[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's start a big cyclyng thread, share your experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (710KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
710KB, 3000x1688px
Let's start a big cyclyng thread, share your experience, stories, plans. Here's mine from year 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOnT0APHABc
>>
>>1060525
this guy really wants a girlfriend
>>
File: 1327814608982.jpg (68KB, 454x350px) Image search: [Google]
1327814608982.jpg
68KB, 454x350px
A boyscout on a mountain bike tried to race me today and I didn't even hold back.
>>
Nice, bud. I'll watch all that later. I'm going to ride across America this summer. It will be my first tour ever. I've never even ridden a loaded touring bike before. I just quit my job recently and started training.
>>
>>1060568
Go for it dude, really worths it, get some decent camera to make footage, it's really good you train beforehand, also figure out how much miles you'd be able to cover per day and not getting exhausted, its really important thing.
>>
>>1060525
That looks great, I'm too retarded to plan something as large as this
>>
File: europe2k13.jpg (104KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
europe2k13.jpg
104KB, 960x720px
Cycled from Milan back to the UK a few years back, was great.
Took it nice and slow (~50 miles a day) and had it as a good chill holiday.
Going across the alps was a bit less chill than we wanted though.
>>
hi guis I'm brad!!!!!!
>>
>>1061030
50 miles is pretty long distance, bet you train regularly. I was doing like 30 miles per day on average coz of my vegan diet.
>>
>>1061160
Fuck off Brad, nobody gives a shit
>>
>>1061160
Stop giving vegans a bad name bruh
>>
You can do the ACA TransAm trail going east to west, right? They have shoulders and everything on both sides of the road, right?

I hate my current life as an internet addicted shut-in, so I figure I'll try and get out more, and cycling across the US seems like it will fit the ticket. I'm in horrible shape so I'm sure it will suck at the beginning, but hopefully at the end I'll be more physically and mentally fit.

Also, one question since I've never ridden on roads before: when making a left turn do you try to hug the divider and let cars pass you on the right or take up the lane and make people wait as if you were a car?

And how much trouble can you get in for camping outside of a campsite in an isolated area and potentially shitting in a hole there? Early morning poops are literally my biggest worry at this point. I don't have enough money to pay for hostels or campsites very often.
>>
Too anxious and retarded to ride my bike. I'm planning on going for rides at like 4am when there's no-one out (I live in suburbia) with the goal of getting fit enough to go out into the country and ride dirt roads and national parks etc.
>>
>>1061185
Social anxiety? I only learnt to ride like a month ago, crashed into a few parked cars and I was good to go after
>>
>>1061167
I'm riding the transam this summer. People go both directions. I'm going west to east though. I'm not in the greatest shape either, but I just quit my job to start training. I only have a month and a half to train, but it's better than nothing. I'm planning on taking it slow to start (30-40 miles a day) and then working my way up to an average of 60. I'm planning on stealth camping most of the way. From what I've read, as long as you pitch camp right before sunset and leave before sunrise you should be alright. Just try to put a little bit of thought into where you're going to sleep and try to scout it out a little first. It sounds like avoiding towns and camping in between is your best bet. As for pooping, bring a little shovel and just shit in a hole. Check out crazyguyonabike.com. You can read people's journals about riding the transam. Most of them are east to west as well.
>>
>>1060991
honestly you don't need to plan much at all as long as you're sure you have gear that is able for the location you'll be going to next, some people just ride wherever they feel like the next day
>>
>>1061185
I live in NYC and 4am is the best time to ride

there are people out but only crazy people, cops, and garbage men
>>
File: full.jpg (35KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
full.jpg
35KB, 600x450px
Hey boys, please like and subscribe, feel free to leave some comments, the usual stuff, you know, peaceV
>>
>>1061160
I do 75+ miles a day touring as a vegetarian. I rarely consume milk, cheese or other animal products while touring because they don't keep well.

Being vegan is not an excuse.
>>
>>1061323
>Being vegan is not an excuse.
Then physical features are, I guess, have you been doing 75+ miles each day on three month journey? It is possible to do more miles, but I'd rather enjoy my trip than be absolutely exhausted and shattered like in a week or so.
>>
>>1061198
can confirm new york city is like this at 4am

there's also delivery people who are stocking stores and whatnot at that hour
>>
>>1061481
75+ each riding day over 3 months, sure. I normally stop to do some hiking/backpacking on off-days every now and again.

On my last trip I did an average of 66 miles a day on the bike, including the days spent off my bike entirely (again, traveling by foot in these circumstances). If you disregard those, I averaged 83.
>>
>>1061499
That's really cool, how were you feeling on the next days though? I mean, it took me a month to get used to my bike, seat, it was like torture at the beginning.
Btw, if anyone's interested, I wrote several books about my journeys, really useful when you're just getting into cycling.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/BradleyHoward
>>
>>1061818
>how were you feeling on the next days though?

Honestly, more energetic than I do after a day in the office. After a full day on the road I fall asleep instantly and wake up pre-dawn, feeling fantastic. The biggest issue after finishing was the longing for the big open spaces. Physical stuff was a total non-issue.

Granted, my last trip was not my first. I've put around 40,000 miles on my bike, 60% of them with touring gear.
>>
File: 103.jpg (106KB, 1024x1018px) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
106KB, 1024x1018px
Fuck off Brad.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.