[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the next step after 11 speed? Why are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Shimano Alfine 11 Hub gear.jpg (79KB, 880x605px) Image search: [Google]
Shimano Alfine 11 Hub gear.jpg
79KB, 880x605px
What's the next step after 11 speed?

Why are they always odd numbers?
>>
Getting a one by drive train
>>
I think it's going to go backwards, 2 chainrings and 5 speed cassettes.
>>
>>1060207
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/otb.html
>>
>>1060207

CVT I guess. Not going to happen any time soon.

>>1060318

There are a lot of reasons this is never going to happen. If you rode your bike occasionally, you might understand.
>>
>>1060207
There are already 12 IGHs (Speedhub) as well as BB mounted gearboxes that go up to 18 speeds (Pinion). As well as those two there's also the even numbered Alfine/Nexus 8 from Shimano, a 2 speed automatic shifting hub from SRAM, and I think someone made a 6 speed too.

>>1060327
>CVT I guess. Not going to happen any time soon.
Already exists from Nuvinci. They not that great for pedal powered bikes as the range sucks and they're heavy, they're pretty good for electrically assisted bikes though.

If this is going to be an IGH/gearbox thread I own a couple Alfine 11s if anyone has an questions.
>>
>>1060207
>Why are they always odd numbers?
8-Speed Alfine says hi.
>>
>>1060207
Superconducting selsyn with regenerative braking and freely reconfigurable drive ratio.
>>
>>1060327
>go backwards
>lot of reasons this is never going to happen
i could see it happen for the (somewhat limited) hipster fag market
look at the single speed and fixed gear boom a couple years ago
now that's not cool, the same people are going to find something else

>>1060332
>pinion
i think this may be the future for mtb
not for road though, its too heavy
>>
>>1060207
To my knowledge there are 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,12,and 14 speed gear hubs.
A 6 speed exists in blueprint only I think(S.A)

The amount of underdrive and overdrive gears on many gearhubs are the same.And thus would make for an even number.
But Theres also the direct drive which bypasses all the gears thus adding up to an odd number

3 speeds have 1 underdrive,1 derect drive and 1 overdrive gear
Sachs P5 has 2 underdrive,1 direct drive and 2 overdrive gears
The Sachs S7 has ....You get the idea.

The shimano nexus/alfine 8 work differenly,Go watch Dan Burkhart on Youtube if you want to see how that fuckery works
>>
>>1060459
Also the Alfine 11 has no direct drive, unlike the 8.

I was going to ask what the 14 speed hub was as I earlier mistakenly said the Speedhub was 12 speed, now I'm curious what the 12 speed hub is?
>>
>>1060460
The failed cannonbal that is the Sachs Elan
>>
>>1060465
Ah yes, I remember now. I came across a few of those on Ebay (usually in parts) when searching Elan a while ago.
>>
>>1060453
>i think this may be the future for mtb
not for road though, its too heavy

Yeah, just like indexed shifting and disk brakes.
>>
>>1060471
lol yeah, fair point
>>
>>1060453
>too heavy
Shouldn't be that big of a problem with the 6.8 kg limit.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/%C3%A9monda-slr-10/p/1479200-2016/#MyReviewHeader

4.88 kg.

A Rohloff 14 speed hub is 1847 grams.
>>
>>1060207
Ten speed buddy
>>
>>1060471
Indexed shifting was around before mountain bikes were a thing.
>>
>>1061355
No such thing.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.