking more than 2 hours to go 30 miles then you have other problems in your young life than what to take on a bike trip.

>>1066820
You don't put 'sugar' in your bike bottles unless you're an idiot and want your teeth rotting out. Use maltodextrin for best results.

>>1066826
LOL if you're burning 4000kcal for 30 miles, then it's either >=20% grade ascent the entire way, or you're 400 pounds riding on a bike that the brakes are dragging on both rims. For that distance you MIGHT burn up too 1000kcal at most, more like 750.
>>
Under 2.5 hours I don't eat anything, though I can start running out of energy towards the end.

Long rides I have a 350 calorie snack after the first 2 hours and every 1.5 hours after that not eating anything once I'm within 1.5 - 2 hours of finishing. If I'm riding harder than normal I'll start eating a bit sooner.
>>
Up to something like two hours you don´t need food for the ride itself. Just some water. For anything longer I bring watered down apple juice and some chocolate bars. But the chocolate is more like emergency fuel, usually i get some food on the way.

Just keep in mind that this doesn´t mean you don´t burn any calories on shorter rides. Its just better, cheaper, healthier and more convenient to get those calories before and after your ride, as a part of your regular diet. Energy bars, gels, electrolyte drinks and stuff like that is basically fancy candy. Sometime on special occasions and so is okay, but don´t get them every day.

If you start riding a lot you will have to eat more, there´s no way around that. A rough estimate for i´m using for myself is 400 kcal/hour going at 25km/h average on flat land.

But i´m not really counting calories, I mostly just eat when I´m hungry, and weigh myself from time to time to see if my weight remains stable.
If you want to change your weight, there´s no way around counting calories. Maybe try the sticky on /fit, its actually pretty good.
>>
Alcohol, almost double the energy per gram.
>>
I read somewhere you should be hitting an oz of energy gel every 45 minutes. Is that overkill? I had a 3 hour ride the other day and did it.
>>
>>1067789
I'm always snacking on something every 30 minutes or so
Without drinking and eating consistently, I bonk out and feel like shit
>>
>>1067008
Before, during or after?
>>
File: gu-energy-orange-back.jpg (98KB, 1052x920px) Image search: [Google]
gu-energy-orange-back.jpg
98KB, 1052x920px
>>1067789
You mean you read it on a energy gel wrapper? Hmm... I'm sure we can trust their marketing department :)
>>
>>1067989
as someone who uses that exact brand I take them about 1 hour into the ride and about an hour or so after that... works pretty good until the 4 hour mark and then I just need real food.
>>
>>1066769
>30 + mile trips
Water. Literally just water. 30 miles is literally fucking nothing.

For 70+ mile rides, a Clif bar or two is nice.
For 100+ mile rides, nice to have some Clif Shot energy gels too.

Protip: Even 100 miles is a short ride.
>>
Lol at everyone saying you need food starting at 2.5-3 hour rides. If mountain biking yeah. If doing a high intensity road ride (i.e. training) then yeah some gels. But if just riding to ride, at like 17mph or whatever? Why the fuck would you need to eat anything if you're going less than 5-6 hours?

>>1066828
>implying OP can go 30 miles in 2 hours
>>
>>1067789
If you're doing a high intensity training ride that sounds good. Otherwise... no.
>>
>>1068148
You realize this is /n/ right? Half the people on this board consider it an accomplishment to ride 100 miles in a month.
>>
>>1067984
Both
>>
>>1068148
>>1068156
plebs, I don't even bother with water unless the ride is 150 miles or more, and even then only if it's at least a 10k foot climb

why are there so many casuals shitting up this board?
>>
>>1068156
lol true
>>1068183
The thing is the posts you replied to were serious (and correct) whereas yours is not. I'm guessing you're one of the guys that only rides 100 miles in a month.
>>
>>1068265
yes, everyone who isn't a twat is a total casual who rides twice a year after getting the shop to pump up the tires. you're literally the only real cyclist on the entire internet, please bless us with your wisdom
>>
>>1068183
Get a load of Lance, kek, fuck off pro wannabe.
>>
>>1068299
Whoa there I'm not the only real cyclist, I'm just one of the 1% of cyclists who are real cyclists. There's like a few tens of thousands others in the world
>>
OP here I am so glad I made this thread.

I had a feeling it was being exaggerated by who I was talking to that I would need copious amounts of food after the ride (and snacking heavily during) for 30 miles.

I'm 115 lbs at 6 feet so I will definitely eat something if I really feel like I am hungry, but when I did my test ride of 30 miles I thought I could go all the way without anything but water and was afraid not to snack based on what I was told.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.