[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here lifts alongside cycling? What does your routine/schedule

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

Who here lifts alongside cycling?
What does your routine/schedule look like?
How does it affect your recovery?

Was thinking of getting into cycling cause it seems fun, but I'm afraid it might cause me to stall or not progress as fast when it comes to my lifting shit.
>>
if you just want to be a fat fuck powerlifter, don't ride

if you want to be fit, of course do both

I have to dial back on the leg stuff because I ride 6 days a week, but my legs are already huge
>>
>>1062837
I lift 4-5 days a week along with commuting by bike almost everywhere that i go. has not affected me so far in terms of recovery and whatnot
>>
>>1062837
I like being fast so lifting is not an option, bro.
>>
They go hand in hand pretty well, if you are just a casual lifter/cyclist. The "cardio kills gains" is just a /fit/ meme, but 95% of them actually think it's true.

I was all about /fit/ until I realised there are more fun things to do, other than sweating indoors and being constantly sore. I still hit the gym 3 times a week and ride bikes a few hours a week, but don't take neither too serious.
>>
I do both. Cardio does not kill gains. I typically hit the gym hard and bulk during the winter and use the summer cycling season to cut and look ripped. The real key is to actually cut tho. If you get down to 8% or lower bf you really wont have any issues with excessive weight on the bike.
>>
>>1062837
reg park 5x5 but i go 4 times a week instead of 3. It just sucks maing gainz and having to get new bibs/jerserys
>>
>>1062837
Track cyclists have some of the most aesthetically muscular bodies anyways, so...
>>
>>1062850
this here

At one point I was squatting, leg press, lunges, leg curls (leg day) and deadlifting twice a week, and working on a 4 story building and running up and down stairs all day and then trying to hit 200 miles a week and my knees just stopped being able to keep up.

Now I just do a PPL and keep it pretty easy on legs during summers when I am riding more and pick up squats more in the winter... also run more in the winter.
>>
File: 1473048854154.jpg (53KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473048854154.jpg
53KB, 720x960px
>>1062837
I do Reg Parks' 5x5 three times a week. Other than that, I commute 30km every day of the week. It hasn't really affected me at all, other than for the stretch marks on my thighs.
>>
Our human body is designed to sit in chairs and not to do intensive stuff for hours every day every year. That would be total non-nense.
>>
>>1062925
Sprint training for track, you'd literally be training about 3 hours a week on the bike.
>>
File: 1405635341317.jpg (211KB, 916x500px) Image search: [Google]
1405635341317.jpg
211KB, 916x500px
>>1062905
Depends on how much you eat. If you're fueling yourself properly you won't lose gains.
>>
File: DYEL starter kit.png (199KB, 697x494px) Image search: [Google]
DYEL starter kit.png
199KB, 697x494px
I ride road and mountain 2-4 times a week and lift 3 days a week. I do a brosplit using pic related 3 times a week. I don't go to the gym and just workout in my home office.

I found I had to start eating more to help recovery. The only real consideration I have is not to ride my mountain bike the day after triceps/chest day because I find those specific muscles do a lot of work on steep gnarly trails. It also feels harder to jump the bike on those days too.

I'm bad with human anatomy so can someone explain to me why I am able to sprint harder, faster, and longer two months after starting my brosplit? I haven't had much bike time due to work and weather these past 3 months as well.
>>
>>1064414
Bigger muscles=more strength (quick bouts of force).
>>
>>1062981
>during summers when I am riding more
because you might utterly ruin your gloves in winter, right?
>>
I count days I bike as a leg day
>>
>>1064414
You don't necessarily need to eat more to help with recovery, you just need enough protein. Most people get enough without needing supplements but it's worth keeping an eye on your intake, especially if you're working yourself really hard. Of course don't start eating less and focusing just on protein, you still need more energy for riding and working out, just look into what it is you're actually eating.

If you actually have those dumbbells I'm jelly, I'd love a set but can't justify the cost.
>>
>>1064425
Yeah I have both of those pieces of equipment in the pic. I actually made it for a /fit/ thread talking about working out at home a long time ago. They're pretty neat. /fit/ called me a DYEL for using only that equipment plus riding bikes.

