[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two weeks ago my girlfriend decided that we needed a new exercise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: huffy vantage 3.0 PLUS TIRE.jpg (73KB, 808x576px) Image search: [Google]
huffy vantage 3.0 PLUS TIRE.jpg
73KB, 808x576px
Two weeks ago my girlfriend decided that we needed a new exercise to start losing weight. I weigh 300 pounds, so it was really about me losing weight more than her.

I was originally against the idea because the last time I rode a bike, I broke it while going to the convenience store to buy more food to stuff myself with. Truly a fitting punishment for my bad lifestyle choices. I weighed 330 at the time. After I broke it I was too embarrassed to try and ride again.

I tried jogging and eating better, which is how I lost the original 30 pounds, but I began to get shin splints and that hurt like hell, forcing me to stop exercising for days at a time while I healed. After some research we found that due to my weight, bicycling and swimming were likely our best choices for low/no impact cardio exercises.

Since there is no pool that is easily accessible nearby, we opted for bicycling. I bought a Huffy Vantage 3.0 because it had the plus tires and it could support my weight. Regular tires can't. I didn't think I'd like it very much at first, but I've actually been loving riding the local walking/jogging trail at the park and around my neighborhood. But I couldn't help but notice two glaring issues with the bike.

The first, and most annoying, was that when I try to shift into the lowest gear on the 3x crank set, the chain stays in second gear for a long time. The only way I can get it to actually go into the next gear is by shifting my rear derailleur into a higher gear. If I don't do it this way the chain will sometimes come off. It's like a gamble, sometimes it'll fall, sometimes it'll shift.

Could this be a problem with the chain length? Or is it more likely a problem with the set up of the front derailleur? If neither, what is the most likely thing it could be.
>>
>>1061704
The second thing is when I shift into a high gear while trying to build speed/putting the bike under load, the gears will slip and cause me to lose momentum. I did a bit of research and found that this may be caused by damaged teeth or the like, but I can't seem to find any damaged teeth. It's a brand new bike, although not very expensive, so I would expect that it would last a little longer than this.

What should I do to try and fix this problem? Is it a common problem? Or am I just paying for buying a cheaper bike? What would you recommend I do now?

I am rediscovering my love for bicycle riding,and it is helping me exercise and lose weight, but I cannot afford to buy a brand new bike. Though I may be able to replace some parts and do the work myself. I have access to the internet for how to videos, and plenty of tools and a workshop, as my father owns an auto shop.

I would really love to keep on riding, any and all help or advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
Sounds like your gears aren't properly indexed. Guaranteed the front isn't with that description and rear problems might be partly caused by shitty indexing. There are plenty of videos on how to index gears in YouTube if you want to try doing it yourself. It's really simple to do and doesn't require any tools as long as they're in the right ballpark when you start working. Or you can take it to a LBS if you are afraid of doing it yourself.

The problem with rear shifting can also be caused by you trying to shift under too much load. You shouldn't shift under full load as it may cause all kinds of problems. So when you're building up speed and shift to a higher gear you want to slightly ease up the pedaling as the derailleurs do their job. If you try to change gears under load the chain is more likely to skip or even drop completely as it doesn't have full contact with the sprockets while switching from one to another.
>>
>>1061733
Thank you for the advice, I'll try and correct the indexing and see if that helps.

Also, about the gears slipping, I feel like I should make it clear that I am not shifting while under load. I make sure to pedal lightly until I am in the gear I want.

The slipping happens when I try to put a heavy load on the bike. It happens in every gear depending on what I'm doing. Going uphill I slip in low gear, and downhill I slip in high gear.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1061704
Ditch the derailleur gears and get a SRAM Automatix 2-speed hub, friend
>>
>>1061781
Ignore this post
>>
>>1061778
Yeah, just take it to the local bike store. Hopefully they will tune it for you for free.
>>
>>1061778
Sounds like a worn chain/cassette/chainrings. But if your bike is brand new then that doesn't make much sense. And the teeth should be clearly worn for that to be the root cause, and it usually starts out with one gear that is the most worn out. I guess it could be because your rear indexing is fucked and the chain wants to change to a different gear but can't. You should notice that while shifting though.
>>
>>1061778
CHain can be too long. Easy fix at a local bike shop
>>
>>1061781
no
>>
>>1061704
Eat less, fatty.
Start looking at bikes when you're human again.
>>
>>1061733
I don't think this is the cause. It's probably a frayed cable, take a look at the front derailleur cable end and if there are any loose strands whatsoever, replace it.

#2 suspect is the chain being dirty. Clean and re-lube it thoroughly.

#3 suspect is the upper limit being too low, but be careful with this one. If you overdo it, it'll lead to dropped chains.

It's probably indexed just fine. Not sure about your chain skip problem, but skips are usually on the cassette end of things. Need more information.

Godspeed anon on your journey to lasting weight loss
>>
>>1061819 here

>>1061794 is entirely possible, investigate that.
>>
nice that you are getting into cycling.

I encurage you to diy as much as possible on your bike.
it's part of the experience in my opinion and it'll help to further understand everything.
>>
>>1061704
Get some di2 Xtr for that thing. You'll lose weight from that.
>>
>>1061704
First, please use the bike questions general thread.

Your front shifting issue can be caused by the front derailleur cage not being aligned with the chain rings, the low limiter screw being screwed slightly too far in, and/or the cable tension being to tight.

Skipping on all cogs could be caused by a stretched chain, worn front chain ring teeth, chain between cogs in the rear.

Sometimes Wal-Mart bikes have been returned and the components are not actually new
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.