[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most /n/ bike out of these three options? >ot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: collectable.jpg (187KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
collectable.jpg
187KB, 500x375px
What is the most /n/ bike out of these three options?
>ots
>90s rigid mtb with slicks/semislicks
>highly collectable bike like pic related
http://www.strawpoll.me/12690682
>>
>>1061583
there's no option for "you're a dink"
>>
>widely available category of bikes
>thing that's harder to do properly than it sounds
>forced meme
define "most /n/"
>>
>>1061585
What the fuck is a dink?
>>
>>1061586
>>thing that's harder to do properly than it sounds
What?
>>
>>1061587
Like a penis, but Canadian.
>>
>>1061587
what my grandfather calls vietnamese people
>>
Reminder that only dumb memesters actually participate in these polls and their results mean nothing
>>
>>1061654
Was your grandfather a murderer who murdered innocent Vietnamese people in an unjustified war of aggression waged by the tyrannical United States dictatorship against the innocent Vietnamese?
>>
>>1061588
90% of the old rigid mtbs on the second hand market are complete shit.
>>
>>1061860
True but there's a fuckload of them so 10% is still a lot.
>>
>>1061583
I voted for OTS because I have a few, but a 90s rigid MTB is a bike that can do anything. It can ride on and off road, is durable, and comfortable for casual riders that don't like drop bars.
>>
>>1061860
How so?
Whats wrong with them?
Honest question as I need a new bike
>>
>>1061860
>>1062131
this is a fact

trashed warped heavy wheels with seized spokes
cheap components
ineffective brakes
bad saddles
possibly weighs almost 40lbs
possibly has grip shifters
>>
>>1062136
>not knowing how to fix a bike
Topkek, what a pleb.
>>
>>1062131
Nothing's wrong with them except that buying used, there is a reasonable chance that a lot of parts will need replacement or adjustment.
But in general, some 80s-90s rigid mtbs are great, some are shit, just like modern bikes. >>>/n/bbg can help
>>
>>1062139I
Is it hard to tell if a bike has a lot of wear on it?
>>
>>1061669
That's a shitty pickup line desu
>>
>>1062131
>buy 90's MTB
>looks to be in great shape
>put slicks on
>pump up to recommended pressure
>rims bulge outwards and rub on the brakes
>replace rims
>also brake pads cause they're worn
>brakes still stick to the rims cause the cables are rusted
>replace cables
>notice how the saddle doesn't stay at the same height
>cause the seatpost isn't the correct diameter for the frame
>replace seatpost
>chain starts skipping a bit
>replace chain
>skipping gets worse
>need to replace cassette and chainrings too
>no new chainrings available for the vintage crankset
>also pedals seized inside cranks
>need to replace crankset and BB
>>
File: u're stupid.png (266KB, 361x474px) Image search: [Google]
u're stupid.png
266KB, 361x474px
I'm buying a carbon fiber road bike as my first bicycle and you can't stop me /n/
>>
>>1062264
enjoy snapping it in half when you hit the first pot hole
>>
>>1062264
It's ok as long as you know how to handle it.
>>
File: road bike party 2.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
road bike party 2.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1062266
>>1062267
I bet 90% of /n/ hasn't even seen a carbon fiber bike so I'm really not worried bout what y'all think.
>>
>>1062272
Thank you bro, I was just baiting to see that vid again.
>>
File: 1484067827841.jpg (285KB, 1335x890px) Image search: [Google]
1484067827841.jpg
285KB, 1335x890px
>>1061583
>ots

