[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what major US city has the worst public transit. So far my vote

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

what major US city has the worst public transit. So far my vote is on LA, but I haven't been to the southwest or most of the south.
>>
>>1065593
Uh fuck idk Indianapolis?
>>
>>1065593
guessing Charlotte
>>
>>1065593
Bay area is worse in my imo
>no rapid service in most parts of SF
>bart is a money sink and has shit equipment
>caltrain
>vta light rail
>forced transfers at county borders
while in LA we get
>4 light rail lines with good vehicle speeds and ridership
>2 urban subway lines
>many all day freeway express bus services
>limited stop bus services along major streets
>>
San Antonio
>>
>>1065593
Easily Atlanta. MARTA is a sick joke designed by the Republicans to make the state look progressive enough for a bunch of normies to move to Georgia and allow our film industry to expand.

If you don't believe me, look at the recent crisis in Atlanta. I-85 bridge collapse brought the city to it's knees, and then I-20 buckled and furthered the problem, not to mention there was a toxic chemical spill across the highway that same day.
>>
>>1065593
memphis seems to be a good contender
>>
Miami

Metrorail stops lead to no where.

Commuter rail shares the same tracks as Amtrak and Freight.

Busses are always late.
>>
>>1065714
At least you guys are for sure getting a new passenger rail in September. Though the connection to Orlando is still a ways away.
>>
>>1065714
its not too bad there is not much you could do with metrorail the airport extension made sense, the free trolley downtown is good expand that, the bus is decent except for the 2pm thunderstorms lol
>>
>>1065675
Came here to say this. SA is large (~2m ppl) but doesnt even have a light rail.
>>
>>1065714
>be europoor
>move to Boston
>get used to high quality public transit in Boston
>go through half a year without even thinking about buying a car
>take a trip to Miami
>end up just walking tons because there either isn't any public transit or it would be slower than just walking
>realize how lucky I'm to live in Boston because their public transit is actually usable
>>
>>1065626
>in my imo

>>1065714
>>1065769
A nice linear geography wasted.
>>
>>1065607
>major
>city
>indiaflyoverpolis
Pick 1
>>
That question should be easily answered. Just look for the largest city without a rail-based public transit network. Here in Germany, the title goes to Münster at 310 000 inhabitants. In all of Europe, I believe it is Birmingham at 1 100 000 inhabitants.

There are of course also cities with rail-based transport that is just terrible in itself.
>>
Most of them? Fuck, I don't know.

San Antonio is the largest without internal heavy or light rail, if I recall correctly, while Columbus in Ohio doesn't have passenger rail period, not even a once-a-day Amtrak.
>>
>>1065769
There's transit in Miami. Get a bus schedule and map dude.
>>
>>1065811
Birmingham has commuter rail. Most British cities do.
>>
>>1066072
I had a map. The bus service was shit.
>>
>>1065675
Didn't amtrak say something about being in the process of looking into more daily passenger trains from san Antonio to Austin after the old project got screwed over by bnsf
>>
>>1066087
Schedule then. There is also the transit app. Works on any system that has GPS.
>>
>>1065689
I was in ATL for a couple of days a few years ago and fuck that city
>>
>>1065593
Phoenix
>>
>>1065593
Phoenix by far. 1 light fail line and a bunch of bus lines that just go through random suburbs. totally useless
>>
>>1065689
what?

MARTA's pathetic rail and bus services were planned back in the 70s. Only Fulton and Dekalb voted to allow it. the other counties have always voted to keep MARTA out, because they think blacks will use it to rob their suburban houses.

Cobb and Gwinnett run their own bus services now. That take you to MARTA stations.
>>
>>1065811
>>1066073

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Metro

Educate yourselves
>>
>>1066210
I actually didn't know this, but that one line doesn't make the public transit not shit.
>>
>>1066258
We have lots of commuter rail, and an extra train line is being planned for when after the mayor is elected. We are also building a second tram line
>>
File: nope.png (501KB, 1818x1190px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
501KB, 1818x1190px
>>1065810
>>
>>1066496
Not a major city or a city at all its just a huge suburb. Fuck off dumb roasty cunt
>>
>>1066771
Kill yourself cumstain. You got proven wrong and couldn't handle it. Suicide is your only option.
>>
>>1066771
The actual city part of Indianapolis is pretty large though. It has 0 worth while public transit and like it or not it is a major US city.
>>
>>1066496
>800k people in 360 square miles
>not just a huge suburb
Lol.
>>1066773
Kill yoirself flyoveristani scum. MAYBE you could make an argument that its an actual city but nothing you say is going to convince me indianapolis is anywhere near a major city lmao. i bet you think little rock is a metro hub you flyover fuck
>>1066788
>major US city
The delusion is strong in this one i dont even consider dallas a major city indianapolis is a bumfuck flyover suburb
>>
>>1067015
Are coasties this ass blasted they over pay to simply live?
>>
>>1067040
The rent may be hogh but i only pay 100 a month on transportation and i can go wherever i want. Meanwhile cagecuck flyovers pay 500 a month in gas, car insurance and payments just to drive to wal mart in their """""major city"""""
>>
>>1067055
>rent may be high

