[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im 30 5'7 250lbs. I want to get in shape this year, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 01515_69kRGoDMJAY_1200x900.jpg (81KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
01515_69kRGoDMJAY_1200x900.jpg
81KB, 1200x675px
Im 30 5'7 250lbs. I want to get in shape this year, and Id like bicycling to be my main form of exercise.

Over the last few years my weight has gone up quite a bit, but within the last year I've managed to gain and then lose 40+ lbs with just less eating/bit more activity.

With spring around the corner should I jump right on a bicycle or should I start with walking/jogging. Im going to pick up a cheapish used "hybrid" soon and would like some pointers/past experiences on bicycling as a weight loss/life motivating tool

Pic is a $200 H400 available locally, advertised as new tires, recently gone through completely and rtr
>>
>>1059993

5'11, 250lbs. Started biking a year ago when I was 40lbs heavier.

Get an indoor trainer and get used to some ass pain and general exertion before you hit the road.

For me at least, I wasn't ready for even baby hills and wind, and it was a harsh awakening to how out of shape I was. Living on the trainer for a couple months really helped.
>>
Step 1 - Go at a hard pace for 45min - 1hour

Step 2 - have a not shit diet. No fried things, no greasy things, no candy, no snacks, no soda. cut your meat intake and processed food intake way down. basically fresh fruits and vegetables should make up 60% of your diet.

repeat forever
>>
>>1059993
Eat less, a lot less, and healthy food like the other anon says. And ride. You won't need diet and training plans. At first ride slow or you will damage yourself. Increase the effort on every ride/ every week a bit. And don't fail for the ´´recovery food´´ or you won't lose your beloved lard. After a ride, if you are hungry, just stay hydrated and wait for the meal/dinner time, and don't eat much. Eat a lot when you are gonna ride hard. Riding at a easy pace before breakfast/empty stomach also helps to lose weight.

I myself started losing weight this year because I wanted to achieve the skeltal mode for an easier riding. I'm 176cm and many years ago weighted 85-88, and then purchased a crappy foldable bike for some easy rides around the bike lanes, stopped eating a lot and lost many kg until I reached 75kg-74kg. Then I purchased a road bike few years ago and lost 4-5kg.And this year purchased a new bike and wanted to ride a lot more, in a couple of months I have lost 2-3kg, currently sitting on 66,5kg, and will stop probably at 62-63, I want a slim body but not going too much skeltal.

For motivation, join one of those pages like endomondo/strava in which you can record your distances/weight loss and stuff like that, you will se it on graphics and probably will motivate you when you see your improvements.

The last tip is to spin, never smash the pedals, always spin, better for your knees.
>>
>>1059995
>>1059996
>>1060135

Thanks will keep in mind as the start of muh xformation
>>
>>1059993
I'm 5'11, 150 lbs. I was about 215 about a year ago. This summer was amazing. I was working, but probably not as much as I should in between semesters, so I rode all the time. I tried to go on adventures and ended up burning a lot of calories. I did eat fast food frequently but kept it reasonable and always worked it into a long ride. Pizza is the worst. Walking sucks, I still hate walking. I hate running too. Maybe I have an awkward gait, but my cycling endurance is really good. I eat more now, but my weight has stayed down around 150ish (my lowest was 145 IIRC). Normally as you lose weight, your metabolism actually decreases, but my thigh muscle may have gained enough to offset this.

Also if you are riding a geared bike, get used to finding the most efficient ratio. Once you get good at doing this you can handle off-road climbs on a mountain bike. Those are the king of weight loss rides, and there's one long hill I climb (going from grassy prairie over a dam) that still makes my heart pound. A hybrid bike is great for most things but off-road cycling on very rough terrain (rough grass, hills, etc.) is tough and burns lots of calories.
>>
>>1060234
>still makes my heart pound
There is a trail near my home that goes from perfectly flat to 35 degree inclined zigzag for about 2 miles. I always tell people during the flat part, "in 2 minutes, you will wish for the sweet release of death"
>>
>>1060234
>Walking sucks, I still hate walking.
I don't mind walking, but every time I walk I can't stop thinking that it's inefficient and I should be riding instead of walking.

>>1060294
Near my town there is a very steep hill, and every year I die there on the first rides of the year when I'm not really prepared after all the eating on christmas.
>>
Op I strongly recommend cycling. It is not necessary for weight loss. Moderate exercise is but just know it doesn't have to be strenuous. And please don't focus on the calories out aspect of exercise, just try to enjoy it.

To loose weight, you must heal your metabolism. Dieting, as in starving yourself or "counting calories" damages your metabolism and leads to binge eating and rebounding.

I recommend as healthy of food choices as you feel happy eating and STEADY daily calorie intake of at least 2500cals. Keep stress levels as low as possible. Moderate exercise daily. Daily dose of sunshine. As much sleep as possible.

Traditional dieting weight loss strategies that include strenuous exercise to starve the body, are beginning to be universally dismissed as catastrophically unhealthy. Look up metabolism health. Healthy people eat a lot but aren't fat. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. Those losses aren't permanent.
>>
>>1059996
>>1060156
>Way to blow up and quit after a month
Just ride slow dude. Spend time on your bike.
Explore your town, go places you've never been before, stop when you want a rest. Fuck your weight goals, just ride because it's fun. Fitness will come to you.
>>
>>1060660
this desu, got to explore parts of my city I'd never heard of
>>
>>1060294
I doubt this somehow
>>
>>1060648

saved as /fit/ trolling copypasta
>>
>>1059996
>yfw /n/ has better nutritional awareness than /fit/
>>
>>1060648
A weight loss lifehack I've found is going for a long ride right after waking up so that your body is in ketosis and metabolizing fat instead of carbs. Makes you feel full too but that's mainly because of the keto energy rush. If you do this high it makes it even more effective (though you might eat more then) and you can use the increased focus to do other things after the workout. You can even only eat fats to maintain it if you want, too. That being said, I'm 6'2 and like 150 pounds so I've never actually tried losing more than like 5 pounds. But you should look into ketosis and fasting and shit. There was a guy who fasted on just water and vitamins for a year and lost like 200 pounds
>>
>>1060660
Best advice, just ride for fun and explore and you'll end up having done like a 20 mile ride without even noticing.
>>
>>1060660
>st ride slow dude. Spend time on your bike.
>Explore your town, go places you've never been before

This helped me a lot. Maybe a mountain bike would be nice for going off-road.
>>
>>1059993
You are too fat for exercise. Just diet first.
>>
>>1060996
>You are too fat for exercise. Just diet first.
Cycling is the best exercise for heavy people. 250 lbs is absolutely not too heavy. So what if he gets out of breath? It's better than running which is hell on your knees. As long as you don't have serious heart problems, just ride.
>>
>>1060728
This is not how ketosis works. You have to starve your body of sugars for a long time before it will begin eating itself. If op wants to go on bike rides he will need food energy in form of sugar to do so. Fasting will deprive him of his ability to exercise and be stress free.

>>1060996
Do not diet. Heal. If you are fat, you are unhealthy. Being fat is a symptom of your unhealthiness. Don't treat the symptom, don't focus on weight loss. Exercise moderately and enjoyably, reduce stress, get sleep, improve food quality, etc.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.