WAT is dat?
>>
>>1062284
Old ten speed
>>
>>1062257
You should be checking for:
>worn sprockets (chainrings and cassettes) -- visual inspection (if troughs are flat and/or teeth are pointy, it's worn; if teeth tops are flat and troughs are rounded, it's good; as a general rule)
>chain (can only be checked with a chain measuring tool, not visually; just assume it probably needs a new chain)
>wheels: see if they wobble when they spin
>tires: see if they look worn out, if the tread is worn or they are starting to fall apart
>bearings: feel if there is any wobble in wheel hubs, headset, or bottom bracket; might need replacement or adjustment
>brakes and derailleurs: test ride, see if they work well, if not might need replacement parts or just adjustments
>>
>>1062260
Yeah because you're an idiot and bought a bike in shit condition without inspecting it and expected everything to be perfect
>be me
>buy 80s road bike that I got on craigslist
>replace tires/tubes, brake pads, chain (all items that have to be replaced often anyway)
>rides amazingly
I think I've overhauled one or maybe a few of the bearings since then but that's routine maintenance. And I ride it more than I ride all my other bikes combined including my carbon road bike.
Old bikes are awesome if you're not an idiot and don't buy garbage.
>>1062264
Cool story, bro.
>>1062267
>first bicycle
>knowing how to handle a bicycle
k
>>1062272
I have two carbon bicycles and I prefer steel. Carbon has its place of course and I love carbon bicycles, steel is just my general preference.
>>
>>1062138
yeah nah, I do know how to fix a bike, that's the problem, i like them to work properly and smoothly, and parts cost money. once you replace everything that needs replacing on almost every 90s rigid mtb, you have spent as much money as you would have on a low end brand new mtb.
and your time, my time is worth money, I don't know about yours.
>>
>>1062651
You obviously don't know how to fix bikes because if you did, then you'd know how to inspect a bike to see what needs replacement, so you'd know how to make a good purchase of a used mtb.
>>
>>1062652
I have many bikes, some of them are mtb's but none are from the 90s because they weren't good, and now are comparatively worse.

I'll just cry about not being able to fix something that's not worth having when i can afford to own (and fix) modern equipment.

brb. crying.
>>
>>1062658
I doubt you can fix modern bikes either because if you could, you would know how to check for worn sprockets, stretched chain, worn tires, worn brake pads, etc, and if you knew how to do that, you'd know how to get a good condition 90s mtb.
>>
>>1062652
>>1062652
btw do you bring your rim calipers when you buy bikes older than yourself?

I bet you haven't ridden enough to have multiple rim blow outs in your life
>>
>>1062661
Nope but I inspect visually.
>inb4 but what if there's a problem you can't see
99% of the time if a used bike seems in good shape given visual inspection and test ride by a competent person, it is in good shape. Maybe not quite as good as initially thought, but pretty good.
>>
BUMP FOR THE MEMES
>>
>90s rigid mtb has over half the votes
>>
File: troll cfr.jpg (70KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
troll cfr.jpg
70KB, 800x600px
>>
>>1062661
>rim calipers
U wot nigga? Look for the wear indicator. Use a plastic card to see the wear bevel if there isn't one.
>>
>>1061583
A carbon hybrid bike with 14 speed rohloff gear hub,pizza rack,wine bottle holder and a collection of bacon themed accessories.
>>
>>1062136
>ineffective brakes
Correct term is "authentically dangerous" you shitlord
>>
>>1064064
>Scott Drop-In bars
automatic boner
>>
>>1062284
beautiful front rack and basket
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28KB, 801x534px) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28KB, 801x534px
>>1064064
>drop bars with integrated bar ends
>>
File: amerifat.jpg (62KB, 552x419px) Image search: [Google]
amerifat.jpg
62KB, 552x419px
>>1064113
>pizza rack,wine bottle holder and a collection of bacon themed accessories.
>>
>>1064260
REKT
E
K
T
>>
>>1062647
Same. My first bike was steel and I grew up riding steel bikes throughout the 90s - they would always hold a special place in my heart. Aluminum and carbon are nice and all but it just doesn't have that same feel steel has.
>>
>>1064113
Jan, you're drunk. I love you but you're very drunk and saying very weird things.
>>
>>1061583
>What is the most /n/ bike out of these three options?
LOL none of the above. This:
>ancient half-rusted-out tenspeed from a thrift store
>downtube shifters
>dork disc
>tires so old they're crumbling away to nothing
>chain so worn, the rear derailleur threatens to self-destruct every time you shift gears
>saddle has no padding left
>drop bars upside down
>have to duct tape your feet into the broke-ass toe cages
>chain lubed with used motor oil stolen from the Jiffy Lube down the street
>STEEL IS REAL
>ONLY FAGGOT FREDS WEAR LYCRA
>GARBON IS A MEME
>>
>>1066195
It should have ghetto dick breaks just to make everyone mad
>>
less than 20 votes in total
how small this board is?
>>
>>1062260
Then why did you buy it?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.