>>1064574
Hmmm. Makes me not regret the decision to start lifting. My shoulders and back are looking pretty good right now but my arms still kinda DYEL.
>>
>>1064596
Fuck I mixed up my quotes. Sorry, guys.
>>
>>1064596
I wouldn't worry too much about what /fit/ says. Cycling is a good way to build functional leg and core strength and you can get a let of upper body work done with dumbbells and a dip bar. A lot of them think fitness is black and white and if you're not a bodybuilder or powerlifter you're dyel.
>>
>>1062837
This is dream physique. I can't care if chicks don't dig those huge quads.
>>
I do both and I do some plyo also.

I've had no problem with gains. Just figuring how much to eat is difficult. But once you get it dialled in its great. Unlike above, calories are more important than protein. Protein on its own won't do shit witghout carbs and fat.
>>
>>1064667
this guy gets it. Building muscles on a caloric deficit won't be efficient regardless of protein consumption.
>>
>>1062837
There's no point in living if you don't lift
>>
>>1064667
>Unlike above, calories are more important than protein. Protein on its own won't do shit witghout carbs and fat.
And without enough protein you won't build as much muscle and you'll be sore for longer.

>>1064680
I wasn't saying to eat a calorific deficit, just that eating a shit load won't help with recovery if you're not eating the right stuff.
>>
>>1064705
Protein is important but you don't need anywhere near as much protein as the supplement shills make you believe.
>>
>>1064709
I wasn't saying he does, however it's certainly possible that he could be eating stuff that's not giving him enough (or was, he said he started eating more and it helped).
>>
Anyone have suggestions on routines for lifting with biking? I have been thinking of going from 4 to 3 days a week by cutting out squats and biking more instead. Never liked my form on squats. Intermediate level lifter and commute by bike to work most days
>>
>>1064427
I said riding more, not start riding again you dumb fucking nigger kik
>>
File: 1492288683723.jpg (435KB, 1242x669px) Image search: [Google]
1492288683723.jpg
435KB, 1242x669px
>>1065178

This might not answer your question since I don't go to the gym but I'm this anon >>1064414. I do the frankoman dumbell routine. Google it if you're interested. On the Monday portion I incorporate dips, Wednesday I incorporate bodyweight rows, and Friday I don't do the legs part of the workout but do some core work instead.
>>
I'm interested in the answer too. My plan for this season is to do Greyskull LP twice a week (so squatting sessions would be at least 4 days apart) and cycle 3-4 times a week. I'm prepared to reduce number of squat sets if needed, and/or slow down the progression.

I'm 35 and I'm afraid that cycling and squatting will be too much, but OTOH I'd hate to skip squatting completely, as I think it'd negatively affect my other lifts (especially deadlifts), and possibly create imbalance.
>>
>>1065203
That's an interesting idea anon, I'll look into it some thanks
>>
>>1065550
You're welcome. If the threads still up when you figure out the right routine for you I'd be interested in knowing what your research leads you to.
>>
>>1064658
chicks love huge quads and butt, most girls i'm with compliment me on that. Only my mom thinks they look gross ):
>>
I'm a fitizen can someone explain to me why I can't get a good cardio workout on a bike? Biking feels more like a lift exercise than a cardio exercise.
>>
>>1065850
Pedal a bit faster but with less resistance. Once you get used to it you can add in some sprints or sections with higher resistance to get your heart rate up.
>>
>>1065850
You're not riding long enough and/or you're riding too hard.
>>
>>1065859
This probably. The typical /fit/izen can't run a mile without stopping a few times.
>>
File: WP_20170419_10_51_03_Pro.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170419_10_51_03_Pro.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1065904
>>1065859
>>1065858
You might be right. My rides are usually limited to 6-12 miles. Gone as far as about 15 miles and I feel pooped afterwords but never get winded like on a run. I've been trying to get my tempo up to about 60 rpm's at the crank.

