[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking on picking up a bike to ride to and from th

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled.jpg (277KB, 1665x1031px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
277KB, 1665x1031px
I'm looking on picking up a bike to ride to and from the gym, maybe a little off road also. Saw this GT bike for half a price but I don't know if the parts on it are quality and not just some overpriced pos.

So, is this a good bike for the price? https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/gt-adult-aggressor-pro-mountain-bike-17gtxmggrssrprxxxprf/17gtxmggrssrprxxxprf?color=Cyan+Blue&camp=AFF:mediapartner:TEXT_LINK::10451:xCe3UG3eCyr1zFmSzLRE5XdEUkhyWcRciSRuxM0:342466&irgwc=1
>>
Pretty good deal considering its new desu
>>
>>1062800
90s mtb with semislicks.
>>
>>1062803
Enough with your semislick bullshit, they suck ass. Knobs or slicks, nothing else
>>
>>1062800
IF youre just looking for a bike to do some light commuting, back and forth to the gym, that bike will do you fine, although commuting on an MTB is a little clunky at times\

are you going to be utilizing those bigger tires and front shock or are you going to be solely doing road riding? If you're just going to be on the road id recommend taking a look at this one as well: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nishiki-adult-manitoba-hybrid-bike-16nisanshkmntb15xfbb/16nisanshkmntb15xfbb?&color=Black/Yellow

the GT does have disc brakes and separate brakes/shifters (as opposed to the Nishiki having the one piece brake/shifter style)

Componentr wise they're both fine, I work at a Dick's and have not ever had consistently reoccurring problems with either of these bikes
>>
For a $300 bike it's very good. Solid frame, some Shimano parts and nothing there that looks dangerous or likely to annihilate you.

Bars aren't great, fork is below average, tyres are sub par and the cranks will not hold up to heavy use. That said, none of those things really matter for what you're using it for and it will ride a lot better than most other bikes for the price.
>>
>>1062806
Could you give me a link for 26*2.0ish slicks?
>>
>>1062828
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-active-line-26-tyre-with-kevlar-guard/
These are available in 26 x 1.95
I'm sure you could find some wider ones googling around
Shame almost all of them have some sort of bullshit cosmetic "tread", I guess normies still don't trust full-slick
>>
>>1062828
if you are OP, that bike you posted is a 27.5er

if you're not OP, disregard this post
>>
>>1062800
>maybe a little off road also
If you're not sure if you'll be riding off road it seems silly to prioritise off road riding by getting a mountain bike. Also, depending on the particular terrain you may not even need (or benefit from) a mountain bike with front suspension.
>>
>>1062808
>>1062841
There's a park near by that have some some good trails that I'm considering so still 50/50 on the off road part but it's there. How bad is it to commute with a MTB? Lastly I'm 5"6 male, so which frame size should I be using?
>>
>>1062828
schwalbe kojak, thickslicks
>>
>>1062861
You're gonna want a small, seat tube measurement will probably be around 14-16". Commuting on a mountain bike isn't bad, it'll just be slower. I commute on a full suspension bike and it's fine. Obviously the longer your commute the bigger difference it's going to make, although it's going to be faster off road and might make some short cuts more viable.
>>
>>1062861
commuting with an MTB is fine, like >>1062890 said it can make some shortcuts and fun stuff more viable as opposed to the other one i posted. If it's your only bike, then go with the MTB since you can handle more varied types of terrain with it and find out what you like and dont like riding on
>>
>>1062800
That's a sidewalk bike disguised as a mountain bike. It's shit. If your primary concern is pavement commuting and you want to do a little bit of non-technical dirt riding, any of these is good:
Kona Dew Plus
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus
Cannondale Bad Boy
Giant Escape
Salsa Vaya
Surly Straggler
All-City Macho Man
Kona Jake
Or if you want to buy used, 80s-90s rigid mtb with semislicks.
>>1062806
Fuck off, stupid fucking moron. Other anon is right. Semislicks are best for OP.
>>
>>1062861
https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer
How far is your commute? WIll you be doing road/pavement rides for fun or just to commute? (protip: Even if your answer is 'just to commute' you'll end up doing them for fun too)
>>
>>1062907
>That's a sidewalk bike disguised as a mountain bike
What the fuck is a sidewalk bike? It's a legit mountain bike, just a low end one.
>>
>>1062910
A sidewalk bike is a bike designed to be ridden by kids on the sidewalk. That bike will break if you try to actually mountain bike on it.
If you want a mountain bike to actually use for mountain biking and don't want to pay much, get a used trail bike on pinkbike.com/buysell
>>
>>1062911
You're an idiot.
>>
>>1062916
No, you are an idiot.
>>
>>1062920
No, you are. You obviously don't know shit when it comes to mountain bikes. Your road bike list is pretty legit though, best stick to those.
>>
>>1062923
No, you are an idiot.
>>
>>1062985
No, you are an idiot.
>>
>>1062907
>>1062908
>>1062923
What about Raleigh brand mtb? I got a corporate discount on this bikes and I'm only looking to spend around $300-$400.

https://www.raleighusa.com/tekoa-2328#bike_assembly For example I can get this for $360 after discount.
>>
>>1063549
That's a fine bike.