You also pay more in utilities and food
>>
>>1067079
That may or may not be true, but the food is not really a direct comparison. You can't get food other than corn syrup garbage and CAFO meat in the midwest. Real food costs more than fake frankenfood.
>>
>>1067079
Thats wrong lol i go to chinatown and get $1 strawberries
>utilities
Included in the rent. Lol cage cucks
>>
>>1067088
>implying the utilities being included in your rent doesn't increase your rent
Oh how naive of you.
>>
>>1067082
Well DESU I go to a Kroger and it has locally grown fruits and veggies at a reasonable price.
>>
>>1065811
Going off of metro area population (the relevant metric), the largest city without a metro is Houston, but they do have light rail. The largest area without either would be the Inland Empire, but they have commuter rail. Detroit doesn't have either at the moment, but they're building commuter rail and a light rail line and currently have a people mover in the city center. Tampa only has a heritage streetcar, however APTA doesn't consider it primarily a tourist system, so that might count. The largest city with no non-intercity rail whatsoever is San Antonio.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1491529668406.jpg (47KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1491529668406.jpg
47KB, 720x540px
>>1065593
>live in la
>doesn't own a car
>>
Clearly none of you have been to Albuquerque.
>>
>>1067538
Oh fuck now some troll is gonma try and claim albuquerque is a major fycking city
>>
new orleans metro area only has 1.5 milli so idk if it counts as major but jesus christ the RTA is some kind of sick joke.
>>
>>1068793
New Orleans is certainly not top-tier, but it's not the worst either. They've got some good things going for them, such as 24-hour service on a few lines. However, you can tell they only really care about the streetcars, and not the buses.

In my opinion, the best contenders for major cities with the weakest public transport are Memphis, Albuquerque, and Indianapolis.
>>
>>1068793
New orleans is by far the most walkable southern city though.
>>
Las Vegas
>>
>>1065609
Charlotte has great public transit.
>>
>>1068828
Memphis here. It is shit.
>>
>>1066201
Fuck off, Atlanta is a dope city that's getting better by the day.
>>
>>1065593
Detroit.
>>
If indianapolis can be considered a major city is nome alaska a major one as well?
>>
>>1071462
No, it's not.
>Marta is a laughingstock on /n/
>Bike paths don't go anywhere, literally just recreational paths for hipsters to ride fixies on weekends to shitty bars in Inman Park
>Brand new sports stadiums are being built at the taxpayer's expense despite our sports teams being owned by billionaires
>Cost of living is rising while quality of living stays the same
>Police are everywhere, can't take two steps in midtown without bumping into one
>Everyone who lives here is either homeless or a Chad/Stacy
>Still a high black population

I can't wait to leave the south for good. Atlanta has to be one of the most irritating places on Earth.
>>
>>1067015
>dallas
>not a major city
kek
>>
>>1069069
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>1072017
Nobody mentioned dallas at that time though you massive tard. Also
>dallas
>not a sprawling /o/ flyover wasteland
>>
How about canada? Yellowknife is terrible for transit
>>
>>1072139
yellowknife is tiny though
it has about 20000 people

but i can understand why its terrible for transit
its sprawled out and no one wants to wait for a bus when its below 0 degrees
>>
>>1065714
100% agree
>>
>>1072153
>yellowknife is tiny though
Just described every other flyoverland ""city"" ITT
>>
>>1065593
Virtually any city in the south. The south has some of the worst designed cities imaginable. The entire region needs to be glassed.

>>1066496

>a southern city disguised as a northern city

Massive square area and only manages to chalk up that many people. Sad! Interesting how it's beat out by San Fran which has like an eighth of the land area.
>>
>>1065593

As a heads up, there are only 6 "real" cities in the US.

>San Francisco
>Chicago
>Boston
>New York
>Washington, D.C
>Philadelphia

Only these cities meet the appropriate definitions of an actual city, such as a high population density, relatively strong public transportation, and a strong centralized city core.
>>
>>1075365
wouldn't be surprised to see seattle achieve this status in a decade or so, however
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.