This is mostly on single track dirt trails, and gravel. Bike is pic related
>>
>>1065932
you should be pedaling around 90 rpm, 60 is just grinding away and if you start doing some serious hills then it will just be slow and grinding.. hit 90 rpm steady and your sprints should jump up to maybe 140ish or more if you can.
>>
>>1065932
If you're lifting fairly seriously then eat more. Don't forget your fucking veggies. For cardio do intervals on the bike. Ride more and enjoy.
>>
I lifted until I hurt my back. I've replaced it largely with riding now. I might start lifting again, but squats never again.
>>
goal physique, and girl..
>>
>>1064569
Everyday should be leg day, then.
>>
did anyone else have some muscles from weightlifting for a couple years and then you discover bike riding and you just realize how fucking boring weightlifting is so you start biking like crazy and you wither away to hungry skellington maybe get some KOMs and shit and then you start realizing you look like cancer patient?

i am there
how i get motivate to start lifting and eating food again

do i look at muscle men every day like on /fit/
?
>>
>>1069054

Yeah, you can look at muscle men all day. Just don't forget to say No Homo.

t. /fit/izen
>>
>>1068205
Look at these pigs, lol, fucking fatties.
>>
>>1069054
>wanting to lose your KOM chances
>>
File: will they ever learn.jpg (52KB, 909x500px) Image search: [Google]
will they ever learn.jpg
52KB, 909x500px
>>1062837
How does anyone take that overcompensating manlet seriously?
>>
File: goalbody.jpg (18KB, 361x374px) Image search: [Google]
goalbody.jpg
18KB, 361x374px
>>1069054
Are you me?

>discovered bike riding
>two years go by and I look like pic related
>started lifting and boxing for a few months
>wasn't fat so even the noob gains were quite noticable and people were mirin hard, girls getting touchy, etc.
>summer came, dropped lifting and became skeleton mode again
>winter came and started lifting again but not obsessively as the first time
>now as summer is approaching I'm getting the cycling itch again...

It's like a personality disorder or something. One part of me wants to cycle as much as possible and to enjoy smashing KOMs while the other wants the attention and everything that comes with being buff. Too bad you can't be both at the same time without being average at best in either.
>>
File: 1407025761697.gif (2MB, 242x319px) Image search: [Google]
1407025761697.gif
2MB, 242x319px
>>1069054
>and you just realize how fucking boring weightlifting is

It's funny how that works isn't it, riding for 5 hours to a place you've never ridden to before is more exciting than an hour in the gym or on the exercise bike.
Some years ago I lost 20kg with an exercise bike and weightlifting, I didn't have a real bike with me in the apartment and I was scared of riding in such a busy city.
I then had to move back to my home town, depression set in, I didn't lift weights and wasn't using the exercise bike, so I gained all the weight back and some more.
Then something incredible happened, I took my old bike that I used to ride before going to college out of the basement, and now I'm riding again and it's awesome.

The exercise bike always seemed like an chore no matter what, even if I combined it with watching a movie you're always focused on the time, you've got to sit there and pedal till you've sat there for long enough.
On a real bike you are actually going somewhere, I set goals of towns/cities I want to ride to, or improve my times or average speed, or climb some peak. It's never boring when you do it as a hobby, it never feels like a chore.
I'm also slowly getting back to my normal weight, but 30kg will take a lot of time. If only there was something that was like riding an actual bike compared to an exercise bike, but for weightlifting that would be awesome.
I suppose swimming is sort of like that, but it's hard to do when all the swimming pools are prohibitively expensive and there are no seas or oceans nearby.
>>
I've never had problems with finding motivation for lifting. It's not like I absolutely love it but it isn't a chore to me either. Something I do to stay in shape. Riding on an exercise bike/trainer on the other hand is the most mind numbing shit ever. I can go 5+ hour days for weeks without getting bored and waiting forward to the next ride but lasting over 15 minutes on a stationary bike is a challenge.
>>
File: michael-rasmussen.jpg (20KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
michael-rasmussen.jpg
20KB, 604x403px
>>1070455
>>1070466
>>1069054
I complelty get your point familia, I havent ridden anything (yes, I commuted and did some intervals but I dont count dat shit) this winter due to ultra bad weather I did the fewest riding I ever did in winter - time for a gym sport...lifting - GAY, do some home calistenics - MEH, boxing - might...lets try BJJ. I love it, its relativly good for muscle and so fun to spar, good for selfdefense also in certain conditions.
>>
>>1070445
of course you can do both, you can even box,lift and cycle and still gain weight. Just remember its all about caloric surplus, eat more than you burn.
>>
I've been lifting since December but now losing motivation. I just want to ride my bike.

>tfw PR'd some DH trails today
>smashed an old PR by 4 minutes.
>tfw probably not gonna mountain bike this week and just train on the roadbike so I won't get so winded on climbs to fun trails
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.