It's a bit weird over here in the UK, despite being a British company Raleigh doesn't seem to sell their high end mountain bikes here (even though they sell high end road, cyclocross, and electric bikes), just their low end junk that's barely suitable for children.
>>
>>1063566
Is this Raleight tekoa bike is allot better than the GT that I posted on this topic? Or is it just about the same amount of low end parts?
>>
>>1063570
The Raleigh is a little better although they're both around the same level, probably the biggest upgrade over the GT is the hydraulic brakes (cable brakes aren't worth bothering with, if you can't get a bike with them then always factor in the cost of replacing them).

One big difference, that doesn't make one better than the other, is the wheel size. The GT will handle better due to the smaller wheels and the Raleigh will be slightly smoother over bumpy terrain (although you probably wouldn't notice), that said I'd still go for the Raleigh out of those two even though I think 29" is dumb.
>>
>>1063578
Lastly, how difficult is it to assemble a bike like this? Around how much would it cost to have a bike shop put this together for me?
>>
File: wew.jpg (19KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
19KB, 337x450px
>>1062861
>5"6
>>
>>1063584
if you order the one from Dicks, they can assemble it for you for free if you take it in to one of their stores. Otherwise it's around $50 or so, as far as ive seen
>>
>>1063578
>cable brakes aren't worth bothering with

this is a non-issue. Cable brakes are the smart choice for most people, hydraulic setups come with too much extra maintenance to worry about
>>
>>1063652
They require less and less frequent maintenance than cable discs, there's no cable to wear or snap and they automatically adjust for pad wear and are less likely to rub. When it comes time to bleed them if you really can't do it yourself then you simply ride to a bike shop and pay them $20 or so to do it for you. Apart from that they feel and perform much better.
>>
>>1063566
Is Raleigh actually a British company any more? I though it was basically a name owned by some multi-national conglomerate that gets applied to contract-manufactured bike from the Far East (like Schwinn here Stateside)
>>
>>1063745
Raleigh UK, Canada, and USA are now owned by a Dutch company called Accell who also owns Lapierre and Ghost. Raleigh in Germany is owned by another Dutch company called Pon, who owns Gazelle and Cervelo. Raleigh headquarters are still in Nottingham, England, but I don't really know what significance that really has.
>>
>>1063584
>Lastly, how difficult is it to assemble a bike like this?
You need a lot of tools, some of which are bike-specific.
>Around how much would it cost to have a bike shop put this together for me?
$50-$100
>>
>>1063549
>https://www.raleighusa.com/tekoa-2328#bike_assembly
>bike that retails for $650 with a suspension fork
Guaranteed to be shit. If you want something cheap, get one of the first five bikes listed in >>1062907
Or if you want Raleigh (these would be about equally as good as those in the other post), the Cadent and Redux would be good options. They can be had for around the same price as the Raleigh you linked but they'll be better bikes. Both can handle light off-road/dirt use, but compared to each other, the Cadent will be mostly pavement oriented, whereas the Redux will be a little slower on pavement but more comfortable on dirt and rough surfaces.
tl;dr Don't get the one you linked. Get a Cadent or Redux instead.
>>
File: Raleigh.jpg (483KB, 1926x1999px) Image search: [Google]
Raleigh.jpg
483KB, 1926x1999px
>>1063811
Which one? There's so many version of the same bike name.

BTW this is the price I'm looking at with my corporate discount.
>>
>>1064015
The best one you can afford. The only difference the numbers make is that higher number = higher end components and more expensive. Higher end components mean the bike will ride more nicely (crisper shifting and braking, etc = feel nicer to ride) and last longer so you won't have to replace parts as soon.
>>
>>1064015
Btw when I go to the Raleigh website I see those same discounted prices, looks like they just have everything on sale or something. So if you get a corporate discount maybe you can get even cheaper?
>>
>>1064015
Also, I should add: While higher number = better parts/better bike, it depends if you'll be commuting a lot and leaving it locked up unattended for a long time. For something like that, you don't want high end stuff cause then thieves like it. That's where it's nice to have an 80s or 90s bike (which can be had cheap on craigslist). Thieves aren't really interested in them but they ride really nicely.
>>
>>1062800
Good bike for commutes but too flashy imo so I'd spend $ on a lock
>>
>>1066664
>flashy
>a bike from a sporting goods store
lol?
>>
>>1062800
If you don't plan on intensive off-road use, full rigid would be best for commuting, and commuting should definitely be prioritized when looking for a commuter bike. I'll also have to agree with >>1062803 in saying that semislicks are a good idea, as full slicks would be too focused to road riding and normal mountain tires too focused to off-road. Don't invest in a brand new bike for a basic commuter, find some shit at a garage sale, flea market, or on Craigslist or the likes that is either currently usable as or easily converted to (tires, tubes, maybe seat and handlebars) a commuting bike
>>
>>1062911
>That bike will break if you try to actually mountain bike on it.

Even a fucking $79 Roadmaster won't do that unless you are DHing. The only ones that really fail are the springy dual suspension NEXT and Huffy bikes. You rattled off a giant list of meme bikes.
>>
File: 1452478820707.jpg (20KB, 281x266px) Image search: [Google]
1452478820707.jpg
20KB, 281x266px
>>1066667
>Your typical inner city bike thief will steal some ugly/generic looking Surly hipster steel bike instead of the cheaper but infinitely cooler looking GT bike
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.